PDA

View Full Version : Wierd ass computer problem...

suprafreak6
03-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I got an old athlon xp here the problem is...randomly the pc will turnon...the only way for you to turn the power on is turn off power supply then turn it on and push button...nothing happens but then 10 seconds later finally starts up...
i tested the powersupply with a powersupply tester and it seems stable...all rails are stable too...im thinking all this dust and cobwebs are gross and i should clean that out...could it be a mobo problem?

Virtualbody1234
03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Specs?

What motherboard?

zapjb
03-25-2007, 09:05 PM
If you're talking "dust and cobwebs". I'd say the physical on/off switch is gunked up.

suprafreak6
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
hmm...i think zapjb is onto something...

mobo is leadtek K7NCR18G-Pro

Uhh as for other specs id have to check when i turn it on...

hmm...what the heck...cleaned out the computer and now what happens is the green led in front turns on...but the power switch doesnt even let the computer turn on...im gonna recheck the connections coming from the front because original manufacturer probably fucked up

i got all the wires in the right spots... it just wont turn on now....what the heck....

If you're talking "dust and cobwebs". I'd say the physical on/off switch is gunked up.

is there a way i can be positve its that before i go out and buy a new case...?

hmm im clueless...

clocker
03-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Try another PSU.
It's NOT the switch...almost never is.

suprafreak6
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
yes clocker...i will try another PSU...
Today i pushed the power button and i came on this computer and all of a sudden it turned on...thats the wierd kinda stuff im talking about...and the fan was being uber loud in the PSU but when the PSU was connected to the Power supply checker it was quiet...
so yeah clocker ill give that a try.

clocker
03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Power supply checkers are at best an "indicator" of the unit's health.
Many's the supply that has tested good that still didn't work.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you cause if it ain't the PSU it'll be the motherboard.

suprafreak6
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Clocker...take me in as your apprentice...
:lol:
Yup was the PSU...gots me another one from local store...bout to put it in...
The owner should be happy...
man clocker its amazing how much experience can help you...im glad i have FST behind me.
Thanks everyone who tried helping with today's CSI case.