PDA

View Full Version : Usenet-News or Usenetserver??

Baldrick82
04-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Just want to get some peoples opinions on which of these two I should go for??

At the min I'm trying out Usenet-News connected to the EU server (I live in the UK) and find it works very well with my connection nearly maxed out all the time.

Thing is I'm being a bit tight, Usenet-News comes out at £10month while Usenetserver is only £7.51month.

I can not see on the Usenetserver site anything about EU servers so was wondering if anyone here is using them in EU and what do they think?
Also from reading the blurb about the power outage it sounds like they only have the one server, is that correct?

Thanks in advance :)

kayvanblue
04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
i max out with Usenetserver! i should say they are awsome

St0ry
04-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I'd go with Usenetserver too. I've heard many people living ins Europe and Asia using UNS and maxing out their connections. You can always try their 3 days for $3 thing to see for yourself.

popopot
04-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I use Usenet-News and have had no problem. Maxed out connections all the time. Plus, you can buy a block account, e.g. 20GB for $10 (or something like that), which I have found very useful whilst getting to grips with newsgroups, and the 'block' does not expire.

0ctane
04-04-2007, 10:59 PM
usenet server the best fast max my line out on 8mbit and get 840 constant :)

Beck38
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I use Usenet-News and have had no problem. Maxed out connections all the time. Plus, you can buy a block account, e.g. 20GB for $10 (or something like that), which I have found very useful whilst getting to grips with newsgroups, and the 'block' does not expire.

The block accounts are about probably the only real difference, except that Usenetserver is playing the 'encryption' game, but if you're using a machine 'at work' and/or need to punch through some firewalls or other junk, it may be the choice. But I have a 'never expires' block account at Usenet-News (as well as a couple of other servers) that I used for fills before I bit the bullet and went with Giganews.

popopot
04-04-2007, 11:20 PM

..except that Usenetserver is playing the 'encryption' game, but if you're using a machine 'at work' and/or need to punch through some firewalls or other junk, it may be the choice. But I have a 'never expires' block account at Usenet-News (as well as a couple of other servers) that I used for fills before I bit the bullet and went with Giganews.

Usenet-News also has SSL, which works well and does not slow down my speeds.

stephenchow
04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Usenet-News.

Never heard of it.
Anyone knows website of Usenet-News? I can't find it with Google.
Thanks

asfdlq3i45poi
04-05-2007, 01:05 AM
It really depends on your downloading habits. If you download infrequently, then a block acount like Usenet News makes sense.

On the other hand, if you regularly download hundreds of gigabytes per month, an unlimited account like UNS is the obvious choice.

The block accounts are about probably the only real difference, except that Usenetserver is playing the 'encryption' game, but if you're using a machine 'at work' and/or need to punch through some firewalls or other junk, it may be the choice. But I have a 'never expires' block account at Usenet-News (as well as a couple of other servers) that I used for fills before I bit the bullet and went with Giganews.

What's a fill?

Baldrick82
04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the info guys :)

@ [/URL]stephenchow [URL]http://www.usenet-news.net/ (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/stephenchow-145742)

Think that I'll do as st0ry suggested and try the 3 day trial for UNS first :)

I hear people talking a lot about giganews, its it really that much better then the others?? UNS appears to offer unlimited download, 10 connections, 101 retention and SSL for about $10 less a month than giganews.

MultiForce
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the info guys :)

@ [/URL]stephenchow [URL]http://www.usenet-news.net/ (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/stephenchow-145742)

Think that I'll do as st0ry suggested and try the 3 day trial for UNS first :)

I hear people talking a lot about giganews, its it really that much better then the others?? UNS appears to offer unlimited download, 10 connections, 101 retention and SSL for about $10 less a month than giganews.

A lot of people use UNS so I guess they are as good as Giganews. I use Giganews just because of their support and because I'm too lazy to change :P

superfuzzy
04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I bought a 10GB block of usenet-news, and so far so good! I did some research and for light usage nothing was better. The only down side is 70 days retention. This is acceptable, but Giganews and a few others have better.

I just went to check my usage at their site, logged in and found they have SSL - will try that tonight!
Another poster also mentioned in this thread.

Windy72
04-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Sound advice from all really. I use usenet-news after two months I have only used 7 gig of my 300 gig account mainly because of the free easynews NL server. I download quite a lot but not enough to make paying for the monthly accounts worthwhile. Good quality block accounts for me. More NSP's should offer this along with good monthly accounts. Why don't they?:frusty:

Beck38
04-06-2007, 03:27 AM
What's a fill?

In 'ye olden days' (i.e. say 5+ years ago), there were only a couple of semi-fair stand-alone (non-isp) usenet servers, and they were expensive (including Giganews). Most isp servers had a retention rate of around a handfull of days, if that, especially when it came to 4-8GB dvd files, even audioCD files had a half-life of maybe a week. One had to be really on their toes to grap things, and so having a 'fills' server to plug the missing parts was pretty much required.

Of course, that's when a 20GB HD ran close to $500+; and transfer speeds averaged in the sub1Mb/s range for around $50+/month. Same bucks today gets you close to 2TB and 10Mb/s+. And server retention is at least 90+ days and rising. But most isp servers are still junk, but the commercial outfits run a fair competition with each other.

Good quality block accounts for me. More NSP's should offer this along with good monthly accounts. Why don't they?:frusty:

It's kind of fallen out of favor, from an accounting standpoint it was more trouble than it was worth, with noobs screaming all the time they wanted their money back, ect. Go to the Faqs of those that do, and it goes on and on about how they won't refund on block accounts.

I've thought about dropping my GN account and going blocks only every now and again, simply because I do ton's of recodes myself, there are decent dvd-by-mail systems (Netflix and Blockbuster), and I find that most of what I get are dvd9's anyways (except for those that are non-recoded dvd5's). At some point things get a bit rediculous, once you've filled all your 'must gets' down to 'maybe gets', and the new stuff coming out isn't all that great, things slow down. Same thing happend with CD's; I get nothing but 'lossless' and code to mp3 when/if I want to (mostly for the car player). Last time I actually spent real money for burnable CD's, I can't remember; I still have 4-500+ of 24x maxells I got for 'free' with rebates.

The cost analysis has all changed radically. I've done tons of episodic dvd's and was going to start up a couple new series recently, but found that the cost for NEW on ebay was LESS than the cost of blanks and all the hassels of 'burning my own'. Good DVD9's (Verbatims) are still around $1.50 if you watch the sales, good for use on stuff that is still not dropping, for the 'good stuff'. But if you'll notice, lots of the recent episodic DVD's (Rome, Soprano's, ect.) are putting only enough episodes at HIGH bit rates that the only way to keep from recoding is to put each episode on a DVD5. Kinda rediculous. Nice quality though. But enough to look at buying the commercial discs IF the price is right; and sometimes it is.

sm00nie
04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I also tried the $3 trial at uns first to test my connection speeds and I was satisfied at reaching my max connection speed (6mbit = 750kb/s). So far its been a few weeks and I'm still reaching my max speeds. Very happy with them so far :).

zot
04-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Baldrick82 - you did not mention which Usenet-news account you have, but I assume you bought the unlimited monthly?

Usenet-news is an excellent provider of non-expiring blocks, with among the lowest prices and largest selection, but their recently-added unlimited monthly service at $19/month is not the cheapest. Ngroups.net is owned and run by the same people as Usenet-News, as well as both resellers of Highwinds-Media service, but Ngroups prices its unlimited at $15/month. Unlike Usenet-News, Ngroups does not offer SSL access.

For unlimited service, UNS is probably the best deal for the money right now - 101 day retention + SSL for $15/mo unlimited. But be aware that their quality has reportedly not been perfect recently. UNS runs its own server farm.

I have not used UNS, so I can't comment on their service from experience. I will say that for the two best-known block account providers - Usenet-News and Astraweb - Usenet-News has much better tech support, as it's 24/7 and always fast replies; Astraweb's tech guys, although quite competent, don't answer emails on evenings, weekends, or holidays.

Good quality block accounts for me. More NSP's should offer this along with good monthly accounts. Why don't they?

I suspect that they would rather have users paying each and every month - instead of paying one time for a non-expiring block and then nursing on it for the rest of the year. Maybe that's why Giganews dropped its block account offering.

Monthly accounts were offered by NSPs first, and anyway most companies (in any industry) tend to simply copy their competitors. For a long time, Astraweb was about the only usenet provider to buck the trend by offering any cheaply-priced non-expiring block accounts - and they built their business on it.

It was once common for many usenet pay-providers (particularly the many resellers) to charge according to the bandwidth being throttled. Many services still price their accounts this way, but it seems that few users today are interested in being throttled. Resellers, of course, generally pay for their service monthly on a per-connection/per bandwidth basis, so it was probably easier for them to craft customer accounts similarly. (or what's known as "cash flow": Since they are having to pay their back-end provider each month regardless of usage, they want to have their customers do the same with them.)

knight76
04-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm using UNS. I max out my connection and haven't had any issues with them yet.