PDA

View Full Version : My Father's company was on TV!

Skiz
03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Wow, he just sent this to me via email and says he has the it saved on a VCR tape as well.

This is the business I have known most of my life that my Father started at our kitchen table growing up. 15 years later, he had a 40,000 square foot building that was the largest manufacturing plant of military medals and insignia in the USA. He sold it about 3 years ago in order to retire at age 61, to the man you see in the video, Tom.

The company name, Graco was derived from my last name - Graves Company
I worked in that same building doing all of the work you see there when I was growing up, as well as doing multiple building expansions, renovations, etc. Pretty cool to see it on YouTube. :)

V1tUaczJivU

suprafreak6
03-27-2007, 05:06 PM
thats crazy man...congrats!

Barbarossa
03-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Surely this is lounge stuff :blink:

100%
03-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Is he the only one who makes them for the army?

Skiz
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Is he the only one who makes them for the army?

He makes them for all branches of the military, but no, he isn't the only one. He is the largest though by far. The only other competition worth mentioning is Medals of America and Vanguard, but Vanguard is struggling to stay afloat as the were caught selling some restricted medals under the table that they weren't supposed to and have lost the ability to bid on government contracts.

100%
03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Watching the factory version sort of kills all the "honor" of the medal,
obviously someone has to make them

the weird element of course is that he profits from war and soldiers getting hurt
which has a bad taste in mouth twist to it.
but it seemed there was a lot of handwork involved so there is some.. personal elements involved.
The medal is important to those that serve..

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms4/usa-purple-heart.jpg

Cheese
03-28-2007, 09:07 PM
the weird element of course is that he profits from war and soldiers getting hurt

I thought it was nice to see that not only oil companies and weapons manufacturers profit from wars. I'd imagine prosthetics companies are seeing an increase in business as well.

j2k4
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Vanguard is struggling to stay afloat as the were caught selling some restricted medals under the table that they weren't supposed to...

To John Kerry, I presume. :dabs:

Busyman™
03-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm glad someone decided to clean up this thread and move it back to the Drawing Room.

Talk about a hijack.:ermm:

@Skiz - that's pretty cool.

Skiz
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Watching the factory version sort of kills all the "honor" of the medal,
obviously someone has to make them

but it seemed there was a lot of handwork involved so there is some.. personal elements involved.
The medal is important to those that serve..

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms4/usa-purple-heart.jpg

Let me just say that his business isn't centered around The Purple Heart and medals that somehow relate to injury and/or death. This is a business that runs year round, in peace-time or war. The vast majority of the medals and insignia are not for such reasons.

And certainly no one looks at it as he's profiting from a soldiers death. My Father was in the Air Force for a large portion of his life, and used to collect different medals for a hobby, from all eras, Revolutionary War to current. When he became dissatisfied with his pharmaceutical sales job after the military, he became interested in making the small ribbon bars, and it expanded from there.

That business, when my Father owned it, did more goodwill and charitable work than any other company I could name. (outside of the non-profits, etc.). After 9/11 he made tens of thousand of pins with the American flag that he gave out for free at small businesses all around town. Not for advertisements sake as there was none. It was just to do it. Any veteran that walked in off the street could have any medal that was tattered or whatever, replaced free of charge. It was just out of kindness and respect. If there was ever a family who would request a separate set of medals in a display case for a family member who had past away, or for a funeral, they were always done immediately and for free.

My Father did it because he loved what he was doing. He would probably tell you that getting paid for it was just a bonus.

Vanguard is struggling to stay afloat as the were caught selling some restricted medals under the table that they weren't supposed to...

To John Kerry, I presume. :dabs:

Actually, they were selling The Medal of Honor. It's one of the very few medal that are highly restricted in production, for good reasons. If a manufacturer gets a bid to make it (my Fathers company is the only one who's allowed to these days), the die is sent to the company and a certain amount are to be made. Then the die and the medals are to be sent directly to the government destination.

Well, Vanguard, years ago, was making more than they were supposed to and selling them quietly to collectors for a hefty price tag. The FBI caught wind of it, investigated, and they lost their privileges to bid on government work.

JPaul
03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm glad someone decided to clean up this thread and move it back to the Drawing Room.

Nice one, if we want a serious discussion about anything, then put it in the Drawing Room.

I've always agreed with that. Why should it always have to be politics and the like.

Bit uncomfortable with deleting posts that don't actually break any rules tho', if that happened. That's a bit contrary to freedom of speech. I only say this on the assumption that "clean up" is a euphemism for "delete things I don't like".

j2k4
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM

Nice one, if we want a serious discussion about anything, then put it in the Drawing Room.

I've always agreed with that. Why should it always have to be politics and the like.

Bit uncomfortable with deleting posts that don't actually break any rules tho', if that happened. That's a bit contrary to freedom of speech. I only say this on the assumption that "clean up" is a euphemism for "delete things I don't like".

As i remember, the impetus for the change to "The Drawing Room" was to serve precisely that need.

To get beyond mere "news" issues...

Skiz
03-29-2007, 01:25 AM

Well, this was moved back to the Drawing Room at my request.

It also needed that "clean up" in order for the posts to be on-topic.

Ironically, to comment on the off-topic discussion, the Drawing Room has much more potential than just politics. I actually tend to steer away from the political conversations here in the past year of so, as no one wants to listen or debate. They just want to tell each other how wrong they are, and boast their own "political-correctness". :ermm:

I'd like to see some other topics in here. :)

maebach
03-29-2007, 01:54 AM
so that wasnt your dad? Your dad must have sold tat company for alot

Busyman™
03-29-2007, 02:40 AM

Ironically, to comment on the off-topic discussion, the Drawing Room has much more potential than just politics. I actually tend to steer away from the political conversations here in the past year of so, as no one wants to listen or debate. They just want to tell each other how wrong they are, and boast their own "political-correctness". :ermm:

Very good point.

I understand what you're saying but some others clearly have another agenda and on that note, what would be the distinction between TDR and the Lounge?

I used to see someone ask a serious question in the Lounge and then folks would apeshit all over the thread. When the thread starter complains, the folks in the Lounge would remind the thread starter that....wait for it....this the Lounge.

Some want to just have fun and some wanna be dickheads. Such is loife.....

Skiz
03-29-2007, 03:34 AM
so that wasnt your dad? Your dad must have sold tat company for alot

Correct. The man in the footage is Tom Tucker, the current owner. My Pop is still a "consultant" for a few more years, so he's not totally finished with it yet.

Yes, he make a fuckload in the sale. Too bad I didn't get any of that action. :(

JPaul
03-30-2007, 07:21 AM

Agreed, other than the "clean up" part, which is tantamount to book burning. Unless there was anything which was actually offensive.

You must see this. Don't take it from me, speak to someone you know, trust and respect. Censorship is something which must be considered very gravely. It must never be done lightly.

Warning people, yes that's a given it's a policeman's job. Deleting them, no. That's a last resort.

bigboab
03-30-2007, 08:23 AM
I agree that this thread was suitable for the Drawing Room. Why did, whoever was cleaning up, leave this thread in the Drawing Room?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/the-drawing-room/t-fucking-somebody-work-167586

It has a subject IMO that is not suitable for the drawing room. It also has an offensive heading.

Chip Monk
03-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Very good point.

I understand what you're saying but some others clearly have another agenda and on that note, what would be the distinction between TDR and the Lounge?

I used to see someone ask a serious question in the Lounge and then folks would apeshit all over the thread. When the thread starter complains, the folks in the Lounge would remind the thread starter that....wait for it....this the Lounge.

Again I agree.

It's like my SportWorld point. If you want to have a serious discussion about a sporting topic post it there. People will spam, that's inevitable but Moderators can deal with that as that section will be moderated more strictly than the Lounge. If you start the same thread in The Lounge then you know it's fair game (pun intended).

I think this section should be open to any topic that people wish to discuss seriously. It should be the real lounge. With The Lounge just being a free for all, subject to the normal social rules. The difference is it will be moderated more strictly than The Lounge. Feck it says that on the door.

I think that will encourage other people to join in here, which can only be a good thing.

It's the deleting thing I have a problem with (unless it is something unacceptable). If someone posts crap then mods should deal with it by telling them. Possibly adding an infraction, placing on moderation, whatever is appropriate.

Busyman
03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Very good point.

Again I agree.

It's like my SportWorld point. If you want to have a serious discussion about a sporting topic post it there. People will spam, that's inevitable but Moderators can deal with that as that section will be moderated more strictly than the Lounge. If you start the same thread in The Lounge then you know it's fair game (pun intended).

I think this section should be open to any topic that people wish to discuss seriously. It should be the real lounge. With The Lounge just being a free for all, subject to the normal social rules. The difference is it will be moderated more strictly than The Lounge. Feck it says that on the door.

I think that will encourage other people to join in here, which can only be a good thing.

It's the deleting thing I have a problem with (unless it is something unacceptable). If someone posts crap then mods should deal with it by telling them. Possibly adding an infraction, placing on moderation, whatever is appropriate.

Well I agree, in part. I have seen post deletions of someone purposely being a dick and I have seen warnings.

I think in TDR if there are 2 pages of posts regarding whether one has cheese between their toes after a long day of work is obviously not on topic and furthermore, the posters probably intended for it to be that way.

I don't think any TDR thread should mucked up by anyone (I have been guilty myself). If my posts were deleted in those cases I shouldn't really have much of a complaint if it spans multiple pages. If it's just a coupla posts, there could be a warning. People come to TDR for serious discusion so if a person misses a day of discussion in a thread and wants to jump in, they have wade through fuck all just to find posts regarding the topic.

I agree that this thread was suitable for the Drawing Room. Why did, whoever was cleaning up, leave this thread in the Drawing Room?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/the-drawing-room/t-fucking-somebody-work-167586

It has a subject IMO that is not suitable for the drawing room. It also has an offensive heading.

Well if curse words in topic headings are against the rules in TDR then I agree. It's probably a good idea if it's not already a rule.

I disagree on the subject matter not being TDR worthy though. If there was a C&P article about the topic in the first post then you probably wouldn't be saying it wasn't suitable.

JPaul
03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, you're probably right about the deleting thing. However that's just if it's really obvious. Using your toe cheese example I don't think anyone would have real cause for complaint in a situation like that. As you said they know they are doing it anyway.

It's just the old censorship thing. Where does one stop. Who decides what should be censored and why. Something may seem off-topic to you but not vidcc. He may feel he is making a good point, whilst you think he's posting drivel. Some of what j2 posts is barely comprehensible, however I wouldn't suggest it was all deleted, much as it was at one point.

Barbarossa
03-30-2007, 03:44 PM
When are you going to start talking about the medals again :blink:

JPaul
03-30-2007, 03:51 PM
When are you going to start talking about the medals again :blink:

:lol:

Good point, well presented.

I don't think I ever talked about them actually. I just joined in when it got a wee bit interesting.

manker
03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Hoi! Where is my on-topic question gone?

I wanted to know why Skizo didn't work for his dad and if it was because he was too dim even for nepotism.

Busyman™
03-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Hoi! Where is my on-topic question gone?

I wanted to know why Skizo didn't work for his dad and if it was because he was too dim even for nepotism.

Good question.

However, I think he said his dad don't be ownin' da bizness no moor, sonson.

He could also be the reason his dad sold.:P

JPaul
03-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Indeed, maybe his dad thought "I built this up, I'm not passing it on to him".

Skiz
03-30-2007, 10:58 PM

I did work there off and on all growing up until I moved away to Austin. Even then, and even more so after college, he wanted me to move back and take over the business for him. It just wasn't what I wanted. He literally worked 15 hour days, 7 seven days a week. He practically lived at that place, and coming right out of college, I just wasn't ready to commit to that. It wasn't the hard work that turned me off, but moving back to Tomball just didn't appeal to me.

A town of 6700 was a great place to grow up and I wouldn't trade it for it World. I also like to go back every few months, and I enjoy the town and the people, but living there again really wasn't even a consideration.

Not that I get to enjoy Austin as much as I'd like to. Most days are like today where I worked 11.5 hours. :dabs:

JPaul
03-31-2007, 01:22 AM

I did work there off and on all growing up until I moved away to Austin. Even then, and even more so after college, he wanted me to move back and take over the business for him. It just wasn't what I wanted. He literally worked 15 hour days, 7 seven days a week. He practically lived at that place, ...

So long as you are aware you have unresolved issues with regard an absent parent that's cool.

I'm sure the therapy you are currently receiving is dealing with that. The mock pride at his achievements is testimony to how far you have come.

Colt Seevers
03-31-2007, 02:37 AM
I couldn't work with my old man, and when I did it would lead to domestic violence.... pain in the arse.

surely some kind of inheritance is stashed away for the Skizo-meister?

Busyman™
03-31-2007, 01:38 PM

I did work there off and on all growing up until I moved away to Austin. Even then, and even more so after college, he wanted me to move back and take over the business for him. It just wasn't what I wanted. He literally worked 15 hour days, 7 seven days a week. He practically lived at that place, and coming right out of college, I just wasn't ready to commit to that. It wasn't the hard work that turned me off, but moving back to Tomball just didn't appeal to me.

A town of 6700 was a great place to grow up and I wouldn't trade it for it World. I also like to go back every few months, and I enjoy the town and the people, but living there again really wasn't even a consideration.

Not that I get to enjoy Austin as much as I'd like to. Most days are like today where I worked 11.5 hours. :dabs:

That reminds me of one my coworkers. His pops makes upscale suits (makes them for old Coach John Thompson too in fact) and wants him to take over the business. His father makes tons of money and my coworker worked for him when he was younger (his brother still does) but he said it's just not what he wants to do.

His father gets so much business that he doesn't want to advertise cuz he likes doing most of the work himself. He does have shows and such (I've even modeled some of his suits:dabs: ) but he doesn't care about expanding or hiring tons of workers. I've seen all the fabrics, tables, and such all in the basement of his huge house.

Skiz
03-31-2007, 09:38 PM

That reminds me of one my coworkers. His pops makes upscale suits (makes them for old Coach John Thompson too in fact) and wants him to take over the business. His father makes tons of money and my coworker worked for him when he was younger (his brother still does) but he said it's just not what he wants to do.

His father gets so much business that he doesn't want to advertise cuz he likes doing most of the work himself. He does have shows and such (I've even modeled some of his suits:dabs: ) but he doesn't care about expanding or hiring tons of workers. I've seen all the fabrics, tables, and such all in the basement of his huge house.

I've always been of the opinion, do what you like, or do something else.

JPaul
03-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I've always been of the opinion, do what you like, or do something else.

What you like or something else, yup that about sums it up.

That's my new mantra. Do what you like, or do something else.

j2k4
03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
I think he said his dad don't be ownin' da bidness no moor, sonson.

/Fixed

Skiz
04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I think he said his dad don't be ownin' da bidness no moor, sonson.

/Fixed

:glag: