PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...

Skweeky
03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
one of my colleagues at work is a virologist and I found out the following interesting fact yesterday;

When someone suffers from glandular fever (Epstein-Bahr), the body produces anti-bodies against any possible virus it can has ever been in touch with.

Glandular fever is diagnosed by mixing white bloodcells in with sheeps blood. If the sheeps blood congeals, you have glandular fever.

Ergo, every single person on earth has an anti-body against sheeps blood.

One wonders....:huh:

Agrajag
03-28-2007, 08:01 PM
one of my colleagues at work is a virologist

How much did that particular degree cost me then. :angry:

Feckin' tax dodgers working in call centres.

UKMan
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
one of my colleagues...One wonders....:huh:

I'm even more worried about those poor sheep now

popopot
03-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Everybody will always generate antibodies against sheeps blood (if you get sheeps blood into your own) because it will have antigens (the things that the body recognises as foreign to itself, which initiate the immune response to produce antibodies against it) that the human body does not recognise and treats as foreign. Its the same with human blood, thats why they have to match your blood type otherwise you will reject it as being foreign because it has foreign antigens on the cell surface.

clocker
03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Everybody will always generate antibodies against sheeps blood because it will have antigens (the things that the body recognises as foreign to itself, which initiate the immune response to produce antibodies against it) that the human body does not recognise and treats as foreign. Its the same with human blood, thats why they have to match your blood type otherwise you will reject it as being foreign because it has foreign antigens on the cell surface.
So basically you're saying that this has nothing to do with the morality of boinking sheep.

Seedler rejoices.

popopot
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Everybody will always generate antibodies against sheeps blood because it will have antigens (the things that the body recognises as foreign to itself, which initiate the immune response to produce antibodies against it) that the human body does not recognise and treats as foreign. Its the same with human blood, thats why they have to match your blood type otherwise you will reject it as being foreign because it has foreign antigens on the cell surface.
So basically you're saying that this has nothing to do with the morality of boinking sheep.

Seedler rejoices.

Boink all you want! Just don't try and become blood brothers with the sheep - stick to the boinking, and safe boinking at that.

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Nope... it doesn't happen when your blood is healthy.

I asked her today

Gripper
03-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Blood will out.

JPaul
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Nope... it doesn't happen when your blood is healthy.

I asked her today

I think the important bit in Polpot's post is "if you get sheeps blood into your own".

If healthy blood were mixed with sheep's blood it would be all like, meh. However if you put sheep's blood in your body it would be like "Hoi cunt, fuck off, now".

JPaul
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Sorry if that was all jargon and technical.

Gripper
03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
That would be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Jagarga
03-29-2007, 10:08 PM
the test for glandular fever is called Monospot

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, but I was talking about putting human white bloodcells in sheeps blood. Not human blood in sheeps blood or the other way around

Snee
03-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Same difference, innit. The white bloodcells have their own dna.

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
look, I'm not a virologist :lol:

I was merely stating an interesting fact :D

Snee
03-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Afaik white bloodcells don't really need to have something else give them a list on what belongs in their body to attack something that isn't part of it :unsure:

So it makes sense to me that they'd attack the sheeep bits, 'cos they don't really go "gosh, I'm in sheep's blood now, I better blend in with the other cells" on account of having no brains.

:unsure:

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Lookie, all I know is that when you have glandular fever you produce this anti thingy against sheeps blood which normally isn't there.

Period.

Stop fucking ants please

Snee
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Fucking ants? :blink:

JPaul
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Period.

Ah, that explains it.

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 11:19 PM
shut it :angry:

Snee
03-29-2007, 11:19 PM
I was mostly winging it anyways.

I find it stranger that our whites don't always go mental on foreign tissue.

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 11:23 PM
's because it's mostly trial and error.

so I was told anyways

Snee
03-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Intaresting, could you have him explain that further? :smilie4:

Skweeky
03-29-2007, 11:29 PM
I shall ask her on Saturday

Snee
03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Sorry, her, then :dabs:

Fudge knows why I thought it was a he.

Seedler
03-29-2007, 11:59 PM

Seedler rejoices.

:dabs:

clocker
03-30-2007, 02:44 AM
It took you 8 1/2 hrs. to respond to this yet you can text thirty answers in under a minute?

Jagarga
03-31-2007, 02:34 PM
busymanism

JPaul
03-31-2007, 07:19 PM

Sexist.

Funny thing is I has assumed it was a burd. Which is just as sexist really but in a better way.

Skweeky
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok, I asked her today about the whole sheeps blood tihngs.

Apparently you only make antibodies immediately against anything your body has previously encountered.
So that's why you get diseases like measles etc.. only once.
So, if you mix healthy blood with sheeps blood it won't do anything. However, if you have glandular fever, for some reason you start producing these antibodies against sheeps blood and the blood clots.

There you have it.

As for the body not reacting against foreign organisms, it's the same prinicple.
If your body isn't sure if it's bad or good for you, it'll do nothing until it's sure.
Sometimes, if the virus/bacteria/whatever it is mutates rather quickly, the body won't do anything at all against it because it can't identify what exactly it is fighting against.

Next interesting fact:
Lyme disease has initally the same symptoms as syphillis.

tesco
03-31-2007, 09:15 PM

Sexist.

Funny thing is I has assumed it was a burd. Which is just as sexist really but in a better way.i assumed woman too. :unsure:
Because of the word 'virologist'...it reminds me of veterinarian ('cause starts with same letter, obviousement) and that reminds me of the vet we took my dog too once and she was female.:huh:

JPaul
03-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I think your pal's making it up.

Either that or she doesn't really exist and you're making this up yourself. Anthropomorphising white blood cells.

Pus is called pus because it's dead white corpuscles. Fact.

Snee
04-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Ok, I asked her today about the whole sheeps blood tihngs.

Apparently you only make antibodies immediately against anything your body has previously encountered.
So that's why you get diseases like measles etc.. only once.
So, if you mix healthy blood with sheeps blood it won't do anything. However, if you have glandular fever, for some reason you start producing these antibodies against sheeps blood and the blood clots.

There you have it.

As for the body not reacting against foreign organisms, it's the same prinicple.
If your body isn't sure if it's bad or good for you, it'll do nothing until it's sure.
Sometimes, if the virus/bacteria/whatever it is mutates rather quickly, the body won't do anything at all against it because it can't identify what exactly it is fighting against.

Next interesting fact:
Lyme disease has initally the same symptoms as syphillis.
Thanks for that. Thank your friend as well.

I think I used to know that (I bloody well should have had a hunch since I actually studied medicine and biology for a bit :pinch:)

Is it only sheep's blood, btw? Or is the same with, say, blood from a dog?

I'm wondering if whatever cause glandular fever shares some common element with sheep's blood then, like a protein, an enzyme, an organelle, or whatever.

JPaul
04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
The real question is, how the fuck did they find this out.

Whatever, I'm taking it as proof positive of the existence of God

Skweeky
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Snny, apparently it only works with sheeps blood. That's why it's so weird :huh:

@ JP: I didn't know you were an amateur virologist :snooty:

JPaul
04-01-2007, 08:18 PM
You thought me a professional. :blink:

Gripper
04-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Are you Bodie or Doyle?

JPaul
04-01-2007, 08:36 PM
No

Gripper
04-01-2007, 08:45 PM