PDA

View Full Version : Decent/best documentaries?

jimbo12345
03-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Can you tell me some decent documentaries that are worth watching?

I've seen loads. My favorite have been either the BBC Blue Planet series, the 9/11 conspiracy one and !!EVERYONE MUST WATCH!! An Inconvenient Truth....will really make you reassess everything around you.

So, what's your recommendation/favourite? Thanks!:)

Skiz
03-31-2007, 08:01 AM
So you're a sucker for conspiracy theories and propaganda....

Check out other "documentaries", such as Fahrenheit 9/11, or Loose Change. :dry:

jimbo12345
03-31-2007, 08:32 AM
not really, most conspiracies hold little weight, but the 9/11 thing was dodgy as hell. Seen fahrenheit 9/11, very interesting. My only issue is Michael Moore. I love him, yet i feel even if the politicians did some good, he still would bitch as thats what he makes his money from.

I love egypt/rome etc, nature documentaries etc. Not your thing Skizo?

Skiz
03-31-2007, 09:07 AM
not really, most conspiracies hold little weight, but the 9/11 thing was dodgy as hell. Seen fahrenheit 9/11, very interesting. My only issue is Michael Moore. I love him, yet i feel even if the politicians did some good, he still would bitch as thats what he makes his money from.

I love egypt/rome etc, nature documentaries etc. Not your thing Skizo?

I love documentaries on just about anything. I despise however, the biased, solely agenda based, crap that's out such as the latter two you referred to.

Cheese once linked to a site where the author described watching such movies as "being bukkaked with stupid". It's just frustrating to watch so many filmmakers putting out these shit films and people accepting the utter lies as gospel.

Cheese
03-31-2007, 09:24 AM
I like to watch a good conspiracy documentary, some make me laugh at the stupidity of the people who believe this crap (Loose Change for example), some make me think though. Like Michael Moore's, but you need to read around the subject and not blindly believe everything he says.

The episode Mystery of the Urinal Deuce of South Park made me pmsl in reference to the 9/11 theories flying around.

100%
03-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Road To Guantanamo (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/roadtoguantanamo/)

askj
03-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Engeneering documentarys are great. Watching how huge structures are built. Try it.

DefX
03-31-2007, 02:34 PM
How about "Super Size Me"? I havent watched too many documentaries which is probably why this one stands out in my recent memory. Decent enough though. I want to say an eye opener but i was already aware of the message the film was trying to convey beforehand.

snowultra
03-31-2007, 03:55 PM
i just saw the documentry on john lennen, it was really good. the focus was all about john lennen, not the beatles.

St0ry
03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Some of the more recent ones.

God Grew Tired of Us
Jesus Camp - very disturbing but people like those in the film do exist, and in large numbers.

jimbo12345
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Road To Guantanamo (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/roadtoguantanamo/)

Good movie. Sadly, i know one of the unluckies in the film, since high school. He hates Britain, feels his poor education and standard of life is due to racism and evenused to go out "white-washing" (attacking anything white) most nights with his cousins. And all this before he accidently got caught up in all that.

But, his family still claim every possible benefit, though they have many successful businesses, he is deeply religious, yet he has a child (with a white girl) that he doesn't pay for because he claims benefits. His uncles give him time off every thursday to collect it when i knewhim.

Guantanamo is a terrible place. I'm not racist. But, he hardly did himself any favours.

has anyone seen An Inconvenient Truth? It's presents its case very well. Al Gore (the guy who ran for president) presents it, and its surprisingly good. My criticism is he seems to go into toooooo much detail about him. He's interesting, had an nteresting life, but sometimes it felt that he was promoting himself too much.

I guarantee that there's very little to argue against it...

tonga187
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
The 11 part series Planet Earth which is running Sunday nights on Discovery has been amazing thus far, the footage they managed to capture is insane.

But all you people with the BBC have already seen these.

Alien5
03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Gunner Palace - about soldiers in Iraq.

100%
03-31-2007, 10:38 PM

Good movie. Sadly, i know one of the unluckies in the film, since high school. He hates Britain, feels his poor education and standard of life is due to racism and evenused to go out "white-washing" (attacking anything white) most nights with his cousins. And all this before he accidently got caught up in all that.

But, his family still claim every possible benefit, though they have many successful businesses, he is deeply religious, yet he has a child (with a white girl) that he doesn't pay for because he claims benefits. His uncles give him time off every thursday to collect it when i knewhim.

Guantanamo is a terrible place. I'm not racist. But, he hardly did himself any favours.

i read your reply. thanks.

jimbo12345
04-01-2007, 01:30 AM
The 11 part series Planet Earth which is running Sunday nights on Discovery has been amazing thus far, the footage they managed to capture is insane.

But all you people with the BBC have already seen these.

This was a great series. If you get the chance to watch this on HDTV, do. I have no shame in admitting a tear formed when I saw the part with the swimming polar bear. Again, makes you feel a little embarrassed about our efforts to stop the rot.

I'd love to find a decent UFO/phenomina documentary, but everyone i've found seem dodgy.

Bucktoof
04-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I watched a really great documentary on how samurai swords are made, I think it's from the discovery channel.

killuminati96
04-03-2007, 03:45 AM
In the bonus features of the Malcolm X movie DVD you'll find a great 1970's documentary on his life.

Another good one is "Tupac Resurrection" which talks all about his life and death.

Hitler's Henchmen is a good series of documentaries about Hitler and all the people who surrounded him.

emsee
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
"An Inconvenient Truth" was really good

CrabGirl
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
http://maddox.xmission.com/

Skiz
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Just got finished watching the first 3 parts (Disc 1) of Planet Earth. By far the coolest nature shit I've ever seen. The footage is just unbelievable. :O

jimbo12345
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Just got finished watching the first 3 parts (Disc 1) of Planet Earth. By far the coolest nature shit I've ever seen. The footage is just unbelievable. :O

Great series....attenborough is a god.

moikan
04-07-2007, 05:22 AM
i liked BBC's
"walking with" series
walking with monsters - about the time before the dinosaurs
walking with dinosaurs
walking with beasts - after the dinosaurs

Amazing CGI really managed to bring each era to life.
Really enjoyable and educating.
I still watch it from time to time

Monkeee
04-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Not my favorite but a pretty well made documentary.

Lost Boys of Sudan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383475/

ocanica
04-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Planet Earth is one of the best documentaries in recent memory. Do yourself a favour and don't watch the DC version, its crap compared to the BBC's. Damn you Sigourney Weaver.

Finn_1337
04-09-2007, 05:06 AM
well this is all good to know. I just downloaded season 1 of Planet Earth, now I'm pretty stoked to watch it. :)

SaveFerris
04-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Recently I watched Louis Theroux - The Most Hated Family In America, it was quite interesting. I also liked the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated, very interesting though I'd have a stronger opinion about that if I were American. I suppose it doesn't affect me at all being British.

thegman24
04-09-2007, 07:43 AM
There's a great musical documentary out there called:
Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why is Everybody Talking About Him)
... hopefully it will be released on DVD soon and somebody will post it; otherwise don't know how I will see it!

kammi
04-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I recently watched 'America:Freedom to Fascism' by Aaron Russo
http://www.freedomtofascism.com/

I found it very interesting. A documentary that explores the connection between income tax collection and the erosion of civil liberties in America.

worth a watch, in my opinion.

Kammi

userz
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
microcosmos (1996)
grizzlyman (2005)
cocaine cowboys (2006)
the elegant universe (2003)