PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Media Center

deep2k
04-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Has anyone heard or know how to use a ps2 as a media center? I have done some google searches for this and there is some software that never made it out that will turn a ps2 into a media center of sorts. I have a modded ps2 that sits in the corner and collects dust. I would like to use it once again to stream the movies from my pc to the living room. Is this possible?

3RA1N1AC
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
you're probably thinking of the gameshark media player for ps2: http://www.gameshark.com/?s=722_ff8691ea-5a97-4172-88cb-4975a8247f&a=products&id=134

it was originally created and sold by a different company called qcast, then gameshark bought it from that company and renamed it. i have never used it personally, since i already had a divx-compatible dvd player and a modded xbox by the time this product was released. i remember best buy clearanced it for about $10 not long after it came out, so i don't reckon it was very popular.

here's a google search with the program's proper name, to help you find reviews/opinions about it: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22gameshark+media+player%22+ps2

before spending any money on this, my main concern would be: since it is a ROM disc (non-rewritable), it cannot be updated with newer codec versions... so it might have compatibility problems with video files that were created with versions of divx/xvid/etc that are newer than the gameshark disc (which is already a couple years old). so... you'd prolly be able to get SOME use out of it, but i doubt it would be able to play as many different files as a PC or a modded xbox can.

deep2k
04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
That might work but this is what I found by a company called broadq and qtv

http://www.broadq.com/features.php

I've been looking everywhere for this with no luck

namzuf9
04-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Try googling for PS2 reality. It was a project developed a few years ago for playing DivX (and XviD if you set the 4cc as DX50) mp3/ogg and .jpg files on your PS2. I know the project was dropped a few years back but the last release (1.50 I think) worked quite well.

If you were looking for a fully featured media player then I'd consider picking up a cheap xbox and installing XBMC which is absolutely fantastic and will play almost every media format out there.

deep2k
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I have a modded xbox also which works great. I am just trying to find another use for the old ps2 thats not getting used.

3RA1N1AC
04-04-2007, 03:47 AM
That might work but this is what I found by a company called broadq and qtv

http://www.broadq.com/features.php

I've been looking everywhere for this with no luck

yeah that's the company i meant. whatever the name of the program was (qcast, qtv)... the company was called broadq. they sold their ps2 media program to gameshark, so the gameshark version might be easier to find. it is the same program, only with a different name on it.

Gnash
04-05-2007, 03:08 AM
I have a modded xbox also which works great. I am just trying to find another use for the old ps2 thats not getting used.
you could always give it to someone who bought a ps3 and cant play any burned games, know anyone like that?

colt45joe
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM

modded xbox? then just use XBMC! and if you already are using it..then forget using ps2 as media center type thing, it just runs really shitty.

deep2k
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
you could always give it to someone who bought a ps3 and cant play any burned games, know anyone like that?

I'll trade ya for your PS3
lol

silent h3ro
04-05-2007, 11:45 PM

I'll trade ya for your PS3
lolHey man, you could just give it to me free of charge, lol. Seriously though, aren't you interested in games like God of War I and II or GT3 or 4? Then you could put your PS2 to good use for at least a few more weeks.

Melchior00
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Yep, If you have a Xbox, then forget the media center on PS2.. Just put XBMC as your dashboard.. That true way to use the Xbox.

silent h3ro
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Yep, my Xbox is officially my SeXbox on my 32 inch HDTV with XBMC. :)

Gnash
04-08-2007, 12:29 AM
i still think you should give me your ps2