PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent Installing uTorrent on a Leeware Walkthrough

Pages : [1] 2

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Installing uTorrent on a Leeware

Updates
11-Apr: Added a bit of information on speed issues
3-Apr: Added a few more things on how to install uTorrent on a Leaseweb server.

TONS of people have been PMing me lately to set up their Leeware boxes, so I guess I should just post a guide on how to do it ;) This guide is intended for Leeware servers only, but it may work with other servers running RPM based distributions (aka distros) as well. Firstly, you need to get the following applications:
Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/%7Esgtatham/putty/download.html) or any other SSH client
FTP Client (with SFTP support) like CuteFTP, WinSCP, WS_FTP, etc.
TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/) or any other VNC ViewerNow, follow instructions carefully.
Open up Putty. On the left tree, go to Session.
Under Hostname (or IP address) type your IP or hostname (i.e. vpsxxx.leeware.com)
Choose SSH (port 22)
Under Saved Sessions, type something like "My Leeware Box" and press Save. (Later on, you can just load the session, so you don't have to do the previous steps again)
Press Open.
Now, a black screen should come up (terminal/command prompt).
Enter your root account details - (username, password)
Notice, when you type in the password, nothing appears on the screen! That's not a bug - it's normal. Btw, you can also paste the password by right click (again, putty won't display anything on screen).
At this point, you should be logged on. Yay, we can install some stuff now.
Type yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server to install those 3 apps: xterm (a GUI terminal), wine (to emulate windows), and VNC server (to allow you to remote control your server with a GUI).
After a while, you should see that those 3 apps are installed.
Download uTorrent onto your server. Type wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/utorrent.exe
Start VNC server, type vncserver :1
Enter any password of your choice for the VNC server.
Now, VNC server should be started. So, you can login with VNC viewer (which you installed on YOUR PC).
The server address is: :1 or :1. (e.g. vps778.leeware.com:1)
Now, a desktop should appear with a terminal/command prompt on the top left hand corner.
Run uTorrent. Type wine utorrent.exe.
w00t! uTorrent should be up and running now. Also, you should go to preferences and change the settings to whatever you want. :DBut, what about webUI? Well, you can install the WebUI through SSH, but since lots of people asked me about how to get files from their box to their HDD, I'll just teach you how to do it using SFTP.
On uTorrent, go to preferences and on the side tree, go to Advanced >> WebUI - tick Enable Web Interface and also, put your desired username and password for the webUI.
I also recommend putting an alternative port (8080 is fine).
Now, use your FTP client and login to your server. Put SFTP as the mode, put in the hostname/IP and port should be the default 22.
Boom! You should see all the files in your server now.
Browse to /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/Application Data/uTorrent/
Get WebUI (http://download.utorrent.com/beta/webui_v0.310_beta_2.rar) and extract webui.zip. Now, transfer webui.zip to the directory that I specified above (through SFTP of course). Btw, you usually just to drag and drop the file.
Voila! WebUI is installed.:yahoo:

But, where is it, where's the WebUI?
Go to http://hostname:port/gui/ (http://hostname/gui/) with your browser and login with your chosen username and password.
For example: http://vpsxxx.leeware.com:8080/gui/

More Frequently Asked Questions

Will uTorrent still run if I close VNC and Putty?
Yeah, it will still run. VNC and Putty is just to control your server.

How do I add torrents to the WebUI?
Well, that's simple - just press the (+) button on the WebUI. :) Alternatively, you might want to get this firefox extension (http://thinkpond.org/content/view/13/32/) so you can just drag and drop links from torrent sites.

Yeah, so I get all this. But how do I download stuff from the box to my server?
Use FTP. When you installed the WebUI, you're basically uploading webui.zip on to the server. Here, you do the reverse (Yeah, you can drag and drop).

GRRR! I'm getting slow speeds! What do I do? NEW!
If you used the speed guide on uTorrent and set it to xxx/100mbps, you should be getting the maximum speeds out of your leeware. You have to also remember that speeds depend on the torrent as well (I suggest you check peers list to see others' speeds). Other than that, I HAVE NO CLUE ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE SPEED (please don't PM me about this). Live with it, or if you're getting ridiculously low speeds then email lee.

OMG, Where does uTorrent save the files?
Wherever you set it to in Preferences. The default is /root/. (There's nothing wrong with the default directory btw, you don't need to change it.)

Sh*t, my server just crashed and WebUI ain't running anymore, what do I do?
Well, it's a simple process. Just login to your server using Putty. Type vncserver :1 to run VNC server again. Login to the VNC server using VNC viewer, and run uTorrent from the terminal - wine utorrent.exe. Now, everything should be fine. (For people who are more 1337 with Linux, if you want you can edit the VNC start up file (on ~/.vnc/ to run uTorrent automatically when VNC starts to make life easier).

How do I run Firefox and do other stuff on the server?
This guide is only for installing uTorrent and plus, on a Leeware, there's really no point installing Firefox and other applications because it's so slow (you get what you pay for).

What!!!?? There are no screenshots!!!
Yeah, not at the moment. I might add some later on.

Will you be making a guide for installing TorrentFlux, rTorrent, and etc?
No, IMO uTorrent is highly superior to the other clients. The WebUI is sexy ;)

I tried this on a Leaseweb Express server but it doesn't work.
Yeah, leaseweb servers doesn't have SFTP. The installation process is a bit more complicated. First, you need to add a repository (like RPMForge (http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge)) which contains: xterm, wine, vnc-server and etc. You also need to install fonts (msttcorefonts) and you'd need to install WebUI by using wget and unrar (not built-in you need to install this as well). You might also want to install an FTP server (proftpd), you would also need to configure it after it's installed.

I read all of this, but I'm still stuck...
I am afraid you're just too much of a n00b to use a Linux Server - get Windows!!

LOL Just joking, you can PM me (with your AIM/MSN/YAHOO, etc. preferably), and I'll see what I can do.

P.S. This guide might contain some errors - so feel free to comment and give feedback.

-------------------------------

Thanks for reading :D

euitwa
04-02-2007, 09:36 AM
lol, fwiw, Ktorrent is a good native linux alternative to utorrent under wine, so long as you don't use Opera to look at the webui (because this was causing me quite a bit of headache as it seems to crash ktorrent)

Leecher101
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Great so far. Very much look forward to seeing it once it's fully complete. Time to install uT under wine instead of Torrentflux now.

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
I think it's done now.

Someone try it and see if there's anything wrong.
I might have missed a step or maybe I haven't explained something clearly.

Enjoy.

medo
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
very nice m8 it will help a lpt of members here

Pelorus
04-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Thank you very much I really consider to buy a box from them :)

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Thank you very much I really consider to buy a box from them :)

It's very good for its price IMO. The 20GB HDD is annoying though.

RTFM
04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Beautiful. Thanks for all the help Buggyme, this should be stickied. :thumbsup:

TYPE R
04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
nice job buggyme;)

Yagami
04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Good job, should be stickied for future reference.

Eazil
04-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Good job, thanks.

nemesi54
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Good job man..thanks a lot...

Why dont you make it a sticky also..

lol

LorD.MeXiCaN
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks!!! you are big

Temp2007
04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aryan1
04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
great work

NYGiants
04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
buggyme this is awsome, i am still waiting on my order but i am very grateful 4 this

muntathr
04-02-2007, 06:54 PM
useful info

many thanks

stoma
04-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanx.

Temp2007
04-02-2007, 07:59 PM
fixed

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 08:01 PM
^

mm, what's the problem?

joyntkid
04-02-2007, 08:43 PM
HIGH FIVE!! i might try reinstalling mine by myself now :)

btw, you can get bigger than a 20GB HDD.
just e-mail them and ask. i think it was 100GB HDD.
pretty good deal, but i would probably crash the server too much trying to run too many torrents at once.

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
A friend of mine did ask, but they didn't allow it if I'm not mistaken.

joyntkid
04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
wow, i just realized this was uTorrent, not torrentflux.
gonna have to try this after tonight (thats my 24,PB server)

i was offered 60GB for $25, just the same memory as $15 plan.
also, they have 4 100GB plans that i was offered, each with more RAM starting at 384MB and $50/month.

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Hmm, interesting :) The 60GB plan looks good.

ifkstab
04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
I had just started attempting to set up my server when I found this. Saved me a lot more headaches. Worked perfectly.

josephs911
04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Has anyone else tried this? Someone has gotten some errors so be careful!!!

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/bittorrent-invites-section/t-any-help-169835

Buggyme
04-02-2007, 10:08 PM
That problem is fixed now :)

cyadron
04-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. I am sure it will help a lot of people. For future improovements, a repository detailed explanation would do good :). Also i think there's a typo... at step 10: "and VNC server (to allow you to remove control your server with a GUI)." i think is to "remote control". A job well done.

erax
04-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Type yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server to install those 3 apps

do we have to upload vnc-server on the server's root first b4 editing that command !!
or just that command to prepare the server to receive the vnc-viewer logging !

nikmash232
04-03-2007, 03:13 AM
buggyme is a genius

RTFM
04-03-2007, 03:16 AM

do we have to upload vnc-server on the server's root first b4 editing that command !!

When you run that command, FC6 should download those applications from the repository (basically an online program database) and then install them. No need to download them yourself.

erax
04-03-2007, 03:24 AM

When you run that command, FC6 should download those applications from the repository (basically an online program database) and then install them. No need to download them yourself.
hmm,nice shoot mate

btw we need how to set up torrentFlux easy ,wonderful php one
honestly the guide i read to setup T.F deadly to do with a basic info about Linux :unsure:

iStix
04-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks BuggyMe You're the best... ;)

Buggyme
04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't like TF much mainly because:

- You can't partial seed a file.
- Interface is worse than uTorrent WebUI's.
- People say that Wine is a resource hog, but really, bittornado uses just as much resources as Wine and uTorrent.
- And uTorrent has way more features...

The only advantage is probably, it allows multiple users - but that's about it.

Patriot foreve
04-03-2007, 10:03 AM
thx buggy for the great guide :)

RTFM
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I get some errors when opening uTorrent. Is fixing this as simple as installing libGL? Yum -y install libGL isn't the right command. uTorrent runs fine, I'm just missing parts of the window border.

err:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetProcAddress No libGL on this box - disabling OpenGL support !
err:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetProcAddress No libGL on this box - disabling OpenGL support !
wine: '/root/.wine' created successfully.
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {304ce942-6e39-40d8-943a-b913c40c9cd4} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {304ce942-6e39-40d8-943a-b913c40c9cd4} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:listview:LISTVIEW_SetColumnOrderArray iCount 16 lpiArray 0x33ee18
fixme:keyboard:UnregisterHotKey (0x30026,1): stub
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {304ce942-6e39-40d8-943a-b913c40c9cd4} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {304ce942-6e39-40d8-943a-b913c40c9cd4} could be created for context 0x1

Buggyme
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I get some errors when opening uTorrent. Is fixing this as simple as installing libGL?

wine: '/root/.wine' created successfully.
fixme:listview:LISTVIEW_SetColumnOrderArray iCount 16 lpiArray 0x33ee18
fixme:keyboard:UnregisterHotKey (0x30026,1): stub

You don't need to do anything. uTorrent should start up anyways. If not, you can PM me with your MSN and I'll try and see what's going on.

RTFM
04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, it runs fine and the WebUI looks sexy. Thanks for all the help Buggy! :)

LorD.MeXiCaN
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
now i have torrentflux, try install utorrent, but later save in Putty no runing. SAy:
conection reffused

Buggyme
04-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Huh? I don't understand...

Xaeron
04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the walkthrough, this might really come in handy in case I can't find somebody to share a server (and payments alongside) with Vectoral..

STAGUY
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Great guide thanks for sharing!

Demonikus
04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
After extracting the webui.zip and copying the new webui.zip to the appdata/utorrent folder I try to open vpsxxx.leeware.com:8080/ui/ in my browser but only recieve the message: invalid request. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

RTFM
04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
It should be vpsxxx.leeware.com:8080/gui/

Demonikus
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Sorry, that was just a typo. I'm receiving the error with vpsxxx.leeware.com:8080/gui/

Edit: I changed the port to 16000 in both utorrent options and my browser and now it's working. I guess it didn't like 8080 for some reason.

RTFM
04-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I assume you are replacing the x's with your server's numbers. Try restarting uTorrent through VNC.

Leecher101
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
nevermind

Cobra98
04-04-2007, 04:36 PM
How do you connect with SFTP using FlashFXP? I have been using this program for years and for the life of me I cant figure out how to connect to my leeware server using SFTP. I tried WS-FTP and CuteFTP but I dont really care for either of those and would like to stick with FlashFXP if possible.....

Thanks!

RTFM
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Apparently Flash FXP doesn't support SFTP. I recommend WS_FTP, works well for me.

Cobra98
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Why the slow transfer speeds to Leeware? I am trying to fxp from fast 100mbit sites and it transfers pretty slow, I seen 200k max, mostly 50-100k....

Temp2007
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
any program to create torrents utorrent doesn't work for me..

resolved problem :naughty:

Buggyme
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Apparently Flash FXP doesn't support SFTP. I recommend WS_FTP, works well for me.

Hmmm, I didn't know that I thought it did.

kabir
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Updates

TONS of people have been PMing me lately to set up their Leeware boxes, so I guess I should just post a guide on how to do it ;) This guide is intended for Leeware servers only, but it may work with other servers running RPM based distributions (aka distros) as well. Firstly, you need to get the following applications:

Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/%7Esgtatham/putty/download.html) or any other SSH client
TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/) or any other VNC ViewerNow, follow instructions carefully.

Under Hostname (or IP address) type your IP or hostname (i.e. vpsxxx.leeware.com)
Choose SSH (port 22)
Under Saved Sessions, type something like "My Leeware Box" and press Save. (Later on, you can just load the session, so you don't have to do the previous steps again)
Press Open.
Notice, when you type in the password, nothing appears on the screen! That's not a bug - it's normal. Btw, you can also paste the password by right click (again, putty won't display anything on screen).
Type yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server to install those 3 apps: xterm (a GUI terminal), wine (to emulate windows), and VNC server (to allow you to remove control your server with a GUI).
Download uTorrent onto your server. Type wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/utorrent.exe

when i type vncserver:1
i get msg:

-bash: vncserver:1: command not found

wot to do?? pls reply quick

YoMaN
04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
is it possibale you would take a video or post screen shots of how you do it.

kabir
04-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Buggyme
U r a gem to dis community
thx for helping me out

RTFM
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM

I think I'm actually wrong on that. The information I found is like a year old, so support has probably been added since.

Buggyme
04-05-2007, 12:39 PM

I think I'm actually wrong on that. The information I found is like a year old, so support has probably been added since.

Ahh well, I removed it from the list of FTP clients I said in the guide, just in case.

Xaeron
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I have FlashFXP 3.2.0 build 1080

When you connect / set up a server to connect to you can choose: Standard (No SSL), Auth SSL, Auth TLS or Implicit SSL.
Neither of those worked, couldn't connect to leeware box.

However, I downloaded WinSCP which is free and it worked fine.

EDIT:
It seems the newest version is 3.4, 3.2 being the version before that. However, I cannot seem to locate any info about whether it now supports SFTP or not... at least I couldn't find anything referring to that in the changelog history.

darkseekers
04-06-2007, 03:23 AM
w00t..this thread rawk...salute buggyme..lol

Alco23
04-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Woah... Sticky? :D

darkseekers
04-06-2007, 08:53 AM
why do i always get connection time out at my utorrent webui.??
any idea..?

Buggyme
04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
It just happens from time to time. It's probably because uTorrent is using up too much resources and/or bandwidth.

Pelorus
04-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Maybe someone know why my upload speed on the seedbox is very slow.
It is usually about 20-50 kb/s , the record was about 200 kb/s.
I am seeding 4 torrents:
(seeders, leechers)
75/29
47/2
67/92
137/21

the download speed is fine about 5-6 mb/s

darkseekers
04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I am seeding 4 torrents:
(seeders, leechers)
75/29
47/2
67/92
137/21

using which client and company..??

Pelorus
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I am seeding 4 torrents:
(seeders, leechers)
75/29
47/2
67/92
137/21

using which client and company..??
client :utorrent
company : leeware

Buggyme
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I heard from most leeware users that they get around 2mb/s or so. You should email them if you keep getting those low speeds.

Pelorus
04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I heard from most leeware users that they get around 2mb/s or so. You should email them if you keep getting those low speeds.

I email them and still didn't get a response that help me

RTFM
04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
What is the number of seeders and leechers? If you are trying to seed an unpopular torrent, or there are too many seeders and the leechers won't accept data from you, you won't have high upload speed no matter who the provider is.

Pelorus
04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
What is the number of seeders and leechers? If you are trying to seed an unpopular torrent, or there are too many seeders and the leechers won't accept data from you, you won't have high upload speed no matter who the provider is.

Even when I download file to my computer the speed is sucked, the torrent are popular you can see the seeders/leechers in my previous post in the thread

they send me now this test:
1. 100Mbps Connection = 20.96Mbps
2. 10Mbps Connection = 6.4Mbps
3. 6Mbps Connection = 4.0Mbps

I need to check it with someone

RTFM
04-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry, didn't see you post the seeder/leecher ratios above. All of those except one have more seeders than leechers, which isn't exactly the desirable ratio if you're trying to seed. Look for new torrents with only a few seeders and high leechers, you might see higher speeds.

gossard25
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks Buggyme for all the help

Pelorus
04-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorry, didn't see you post the seeder/leecher ratios above. All of those except one have more seeders than leechers, which isn't exactly the desirable ratio if you're trying to seed. Look for new torrents with only a few seeders and high leechers, you might see higher speeds.

I pm buggyman file from my seedbox and he download in about 30 kb/s
I send them email , maybe now they will solve me the problem

update: email from them :
Being that this is an unamanaged service your friend will have to help your resolve the problem -- I have already indicated that I can download files from your server at 2-4Mbps which is 200K-600K even 800K

maxrebo
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I prefer using x11vnc as the VNC server. Presumably, it would use less CPU/RAM than a normal VNC server because it uses an existing X session instead of starting a new one. That is assuming that there is already an X session running, which I am not certain of with leeware.

Buggyme
04-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Nope, I don't think an existing X session would be running by default on a VPS server.

maxrebo
04-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Nope, I don't think an existing VNC server would be running by default on a VPS server.

Not an existing VNC server, an existing X session. As in, even a Gnome or KDE login screen that already exists. By your instructions of connecting to X display :1, I assume that an X display :0 already exists. Then, you might be able to save some ram by connecting to the existing :0 using x11vnc instead of starting a :1 with a normal VNC server.

nikmash232
04-07-2007, 01:18 AM
this is pure genius

Buggyme
04-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Nope, I don't think an existing VNC server would be running by default on a VPS server.

Not an existing VNC server, an existing X session. As in, even a Gnome or KDE login screen that already exists. By your instructions of connecting to X display :1, I assume that an X display :0 already exists. Then, you might be able to save some ram by connecting to the existing :0 using x11vnc instead of starting a :1 with a normal VNC server.

Hehe, yeah sorry that's what I meant. Just typed it wrong :P
Edited my post now.

And yeah, on a Leeware, they basically installed FC6 on server mode, not desktop mode, so they don't have any X session running - no KDE/GNOME.

asher78
04-07-2007, 12:36 PM
thats a greate guide ...
thanks,

DVito
04-07-2007, 04:04 PM
just a few questions:

1. which leeware plan was this done on? do you think things would work alright with $15 plan? (384mb ram)

2. has lee ever said anything about torrenting? i would think that because of this thread he has many torrenters..

OmaRin0
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
great guide
thx

Pelorus
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I can't access to my seedbox only today some1 has this problem either ?

RTFM
04-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Hmm, I just logged in via SSH and VNC. It's possible that your server crashed. Email Lee, he will check it out.

sooti
04-08-2007, 06:45 PM
works great!!

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/953/seedls0.jpg

Leecher101
04-09-2007, 07:51 AM
If you have very slow downloads when FTP'ing large *.iso or *.avi files and muti-part downloading doesn't work within your client then here's a way to speed up your downloads using Lxsplit (HJsplit compatible).
Type wget http://www.freebyte.com/download/lxsplit.tar.gz
Type tar xzf lxsplit.tar.gz
Type cd /root/lxsplit-0.1.1
Type make
Type make installYou have now successfully installed Lxsplit. To use lxsplit you cd to the directory your large file is located and split. So if that large file is in root then you would type cd /root in putty. To split the file into 10MB pieces you would issue the follow command lxsplit -s largeassfile.iso 10M. Now just set your max concurrent transfers in your FTP client to something like 20 or more and download all the .001, .002, etc files.

To join the files back together HJSplit (google it) and join the file.

Ecca
04-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Leecher101 if the file is in a folder in root we type cd /root/foldername ? and can you explain what exactly cd / root does?

RTFM
04-10-2007, 03:19 AM
CD stands for current directory,and that's what it does. /root/foldername is the path you are tying to go to.

Ecca
04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Okay, thank you. Simple enough. I'll edit with my results.

Edit: Transferring a single 15meg rar I get less than 100kBps. Any suggestions?

darkseekers
04-10-2007, 02:40 PM
damn..now leeware lowest package increase to usd20..

A23
04-11-2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks a lot for this! keep up the good work :D

ElGatoo
04-11-2007, 04:19 AM
yes, that suck, but look, Click on RENT NOW, in the page of Paypal, it cost usd 15 :P

RTFM
04-11-2007, 04:21 AM

My paypal subscription is still at $15, so I wonder if I'm locked in at that price or if it just wasn't updated. :unsure:

Buggyme
04-11-2007, 06:01 AM
1. which leeware plan was this done on? do you think things would work alright with $15 plan? (384mb ram)
2. has lee ever said anything about torrenting? i would think that because of this thread he has many torrenters..

1. It should work on all plans.
2. Not that I know of.

LorD.MeXiCaN
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I cant :(, try runing Putty and sayme: network eror: connection refused :(

please helpme

pfdez
04-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Now, follow instructions carefully.
Choose SSH (port 22)
Press Open.
Type yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server to install those 3 apps: xterm (a GUI terminal), wine (to emulate windows), and VNC server (to allow you to remote control your server with a GUI).
Now, VNC server should be started. So, you can login with VNC viewer (which you installed on YOUR PC).
The server address is: :1 or :1. (e.g. vps778.leeware.com:1

Here i have the problem, when im trying to connect with the vnc, show mw this error ( Failed to connect to listening vnc viewer)... what do you think it could be ?? thanks...

Buggyme
04-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Mmm, connect to listening VNC viewer?
You're connecting to a VNC server! You used the wrong app basically. You're supposed to use VNC VIEWER not VNC SERVER.

chuckunderwood
04-18-2007, 10:18 PM

chuckunderwood
04-20-2007, 04:42 AM
can someone explain what WebUI is and do i need it

vaidyanath
04-20-2007, 07:23 AM
So many thanks Buggyme (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/buggyme-138386) for this Thread

Agent47
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the great Guide.

l337Abhi
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Thnks man did all sorts of gud to me ! Reps added for ur gr8 work

Toufas
04-22-2007, 12:27 AM
guys, how can i activate right click?

darkseekers
04-22-2007, 02:43 PM
guys...anyone having problem connect to leeware rite now..??

kabir
04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
guys...anyone having problem connect to leeware rite now..??
working fine for me..
if u have problems, mail them.
sometimes its a prob wid just a single vps.

doda32
04-22-2007, 03:34 PM
if the VM has frozen, but you can access it via Putty, you can do a restart by typing "shutdown -r now" in putty

klubhead
04-22-2007, 05:05 PM
thanks for this guide! made setting up utorrent a breeze!!

prima1
04-22-2007, 05:33 PM
So far so good, But can I close VNC and use utorrent via the WUI? Does that save memory and how do I do it if it does?

Something Else
04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
thanks for the guide, total up speed is only 20k/sec though ???????
thousands of leechers..can it really get that low????

prima1
04-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks a million for the guide Buggyme and for all those who contributed with helpful info.

Please if someone knows how to install winrar/unrar/rar whatever on leeware and HOW TO USE IT please write here because many people need to know that.

I searched the Fedora forums. They talk about downloading something to your desktop (where the hell is the desktop on linux?!!!) and about something called fileroller! and something called the human genome or whatever!!!

please I am a n00b, I don't wanna learn linux and FC6 now, I just want to unrar files on my leeware

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Eazil
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
For unrar files:

-¨yum install unrar.i386¨ (if this don't work put yum search unrar and you look the name and put yum install thename normally is unrar.i386).
-go to the directory of the files
-put: ¨unrar e thenameofthefile.r00¨ (the first name of the rar),
and the file is in these directory.

prima1
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
For unrar files:

-¨yum install unrar.i386¨ (if this don't work put yum search unrar and you look the name and put yum install thename normally is unrar.i386).

Thanks mate. Gonna try it now.

redMonster
04-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I need to reinstall vncserver. I tried this

yum remove vncserver

But it gets stuck to this.

[root@vps*** ~]# yum remove vncserver
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Remove ProcessAfter this, nothing happens. Any help will be appreciated.

prima1
04-24-2007, 08:42 AM
For unrar files:

I am afraid it did not work. It did not find any unrar or unrar.i386 to install

No one knows how to unrar files on a leeware?!!!

SnipeR19
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanx a lot for this guide

Eazil
04-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Try this buddy http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

prima1
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM

I did this and it worked
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install unrar

doda32
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I can't run anything in my Leeware box, it says "Segmentation fault", both via Putty and VNC, please some help mates

prima1
04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I can't run anything in my Leeware box, it says "Segmentation fault", both via Putty and VNC, please some help mates

Sorry to hear that buddy, hope someone can help you soon
Of course you know I can't help because I don't know s**t about linux
I was actually depending on you in case I face a problem :( :lol:

doda32
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanx prima1, I sorted out man :) :)
A simple reboot fixes it all :naughty: :naughty: , I just typed "shutdown -r now", and it's ok now..
But right now I can't connect to Leeware, my seedbox responds to pings, but I can't access it via Putty.
I'm not going with Leeware again, ok you get what you pay, but I'm only getting crashed and unavailable server..:shutup:
I think Lee's network it's overloaded

redMonster
04-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Try to access your seedbox through the IP address.

iStix
04-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Leeware was ok when it cost 15$, but now 20$ for same 20 Gbs and 384 Mbs of RAM. Tfuuu.... Anyways, great tutorial. ;)

Pelorus
04-24-2007, 01:29 PM

I did this and it worked
rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
yum install unrar

thank you works great :)))

andra
04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
I tryed to restart the server with shoutdown -r now and everything worked fine. But now i can´t connect to the server anymore whit putty or vnc viewer?

Any body now whats i did wrong?
in putty i get this message " network error: connection timeout"

jebidiah
04-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Yeah I just tried the "shutdown -r now" and now Im stuck too. I was actually stuck before and I had them restart the server, but utorrent was not responding and I wasnt getting anywhere. So I tried the reboot and Im getting " network error: connection timeout". any thoughts?

kabir
04-27-2007, 02:31 AM
just ask them to restart the server

upGrayde
04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
so i started the first vncserver, but i coudln't get the terminal

i started naother vncserver :2, and i'm now using this to use my seedbox

question is, how does one close a vncserver?

dieudesorcs
04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
to close a vncserver, you just go in putty :
vncserver -kill :x

where x is the port of the vncserver you want to close.

Me, i'm running to vncserver : on the first i launch utorrent with wine and in the second firefox. So i don"t have to mind about windows manager

prima1
04-27-2007, 11:55 AM
to close a vncserver, you just go in putty :
vncserver -kill :x

where x is the port of the vncserver you want to close.

Me, i'm running to vncserver : on the first i launch utorrent with wine and in the second firefox. So i don"t have to mind about windows manager

another great tip

Something Else
04-28-2007, 12:38 AM
my leeware box has stopped responding to ftp or through utorrent webui....what shall I do????? Contact Lee???? Can spmeone please help me????? Noooooooooooooooooo

kabir
04-28-2007, 12:42 AM
just contact lee.
it happens
just give him a mail
and ur prob will b solved

Something Else
04-28-2007, 12:45 AM
can you PM me the addy please mate??

kabir
04-28-2007, 12:59 AM
check ur pm mate.

chiefosceola
04-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Ok probably a stupid question but how do you stop the utorrent logger. It keeps logging everything from the webgui. Is this just a cache set to a certain size that will just keep overwritting itself or is gonna clutter up my box. I could probably disable it if I was able to right click, but I don't know if this is just linux (I'm a noob to linux) or there is something I need to do to enable it. Any help would be great. Other than that been working great for 3 days which I wouldn't have been able to do without this tutorial.

a7a
05-01-2007, 03:57 AM
i just want to say "thanks" for this excellent guide. :)

jayway
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
If you want to free up some ram do this in putty:

service yum-updatesd stop

then

yum remove yum-updatesd

this removes the automatic update service which had 85MB of ram reserved on my system.

To see how much ram it takes on your machine type 'top' in putty an then type M (must be a capital M).
Look for yum-updatesd in the COMMAND column and then check the res column for the ram usage.

prima1
05-01-2007, 04:21 PM
If you want to free up some ram do this in putty:

service yum-updatesd stop

then

yum remove yum-updatesd

this removes the automatic update service which had 85MB of ram reserved on my system.

To see how much ram it takes on your machine type 'top' in putty an then type M (must be a capital M).
Look for yum-updatesd in the COMMAND column and then check the res column for the ram usage.

85M as well. Thanks for the great tip!
I hope it won't cause any trouble, I have all programs installed though so I don't need any updates.

BTW why should I remove it, If I never reboot my machine can I not just stop it?

Toufas
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
i cant connect to webgui from firefox for the last few hours,the plugin reports activity fine. i dont have any problem connecting with IE :/

Something Else
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I want to wipe my box and start again as it crashes every 5 mins, can soemone PM me the command for this please???

Loris
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
^^ i think u need lee to do that for you.. u need physical access to the box etc

Something Else
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
thanks, I mailed him but no reponse since yesterday

lafur
05-07-2007, 01:03 AM
I was just wondering how i forward a port on my Leeware because it says i am not connectable.

DVito
05-07-2007, 01:06 AM
you do not forward ports on leeware. that site's checker is broken.

ElGatoo
05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
i have a problem, when i connect with VNC.. the screen is very tiny..i can make it bigger :(

i put vncserver -geometry 1024x768 .. but the terminal and utorrent still very tiny

KFlint
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
edit

KFlint
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
am i the only here with is box crashing every day, i only run utorrent (not more than 3-4 torrents) under twm or kde, same results...the system is very unstable...

i have opengl warning while running utorrent in wine, maybe that could be the problem

after 2 days, i already want to cancel :(

if anyone has tips...

thx!

Eazil
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
i have a problem using wine however with utorrent. Here are the errors while starting utorrent.exe :

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/25/sanstitrevo9.jpg

This errors are normal. try remove twm and kde if u only use utorrent.

rotem1984
05-10-2007, 09:48 PM
i have a problem
when i need to enter a password for the vnc server i get this message
-bash: -bash:: command not found
what should i do?

ibnahmed
05-13-2007, 08:57 PM
all is fine except starting a torrent in utorrent
i cant connect to the server using ws_ftp
how? please

roiko
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
i have a seedbox on leeware,
i just paurchesed another ip adress
and just got the ip details from leeware, by e-mail
but i have no idea how to set it up,

can anyone help me out?
pm me please..
thx

ibnahmed
05-13-2007, 10:41 PM
it is in the first page of this topic
details there, i have just done that.

my problem above was solved by using ws_ftp to upload the torrent to the server and then load it.

haydeno
05-14-2007, 05:25 AM
So the average speeds are not even 1mbps??? How many ppl per server

KFlint
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
edit

stathis
05-14-2007, 04:02 PM
everything works fine. Thanks for the tutorial.

Is there any way i can maximize utorrent when i access it via vnc? It's very annoying having to scroll all the time to view all the columns.

NewZ
05-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Average is 1 MBps i would say, not 1 mbps

mMM... 100kB/sec? or 1000kB/sec?

KFlint
05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
1MBps= 1024 KBps

;)

darkseekers
05-15-2007, 12:12 AM
izzit leeware down..??
because i can't connect to leeware....

KFlint
05-15-2007, 12:14 AM
edit

darkseekers
05-15-2007, 12:20 AM
same problem here...

it's starting to piss me off...:angry:

yeah..i can't connect almost 12 hours now..
damn leeware

DVito
05-15-2007, 01:06 AM
my leeware is just fine

haydeno
05-15-2007, 01:35 AM
how long for set up been waiting since yesterday mornin, today they gave me email that says respond to this to confirm membership

DVito
05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
did you reply to the email? lee has said he has many orders, be patient.

haydeno
05-15-2007, 04:55 AM
i just replied and said i ordered . how long u think(am i being billed for waiting???)

balbaid
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
A quick question: How do I know if my server was shut down? coz I can't access it for a few hours, it says username or password incorrect ( Access denied, in Putty ). I received my login info 3 days ago, they can't possibly shut it down.

P.S: I only used 70 gig b/w.

nbo
05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
i get a msg that "wine" is an unknown command, help anyone??

and i installed the wine, i did everything the guide says, went over and over it but i keep getting the same prob

haydeno
05-16-2007, 01:41 AM
got it but fastet i get is 700 up and 400 down . what server ratio

mbucari1
05-16-2007, 01:44 AM
fastest I have gotten is 5MB/s down and 4MB/s up (not simultaneously)

haydeno
05-16-2007, 04:16 AM
seems faster at night .5\1.2 now but still hoping for 2ish

also is it normal for ALL the ram to be used(theres 4mb left)

mbucari1
05-17-2007, 05:46 AM
at night where you are ;)

darkseekers
05-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Please be advised service on this account has been terminated
http://www.leeware.com/customer.html (http://www.leeware.com/customer.html)

...Hosting and distributing illegal content....

I've spent a sizable portion of my day trying to get this resolved

Temp2007
05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I need help with my disk cache configuration for utorrent with leeware (384 RAM, 20 HDD).

I have these:

Override automatic chache size (...) [uncheck]
Reduce memory usage (...) [check]
Enable caching of disk writes [check]
Write out untouched (...) [check]
Write out finished (...) [check]
Enable caching of disk reads [check]
Turn off read (...) [check]
Remove old blocks (...) [check]
Increase automatic (...) [check]

These are well??

Thanks in advance!

0sec
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Could someone say me how i can change the size of running programm in vnc?
for example utorrent. i can change the resolution of the vnc viewer but not the size of utorrent window.
Can someone help?

Eazil
05-17-2007, 03:04 PM
You have to install a window manager. Put ''yum -y install twm'', them in vnc teminal ''twm &''

0sec
05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
You have to install a window manager. Put ''yum -y install twm'', them in vnc teminal ''twm &''

thx a bunch Eazil!
Got it working..:D
Do you maybe have a trick to speed up vncviewer a lil bit?:w00t:

himo
05-18-2007, 08:17 PM
i got a new seedbox form leeware

and i folow all the Buggyme thread setup steps exactly
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-installing-utorrent-leeware-walkthrough-169620

but when i run vnc ... it just apper to me like this ( it shoud apper terminal/command prompt on the top left hand corner )

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7738/fdgsdfgvn6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

what did i do wrong ... can anyone help me with that ?

stathis
05-19-2007, 05:41 PM
on putty log-in as root

type: vncserver -kill :1
then type: vncserver :1

then try VNC again and let me know if the terminal appears now

LorD.MeXiCaN
05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
good job :D

import_fighter
05-20-2007, 11:12 PM
awesome write up....couldnt have been easier.

it it possible to get the ipfilter in utorrent up and going on this also?

yenkcoh
05-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks I used this guide to set it up on my linux dedi server:cool:

One problem though, when I start any torrent up on utorrent it doesnt start to download it just sits there not connecting to the tracker:unsure:

I know I can seed from this server as I have torrentfluxb4rt set up on it and can download and seed with no problems but using utorrent it just doesnt want to budge.

Anyone got some ideas on how I can get my torrents to start on utorrent?

05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
good jobe buggyme

you helped me alote with this guide :D

naq
05-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks I used this guide to set it up on my linux dedi server:cool:

One problem though, when I start any torrent up on utorrent it doesnt start to download it just sits there not connecting to the tracker:unsure:

I know I can seed from this server as I have torrentfluxb4rt set up on it and can download and seed with no problems but using utorrent it just doesnt want to budge.

Anyone got some ideas on how I can get my torrents to start on utorrent?

I ran into this problem when I didn't install wine properly on CentOS 4.4. Perhaps you can try updating your wine software if you haven't done so.

NaQ

ibnahmed
05-26-2007, 01:06 PM
i had to use the command shell under other in the control panel since i cant access it through putty

i think it was fine till i came to the command vncviewer :1
it asks for me to enter the password, but of course entering the password itself is not enough since it isnt a command it needs a command
it says getpassworderror

someone willing to help

MrVictorRivers
05-28-2007, 11:07 AM
i follwed ll of steps...but when i go to vcn viewer and type "wine utorrent.exe" i get and error message....it says...."-bash: wine: command not found" ....ano body know what the problem is?

KFlint
05-28-2007, 01:19 PM
i follwed ll of steps...but when i go to vcn viewer and type "wine utorrent.exe" i get and error message....it says...."-bash: wine: command not found" ....ano body know what the problem is?

try to type again :

yum install wine

see if it install something or not

it should be fine after that, strange

drmezo2003
05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks for ur help

asher78
05-30-2007, 06:38 PM
thanks man,
i used you guide for installing utorrent on my leaseweb and it works great... thanks....

KFlint
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
thanks man,
i used you guide for installing utorrent on my leaseweb and it works great... thanks....

on which linux distro?

Because it wasn't straight-forward at all on centOS

Debian is also completly different than Fedora

Something Else
06-01-2007, 09:00 AM
All the yum update mirrors are down for me??? help???

slin
06-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Updates
11-Apr: Added a bit of information on speed issues

Choose SSH (port 22)
Press Open.
The server address is: :1 or :1. (e.g. vps778.leeware.com:1)
Now, a desktop should appear with a terminal/command prompt on the top left hand corner.
Run uTorrent. Type wine utorrent.exe.
w00t! uTorrent should be up and running now. Also, you should go to preferences and change the settings to whatever you want. :DBut, what about webUI? Well, you can install the WebUI through SSH, but since lots of people asked me about how to get files from their box to their HDD, I'll just teach you how to do it using SFTP.
On uTorrent, go to preferences and on the side tree, go to Advanced >> WebUI - tick Enable Web Interface and also, put your desired username and password for the webUI.
I also recommend putting an alternative port (8080 is fine).
Now, use your FTP client and login to your server. Put SFTP as the mode, put in the hostname/IP and port should be the default 22.
Boom! You should see all the files in your server now.
Browse to /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/Application Data/uTorrent/
Get WebUI (http://download.utorrent.com/beta/webui_v0.310_beta_2.rar) and extract webui.zip. Now, transfer webui.zip to the directory that I specified above (through SFTP of course). Btw, you usually just to drag and drop the file.
Voila! WebUI is installed.:yahoo:

But, where is it, where's the WebUI?
Go to http://hostname:port/gui/ (http://hostname/gui/) with your browser and login with your chosen username and password.
For example: http://vpsxxx.leeware.com:8080/gui/

More Frequently Asked Questions

Will uTorrent still run if I close VNC and Putty?
Yeah, it will still run. VNC and Putty is just to control your server.

How do I add torrents to the WebUI?
Well, that's simple - just press the (+) button on the WebUI. :) Alternatively, you might want to get this firefox extension (http://thinkpond.org/content/view/13/32/) so you can just drag and drop links from torrent sites.

Yeah, so I get all this. But how do I download stuff from the box to my server?
Use FTP. When you installed the WebUI, you're basically uploading webui.zip on to the server. Here, you do the reverse (Yeah, you can drag and drop).

GRRR! I'm getting slow speeds! What do I do? NEW!
If you used the speed guide on uTorrent and set it to xxx/100mbps, you should be getting the maximum speeds out of your leeware. You have to also remember that speeds depend on the torrent as well (I suggest you check peers list to see others' speeds). Other than that, I HAVE NO CLUE ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE SPEED (please don't PM me about this). Live with it, or if you're getting ridiculously low speeds then email lee.

OMG, Where does uTorrent save the files?
Wherever you set it to in Preferences. The default is /root/. (There's nothing wrong with the default directory btw, you don't need to change it.)

Sh*t, my server just crashed and WebUI ain't running anymore, what do I do?
Well, it's a simple process. Just login to your server using Putty. Type vncserver :1 to run VNC server again. Login to the VNC server using VNC viewer, and run uTorrent from the terminal - wine utorrent.exe. Now, everything should be fine. (For people who are more 1337 with Linux, if you want you can edit the VNC start up file (on ~/.vnc/ to run uTorrent automatically when VNC starts to make life easier).

How do I run Firefox and do other stuff on the server?
This guide is only for installing uTorrent and plus, on a Leeware, there's really no point installing Firefox and other applications because it's so slow (you get what you pay for).

What!!!?? There are no screenshots!!!
Yeah, not at the moment. I might add some later on.

Will you be making a guide for installing TorrentFlux, rTorrent, and etc?
No, IMO uTorrent is highly superior to the other clients. The WebUI is sexy ;)

I tried this on a Leaseweb Express server but it doesn't work.
Yeah, leaseweb servers doesn't have SFTP. The installation process is a bit more complicated. First, you need to add a repository (like RPMForge (http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge)) which contains: xterm, wine, vnc-server and etc. You also need to install fonts (msttcorefonts) and you'd need to install WebUI by using wget and unrar (not built-in you need to install this as well). You might also want to install an FTP server (proftpd), you would also need to configure it after it's installed.

I read all of this, but I'm still stuck...
I am afraid you're just too much of a n00b to use a Linux Server - get Windows!!

LOL Just joking, you can PM me (with your AIM/MSN/YAHOO, etc. preferably), and I'll see what I can do.

P.S. This guide might contain some errors - so feel free to comment and give feedback.

-------------------------------

Thanks for reading :D
This is another great post.

saldasyl
06-10-2007, 05:09 PM
nice tutorial . one problem though. i got utorrent running in vnc viewer and added a few torrents as well , but its been one day and its not connecting to any peers. i checked its says port forwarded correctly. my isp is a2b2 .
any ideas?

ChelseaManiac
06-17-2007, 09:46 AM
on fedora 5 I cant access the vnc, i always get connection refused or authenication failed

atozzotas
06-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Any idea on how to do something similar with CentOS?

.Vertigo
06-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Just set this up, works fine on some trackers, not on others. i often get "HTTP error 403" on some trackers, eg. indietorrents.

Anyone else get this? anyway to fix it?

redMonster
06-22-2007, 04:41 AM
AFAIK, error 403 happens when the tracker has banned your IP range.

BawA
06-22-2007, 05:44 AM
this may not be the right thread but i have one question, most of trackers dont allow account sharing and downloading through the seedbox means different IP, isn't?

Power75
06-23-2007, 01:54 AM
this may not be the right thread but i have one question, most of trackers dont allow account sharing and downloading through the seedbox means different IP, isn't?

You should check the faqs of each site. If the site uses passkey, I think they will usually allow you to seed from multiple ips, so a seedbox can be used. If it doesn't use a passkey, then the tracker will most likely used your ip to track you so a seedbox cant be used there unless you access the tracker using the seedbox.

.Vertigo
06-23-2007, 10:13 AM
AFAIK, error 403 happens when the tracker has banned your IP range.

yes, it was. i pm'd a member of staff on indietorrents, and they lifted the ban just for my static ip.

rapesauce10
06-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Setup perfectly within 10 minutes, great guide.

uneasyrider
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM

You should check the faqs of each site. If the site uses passkey, I think they will usually allow you to seed from multiple ips, so a seedbox can be used. If it doesn't use a passkey, then the tracker will most likely used your ip to track you so a seedbox cant be used there unless you access the tracker using the seedbox.
FCZ is a good example of this. You can only seed & browse simultaneously from 1 IP. The only way to circumvent this is to either browse & download the torrent from the seedbox (which is almost impossible with Lee)... or browse, download the torrent file, and add it through webgui. If you browse from another IP while the torrent is still active though, it will immediately stop the torrent.

elmabits
06-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I have got a lot of doubts. May I apply this to all of them. Could you make a list of thos i ca use(seedbox).

if i use seedbox i can lost my account ?

thewash
06-26-2007, 07:12 PM
When I first read this guide it could have been in another language for the sense it made to me. I'm a complete newb to this. But now I'm up and running and its all thanks to this guide.
Many thanks Buggyme You're a star :thumbsup:

remoo1901
06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
thx ,,,,

weenden
06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
what is ftp client doooh!

rapesauce10
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
I need help setting up my Leeware to do FXP. Any help is highly appreciated.

weenden
06-27-2007, 08:19 PM
figured it out

uneasyrider
06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
FXP doesn't work (doesn't support SFTP). I reccomend CuteFTP or WS_FTP

rapesauce10
06-29-2007, 06:17 AM
FXP doesn't work (doesn't support SFTP). I reccomend CuteFTP or WS_FTP

There's always a workaround.

rko89
06-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Do not get centos. It is a pain.

weenden
06-30-2007, 10:24 PM
thx buggyne for the walk through even i figured out

leoware
07-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Torrentflux can not seed partial file ?

copperhead
07-01-2007, 12:04 PM
[root@*** sysconfig]# vncserver :1
vncserver: couldn't find "xauth" on your PATH.

i m gettin this error :(

im using fedora core 4 on vectoral

salambin
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
hi,
i have some question about Leeware:
1-what is average speed when you download?
2-it just use linux ?

thanks

leoware
07-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Torrentflux can not seed partial file ?

up

pedroclaro
07-05-2007, 02:04 PM
i´m seedind a file to 3 leechers, i´m the only seeder, and i can only get 15kb of upload =/

is there any utorrent config to change this?

SIGMA-ZERO
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Good job

0tis
07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
what kind of speeds do most people get ftping from their leeware seedbox to thier own computer. just curious. and if it's slow than what do most people do to get the files on the seedbox and at home? do they download it twice with utorrent, once to the seedbox and once at home? and if that's the case can you get banned running them both at the same time from the same tracker?

i don't have a seedbox but i was considering getting one and i am curious how you would do it if you download a movie or something and wanted to have it at both places.

Gtb
07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
what kind of speeds do most people get ftping from their leeware seedbox to thier own computer. just curious. and if it's slow than what do most people do to get the files on the seedbox and at home? do they download it twice with utorrent, once to the seedbox and once at home? and if that's the case can you get banned running them both at the same time from the same tracker?

i don't have a seedbox but i was considering getting one and i am curious how you would do it if you download a movie or something and wanted to have it at both places.

What i did with my leeware was to create a new torrent, download it with FTP to my PC, and download it! Much better than SFTP that i only got 25 kB/sec on a 2 Mbit connection at home.

chairman88
07-06-2007, 02:22 AM
What i did with my leeware was to create a new torrent, download it with FTP to my PC, and download it! Much better than SFTP that i only got 25 kB/sec on a 2 Mbit connection at home.How do you create a new torrent on leeware and do you have to use another FTP account to download it? Sure would appreciate it if you can share & provide instructions on how to do it? Thanks.

Actor
07-07-2007, 05:25 AM
Can someone please tell me how I can find out how much harddrive space I have left:)?

stathis
07-07-2007, 05:56 AM
connect through putty and type the following command.

df -h

That's: df(space)(minus)h

alkonik
07-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Thank you for this guide. It helped me set up leeware.

Now, sorry if this is offtopic, will this guide work with any fedora os, for example:
- Fedora 4 from Vectoral, or
- Fedora 4, 5 and their x86_64 variants from Layered Tech?

I guess to rephrase the question, has anyone tried using this guide for Vectoral or Layered Tech successfully?

Thanks.

Actor
07-07-2007, 01:07 PM
connect through putty and type the following command.

df -h

That's: df(space)(minus)h

Thanks heaps dude:).

dano24
07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
im having mayjor trouble i have tried to install utoprrent on my server and im just at a complete lost.
i have a leaseweb dedicated server freebsd installed on a unix system.
can anyone help me getting this set up? iv been trying to figure this out for the past 2months now(paid 2 months of server) and wasting money here due to i still havent got this set up. realy could do with some help

nodigity
07-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks! Great tutorial, works like a charm

dano24
07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
ok i decided to get leeseware server and all is up and running. now im trying to install the webui but im havning trouble getting into my server via my ftp how do i set SFTP as the mode?? i have flasFXP

0tis
07-08-2007, 12:24 AM
ok i decided to get leeseware server and all is up and running. now im trying to install the webui but im havning trouble getting into my server via my ftp how do i set SFTP as the mode?? i have flasFXP

i think people were saying flashfxp doesn't have SFTP check previous posts in this thread. cuteftp works good.

dano24
07-08-2007, 02:42 AM
ok thats all done got webui uploaded but for some reason i cannot view it

when i put my url in i get error file cannot be found

Itachi_Avenger
07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
u have a problem
im stucked at 16.I cant connect with my tight vnc.Any help???

BawA
07-08-2007, 02:40 PM
anybody knows how to start downloading form tl using this setting
what i do is add the download URL and everything adds fine but i get wrong torrent pass when downloading.
on SCT i get no problem.
and one thing more if i start my torrent from webUi where the file get saved?

nodigity
07-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Can someone explain to me how to setup the leeware box so that I can download stuff with ftp? (instead of sftp) Its so that I can download stuff from the box to my computer in work and get better speeds(sftp is sloooow)
TIA

dano24
07-08-2007, 09:39 PM
you will need to install ftp on your server...

ok buggyme thats a great tut you did there i got myself a leeware server and i installed utorrent like a charm and its all working so i thankyou alot of that great tut and it all makes sense..
And you are right webui is sexy :-)
Reasons why i couldnt understand the tut is cos i was trying to install utorrent on my leaseweb server and its very deficult so if you could help me with that id be greatfull

where the file get saved?

login to your server via sftp and look in the / directory thats where the files get saved.
or look in the /root directory

nodigity
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
you will need to install ftp on your server...

...Thanks for telling me what I already know.:frusty: Maybe I should rephrase. I'm looking for instructions/a tutorial on how to install an ftp server onto the leeware box.

Also can anyone recommend any good ftp servers?

BawA
07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
why the hell downloading my stuff on server via ftp is so slow.
i get 50Kb sometimes 30KB from my 120Kb line.

nodigity
07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm having the same problem because I'm using sftp. Its slower because the server has to encrypt the information before it sends it. Regular ftp should be faster and max out your connection. By default leeware servers come with sftp installed (not ftp). I'm trying to find out how to install ftp on leeware but its hard for someone who knows very little about linux

BawA
07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
if you do find then please let me know, ive sent an email to their support regarding this as well

SIGMA-ZERO
07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
thnx m8

BawA
07-10-2007, 02:09 AM
ok i found out whats causing slow speed while downloading via ftp... its default number of transfer per site, by default its set for 4 connection and some how they are set for 10kb download speed if you change the number of connection the speed will max out.
i set to 10, its only useful if your downloading multiple rar file.

Actor
07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
For some reason my upload speed is really slow while I am leeching the file but once it has completed and I am seeding it picks up speed. Does anyone know how to fix this:unsure:?

BawA
07-10-2007, 01:02 PM
you get a total BW not single for each.
100MIB

ok i found out whats causing slow speed while downloading via ftp... its default number of transfer per site, by default its set for 4 connection and some how they are set for 10kb download speed if you change the number of connection the speed will max out.
i set to 10, its only useful if your downloading multiple rar file.

it turned out that wont work all the time but there is another way..
you log into your webmin and goto other\upload and download,
at the end of the page its says "download from server to pc", you browse to folder where the downloaded file are saved and download them.

jaggizle
07-10-2007, 08:53 PM
i get an error when i try to do the first step in PuTTy

Config Error: Error accessing file for config file:///etc/yum.conf

can someone help me? thanks in advance

BawA
07-11-2007, 02:39 AM
please can somebody tell me how to re-run utorrent?

0tis
07-11-2007, 03:01 AM
open up vnc viewer
type wine utorrent.exe

or if you shutdown then open putty login and start with number 13 from buggyme's instructions

BawA
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
ok how to maximize utorrent screen on VNC ?

wmumascot
07-12-2007, 01:02 AM
:pinch: I followed the directions provided in the guide, and I still am having troubles :cry:.

If someone who knows what they are doing could MSN me at wmumascot I would really appreciate the help :yup:

G-Force
07-12-2007, 04:06 AM
i have every thing working well, but i have fire fox open and cant close it because i cant see the X in the corner or my file menu, it seems to be off the screen and i cant scroll up any further to get it?

So my screen basically looks like this:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6394/screenwq3.th.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenwq3.jpg)

Buggyme
07-12-2007, 06:25 AM
-_- You need a window manager like TWM.

G-Force
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
-_- You need a window manager like TWM.

How do i install that?

weenden
07-15-2007, 01:30 PM
i accidentlly hit open container folder on utorrent and these boxes opened cant shut or get anything to run utorrent from them up and i cant get the utorrent screen to show again anyone no how thx much if you can this what i have now http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/weenden/server-1.jpg

stathis
07-15-2007, 01:37 PM
close VNC and open putty. Login as root and type:

vncserver -kill :1

After you will get the confirmation that the process was killed, type:

vncserver :1

And login on VNC once more and from the console start utorrent using wine.

weenden
07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
thanks you stathis you are a smarter than i worked like a charm.....also buggyme how do add twm to the server i found the site but no help there adding it to leeware at least not that i saw

dano24
07-15-2007, 02:26 PM
i still carnt seem to install this on my freeBESD leaseweb server. can anyone help?

stathis
07-15-2007, 02:55 PM
I installed KDE desktop and it works like a charm.

Close VNC.

Open putty and login as root.

type: yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

This will install the packages needed for KDE. For leeware, have in mind that it will use a bit of space so it's up to you guys if you want to proceed with it.
It might also take some time to download and install the packages so grab a coffee and wait.

OK after you install the packages go to:

/etc/sysconfig/

If you are not familiar with linux please follow the instructions EXACTLY as i give them to you.

type: vi desktop
press: a
type: DESKTOP="KDE" (If there exists another desktop entry, you probably have another desktop installed and you don't need to do this anyway)
press: ENTER (The enter key on your keyboard)
type: DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
press: ESC (The escape key on your keyboard)
type: :wq! (That's colon w q exclamation mark)
press: ENTER (The enter key on your keyboard)

That's it. If you did everything ok, KDE is your default desktop now and when you re-open VNC you will have a nice desktop to work with.