PDA

View Full Version : [Important] If you are a Torrent Site User Read...

007™
03-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Have an important question to all Torrent Site users

Pay2Leech Sites, Whats your Opinion...

Okay, there are many sites that are pay2leech, and use the money on the site itself like TorrentLeech and SCT, but there are also sites like (dont wanna name), that take the all the money they make, spend a small percentage on hosting, then spend the rest on themselves. These site owners that spend on themselves we all hate, i know that. But for the pay2leech sites that are using the income to help the site grow, make it faster, or even to keep the site alive, do you still dislike them? And by Pay2leech i mean sites that sell GBs and VIP Status.

Please answer as detailed as you can.

Thanks

/007

walczanin
03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
well
vips shouldnt be given for cash.........
but gb's for $, why not, if thats gonna keep site alive?
But i wish neither of it happens........

Cerise
03-27-2007, 09:36 PM
ViP's for cash definately not...
But why not helping by buying Gbs.
Anyway the best way is just let every people donate.. but is it enough ? We can wonder..

BUT.. it's obvious that site like TL and now ScT make or are going to make money behind members and I really hate that. So if there is Pay2leech, it should be very clear and transparent.

nikmash232
03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
buying gbs is fine no VIP for cash
also its good if the upload requirements for an invite is very high the it makes it rare

Fulanito
03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Both of them would work perfect if the owner decides to take care of the site and their users so they can easy use and access the site in the most placent way.

Moonspell13
03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
I think it's very hard for a site to survive today without accepting donations for some gigas.. Only oink doesn't give upload credit and it has so many dedicated ppl that they don't need it.. Every else tracker can only tempt possible donators by offering as a *gift* some upload credit.. BUT when the site becomes more of a PAY2LEECH than a sharing community things are going the wrong way.. Lots of HNRs, unhappy casual seeders when they seed forever and other ppl give a small some of money and they don't seed at all.. IT's also a matter of the upload credit per euro/dollars...

nikmash who gives a f@ck about rarity? Completely irrelevant ... Some of you seem to care more about if a site is "rare" than if it's good... :(

Panther
03-27-2007, 09:58 PM
if the site needs the money to stay alive then sure, and any excess cash should always go to benefits of the site... if it can be like that then its fine with me

torrentslave
03-27-2007, 09:59 PM
cash for vip no but for gb upload im ok with as long as theres no h&r's

Ratzy Rox
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Its never a good thing, when sites start offering people incentives to donate they start going downhill. The uploaders get annoyed that the sysops are making money from their hard work while people seed for a shorter amount of time because they dont need the upload credit. Theres a real difference on the forums of sites which are kept alive by people donating and not expecting anything other than membership to the site in return and p2l sites.

I dont see how p2l is any different to selling pirated stuff on the street.

Vidde
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
They have this discussion @ FTN atm, I'll just paste my post from there in here (don't get confused when I'm saying that I love FTN etc, it has nothing to do with this actual topic, I just leave the post as it is =P)

I for once think it's immoral to sell gigs or have pay2leech, it's -almost- as bad as selling warez.
Yes, it is for the tracker and doesn't just slip into the pockets of the owners (hopefully), but it's still wrong; you're selling a way for ppl to illegally download what others have spent lots of money making. You're earning cash on somebody else's work, and that's just.. unethical imho. (Yes, a pirate talking about ethics, oh teh paradox).

Anyhow, the reason some sites do this, is because either they want to earn money on a tracker (burn in hell), OR because they're not recieving enuf cash from their members, which I belive is the cause of maybe the site, or the community to not be as good as the owners might think.

I run a site, a Norwegian site, it's the only one of its kind (small country ^^), and we've -never- had any problems at all with donations, we haven't paid a cent from our own pockets, and I don't think we ever will, if they keep it up the way they do. I also see that FTN's donation bar is always on top within the month, which means; FTN has a great community, friendly staff and excellent speeds and content, just what the users need!

I would've donated gladly myself, if my VISA card wasn't attached to an account I can't use :/
I love this site not because of their awsome speeds and great content, but also their great coding, sweet design and really really friendly staffers, as long as members.

You can have great speed and content at other sites, but communities and staffers like this/these, does NOT grow on trees, that's why I belive that FTN will never be in need of selling gigs.
If the site is great, the users -will- donate by themselves, that is at least my understanding <3
Trackers that offer pay4leech, will never ever have a supergreat community, just because they're offering such things to be able to survive.

-Vidde

lysine
03-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I've always felt that if the users value a site enough, they'll never have to offer gigs for money, or beg for donations every month. moonspell13 mentioned oink, that's a perfect example. the site has operated fine for years without asking for money from anyone. if you've got to bribe the users to donate by offering gigs for money, then you should probably think twice about running the site, and the users' level of dedication to it.

Shadowfire
03-28-2007, 12:46 AM
If the site really needs the site to improve on something major (servers, etc.) then it might be ok to allow Pay to Leech for a while. Sites especially have to observe how the pay-to-leech-ing is affecting their tracker. If people are constantly hitting and running, not seeding, etc. because they purchased extra gigs, then obviously that site's community isn't mature enough to handle PTL. However, if the community still seeds well, doesn't HnR, and the extra money is absolutely necessary, then it wouldn't be too fair to condemn the site for having PTL. If the site is desperate for money to pay off monthly server bills, if the staff are dishing out their personal money endlessly to cover costs, if the site is going to be pulled because of monetary insufficiencies, and PTL is the only way to solve the situation, then by all means, go for it.

DefX
03-28-2007, 01:37 AM
I have never hated bitmetv for having that option for users to increase their upload data by donating to the site. I guess its more irritating to me when sites bombard you with these pm's every week urging you to donate. Dont get me wrong. I believe donations are very much necessary to keep some of our favorite trackers afloat.

But as some of you have mentioned, those tracker owners that enjoy monetary benefits from running their sites and do not use it to improve its overall service should be condemned.

Shadowfire
03-28-2007, 01:45 AM
I guess its more irritating to me when sites bombard you with these pm's every week urging you to donate.

Oh gosh, you mean like RTT hitting everyone up on the "doubling up" and "lottery" thing? That's incredibly annoying.

DefX
03-28-2007, 02:30 AM
rtt, bitsoup, ILT to name a few. I still remember bitsoup offering a motor bike for their lottery once.

Thrusty
03-28-2007, 03:53 AM
I've always looked at the sites' option to buy upload credit as a helping hand to those that either don't have the necessary upload stream to cope with their download needs or ,due to various reasons, they can't leave their PCs on long enough to reach 1:1. There are still many countries that only have 2 or 3 major ISPs that offer, all of them, crap upload speeds. Users from those countries shouldn't be punished for smth that it's not in their power to change.
If donations are constantly higher than the hosting servers' bills, the excess can be used to pay for seedboxes, which all users would benefit from.
And if site owners occasionally buy a six pack with donation money, what the hell, I guess it's OK, as long as it's not too often and the six pack stays a six pack and not a sixty pack. After all, it's their time they're spending, and nothing is free, right?

khartman
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I dont see anything wrong with a little reward for donating. You scratch thier back they scratch yours (oooh that feels good), but when thats what they are all about like RevTT, Bitsoup and a few others that just spam the donation ads in your face that is when it gets annoying. When The speeds suffer because of nobody seeding back (bitsoup) that is annoying. I am for pay2leech but I dont think you should be given large amounts of upload credit for donating.

TYPE R
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
it's already been said a few time, by other members. cash 4 vip no,cash 4 gb's yes

NichtTschad
03-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I believe it is fine if there are limits on the amount that can be purchased.

nikoskat
03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
if it is for the better of the site, ok..although i don't like it at all.
but how can we know if money go for that purpose? by saying that the site needs 200$ per month or whatever, doesn't prove anything. and we never
know the exact amount of the money donated.

and i don't like vip status or gbs as a reward, i disagree with that.

Cheffy
03-29-2007, 03:16 AM
I have no idea what the price for running a server is or how much money most sites get for their pay2leech.
But if their sole purpose is profit then ofc im against it, Then they are selling something they have not done anything for, first of they did not make the release, they dd not crack or encode the release, they are not offering their own BW to seed the releases, regular users are. They are earning money from several others people work and thats just wrong.
Donating to keep the site alive, that im all for, and in this day of age its hard getting people to just give their money away without getting something in return, The people that donate are the people that keeps my favorite site alive, If they have to offer then a trip to Tijuana with 4 prepaid hookers and a gallon of tequila or VIP status or GB to their acconts, I dont really dont care, just as long as they manage to keep the site i like alive.

jrzy
03-29-2007, 03:38 AM
I say the hell with it...at the end of the day, it's all about the benjamins ...whether sites ask money for gb's, vip , lotto..whatever..they are doing what it takes to run the site and if money goes into their pocket as well..good for them, they are the ones taking the higher risk than the average joe blow whos just downloading and sharing :cool2:

mavg
03-29-2007, 09:02 PM
no i don't pay to leech .

X
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I think if you are willing to pay then its okay... they are helping keep the site alive... vip status should be attainable both with donations and contributions (uploading) .... getting GBs for $ is okay as well.. these people leech of you and can't maintain good ratios becuz of slow speeds... Hit & Run shoud be monitored closely to kick anyone who doesn't attempt to seed... i especially like FsC's policy reagarding seeding...

assafush
03-30-2007, 12:00 AM
i think cash for VIP or GBs is ok as long as the owner spend the money on the site and dont use it for his own personal gain.... although i think that many sites that accept donations keep some of the money to themselves... and i think it is not fair to the donors.... but what can u do about it? ....

Bucktoof
03-30-2007, 03:27 AM
If you donate to a torrent site, I think all you should get is a donor star and a custom title.

The idea of a lottery where members pay into it and the reward is some upload credit, I guess that's fine.

marcusm05
03-30-2007, 08:41 AM
VIP should depend on how much you upload or seed from the sites not on how much you donate, but I agree with donating money for gb