PDA

View Full Version : Religion & signatures...

Gornar
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't know if it's the appropriate place to talk about that, but look at that user's signature: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/0110-148448

Now I believe this is going too far, and I'm sure you guys will agree that it should be removed (at least...if not the user banned).

I've seen plenty of people around here (or at least in the BT invite section) with religious "propaganda" in their signature, and I think this shouldn't be allowed. Sure, we may talk about relion or politics on other topics, but all these religious "ads" are starting to annoy me.
Be it jewish, catholic, muslim,... it annoys me and I don't think allowing that shit in signatures is doing any good.

We are here to talk about file sharing first...

What do you guys think?

manker
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm not here to talk about filesharing whatsoever but if a signature offends you, by all means report the user in the report section but the chap is only exercising his interweb right to free speech and there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.

I, myself, am tempted to report the user for flagrant use of two languages in a single statement.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7136/htifoz4.jpg

How rude.

jimbo12345
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, but he spelt it "oLd SKooL", that means he' is old. Thus making him slightly senile, so no-one would take much notice anyway. Unless she/he's a fundamentalist. They are the worst. But i think there's a clause in the "terms and conditions" when you join that bans fundamentalists?

Seriously, everyone has an opinion. Some stronger than others. Granted,there are things i don't want to see, such as this signature. I don't like the "Jihad" member name either, or anything that pokes a cross at me. But, some might find my flag a sign of communism and evil also. I live here, i don't support communism.

Formula1
04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Just because he says "Hell to israil", doesnt neccesairly refer to jewish people in general. He could be reffering to zionism, period.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zionist

A racist individual who uses Judaism and his/her goal in supporting Israel as an excuse to occupy, control, and subdue an entire group of people. Zionists do not believe in the true teachings of Judaism, rather they abuse it much like Bin Laden abuses the Muslim religion. They believe the Jewish race is a superior race, and that every other race/people should serve them.

What's next... saying "Hell to England", is insulting the people who follow the Anglican religion?

Gornar
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Just because he says "Hell to israil", doesnt neccesairly refer to jewish people in general. He could be reffering to zionism, period.

What's next... saying "Hell to England", is insulting the people who follow the Anglican religion?

Ok, so he might not refer to jewish people, only to Israel.

Maybe I should put a burning american flag in my signature with something along the lines of "death to americans" or "I'm glad for 9/11"

Or that's perfectly fine as well?

Barbarossa
04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I can remember two previous instances of offense being taken over signatures/avatars.

1). We had a big discussion once about the use of swastikas, and it was deemed that they are inappropriate to use in avatars and signatures.

2). Rat Faced (I think it was) had to change his signature once because of complaints that it contained an image of a US flag being burned.

I would say that the signature image in question breaks at least 2 of the board rules (regarding inflammatory sig content, and offensive imagery) and so will be removed, and a warning given.

If you know of any more signatures they you feel are offensive/inflammatory, please bring them to the attention of the team via the gift of the Report Section.

They will of course be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Gornar
04-05-2007, 11:59 AM
there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.

I'm not really offended, I'm not Israeli nor jew... in fact I don't even like Israel.
Thing is, other people might be offended.

Barbarossa
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM
there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.
I'm not really offended, I'm not Israeli nor jew... in fact I don't even like Israel.
Thing is, other people might be offended.

Okaaaaaay,

I've been proceeding under the assumption that you were offended. :frusty:

If you are not offended then why have you brought this up? If other people are offended then I'm sure they can speak up for themselves.

I've now warned a user and changed their sig for no good reason, other than for possibly offending some people maybe. :idunno:

My advice to you in the future is, if you yourself are offended, then report someone. If you are not offended, then leave well alone.

jimbo12345
04-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I would say that the signature image in question breaks at least 2 of the board rules (regarding inflammatory sig content, and offensive imagery) and so will be removed, and a warning given.

If you know of any more signatures they you feel are offensive/inflammatory, please bring them to the attention of the team via the gift of the Report Section.

They will of course be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Well done. Can i say though, i always find your picture scary and intimidating. Could you change it to something a bit more....placid or peaceful?

Barbarossa
04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Indeed ;)

Cheese
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I find those generic user bars that all the Bittorrenters have to be quite offensive myself.

jimbo12345
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I find flames offensive also. Can someone light Barbarossa's beard and slap a smile around his face please?

I like Cheese's turtlehead. Warm and inviting.

GepperRankins
04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm not here to talk about filesharing whatsoever but if a signature offends you, by all means report the user in the report section but the chap is only exercising his interweb right to free speech and there is an option for you to put him on ignore if the statement truly makes for uncomfortable reading.

I, myself, am tempted to report the user for flagrant use of two languages in a single statement.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7136/htifoz4.jpg

How rude.
shouldn't it be "israel to hell" or sth?

jimbo12345
04-05-2007, 12:52 PM
type it in google

Gornar
04-05-2007, 01:02 PM
If you are not offended then why have you brought this up? If other people are offended then I'm sure they can speak up for themselves.

I brought this up because I don't like the religious crap I've seen in signatures, and I wanted to discuss that, what people thought about it.

And I'm not easily offended, if someone had an avatar with a swatsika or even 10 year old girl getting raped, I don't think I would be offended.
But I would still report it, as I feel other might be offended, and might create a "bad feeling" (I'm lacking the proper word there) for the users browing the forums.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I brought this up because I don't like the religious crap I've seen in signatures, and I wanted to discuss that, what people thought about it.
And I'm not easily offended, if someone had an avatar with a swatsika or even 10 year old girl getting raped WTF, I don't think I would be offended.
But I would still report it, as I feel other might be offended, and might create a "bad feeling" (I'm lacking the proper word there) for the users browing the forums.

To be honest, if you are not the one offended, than you are basically acting as forum cop. That is the mods job.

jimbo12345
04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Religion would be on a long list of things people don't want to see as signatures. Its a case of let them all in (and cut off the real bad ones) or ban them all. I think they are a waste of space. Especally the big ones that cover most of the page.

Barbarossa...for your pic, i was thinking you can keep the beard. Just get a smiley person. Such as Father Christmas, Captain Birdseye, one of the SIX bearded Dwarves.

Beards aren't scary. My ex's mother had one, and a skin-head. She said it was a genetic thing, so i finished her the second i found loose hairs during the daily comb inspection.

Cheese
04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
And I'm not easily offended, if someone had an avatar ... 10 year old girl getting raped, I don't think I would be offended.

I would, I can't imagine the type of person who wouldn't be offended by that. :dabs:

Gornar
04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I would, I can't imagine the type of person who wouldn't be offended by that. :dabs:

I'm not easily offended, that's all. Indeed that's sick, wrong,... and I woudn't want to see that. Although I wouldn't say that would really offend me.

But, you guys aren't offended that someone can "promote" the death of an entire nation in his signature (that's what the banner means, yes)?

Genocide is fine maybe?

HeavyMetalParkingLot
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM

I'm not easily offended, that's all. Indeed that's sick, wrong,... and I woudn't want to see that. Although I wouldn't say that would really offend me.

But, you guys aren't offended that someone can "promote" the death of an entire nation in his signature (that's what the banner means, yes)?

Genocide is fine maybe?

You're not offended by the swatsika, but you're offended by genocide?

JPaul
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
My ex's mother had one, and a skin-head. She said it was a genetic thing, so i finished her the second i found loose hairs during the daily comb inspection.

You murdered someone for going bald. That's appalling.

Genocide is fine maybe?
Wow there, spunky. You're the one who said he wouldn't be offended by the depiction of a 10 year old girl being raped.

That's fucking sick if you ask me. So the moral high ground may not be your natural habitat.

jimbo12345
04-05-2007, 01:36 PM
The English flag has a terrible past to some....but many of you display it.

Does this signature give you the urge to attak Israel? Or does is remind you of a long term issue? Remember, sometimes "bad" publicity is "good" publicity. "If you know what i " mean.

Gornar
04-05-2007, 01:50 PM

I never said I was offended anywhere. As stated earlier, I'm not easily offended,
I was wondering how you could defend this guy... even if that banner didn't really offend me. But it is innapropriate, just like the swatsika or rape picture (I did go too far with that example)

But that's besides the point. I wanted 1st to talk about "religious" signatures, while not offending me, I don't like seeing it every fucking day "ALLAH NUMBER 1 PROPHET", it's annoying.

I like nice forums, whitout political, religious bullshit around every corner.

I think it's too late though..., this thread is off topic, my fault probably

You can close it I guess, this isn't going anywhere.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I never said I was offended anywhere. As stated earlier, I'm not easily offended,
I was wondering how you could defend this guy... even if that banner didn't really offend me. But it is innapropriate, just like the swatsika or rape picture (I did go too far with that example)
But that's besides the point. I wanted 1st to talk about "religious" signatures, while not offending me, I don't like seeing it every fucking day "ALLAH NUMBER 1 PROPHET", it's annoying.
I like nice forums, whitout political, religious bullshit around every corner.
I think it's too late though..., this thread is off topic, my fault probably
You can close it I guess, this isn't going anywhere.

I would much rather support someone else's political beliefs (whether or not I believe the same) than support someone who is not offended by pedophelia.

Seriously, no contest there.

Gornar
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I would much rather support someone else's political beliefs (whether or not I believe the same) than support someone who is not offended by pedophelia.
Seriously, no contest there.

It would probably offend me. It's was just one bad example.

And anyway, most of us have already seen murders on television... were you offended? Maybe, but let's say you just thought that was wrong, but it didn't really offend you. Does that mean you support muderers or that you like seeing that? I don't think so.

Yea and mods, please close this. I don't want to defend myself for another 50 pages, this thread is doomed.

Barbarossa
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
OK, you've asked for it to be closed twice, so I will oblige. ;)

Shame though, because it was quite an interesting discussion.