PDA

View Full Version : Which surge protector do you use?

S!X
04-05-2007, 02:41 AM
I have the Monster MP PC800RP (http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=595) which seems to be so far so good.

Skiz
04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
The white one that cost me like $4 at Office Depot. :01:

S!X
04-05-2007, 02:45 AM

:cry:

Skiz
04-05-2007, 02:49 AM
:cry:
Well now that I think about it, my battery backup doubles as a surge protector.

I have the cheap white one plugged in to the battery backup to give me more plugs.

"Double-bagged" for ultimate protection. :shifty:

Seedler
04-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Qi Bao Brand Golden Surge Protector.

It's what my thing says, I brought it straight from da motherland, been working flawlessly for over 6 years now:snooty: I think it was 15 Yen or something which is like $2 CAD. $1.5 USD and free for UK money.

JordoR
04-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Yeah I use a like 6 buck pos that i got from some office store. I don't see the point in getting any better, in my like 5 years of having it on multiple setups ive never once had a problem so yeah. :ph34r:

tesco
04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't have one. :unsure:
When I built my basement is my room I setup 2 receptacles next to eachother for my PC so I wouldn't ever need extra plugs.
Plus now all I have plugged in are my monitor and pc anyway, the printer, etc. are with the older pc. :)

Besides if there is a surge my pc would be fried but everything else in the house (furnace, water heater, air conditioner, fridge, tvs, etc) would be fried too. If anything my parents should just buy whole-house surge protectors. :idunno:

http://www.smarthome.com/4839.html $120 offers more protection than the $50 monster surge protector and protects the whole home.

silent h3ro
04-06-2007, 10:25 PM
If you guys are actually serious about your computers then buy a battery backup (UPS) for your PC. If your PC gets surged once while plugged into the surge protector then it's fine but the plug is no longer secure. Surge protectors only last one surge per socket. If your computer suffers a surge or two with out a surge protector or battery, then it's fucked

Btw, Monster is over priced, IMHO.

S!X
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Everything that hold the "Monster" name is ridiculously priced, I know. I was running a cheapy like ten dollar surge protector and though I'd upgrade. It was either the monster or something by "APC".

lynx
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
If you guys are actually serious about your computers then buy a battery backup (UPS) for your PC. If your PC gets surged once while plugged into the surge protector then it's fine but the plug is no longer secure. Surge protectors only last one surge per socket. If your computer suffers a surge or two with out a surge protector or battery, then it's fucked
Sorry, that's simply not true.

Imagine for a second that it were true. Is there any indicator that there's been a surge? No, so anyone who suffered from a second surge would almost certainly have damaged equipment and could immediately make a claim from the manufacturers. It doesn't happen otherwise the makers would be out of business.

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.

tesco
04-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Imagine for a second that it were true. Is there any indicator that there's been a surge? No, so anyone who suffered from a second surge would almost certainly have damaged equipment and could immediately make a claim from the manufacturers. It doesn't happen otherwise the makers would be out of business.

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.I read that surge protectors DO stop working after a couple of surges.
Once it's fried it keeps passing power through but won't offer any protection.
That's why you want one with a light on it...if the light doesn't light-up then the surge protection is gone.

That could be complete bullshit though, i read it on howstuffworks.:P

j2k4
04-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Everything that hold the "Monster" name is ridiculously priced, I know. I was running a cheapy like ten dollar surge protector and though I'd upgrade. It was either the monster or something by "APC".

APC is generally pretty good stuff. ;)

lynx
04-09-2007, 02:12 AM

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.I read that surge protectors DO stop working after a couple of surges.
Once it's fried it keeps passing power through but won't offer any protection.
That's why you want one with a light on it...if the light doesn't light-up then the surge protection is gone.

That could be complete bullshit though, i read it on howstuffworks.:P
It is true that poor quality MOVs can burn out after a few surges, but ones with reasonable quality should not suffer like that, and a good surge protector wouldn't use MOVs at all. In addition, there's no way to tell with any degree of certainty whether they've burnt out by using an indicator light, despite claims to the contrary.

Busyman™
04-09-2007, 02:56 AM
The proper way to guard against surges are whole house protectors and individual protectors.

Also makes sure you have surge protector and not simply a power strip.

A whole house protector may cost you $200 installed.
This is recommended for all electronics. No surge protector and you may find that TV that was supposed to last 10 years may only last 4.

A direct lightning strike and you are fucked anyway.

It's also a good idea to unplug important/expensive electronics during a power outage.

silent h3ro
04-11-2007, 09:58 PM

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.My dad is owns his own business as an electrician so thats how I know that he is right... :rolleyes:

tesco
04-11-2007, 10:37 PM

You are probably thinking about the early lightning arresters - they were one time use devices, but they also behaved like a fuse so that after being tripped even the normal current did not pass through.My dad is owns his own business as an electrician so thats how I know that he is right... :rolleyes:Well the 'one surge per socket' part is wrong for sure... The 'MOVs' pass excess power from the hot to the ground wire, nothing to do with the socket. Once the MOVs fry they won't protect anymore.

Roxxy
04-11-2007, 11:20 PM
A good surge protector can keep your computer safe during a thunderstorm, I like to unplug mine. If the thing isn't plugged into the wall, it's kind of hard for a spike or surge to get through.

silent h3ro
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
My dad is owns his own business as an electrician so thats how I know that he is right... :rolleyes:Well the 'one surge per socket' part is wrong for sure... The 'MOVs' pass excess power from the hot to the ground wire, nothing to do with the socket. Once the MOVs fry they won't protect anymore.Well thats what I can remember from what he told me so I could have understood him wrong but I guess that makes sense.

@ Roxxy - Yep, that's true.

Duffman
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Some sales dude talked my dad into buying a 60$ surge protector that goes up to like 5000 jules or something last time I bought a desktop in store back in 99' when I was 13 or 14... I both regret and laugh at it now.

ZaZu
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I have this APC Back-Ups Office that I bought for my first system in '97...its got a battery in it...I assume its still charged...

lynx
04-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I have this APC Back-Ups Office that I bought for my first system in '97...its got a battery in it...I assume its still charged...Unless you are continuing to use it the battery will have lost its charge and will be wrecked.

In any case, the expected lifetime of the battery is only 3-5 years, so if you haven't replaced it yet you are on thin ice.

karateo
04-13-2007, 03:03 PM
APC but i will change the batteries next year.
I have it for 1 and a half already

Ryan711
04-15-2007, 08:24 PM
$5 walmart special. I figure if lightning strikes my house it doens't matter if i have a 5 dollar pos or a 500 dollar beast.