PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Wireless G problems

bikejumpr2020
03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
i have a linksys wireless g wrk54g and its getting on my nerves. it seems like its everyday that i have to unplug the power button from the back for a couple of seconds then back in for the internet to start working again. i have 4 computers hooked to it, none of which are wireless, they are all wired. anyway is it time for a new router? or is there something i can do so I can stop having to unplug it so many times.

Seedler
03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
I have the exact same problem:frusty:

Any ideas?

lynx
03-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I suspect you only have these problems when you use p2p software.

The solution seems obvious (to Linksys) - stop using p2p.

On a more practical note, see if you can find a firmware update that addresses your problem. There have been several updates in the last 3 years,

You should find some useful links here:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=linksys+wrk54g+firmware

Shiranai_Baka
03-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I used to have that problem but once I updated the firmware, that problem comes up maybe once every 4 months.

Colt Seevers
03-30-2007, 11:41 PM
i have a linksys wireless g wrk54g and its getting on my nerves. it seems like its everyday that i have to unplug the power button from the back for a couple of seconds then back in for the internet to start working again. i have 4 computers hooked to it, none of which are wireless, they are all wired. anyway is it time for a new router? or is there something i can do so I can stop having to unplug it so many times.

I got this router or one very similar (WAG354G), let me tell you whipping that power lead in and out like that ain't healthy - a few times with mine, there have been spark ages, and a few times doing this has wiped the routers memory, meaning factory defaults and had to set-up ISP user name, p/w's etc....my fault really, (should unplug before attempting such daredevil feats. but that's hassle city, and I think subconsciously I hope to blow it up: so I can buy a newer, non Linksys router!) but the solution seems obvious: why cant they be built with a fricken on/off power switch? is bordering on negligent, as the reset switch is too awkward to use.

I found the best way, is to do a hard reboot from inside the router every now and then. Also aboot once a month leaving it unplugged for 5 whole mins (tough shift, I know :) ) seems to work wonders. :ermm: Also as was also alluded to earlier, firmware upgrade helps.

Seedler
04-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I do have the latest firmwire upgrade, but whenever after playing an online multiplayer game or running p2p for longer than a few hours my wireless would just stop working. Basically I have to walk over to the other room and disconnect router power, and restart it which fixes the problem.

maxrebo
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure Linksys ever fixed the problem in their firmware. You should flash to DD-WRT or OpenWRT instead.

mr. nails
04-02-2007, 12:35 PM
i had the same router and same prob. i fixed it by throwing it against the wall and then taking it back to frys. got a refund and never looked back. needless to say no routers were injured in the making of this post.