PDA

View Full Version : This Question's Off Topic But I Need Help

MusicChick
06-01-2003, 07:48 AM
This question doesn't relate to Kazza lite but I need help on something. I want to download a RealPlayer file from the Mtv website.

I can't seem to find the internet address to download it from. How do I go about downloading it? Is there some specific program to use? I see videos from websites off of Kazza, so I know there's gotta be some way of getting it. Can anybody help? It would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Ynhockey
06-01-2003, 12:01 PM
The videos from sites on Kazaa are ripped (usually) or just downloaded in RM. To download in RM, right-click on the link (i assume you meant streaming video), then choose Save Target As, save it somewhere. Then open the file (should be below 5 KB) in notepad, and the URL for the real file should be there. Then just download the real file.

I hope that helped :)

Tyke
06-01-2003, 12:25 PM
that did help....I love places like this where you pick up odd tips here and there just by browsing round :D

Cozette
06-01-2003, 01:27 PM
I agree...it's great to be browsing along and find something that makes your day a happy one. ;)

Ynhockey, thank you! You wouldn't by any chance know how to nick those little flash media/java script type funny clips or games? I've found a bunch I've bookmarked that I like alot...I just worry they'll disappear someday. I'd rather think they'd look really nice in my PC for safe keeping. ;)

MusicChick
06-02-2003, 08:44 AM
I tried to click on the link and that didn't work. Sorry I didn't explain this earlier, but this is what I'm trying to do, on mtv.com, you can look up a band, then look up news, and etc. on them. On the side of the page it has video where you can click on it and see interviews and such. When you click on the link, the media browser pops up that plays the realplayer clip. I want to download that clip.

I right clicked on the link that pops the media player browser up, and it just saves that as a html file. I also right clicked on the spot on the realplayer where the video is, and all that says is preferences and statistics. The media browser that pops up is an Internet Explorer browser. There is no save target link anywhere to save the file. Is there any possible way to save a small realplayer clip, that doesn't have a link? I tried a download manager and that didn't seem to help any. I hope I made sense. I know it sounds confusing. Can someone help? :unsure:

Ynhockey
06-02-2003, 09:13 AM
@Cozette, yeah, you just to to View Source (on the page with the flash) and find the .swf in the source. Sometimes it's really easy, sometimes it's harder. Then you just download from the URL that's specified (if it's not a full path then you have to sorta guess it - example: http://www.madblast.com/view.cfm?type=FunF...sh&display=2297 (http://www.madblast.com/view.cfm?type=FunFlash&display=2297) has a flash about a 'beatiful world'. Now, go to view source. Now click 'find' - ctrl+f - and find a string '.swf' until you come across a file named .swf - in this case it's funflash/swf/beautiful_world.swf ; now, since funflash is obviously a folder in Madblast, the URL will be http://www.madblast.com/funflash/swf/beaut...iful_world.swf) (http://www.madblast.com/funflash/swf/beautiful_world.swf))

DONE :)

@MusicChick this one's a little harder, but also easy enough. When you start seeing the video, click View Source, then find the EMBED tag at the end, it should have an 'rm' string somewhere there. Then copy the string that's under SRC="..." (instead of the dots). Then open that URL (http://www.mtv.com/... where the dots are the URL you copied) in a new window/tab, then click view source again and somewhere there you should see 'video src="..."' or something - just copy the file URL and download it.

DONE :)

MusicChick
06-02-2003, 09:57 AM
I have no idea what I'm doing. I did what you said, at least I think I did. Do I look for the word Embed? I found the word embed twice. I'm really confused. And what all do I copy? Do I copy the word scr also? Sorry I'm having so much trouble. I appreciate your help. :)

Cozette
06-02-2003, 12:56 PM
@Cozette, yeah, you just to to View Source (on the page with the flash) and find the .swf in the source. Sometimes it's really easy, sometimes it's harder. Then you just download from the URL that's specified (if it's not a full path then you have to sorta guess it - example: http://www.madblast.com/view.cfm?type=FunF...sh&display=2297 has a flash about a 'beatiful world'. Now, go to view source. Now click 'find' - ctrl+f - and find a string '.swf' until you come across a file named .swf - in this case it's funflash/swf/beautiful_world.swf ; now, since funflash is obviously a folder in Madblast, the URL will be http://www.madblast.com/funflash/swf/beaut...iful_world.swf)

Hi again, my friend ;)
Okay...this is great. So far, so good. I've been able to "find" all the swf files in the sites I'm interested in. Heck, even in those I don't much like. So, I think I'm on the right track.
What I need to understand better is how exactly one "saves" these files?
For instance...I go here: http://www.stopesso.com/funstuff/nose.html
Pull the source and find: bush_stopesso.swf
then I suss out the folder and first try it with the complete: http://www.stopesso.com/bush_stopesso.swf
But it then says it cannot find the web page...on this one as well as on your example Beautiful World. How and where would one "save" it for download?
Please forgive me for being thickheaded here...but I really want to learn this stuff. ;) BTW, have I told you thanks? It really sweet you're trying to help. *hugs* Tish

Ynhockey
06-02-2003, 08:39 PM
@Cozette:
Well, you should only ignore the last page in the 1st URL, not the folder. So, in your case, it would be: http://www.stopesso.com/funstuff/bush_stopesso.swf
As for how to save it, you could use your browser but i wouldn't do that... i suggest you use a download manager. Any is good, but i personally prefer FlashGet, and GetRight is also ok. Earlier i wrote a longer explanation but it got lost by accident :(

@MusicChick:
Well, last time i replied, i went to www.mtv.com and picked a random clip. Yes, there were 2 EMBED tags but they both had the same source (the thing that is INSIDE the quotes in the src=" "). That's the thing you should copy. If you still experience problems, i'll write a more detailed explanation later, just that i'm a little frustrated about the reply i was gonna post that got lost by accident.

Hope that helped, good luck to both of you :) and np

iltc
06-03-2003, 12:33 AM
The easiest way to get the swf file is by using Flashback

Flashback (http://www.wekasoft.com/flashback/fbsetup.exe)

Flash files in web pages you have visited are stored in IE cache. Just press F3 or select search IE cache from right click menu of flashback to add them to Playlist.

:D

balamm
06-03-2003, 01:05 AM
If Nothing else works, you may be able to simply go to edit / select all/ copy on the page where the flash file or java applet is displayed. Paste it into FrontPage or MS Word and save as html complete or web page/complete. If you see a large plug icon before saving it as index.htm, then you have it and just need to edit out or delete the unwanted parts of the page. Then rename the index.htm to whatever you want and save that. Works great with that hellicopter game!

Ynhockey
06-03-2003, 02:35 AM
Flash files in web pages you have visited are stored in IE cache. Just press F3 or select search IE cache from right click menu of flashback to add them to Playlist.

Lol i've tried that too... doesn't work because, for some reason, some Flash movies are NOT stored in the cache. Still worth a try though... maybe you'll be lucky...

@Blamm, hmm, i still can't remember if i tried that... gotta do so, 'cause your solution seems a lot simpler than mine :)

MusicChick
06-03-2003, 05:23 AM
I think I finally found it! :lol: Ok this is what happened, I found the embed tag and copied it, then pasted it on my browser. My Realplayer popped up and played the video. I went to my browser and clicked on view source and It had a lot of strings on it.

I found the video src like you said, and copied it onto my browser. The page said "Forbidden-You don't have permission to access -"the url"- on this server." I'm guessing I found the correct page since it said this. Hopefully I did. I got the first step. So how do I get to the second step and download the video from the file url? I'm going to just go ahead and tell you the url that way I can know for sure which to download:

<video src="rtsp://a1021.v0029f.c29.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/1021/29/v001/mtvcomstor.download.akamai.com/8601/mtv/realmedia/g2/news/d/vid-news-deadsy-first_vid-mtv.rm" region="videoregion" regPoint="center" regAlign="center"></video>

I typed in from the mtvcomstor.download to the end of the string and that is what gave me the "Forbidden" page. I hope that was what I should type in.
Do I use a Download manager to download the actual video? I want to thank you for all the help you have given me. I have definitely learned alot. You deserve an award&#33; :D Sorry that you lost that post. If you have a long post this time you can email it to me. Thanks again&#33;

Ynhockey
06-03-2003, 10:16 AM
You almost got it :)

First of all, you need to copy what&#39;s inside the SRC, e.g. rtsp://a1021.v0029f.c29.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/1021/29/v001/mtvcomstor.download.akamai.com/8601/mtv/realmedia/g2/news/d/vid-news-deadsy-first_vid-mtv.rm in your case.

You can copy it into your browser, but i&#39;m not sure the browser supports this. I copied the link you gave but it tells me &#39;file not found&#39;. If you want to use a download manager, you&#39;ll need to get one that supports the RTSP, RTP, etc. protocols. I think the best one around is Streambox VCR Suite. In fact, it was intended for this purpose only. AFAIK, it&#39;s illegal so you can&#39;t download it from the average site... you&#39;ll need to search Kazaa. Good luck :)

Cozette
06-03-2003, 12:34 PM
*fling and hug* Thanks&#33;&#33;&#33; It worled&#33;&#33;&#33; I went and nicked the FlashBack and played around a bit with it. I have always avoided progs like GetRight because they were booby trapped...and I didn&#39;t want to buy it outright when my needs to use it were so few.
FlashBack will lets me fiddle with it before I buy it...so I&#39;ll research it more to see it black lists before I decide what I&#39;ll do. ;)
Like iltc, mentioned...it opened and I could find &#39;essostop&#39; in my IE cache...then just saved it. (btw, is it common for FB to sorta have eizures when you first open the saved file? It (the seizures) stopped when I paused the flash file and then it worked while paused, the same as the website file.)
Question...I also had success using balamm&#39;s technique of copy/pasting to FrontPage...and saving as an htm. My question is...this is MY file now, correct? It&#39;s in MY hard drive, meaning if they change out this flash file in the future and put in something different...MY copied file will always work, correct?
Thanks so much ya&#39;ll...you have been so patient and wonderful with me. This is just soooo exciting. I&#39;m offto visit Leo Getz booby traps to see about this FlashBack. *massive hugs* To all of you&#33; Coz

balamm
06-04-2003, 12:12 AM
If it&#39;s on your hard drive and when you open it it has a local filename in the explorer window instead of the web url, then it&#39;s yours :)

Ynhockey
06-04-2003, 03:19 AM
Btw, just wanted to mention that GetRight is free and FlashGet is shareware but it&#39;s fully functional and only displays a small message asking you to register.

And besides, this is a KLite board, we don&#39;t expect you to buy anything. That&#39;s what&#39;s so good about this forum - we don&#39;t care about legal stuff. So go ahead and download whatever software you need with a crack from KLite :)

Cozette
06-04-2003, 01:25 PM
*grin* Oh joy&#33; It&#39;s mine, it&#39;s mine. it&#39;s mine&#33; No external links what-so-ever. I just wasn&#39;t certain. Thank you soooo much, balamm. I&#39;ve a couple of tutorials I wasn&#39;t certain about either till now. I crossed checked them and see they really are mine now too. ;) Well, all the info without the images...but that&#39;s just fine.
I am tickled that FlashBack will only continue to "ask" me to register. I was down to 4 uses left. ;) I sorta thought it might just disable itself. I also nicked the GetRight. If all either of them are gonna do is just ask me nicely to register...well, I can live with that. ;)
I&#39;m still nervous about using a pirated serial on GetRight. I really hate going into my registry to "fix" the darn thing if I can avoid it. But if I can just use it on and on...that&#39;s perfect. ;) Hey, ya&#39;ll have been fantastic. I just can&#39;t thank you enough. *hugs* Take care. Coz

Wizzandabe
06-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@1 June 2003 - 12:01
The videos from sites on Kazaa are ripped (usually) or just downloaded in RM. To download in RM, right-click on the link (i assume you meant streaming video), then choose Save Target As, save it somewhere. Then open the file (should be below 5 KB) in notepad, and the URL for the real file should be there. Then just download the real file.

I hope that helped :)
that helped me, really, thansk for that. lol even it wasnet for me, thansk again.

Laura
06-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Cozette+8 June 2003 - 21:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cozette &#064; 8 June 2003 - 21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Laura@7 June 2003 - 14:07
I was trying to do everything I&#39;ve read in this thread but still couldn&#39;t download the file... there&#39;s 60 second lenght audio file. Please can anyone help? Is there I did something wrong?
*rubbing my hands together* Okay..here goes, Laura. First off...I&#39;m not sure what browser you&#39;re using. I just pulled up my MI Explorer...and went to your site. I then hit the play for the River Of Life (60sec) prelisten. After I hit the link, my Windows Media Player popped up...it started to play the song.
Now...if you go up to the Media Player you&#39;re using...there should be a tab called "file". If you pull the file menu open...there should be another option that says "save as". Go ahead and save it. It should show up in your folder as "wmwax[1].wax"...that&#39;s a Windows Media Audio shortcut. It&#39;ll play your song everytime you ask it too. ;)
You can also rename your song from that wmwax[1].wax to let&#39;s say River_of_Life.wax (leave the .wax). If I understand all that has been discussed in here...that file is now on your computer and yours. ;)
You probably already know this...but if you open you windows explorer...go to your C: drive...head up to the file tab there...pull the menu down and go to "New" you can create a new folder.
I named mine 1 so it&#39;ll always be at the top. You can then tell ALL your files you&#39;re downloading to go there and you can find it really fast. ;)
See if any of this works for you...if not holler back. I&#39;m pretty sure some of the others here are way better at this than I am. Good luck. ;)

(p.s. oh...btw...I really like this song. Thank you for the new lead ;) [/b][/quote]
But it doesn&#39;t work.. The file that is saved (wmwax[1].wax) is only 386 bytes size and when I open it it connects to internet to play. So it&#39;s not in my computer..

Nice to hear you liked the song ;)

4play
06-19-2003, 04:51 PM
have any of you tried streamboxvcr it is designed to save streamed files.

i would also look into url snooper to get the real addy of the files quickly.

http://www.souxin.com/en/ they have both there.

Laura
06-21-2003, 04:15 PM
i tried streambox but couldn&#39;t download with it either. i put url which i got from that 386 bytes size file opened with notepad in it, but it couldn&#39;t find the link..