PDA

View Full Version : Are Private BitTorrent Trackers Safe?

Cerise
03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Just read this article ;)

http://duggmirror.com/tech_news/Are_Private_BitTorrent_Trackers_Safe/

NA_Magus
03-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Illegal filesharing has its risks any way you put it.

DefX
03-28-2007, 01:51 AM
This article says that we shouldnt be worried about minor notifications from mpaa etc but if and when they infiltrate and bring down a private torrent site, all members will be screwed. Great.

magicrabbit
03-28-2007, 02:10 AM
ok, if they ever do that ill trash my computer, trash my email accounts, change all my passwords, and donate 100 dollars to the mpaa

DefX
03-28-2007, 02:27 AM
ok, if they ever do that ill trash my computer, trash my email accounts, change all my passwords, and donate 100 dollars to the mpaa

$100? I bet theyll tell you youre about $2900 short. :wacko:

magicrabbit
03-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Lalalalala I Cant Hear You Im Safe In My Own Little Bubble No One Can Hurt Me!

Skiz
03-28-2007, 02:28 AM

Not true.

magicrabbit
03-28-2007, 02:34 AM

Not true.

Not that i disagree with you but do you have anything to back that up?

Gish
03-28-2007, 03:18 AM

Thats the quote of the day for me! I'm going to bed.

Skiz
03-28-2007, 03:54 AM
Not true.

Not that i disagree with you but do you have anything to back that up?

I must sound like a broken record the past few days with so many newsgroups answers, but downloading from newsgroups is about as safe as you can possibly be. The only one who even has any possibility of knowing what you are downloading is the NSP, and they don't care what you download, since it is, after all, coming from their own servers.

Binary newsgroup downloading is entirely different from P2P, which gives out your IP address and your shared files (both shared and downloading) to anyone in the network who asks, including the MPAA and RIAA, who run bots to harvest IP addresses and shared files/folders on everyone using the major P2P networks. Keep in mind that when you download a file in eMule or Bittorrent, you are simultaneously uploading the same file to others. The network wouldn't operate otherwise.

Uploading (posting) to newsgroups is another matter entirely. The NSPs will log uploads to make sure if you are a spammer they can go after you. Uploading to a ISP-run news server (the kind that has about 3 days retention) is not the least bit anonymous, since they keep long-term logs, as well as ISPs do not strip out post-ID headers like paid news providers do.

I've never come across a single story about someone who got arrested or sued for posting a copyrighted file, but it's quite possible. If a poster gets reported, usually the worst thing that happens is that the NSP cancels his posting ability. (Then most banned users just create another account!)

But if you are just a beginner, it's best not to try to post files. Leave that to the experienced users.

Cheffy
03-28-2007, 03:55 AM
No private trackers are safe, at one point or another they have open signups. So at that point anyone could have signed up.
So no private trackers are not safe, are they safer? perhaps a little bit, But nothing were you blindly connect to 100's or a 1000's people you have no idea how is is safe.

10-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Time to discuss this again ;)

Skiz
10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Why? What's changed?

shutdk
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I thougt Cerise went back but apperantly it was just an old thread :(

dave12
10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
its a myth that using private trackers is safe i dont think that it is safe though so be careful if are using

Fibre
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I think they're more interested in the admins of the private sites, not the users.

GoLDeN
10-24-2007, 05:33 PM
IAH its safe iam using it foe 3.5 years now but it depend on ur country

KFlint
10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I think they're more interested in the admins of the private sites, not the users.

i believe so too,

as an analogy, when a drugs dealers is busted, the police won't look for a list of his customers to try to bust them too, they don't give a damn about them

when they have the big fish, their mission is done and that's all that matter, unless they can catch a bigger fish with his collaboration

thejoker12
10-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Take a gander at this article from last month http://www.rlslog.net/mediadefender%e2%80%99s-decoy-effectiveness-on-bittorrent-sites/