PDA

View Full Version : Partitioned hard drive

S!X
03-29-2007, 05:16 AM
I got my comp back from Bestbuy's Geeksquad on Monday (don't ask me why I took it there, it's for various reasons) and I noticed they partitioned my hard drive... why I don't know. There's nothing on the D: partition, would it be a good idea to merge it with C:, or is it there for a reason it that I'm not aware of? The D: partition is 132GB and my C: partition is 100GB :blink: Here's my specs if it helps any,

AMD X2 4200+ Manchester
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX S939 NFORCE4 SLI X16 DDR 2PCI-E16 SATA2 RAID Sound 2GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 (@ 2-3-2-5)
Corsair HX520 CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX Triple 12V 40A Continuous 24PIN ATX Modular 120MM Power Supply
Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive
eVGA 6600GT PCI-E Video Card

lee551
03-29-2007, 06:50 AM
i would guess they did it to back stuff up on? it's pretty lame they didn't undo it before they handed the machine back to you. if it's empty, and you don't want it, i would merge them.

S!X
03-29-2007, 07:21 AM
What's the best app to merge them with? I'm assuming partition magic :ermm: For some reason I still find it confusing to use. :frusty:

kirktrix
03-29-2007, 07:38 AM
I think it is ok to have a partitioned drive. I used C: for all the installed softwares and D: for all my saved files. In case my OS crashed or affected by erasable virus i can easily format my PC. without backing up my files.

S!X
03-29-2007, 07:41 AM
I think it is ok to have a partitioned drive. I used C: for all the installed softwares and D: for all my saved files. In case my OS crashed or affected by erasable virus i can easily format my PC. without backing up my files.

It's fine, but id rather have it merged :dabs:

Damnatory
03-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I just assumed that with a gaming computer like yours you would have already partitioned it off like that. Leaving your system partition free for fast defrags to keep your games running fast.

clocker
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
I got my comp back from Bestbuy's Geeksquad on Monday (don't ask me why I took it there, it's for various reasons)
Sorry, not good enough.
Why did you take it there?
and I noticed they partitioned my hard drive... why I don't know.
So you never discussed having this done?
There's nothing on the D: partition, would it be a good idea to merge it with C:, or is it there for a reason it that I'm not aware of? The D: partition is 132GB and my C: partition is 100GB :blink:

The Geek Squad (or any other repair shop) doesn't just get to randomly partition a drive without your consent/approval.
I'd take it back and make them merge the drive.

S!X
03-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I got my comp back from Bestbuy's Geeksquad on Monday (don't ask me why I took it there, it's for various reasons)
Sorry, not good enough.
Why did you take it there?
and I noticed they partitioned my hard drive... why I don't know.
So you never discussed having this done?
There's nothing on the D: partition, would it be a good idea to merge it with C:, or is it there for a reason it that I'm not aware of? The D: partition is 132GB and my C: partition is 100GB :blink:

The Geek Squad (or any other repair shop) doesn't just get to randomly partition a drive without your consent/approval.
I'd take it back and make them merge the drive.

lol There's no way in hell I'm hauling my comp back up there for them just to do that, and no they never told me anything about partitioning the HD, nor did I tell them to do so.

lee551
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
yeah, the geeks definitely should have fixed that before they gave it back to you, but i understand for not wanting to take it back just for that. i heard a girl today in class say her computer crashed and the geek squad would have it for *at least* two more weeks!! holy shit. what could take that long to fix?! i'm sure every person takes their stuff there, but damn, that long would kill me. :cry:

when my mobo blew and i took it in to a few places (NOT the geeksquad) they had the problem fixed and told me to come get it within 2 or 3 days. three cheers for mum & pop stores. :01:

RTFM
03-30-2007, 12:32 AM
If you just want to merge the partitions, use PartitionMagic and select "Merge partitions" in the left pane and follow to instructions from there.

Alternatively, you could delete the partition you don't want and then reallocate the space to the C: partition with the "Redistribute free space" option. I think this option is quicker, since you don't have anything on D: that you needs to be copied to C:.

Make sure you back up anything important before touching the partitions...I almost learned the hard way a few days ago :pinch:.

S!X
03-30-2007, 05:41 AM
yeah, the geeks definitely should have fixed that before they gave it back to you, but i understand for not wanting to take it back just for that. i heard a girl today in class say her computer crashed and the geek squad would have it for *at least* two more weeks!! holy shit. what could take that long to fix?! i'm sure every person takes their stuff there, but damn, that long would kill me. :cry:

when my mobo blew and i took it in to a few places (NOT the geeksquad) they had the problem fixed and told me to come get it within 2 or 3 days. three cheers for mum & pop stores. :01:

I had to wait five days for my comp, it was about 3 days after I took it in they began work on it, it was ready to pickup the next day. :mellow:

clocker
03-30-2007, 10:35 AM
I still can't imagine under what circumstances I would unilaterally decide to partition a drive.

S!X
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I still can't imagine under what circumstances I would unilaterally decide to partition a drive.

It completely beats me... :frusty:

RTFM
03-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Alot of people partition their drives so that the essential operating system and its files are in one partition while their programs and media are on another.

clocker
03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Alot of people partition their drives so that the essential operating system and its files are in one partition while their programs and media are on another.
Yes, lots of people do that.
However, when a PC is in the shop for service the tech doesn't get to just decide that's the way the machine should be set up and do it without consulting the customer.
I see customer PCs quite frequently that have partitioned drives and usually C: is full to overflowing and D: is empty.
Why?
Because the average user is so dimwitted that they forget there is another drive and just blindly keep cramming drivel into My Docs till Windows starts cannibalizing itself.
"Low drive space" warnings will be ignored because they are "too confusing".

S!X
03-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Why?
Because the average user is so dimwitted that they forget there is another drive and just blindly keep cramming drivel into My Docs till Windows starts cannibalizing itself.
"Low drive space" warnings will be ignored because they are "too confusing".

LOL :lol: I had a good laugh there!