PDA

View Full Version : Orange Broadband Blocks Torrents?

webgirly
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about orange broadband?

I've just set up in my new place on my laptop (it's got vista premium if that's at all relevant also) and I just can't seem to get my torrents to download.. they just sit there, apparently connected but with nothing happening.

I've tried via opera's built in torrent downloader and via bitlord, both have the same result.

I'm wondering if orange broadband have some sort of block on these downloads, does anyone know (I'm in the UK btw).

I've also been thinking about signing up with a newsgroup instead, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some advice, i.e. would this solve my problem, what sort of media do they provide (i want movies, music and tv, like most of us i guess), how much are the subscriptions generally, where do I find them, and which would you recommend, that sort of thing really.

I know it's an awfully demanding first post, I'm out of ideas sadly.

Thanks all :)

Melvinmeow
04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Have you tried using a client with encryption??

Also to find out more info about your isp you can ussually find threads posted via users here... http://www.broadbandreports.com/

As far as newsgroups...
They ussually provide files from most cats you can think of.
Theres a few good ones to chose from listed on the home page here.
Youll also see some advertised in the advertisements section on the site.

webgirly
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
That's great, thanks, I'll check that out, see if anyone else is having similar problems with orange.

Since the first part left me with a question mark over my head, I'm pretty sure the answer is now, I've not tried using a client with encryption, ;)

Melvinmeow
04-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Some ISPs that dont like users doing p2p block the clients from working. On most of these isps if you turn the encryption on they cant detect what your doing. A few have started being able to detect and stop you from using torrents even with encryption on... but not many are that advanced yet. Just a few. I have never even heard of orange before so dont even want to take a guess as to if they do or not. GL with figuring it out.

webgirly
04-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Ah right okay, I follow ya.

I can't see much on bitlord for encryption... ip filter and enabled ICH whatever that means... there's nothing else that i can see that might be useful... I'm not sure opera will have that facility either... do you know of any clients that do?

Melvinmeow
04-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Utorrent and AZ are the ones I would recomment. Both have encryption. Im not sure if any others do. I ussually stick to utorrent myself.

dodgy368
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about orange broadband?

I've just set up in my new place on my laptop (it's got vista premium if that's at all relevant also) and I just can't seem to get my torrents to download.. they just sit there, apparently connected but with nothing happening.

I've tried via opera's built in torrent downloader and via bitlord, both have the same result.

I'm wondering if orange broadband have some sort of block on these downloads, does anyone know (I'm in the UK btw).

I've also been thinking about signing up with a newsgroup instead, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some advice, i.e. would this solve my problem, what sort of media do they provide (i want movies, music and tv, like most of us i guess), how much are the subscriptions generally, where do I find them, and which would you recommend, that sort of thing really.

I know it's an awfully demanding first post, I'm out of ideas sadly.

Thanks all :)

Did you get a LiveBox?

If so, you need to forward ports in it.

webgirly
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
yes i did indeed...

the second line i'm not so sure of... do i do that in the configuration pages of the livebox?

dodgy368
04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
yes i did indeed...

the second line i'm not so sure of... do i do that in the configuration pages of the livebox?

Full instructions at portforward.com(think this is the right one)
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Inventel/Livebox/BarracudaDrive.htm

gamer4eva
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
As far as i know they have a fair usage policy which states that bittorrent traffic will be banned at peak hours.

webgirly
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
That's ace, thanks for all your help guys, i've got it working with a combo of everything. Although i forgot how wicked slow this is, might look into subbing to a newsgroup, hmmmm

Thanks again! :)

SHUVT
04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
I would switch over to Utorrent and as long as your ports are forwarded correctly, you should not have any problems. I have a some tweaked settings for Utorrent if you need help just shoot me a pm and I will forward them to ya.

dodgy368
04-02-2007, 07:14 PM
That's ace, thanks for all your help guys, i've got it working with a combo of everything. Although i forgot how wicked slow this is, might look into subbing to a newsgroup, hmmmm

Thanks again! :)

Glad you're sorted, as for your speed, are you using public or private torrent sites?

webgirly
04-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Ah! Is that likely to work better than bitlord?

I'm using public torrents, I'd never know where to find the private ones.. iso hunt, that sort of thing

That would be ace! i'll go over and download that tonight

dodgy368
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Private sites are the way to go, stick around on here and I guarantee you'll get invited quite soon, think I've got a spare TL(fastest site on the net some say) invite lying around.;)

ps, you can get into the invite section once you've been here a month, well worth waiting for.

webgirly
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
oooooh underground downloading? it's a whole new word i'd never known of... well okay, had suspected but never seen, hee hee

Cheers!

Melvinmeow
04-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I would switch over to Utorrent and as long as your ports are forwarded correctly, you should not have any problems. I have a some tweaked settings for Utorrent if you need help just shoot me a pm and I will forward them to ya.

You ever considered posting these tweeks in the forums?

Im sure alot of users wouldnt mind reading up on em.

SHUVT
04-02-2007, 10:22 PM

You ever considered posting these tweeks in the forums?

Im sure alot of users wouldnt mind reading up on em.

I may run them by you first to see if they have any negative affect on trackers, by over announcing or anything like that. I will send them your way in PM and let me know if you see anything that would bog sites down. I doubt it, but you guys may know something I don't.

webgirly
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I've actually started on the whole newgroups thing, since i've heard such good things about it.. but i think i've gone and signed up with a rubbish provider since I can't find much there, and stuff i've tried to access from binsearch won't download, (don't think i can add the server). I've signed up with thundernews.com

i had wanted to sign with newsggroups but they don't take uk debit cards and they cant accept paypal anymore. that's basically why i went with thundernews as it could take my payment.... so far, have found nothing good tho. is the co you choose to sign up with that critical or am i just doing this wrong?

dodgy368
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I've actually started on the whole newgroups thing, since i've heard such good things about it.. but i think i've gone and signed up with a rubbish provider since I can't find much there, and stuff i've tried to access from binsearch won't download, (don't think i can add the server). I've signed up with thundernews.com

i had wanted to sign with newsggroups but they don't take uk debit cards and they cant accept paypal anymore. that's basically why i went with thundernews as it could take my payment.... so far, have found nothing good tho. is the co you choose to sign up with that critical or am i just doing this wrong?

Best to ask in the Newsgroups section. ;)

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-newsgroups-79/

webgirly
04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
hee hee, yeah that thought occured to me a bit after posting, doh! try the right forum!

Cheers tho