PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Request

MagicNakor
06-01-2003, 07:03 AM
I need detailed information of the Russian Civil War. But not just any information. ;) I need detailed information on some of the battles. The three major ones, preferably. I don't have time to order in from Amazon; it takes about a month and a half to arrive here anyway. It was difficult enough to find information on the Red Army that wasn't just skin deep, and at this time I've not had much luck on the Civil War side of things. Wish I could read Russian. :D

I've already got the translated works of both Lenin and Trotsky, which generally prove invaluable. Very interesting read, if you've got a fair bit of time.

Anyhow, that's it for now. ;)

:ninja:

MagicNakor
06-01-2003, 07:54 PM
:lol: Guess not. Looks like I'll have to spend a few days digging up boxes in my basement.

clocker
06-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Sorry MN.

I did some googling right after you posted but didn't hit on much ( and I assumed you had already done the same.)

Couldn't even find any funny pictures.

Really didn't know enough about the subject to know of any intelligent searchwords.

Good luck.

hobbes
06-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Just curious, is this work related, school related, personal interest or are you writing a book?

MagicNakor
06-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah, there isn't much on the net. I'm attributing it to the combination Iron Curtain and Red Scare. ;)

It's personal interest related. I enjoy history very much, but, as I've said before, most of my knowledge is Renaissance and earlier.

OlderThanDirt
06-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Actually, this site (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/RUScivilwar.htm) appears overflowing with information ... but ... you have to follow mucho-multiple links to digest the whole history. Other than that, if you wanted to get a good "feel" for the war-years, check out Boris Pasternak's "Dr. Zhivago" from your local library ... or rent the movie.

OlderThanDirt
06-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Also, this web page (http://www.ex.ac.uk/Projects/meia/Trotsky/Archive/1918-Mil/) is a linkable table of contents to 38 chapters of writings by Leon Trotsky. That should give you a REAL comprehensive look at the Russian Civil War from one of the leaders who lived it.

MagicNakor
06-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks for looking OlderThanDirt, but I've already combed through both of those sites. :(

j2k4
06-02-2003, 04:30 PM
How about a trip to Russia?

Commit to a book (call it "A View From Somewhere Underneath A Merely In-depth View......), find a literary patron to expense the trip, and GO!

MagicNakor
06-02-2003, 11:33 PM
:lol: I would. But I don't speak Russian except for a few words, and I absolutely detest flying. I've found a number of books/sites that look informative, but, gosh darn, they're all in Russian. ;)

clocker
06-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Damned inconvenient, that.

MagicNakor
06-03-2003, 02:16 AM
I think that if I was to be given some wish, I'd wish to be perfectly fluent in every language ever concieved by man.

Money would flow in after that, because of my excellent translation skills. Who needs the Rosetta Stone? ;)

j2k4
06-03-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@2 June 2003 - 21:16
Who needs the Rosetta Stone? ;)

Anyone requiring a long-lasting key to the origins of language, that's who. ;)

MN-were you as old as the Rosetta, you would be much less useful. :lol:

I share your wish to be the ultimate multilingualist, though. :D

MagicNakor
06-03-2003, 06:08 AM
No no. See, if I knew them all, I could create multiple copies of all that knowledge. ;) The Rosetta Stone is fairly limited.

But it would be neat to finally get an accurate translation of those Mayan characters.

Who knows? Maybe the Egyptians wrote down their mummification formula. ;)

j2k4
06-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@3 June 2003 - 01:08
No no. See, if I knew them all, I could create multiple copies of all that knowledge. ;) The Rosetta Stone is fairly limited.

But it would be neat to finally get an accurate translation of those Mayan characters.

Who knows? Maybe the Egyptians wrote down their mummification formula. ;)

Ahhhh-

I knew I could count on you to come through, MN! :D :D :D B)

MagicNakor
06-03-2003, 06:26 AM
Glad to be of service. :D