PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Film ?

crazy_billy_bats
05-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Im goin to have to say first of all:
The Ring - the re-done american version, i loved it, saw it in the cinema, and it genuinely scared me. Original also scary.

Blair witch is up there, as when it first came out so long ago (remember?) there was serious talk that it was ACTUALLY REAL!

hmmmm... how about the first Childs Play ? it did scare me a bit...i was kinda young dudes :lol: seeing a doll runnin around like that can scar u for life !!!

mark845
05-30-2003, 05:57 PM
dont no if i've spelt this right, but mine has got to off been poltergeist when i was a kid that film realy put the the shits up me big time, i've never looked at a tv the same way again lol

zegglechili
05-30-2003, 06:51 PM
yeah the ring had my friend shit scared we watched it last week now she thinks she going to die on sunday afternoon a week after she watched it lol... cos technically she watched the same video that killed them all. good film... but the one that made me jump belive it or not was "when darkness falls" that witch is like a fridge magnet sticking to walls like that - really good film took me a week to download of a 56ker though! :lol:

I liked it...

my favourite scary scene would be 13 ghosts where the man gets cut apart by two doors and the front half of his body slides to the floor... you can see his eyes and everything... and also the part where the woman got crushed lol... i liked them bits very cool but gory dont make u jump but its just cool

Guillaume
05-30-2003, 07:43 PM
I'll always remember the first time I saw "Jaws": I was 10 or 11 years old and it Summer had just begun. That summer I went to the sea with my parents... And almost crapped my pants each time I went swimming!

A few months ago I had the same sensation when watching a japanese movie, "Kaïro", and I'll never perceive my PC the way I did before...

thegroggman
05-30-2003, 07:44 PM
I dont know...these days...Hollywood has seemed to have stopped making quality horror films. All that they put out are films, that have moments that make you jump...but thats just a gimmick...cuz the films themselves arent actually scary. One exception though, to me, was the film Below. I saw this in an empty theatre with my girlfriend...perfect mood for the film. I mean...it has those moments that will make you jump, but it is also genuinely creepy. When I was a kid...The Texas Chainsaw Massacre freaked me out...oh and Jaws...these days I still like those two films, but they arent really scary any more.

chrhein
05-30-2003, 07:48 PM
The Ring, american version is really scarry! Ive never looked at 8 year old girls the same way since. Darkness falls i great to

shn
05-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Texas Chainsaw massacre was gruesome. And it had that old vintage horror look to it. One downfall though: it was too short in film lenghth. But, then again with as stupid as those people were that were in it, Id imagine It wouldnt take long to kill anybody that dumb. :lol:

crazy_billy_bats
05-30-2003, 08:01 PM
suppose....
forgot jaws pretty obvious...

i was also thinking father of the bride 2.....
menacing....

but on a more serious note,

the first Elm Street anyone?first time u saw it?

thegroggman
05-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah I agree about the first Elm Street...and Friday the 13th and Halloween for that matter. But thats cuz we were young back when those came out. I mean....theyre still entertaining...but they lost their 'horror' appeal.

crazy_billy_bats
05-30-2003, 08:13 PM
well whats the most modern with genuine horror appeal then bro !!?

I reckon still Blair, only because of its originality, and more suspense, culminting in a no show i admit :lol: but it was quite chilling in some scenes.

thegroggman
05-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Im still going to have to say Below...if you havent seen it, Id suggest picking it up..if you can find a copy that is. Yeah...Ill admit Blair Witch had some truly creepy moments...but the end was such a total let down.

crazy_billy_bats
05-30-2003, 08:32 PM
and Dream warriors..??
i mean, come on, that wheel-chair would make anyone shit themselves (this is NOES III, right?)
where freddy inserts his blades miraculously transformed into needles into some bitch and delivers the classic ".....what a rush"
http://members.rogers.com/maberg7657/image/freddy%201.jpg

and also....
which jason starts on a boat ?? and he gets the girl with some sort of spear-cum-harpoon ?!!!! :lol: :lol:
is that manhatten too ?!!!

CharlieManson
05-30-2003, 08:35 PM
When I first watched "The Omen", that scared the crap out of me. Also watching "Candyman I" for the first time was scary. You just wanted to say "Candyman" five times in the mirror and see what would happen..lol

GeeZa
05-30-2003, 08:42 PM
The Exorcist, Not only my all time fav horror movie but one of my
all time best films ever made, first saw it when i was 10, didnt sleep
for weeks.

Evil Dead is cool too.

crazy_billy_bats
05-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by GeeZa@30 May 2003 - 20:42
didnt sleep
for weeks.
shit one.
must have been on the X sumthin shockin dude.... :lol:

love the infamous cut "spider-walk" scene from the exorcist. great, really really scarey film. i mean, there was...one was it, attributed deaths on set?

EsssBee
05-30-2003, 09:03 PM
I was about 9 when i saw the exorcist freaked me out for weeks.

if you dance with the devil, the devil dont change, the devil changes you.

and it did lol

Esss

FuzzyNutz
05-30-2003, 09:04 PM
"Glitter" scared the crap outta me!! Seriously though, I didn't really think The Ring was all that scarey... but I'm into REALLLLLY scarey stuff like Romero's zombie series... also some of the old Italian horror movies of the 80's really put a creeper into me... The Beyond, Suspiria, Lucio Fulci's flicks.... Can't get that kinda stuff anymore. Also check out Battle Royale... not exactly SCAREY but very very very disturbing...

FuzzyNutz
05-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Actually I'm watching City of the Living Dead right now. BLAH what was Argento THINKING?? At least it has gore a-plenty! The story is pretty stupid and the acting is crud. Cool, some guy is getting his brains tore out of his skull.... cool and he was a main character. Gotta love when the director isn't afraid of killing of a truly main character!!

crazy_billy_bats
05-30-2003, 09:09 PM
i remember seeing some mad australian one once.
it was fucking weird, like half head's melting and stuff

GeeZa
05-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Cool Aussie Horror........
Bad Taste - Good But daft
BrainDead - Loads-a-Gore

FuzzyNutz
05-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Actually you guys are wrong. Those are from New Zealand by none other than Peter Jackson (remember? director of Spiderman? lol) ... "Your mother ate my dog!!"

AlanPartridge
05-30-2003, 09:55 PM
I thought The Shining was pretty scary when I first saw it; the young woman in the bath who turns old, the kid on the bike meeting the twin girls, REDRUM, All work and no play and the whole thing about Jack going mad etc etc etc...

hekterskelter
05-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Friday the 13th part 1. I was six when I first saw it couldn't sleep for a week. Also would have to say jeepers creepers.

FuzzyNutz
05-30-2003, 10:09 PM
You actually LIKED jeepers creepers? Pray tell me what you liked about the film, cause I thought it was total garbage.... nothing endearing about it whatsoever except for the first 30 minutes when they were on the road. They could have done so much but the writers decided to take the movie into a totally different (ie stupid) direction. I mean come on, why does the song play whenever the creeper thing comes around? Lammmmmmmmmme. At least Friday the 13th had a cool twist at the end of the movie (Jason wasn't the killer, remember?) but all that happened at the end of jeepers was a stupid gag with the boy... I hated that movie. Sorry bub.

AlanPartridge
05-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Peter Jackson directed Spiderman? Oops!!! ;)

ricroc911
05-30-2003, 10:19 PM
I have to agree, Jeepers Creepers was ok until u found out it was a mutant that ruined the film would of been better something beleiveable, but my scariest has to be the Exorcist, that shit is real and freaked me out for a few days :ph34r:

FuzzyNutz
05-30-2003, 10:25 PM
I said Spiderman, but in fact I meant Lord of the Rings... Sam Raimi directed Spiderman... he also directed the Evil Dead films.... Sorry about that mixup..... just thought it was funny that the two highest grossing films of all time were directed by what hollywood would consider 'hacks'... LOTR was also filmed in New Zealand.

Jeepers Creepers blowz. 'Nuff said.

kalashnikov
05-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by AlanPartridge@30 May 2003 - 21:55
I thought The Shining was pretty scary when I first saw it; the young woman in the bath who turns old, the kid on the bike meeting the twin girls, REDRUM, All work and no play and the whole thing about Jack going mad etc etc etc...
i agree the shinning i think was one of the scariest by my favourite director stanley kubrick. the best

FuzzyNutz
05-30-2003, 10:55 PM
The Shining was alright, but didn't really scare me much.... don't know why. I usually don't like the Stephen King films.... Pet Semetary was pretty scarey though, I suppose.

AlanPartridge
05-30-2003, 11:03 PM
No, Stephen King films are never as good as his books used to be, although Misery was pretty good

Rocktron
05-30-2003, 11:03 PM
The Eye...
scared the bits Jesus out of me!

hekterskelter
05-31-2003, 03:40 AM
just liked jeepers because it was different. Good guys didn't win. anyone heard anything on this new zhombie movie coming out got a number for a title. supposed to be some real scarry stuff.

hekterskelter
05-31-2003, 03:43 AM
oh yeah also the brady bunch movies!

FuzzyNutz
05-31-2003, 03:46 AM
You said you liked Jeepers Creepers "cause it was different. good guys didn't win." guess what? In almost all horror movies good guys don't win. Dawn of the Dead, nobody wins cause the world is screwed. Nightmare on Elm Street, nobody won, Freddy was still around. Friday the 13th, everybody died. So, please tell me again what is different about Jeepers Creepers, other than the bad guy has absolutely no redeeming qualities. I hope the series rots and goes away. It's horrible.

FuzzyNutz
05-31-2003, 06:04 AM
You actually LIKED jeepers creepers? Pray tell me what you liked about the film, cause I thought it was total garbage.... nothing endearing about it whatsoever except for the first 30 minutes when they were on the road. They could have done so much but the writers decided to take the movie into a totally different (ie stupid) direction. I mean come on, why does the song play whenever the creeper thing comes around? Lammmmmmmmmme. At least Friday the 13th had a cool twist at the end of the movie (Jason wasn't the killer, remember?) but all that happened at the end of jeepers was a stupid gag with the boy... I hated that movie. Sorry bub.

hekterskelter
05-31-2003, 06:08 AM
IN THOSE FILMS THE MAIN CHARACTER ALWAYS GOT AWAY NOT IN JEEPERS THEY KID WAS EITHER SKINNED OR LOST HIS EYES DEPENDS ON THE END. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH JEEPERS CREEPERS I WILL SUB WITH HOUSE OF A THOUSAND CORPSES. LOVED THE LAST FIFTEEN MINUTES WHEN THE GIRL IS IN DR. SATANS CAVES.

FuzzyNutz
05-31-2003, 06:09 AM
OMFG I almost forgot about Battlefield Earth, actually I wish I did forget! It was horrrrrrrrrible. Anybody notice the really really really stupid WB/UPN'esque sci-fi feel to it, although it was WORSE than the crap WB/UPN put out? I can't believe Travolta starred in this... when you look at some of his other films (excluding SNF, and all the Look Who's Talking movies (altho the first one WAS funny, I have to admit)).

I agree with Share, you have to remember that if a movie is obviously billing itself as nothing more than fluff, and saying 'sit back and just laugh at this' then you can't say it's bad, not even PA, because PA *KNEW* that it was stupid, it DID NOT try and take itself seriously! It was just meant to make some people get a cheap laugh, plain and simple. However, the Matrix 2 (not the first Matrix, that one was good) disappointed on so many levels. It was NOT entirely bad, but it was not even close to the first Matrix in style and whatnot. In fact it was Phantom Menace all over again (chancellors anyone? no emotion/characterization anyone?) Movies that try and take themselves seriously but fail horribly (Battlefield Earth) are the WORST movies.

FuzzyNutz
05-31-2003, 06:13 AM
Jeepers is not a unique movie in any way, shape, or form. It tries to borrow from the old slasher films and create a brand new character that in can rake money in from. Too bad the character of the creeper is just awful (he's not even human so why do we care about him? we care about Michael and Jason and even Freddy cause they are (or at least WERE) human so it intrigues us)... The movie was just trying to make money, nothing about the plot was even the least bit interesting. I wish the movie would go away. Even Scream had at least SOMETHING interesting and new... Jeepers offered nothing.

Ghetto...
05-31-2003, 06:23 AM
I watched to many scary movies when i was 4-9(parents allways got them) and they cant really affect me now. Alot of you said The Ring was scary, none of that was to me. Jeepers Creepers was weird, the ending was shall we say different, but not all that scary to me. Oh and the second one comes out soon. Now the only things that scard me was when I was little and watch movies the Freddy, Jason, and all them. None of them have the affect they used ot though.

Hazzy Hazz
05-31-2003, 06:32 AM
how about hellraiser? good show i would say

Suicyco247
05-31-2003, 08:12 AM
I'm a horror movie FREAK, when I was younger my ambition was to become an FX artist 'cause I loved the gore so much. From the black & white classics to modern day Hollywood fluff, there are still only a few movies that I can list as just truly scaring the piss out of me to the point that I still have a hard time watching them alone to this very day.
1)Exorcist, based on a true story(look it up, it was a 14 year old boy), and for that reason it still freaks me the fuck out.
2)Amityville Horror, based on a true story, although it's now debated that much of the story was made up to sell books/movies, I saw it when I was young and to this day the movie still really freaks me out(I'm still haunted by those lame red L.E.D. lights that were looking through the second story window).
3)Evil Dead, to this very day is my favorite movie of all time, regardless of the genre. The forest/vine rape scene is one of the top three scenes of all time. Sam Raimi WAS a genius.
4)Nightmare on Elm Street, saw this in the theaters when I was in my teens without nowing anything about it, and it freaked me out, the sequels have never compared.
In no paticular order, those are the four horror movies that have not only scared the shit out of me, but actually had some impact on my entire life.

P.S. I wish I could spell better, but even spellcheck.net had no alternatives to my misspellings.

miffo
05-31-2003, 10:59 AM
I saw steven kings IT, the TV-miniseries when I was 12 or something
was afraid that clown would be comin up the toilet for weeks

until I saw the crappy ending
damn it was really bad...

Lilmiss
05-31-2003, 11:26 AM
"the dark crystal" always scared the life outta me...in fact, i dont think i''ve seen it all the way through! :(

dadoef
05-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Dunno if you all know that all the movies you are referring to aren't horror. Horror was ment for people to laugh with not to be scared. F.e.: the old movies like dracula, everyone can see that it wasn't real and it was really overdone so actually it was funny. The type you a reffering to is a kind of thriller.
I know this from a book I've had in class about the history of movies.
But for me there were only 2 movies that scared me in my life. It was It (saw it when I was 11 so couldn't sleep for a few weeks) and Thirteen ghosts.

Grtz

Dadoef

Woodsie
05-31-2003, 11:52 AM
My top 3

1) Salem's Lot

2) Halloween

3) Hellraiser

Skweeky
05-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Exorcist 1 scared the hell out of me, I had nightmares days after!

Manny Calavera
05-31-2003, 01:52 PM
Bad taste was hillarious, Hand up arse and turned inside out!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blair witch so so

My faves are

The Thing - cult classic :unsure:

Evil dead - Still creepy

The Exorcist - as above

Probably Because I saw them when i was young.

Jaws shit the life out me as a 6yr old in the seventies but ignore the shark and you have got one of the best films ever put together

NotoriousBIC
05-31-2003, 01:54 PM
1) Blairwitch Project. Watched that alone in a big empty house...

2) Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' clip. I was 5 when I saw it. Scared the bejeezus out of me then.

p.s. Skweeky, did you figure out 'A Space Odyssey' yet?

Skweeky
05-31-2003, 02:57 PM
@ NotoriousBIC

Not really....then again, Kubrick never explained it either. He probably just found this nice piece of black stone and wanted to use it in his movie.
No, just kidding, I'll watch it again and I'll try to figure it out since no one wants to tell me :(

nizers
05-31-2003, 03:23 PM
One movie that i've always thought was really scary was "In the Mouth of Madness." Mainly because of the psychological part of it. To think that the sane and insane could switch like that really gets you thinking. This movie is probably the best at giving grown men the creeps.

crazy_billy_bats
05-31-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@31 May 2003 - 13:54
2) Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' clip. I was 5 when I saw it. Scared the bejeezus out of me then.
:lol:

NotoriousBIC
05-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@31 May 2003 - 16:57
@ NotoriousBIC

Not really....then again, Kubrick never explained it either. He probably just found this nice piece of black stone and wanted to use it in his movie.
No, just kidding, I'll watch it again and I'll try to figure it out since no one wants to tell me :(
Well, actually I did reply on your thread about it. Just look there!

@crazy_billy_bats: Yeah I know, me and my family still have a good laugh when we recall that story.
I literally jumped behind the sofa when the zombies entered the house. :D

Now WackoJacko even looks like one... :alien:

Oh, I thought of another one: Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That sound they make still gets the hair on my back stand up.

kuperaye
05-31-2003, 08:57 PM
anyone heard anything on this new zhombie movie coming out got a number for a title. supposed to be some real scarry stuff.

call 28 Days later you can download it now cuz it came out last year in england and its comming out june 27 i think in the states

rambler
05-31-2003, 09:07 PM
the ring wasnt that scary some parts were jumpy but watchin the others scream and all it was hilarious. :blink:

Havent seen the first chailds play seen the second and it was mad! :lol:

Silkycut
05-31-2003, 09:12 PM
28 days later...very scary film. Had me thinking for a few hours after it. And its british :D

crazy_billy_bats
05-31-2003, 09:21 PM
im about to watch 28 days later !!! hope i dont shit myself !!!

crazy_billy_bats
06-01-2003, 11:13 AM
this 28 days later is veryyyyyyyyyy creepy....

Homersimpson
06-01-2003, 11:21 AM
I wanna see that 28 day laetr film.....but the scariest movie is A Nightmare on Elm Street...
its the most original horror movie ever in my opinion. The 2nd Nightmare film wasn't too bad either.

crazy_billy_bats
06-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Homersimpson@1 June 2003 - 11:21
I wanna see that 28 day laetr film.....but the scariest movie is A Nightmare on Elm Street...
its the most original horror movie ever in my opinion. The 2nd Nightmare film wasn't too bad either.
Yeah the original NOES is a classic...johnny depp in one of his first roles if im not mistaken....??!

seen most of the rest of em, but not a really huge fan.
i liked dream warriors (3?), and yeah 2 was good.
never saw the 4th (a child or some shit?)...maybe i saw the 5th.....
and the 3D one? shit.....

Hazzy Hazz
06-01-2003, 02:27 PM
28 days later isn't a scary film, its juz a thriller show like resident evil

miffo
06-01-2003, 02:51 PM
saw childīs play when i was ten or something scared the hell out of me
damn that chucky is one evil little bastard :o

crazy_billy_bats
06-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by miffo@1 June 2003 - 14:51
saw childīs play when i was ten or something scared the hell out of me
damn that chucky is one evil little bastard :o
agree entirely, i said this before....
its just the thought of that wee fuckin doll runnin about after u.... shit is it on kazaa?!! im gonna look for it now !! the first was easily the scariest.
"dont fuck with the chuck" i think was his catchphrase.... :lol:

bride of chucky was a piece of shit tho