PDA

View Full Version : R4DS $30.68 Shipped, Nintendo DS homebrew and backup games

slim150
03-29-2007, 05:29 PM
My apologies if this has been covered before, but I thought this was a great deal and wanted to contribute a little bit.

What is an R4DS?
It is a way to play backup games on your Nintendo DS. It looks just like a standard DS cartridge, and its really easy to use!

Where can you get one?
The best deal I've found is at dealextreme. Only $30.68 with free shipping.
Note: The shipping comes from China so it may take a while, but its the
English version.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1202

Do you need anything else to run backup games?
Yes, you need a micro SD card to put into the cartridge for memory storage. You can get a 1GB one from meritline.com for only $12.95 Shipped

http://www.meritline.com/kingston-1gb-micro-sd-card.html

UPDATE::::
Frys has a 1GB microSD card for $9.99 Shipped!

http://www.frys.com/product/4962161

Here is where you can get the latest firmware:
http://www.r4ds.net/download.htm

http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_1202_8.jpg

SirGray
03-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Hmmm. interesting does this work on lite only or will it work on my regular ds and is it hard to figure out or is it just drag and drop roms onto the card and your good?

slim150
03-30-2007, 01:13 AM
just drag and drop roms, its really simple. its really why i like it so much. when you turn it on it overtakes the regular ds menu screen with a list of games to choose. additionally, when you save its not like your saving states, you save like you normally would in your game and it handles it fine.

i'm not sure about a regular ds (i'd assume so but you may need to research that). I am 100% positive that it won't play GBA roms though.

oh and additionally the ds browswer will not work for it either, it requires a memory thingy in the gba slot.

silent h3ro
03-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Thx for the info, slim150. If I ever do get my hands on a DS I'm mainly gonna get it for all the Pokemon games, haha.

SirGray
03-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Thx for the info, slim150. If I ever do get my hands on a DS I'm mainly gonna get it for all the Pokemon games, haha.

Haha same reason I got an Ds, Pokemon rocks!

slim150
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
haha I'll give the new pokemon a try, i remember i had alot of fun playing the red version. the only thing is the game was soo easy. I remember fighting bosses and they would have 3 pokemon and I'd have 6 and keep healing them.

namzuf9
04-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I bought this recently for my little girl from http://www.divineo.cn cost $50.00 shipped but as I'm in the uk that translates to about £25.00 and I recieved it from china in 3 days.
It works great in both the original DS and DS lite but it does'nt play GBA games. The only other flash cart that touches this at the moment for price and features is the M3 simply which is exactly the same as the R4 but with different onboard software.

St0ry
04-03-2007, 07:33 AM
If you use this and play downloaded games will the games work in multiplayer or online?

namzuf9
04-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Works fine online but single cart multiplayer will sometimes fail although, from experience, this is normally down to using trimmed roms.

St0ry
04-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Sometimes fail as in sometimes a game works other times it doesn't or as in one game works another game doesn't?

Also, I'm thinking about getting one and not sure how big of a memory card to get. About how many games could I fit on a 1GB card and still have room for saves?

namzuf9
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Sometimes fail as in sometimes a game works other times it doesn't or as in one game works another game doesn't?

Yeah, like you said.

Amount of games varies on the size of the games you wanna play. My kids have got 1gb cards and can fit, on average, about 15 games. You can also save space by
"trimming" the roms with the software that comes with the cart.

slim150
04-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Mine just came in the mail today from dealxtreme, they sent it registered mail so I had to sign for it.. well actually I had to go to the post office before work and pick it up.

(I've seen it before. my co-worker has it and I borrowed it thats why I recommended it earlier)

I didn't bother loading the stuff that came on the cd, just grabbed the new kernel right from the website and it works great!

most of the games are like 32mb, the save files are negligible in size.

Heres the latest deal on a 1GB MicroSD card, if you like rebates and are new to Google checkout:

$3.96 after rebate and google checkout
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-1gb-microsd-secure-digital-card/q/loc/101/204134655.html

Too bad there was a 2GB one on there the other day with free shipping and only $14 after google checkout and no rebate :(

SirGray
04-04-2007, 06:18 AM
so basically for the price of 1 or 2 ds games you get unlimited ds games?

slim150
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
so basically for the price of 1 or 2 ds games you get unlimited ds games?

Yes, in addition you can have like 16 games (or more depending on size of the memory) on one cart which is great for portability.

Plus there are other apps to put on it if you really want to that aren't games

slim150
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
update frys 9.99 microsd card with free shipping

http://www.frys.com/product/4962161

silent h3ro
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Hey slim150, I ordered the R4 and I got a 1 gig Micro SD for 8.95 on Buy.com. :) Now I gotta buy a DS but BestBuy and Circuit City had no Onyx DS in stock, just Polar White and Pink. I caved in just so I could play the Pokemon games, but it should be worth it.

slim150
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey slim150, I ordered the R4 and I got a 1 gig Micro SD for 8.95 on Buy.com. :) Now I gotta buy a DS but BestBuy and Circuit City had no Onyx DS in stock, just Polar White and Pink. I caved in just so I could play the Pokemon games, but it should be worth it.

You may want to check out your local toys'R'us they probably have them.

Also, you can order them from toysrus online : http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2463874

$10 off if you use google checkout

or (I haven't tried it, but it might work) if you pay with paypal and enter coupon PAYPAL10 you might get free shipping and handling

By the way grats on getting one, the DS is my favorite system and I have them all... but a PS3

shosh
04-06-2007, 06:12 PM
i got 3 questions for ya slim150
there are some slim carts on sale for 80 bucks and above. is this cart crappier than the more expensive ones?
also do you have to update the firmware to play the newer games?
and are there any incompatibilities with any games with this cart?

slim150
04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
i got 3 questions for ya slim150
there are some slim carts on sale for 80 bucks and above. is this cart crappier than the more expensive ones?
also do you have to update the firmware to play the newer games?
and are there any incompatibilities with any games with this cart?

From my experience, this is the best one money can buy. Thats why I thought the price was so great. The cart looks and feels exactly like a DS game unit, and its 100% compatible with all ROMs.

The new firmware versions, I believe, are just for performance improvements, gui's and skins. Not related to the ROMs.

The only thing I think its incompatible with are GBA roms, and the DS browser (which if you could get a hold of the memory attachment that it comes with somehow it would probably work too). But other than that it works with multilayer and any ds game.

Hey this is a great review of the R4.. it shows videos of the interface, and close ups of the card itself.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=41279

silent h3ro
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM

You may want to check out your local toys'R'us they probably have them.

Also, you can order them from toysrus online : http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2463874

$10 off if you use google checkout

or (I haven't tried it, but it might work) if you pay with paypal and enter coupon PAYPAL10 you might get free shipping and handling

By the way grats on getting one, the DS is my favorite system and I have them all... but a PS3Ok, thanks I will check Toys R Us today but I gotta get my car back first then I will drive there. :frusty: Although $10 off online sounds a little better because I'm going to have to wait for my R4 anyways (around 3 weeks to ship I hear :frusty:). Btw, this is my first Nintendo, I'm excited, lol.

shosh
04-06-2007, 10:24 PM
thx for the answers and the link slim. i was looking at the more expensive ones and was planning on getting those. but now im getting the r4 now. its too cheap to pass up.

SirGray
04-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Argh, help I ordered the R4ds, but the the 1gb microsd card From buy.com and meritline.com don't accept any paypal's that are not from U.S, does anyone know of cheap ones that send to canada?

Edit - Nevermind I grabbed one of the Dealextreme website that was selling the R4ds for 15$$
I can't wait till it gets here.

Edit2 - How long did it take to get yours slim?

slim150
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I placed the order on 3/21, and it got shipped on 3/23.. (which may have been lucky) and I got it Monday of last week.

An FYI it came registered mail, so they wouldnt drop it off without a signature.. I had to go to the post office before work and pick it up.

Congrats!! The only bad part about it is that since I have so many games to play my attention span is short and I can't get involved in any haha

silent h3ro
04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
lol Slim150. I hope I get lucky like you. As long as I get it by April 22 I'll be happy, hahaha. :D

SirGray
04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
lol Slim150. I hope I get lucky like you. As long as I get it by April 22 I'll be happy, hahaha. :D

^^ Haha same with me!! If my friends have pokemon before me im gonna be pissed lol. come on get here already! lol :D

silent h3ro
04-12-2007, 12:00 AM

^^ Haha same with me!! If my friends have pokemon before me im gonna be pissed lol. come on get here already! lol :Dlol My friend preordered Diamond yesterday with me at gamestop, I'm going to want Pearl and Diamond. :D I guess I could try something like Brain Age for DS too just to get some variety, lol. Sorry guys but I can't stop thinking and posting about Pokemon bit I'm too excited.

Anyways, I hope this r4 arrives early so I can try some other games like Wario and New Super Mario Bros.

SirGray
04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
^^ Haha same with me!! If my friends have pokemon before me im gonna be pissed lol. come on get here already! lol :Dlol My friend preordered Diamond yesterday with me at gamestop, I'm going to want Pearl and Diamond. :D I guess I could try something like Brain Age for DS too just to get some variety, lol. Sorry guys but I can't stop thinking and posting about Pokemon bit I'm too excited.

Anyways, I hope this r4 arrives early so I can try some other games like Wario and New Super Mario Bros.

lol I don't blame you pokemon is really fun, also I got some ds games for the r4 I can't wait to try Elite beat agents and some others

drfunkm
04-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Wow I never knew the backup cart was so cheap I thought it was like 100 dollars! I'm gonna go get a ds and one of these now asap... Its my favorite system out there right now, boy and his blob is coming out for it soon lol! nintendo always rocks.

slim150
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
lol My friend preordered Diamond yesterday with me at gamestop, I'm going to want Pearl and Diamond. :D I guess I could try something like Brain Age for DS too just to get some variety, lol. Sorry guys but I can't stop thinking and posting about Pokemon bit I'm too excited.

lol I don't blame you pokemon is really fun, also I got some ds games for the r4 I can't wait to try Elite beat agents and some others

Elite beat agents is my favorite game for the DS, New Super Mario Brothers was a lot of fun too.

slim150
04-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Are you guys going to be playing it online too? Pokemon that is

silent h3ro
04-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Hell yeah, I know I will. :D

SirGray
04-16-2007, 03:13 AM
Yup, ill be playing online for sure!

SirGray
05-08-2007, 12:42 AM
I Finally got my second peice today in the mail, now its complete! and its great! works perfectly!

slim150
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
glad to hear it! and did you hear they are making the ds browser for the US.. I might purchase that when the times comes, but thats about it~!

silent h3ro
05-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Yup I got mine too, I've been pretty busy playing it since. I've filled my 1 gig card up but I only really play half of the games. Yeah, the DS browser does look cool but I already have one for my PSP and it's free. :D