PDA

View Full Version : Wishing to set up a WLAN

orcutt989
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I just bought a router and have it all set up so that both my laptop and desktop can use the computer. Now what I want to do is set up a WLAN so I can browse the contents of one another's hard drives, play LAN games, etc. I have been googling for days, but to no success. Every site just shows me how to set up a router, or shows me something that is no help at all. Ive tried using windows "set up a wireless network" and followed all the instructions, but no dice. My desktop is wired into the router and everything, and I am able to use the internet on the laptop I am using. What am I missing?

4play
04-01-2007, 05:27 PM
make sure the 2 computers both have the same workgroup name set. MSHOME for both should work fine.

Virtualbody1234
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Check that your firewalls aren't blocking communications.

orcutt989
04-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Could you maybe tell me what to do? I dont really know what I am doing anyways, just to see if I even did it right. And like I said before, google wasnt a very big help. I clicked "Set up a wireless network..." in My Network Places, and then tried adding my laptop to the home network via a flash drive, but it didnt work.. Do I need an access point? I only have a router...

EDIT: Aha it is the firewall. I shut if off and now it works! I just have to configure kaspersky now... urgh. How would I go about doing that?

4play
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
why would you have to configure your anti virus software ?

Virtualbody1234
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
why would you have to configure your anti virus software ?

Because kaspersky makes firewalls too. :P

orcutt989
04-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey, how do I make all my files on my desktop not private? I was fiddling with my user account earlier and didnt realize I would probably want to keep those public. How do I make all my files public again? And also I am not able to view files within a drive, only view what's on the root of the drive. What can I do about that?

kolio41
04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
u can open any of ur computers by its ip
open start run and type
\\type (file://\\type) the ip of the pc u want to open
example
\\192.168.1.100 (file://\\192.168.1.100)
this is one way and there is another way
send pm if u want to know

orcutt989
04-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that suggestion, but I desire an actual network, as stated previously.

kolio41
04-01-2007, 06:38 PM
ok u can setup like network card and all in the same group and it will work
u use inferastructure in cards right??
by the way my project in my faculty in wireless lan if u want any help just let me know

orcutt989
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
If someone could give answers to the questions I have already posted, that would be great. I am unable to view shared folders on my laptop. ON my PC I have shared "My Music" folder, but cannot open it on my laptop. I receive a "You might not have permission to view..." error.

EDIT* I fixed it, my account name folder in the Documents and Settings directory was set to private, fixed it now! Woot! But what about map networking drives? Will that allow me to browse/edit the contents of my hard drives over the network?

kolio41
04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
look it may be firewall or when u sharing something u put security on it thats why the message appear to u
all u have to do is get low security while u sharing something and it will open in the other pc

kazaa2002
04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
If someone could give answers to the questions I have already posted, that would be great. I am unable to view shared folders on my laptop. ON my PC I have shared "My Music" folder, but cannot open it on my laptop. I receive a "You might not have permission to view..." error.

EDIT* I fixed it, my account name folder in the Documents and Settings directory was set to private, fixed it now! Woot! But what about map networking drives? Will that allow me to browse/edit the contents of my hard drives over the network?

go to pc hd
right click and select properties
tab to sharing
checkoff share
checkoff allow network to change files
click apply
.....wait for permissions to finish

that should do it as you have done everything else.

orcutt989
04-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Thank you so much for such a direct and quick response! However, I have tried that, and yet it only lets me browse the root of the drive, and none of the other folders.. How can I get it to show up in My Computer as well?

kazaa2002
04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Thank you so much for such a direct and quick response! However, I have tried that, and yet it only lets me browse the root of the drive, and none of the other folders.. How can I get it to show up in My Computer as well?

Try this method....goto a selected folder
do the right click again
select sharing an security
follow the same method as I mentioned in previous
response....your goal is to get the share(hand)
indicating on the target folder.
windows will fight you, you just have to be relentless.
you may have to go this route on many folders

thewizeard
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
That's the way I do it too... and the correct way.