PDA

View Full Version : Cant play media files

jonesad24
04-04-2007, 08:13 AM
hi guys, I seem to be having trouble playing movies on my PC, whenever I click on an AVI file i get an error message saying windows explorer needs to close and my system will crash.

I have tried running software for virus's etc but nothing helps.

Any ideas how I can get round this?

Cheers guys. :)

S!X
04-04-2007, 08:36 AM
This should be in the Software section, no worries though. It's more then likely a codec related issue.... Take a look at this thread (http://forums.techguy.org/apple-macintosh/339200-solved-cant-play-avi-file.html) and follow what the people suggested, if that doesn't work be sure to give us a shout and we'll be glad to help. :)

Appzalien
04-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Its almost always Xvid. Its either you don't have the codec installed or that the codec you have installed has become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.

Since Xvid videos come to you with the extention .avi just like most divx videos, you could not tell which was which unless you used something like GSpot to view the videos particulars. Which is a good idea anyway, GSpot can tell you alot about your videos. Like avoid vbr audio if you plan on converting your avi's back to dvd to avoid sync problems. Or, did you know that an avi made from a pal dvd (25frms) is still in pal format, and if you convert it to dvd without changing it, your dvd will be Pal.

fourier
04-05-2007, 06:59 AM
hi guys, I seem to be having trouble playing movies on my PC, whenever I click on an AVI file i get an error message saying windows explorer needs to close and my system will crash.

I have tried running software for virus's etc but nothing helps.

Any ideas how I can get round this?

Cheers guys. :)
Which app is linked with avi ? OS ?

pocketgirl
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.videolan.org/

Appzalien
04-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah! a new player will solve his error when he clicks on an avi. You go girl!

fourier
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh yeah! a new player will solve his error when he clicks on an avi. You go girl!
girl is right, though ...
VLC has "built-in" codecs , would be a dirty solution but it works :)

sanjana
04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I suggest you to please visit the http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm and download install the codec and try playing in the media player classic that is given by them and make the file open with it. It will fix the issue.

jonesad24
04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Cheers for the help guys, it's all sorted now. If anyone has the same problem this is what fixed mine...

1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) To remove image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
3) To readd image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
4) To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
5) To readd media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

Option 4 was the one I did and fingers crossed it seems to be ok.