PDA

View Full Version : Hide IP address

victord66
04-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I have just received a warning from Sympatico: Complaint of alleged copyright infringement on your account for downloading a move. Can someone offer advice on how to hide or mask my ip address so this won't happen again? Thanks.

DefX
04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Using proxy is the easy answer but private torrent sites do not like it when u do it.

Also using peerguardian might help keep you off mpaa's radar but i have never used it.

Probably the best course is just change ISP.

menlyman
04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Well first change your IP by unplugging the cables of youe modem.
then try using proxies
Google "anonymous proxys" read some info

DefX
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
How is unplugging his modem's cable going to change his static IP?

RTFM
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Make sure that encryption is turned on in your client. If you're using uTorrent, its under Options -> Preferences -> Bittorrent.

You could also use a linux shell as a tunnel/proxy. A good shell will only cost a few dollars a month. If you're willing to spend more (and get better speeds), you could look into a VPS or dedicated server, where you can run a torrent program and then get the files via FTP.

Here's a ssh tunnel tutorial:
http://www.whalesalad.com/2006/08/27/tunneling-bittorrent-over-ssh/

menlyman
04-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Maybe its not a-static IP?

magicrabbit
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
If you are on a mac you should use netshade. It's a great proxy program

DefX
04-05-2007, 09:47 PM

I read up on it and this unplugging trick only works if you have it unplugged for a reasonable amount of time before plugging it back again. Good to know.

menlyman
04-05-2007, 09:55 PM

I read up on it and this unplugging trick only works if you have it unplugged for a reasonable amount of time before plugging it back again. Good to know.

Well i have a changable IP (non-Static) i unplug the cable for ~ 10 Sec and put it back And BANG_SE-LA-KAZAM (LOL) my ip have changed

DefX
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Too bad that doesn't work on mine. Well i wont mind waiting a little longer to see if it'll work.

Melvinmeow
04-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Well i have a changable IP (non-Static) i unplug the cable for ~ 10 Sec and put it back And BANG_SE-LA-KAZAM (LOL) my ip have changed

Thats great that you think changing your IP acctually accomplishes anything. I wish everyone though it was as simple as that. However.... your isp has to maintain backlogs of which user was assigned which ip for a certain time limit.
Changing your ip doesnt do anything but give them an extra line to go through if they should have to provide any info to the MPAA about your actions.
Good luck with your unplugging the internet connection though. If you think it really does you any more good. You might as well save yourself 10 seconds and just keep the same ip ;)

Most isps wont do anything even if you were caught unless the company that caught you asks them for information about you. Which they would/ (SHOULD) have to get an order to hand over any information about you.
Sometimes if you have been caught a few times the isp will just can you from their network though.

victord66
04-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Tell me, will using PeerGuardian really help?

Bucktoof
04-06-2007, 12:23 AM
PeerGuardian blocks a lot IPs, I've been using it since I started torrenting 2 years ago. I don't download/upload without it.

But that's just me

Melvinmeow
04-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Tell me, will using PeerGuardian really help?

It probably blocks a few... which is a few more than none.
But in all reality it should be considered 100% safe since they technically can use home connections to find you downloading anyways. Then they can always switch a new location buissness wise as well. If you ask me running PG2 is a false sence of security. Your just as well not running it since it will free up resources ;)
I used it before and it blocks more good ips than it does bad ips. Ex: Alot of seedboxs will be blocked if your running it thus giving you worse dl speeds.

DefX
04-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Well one has to be really naive to think that plugging and unplugging your cable modem to change IP's will be enough to evade authorities. But im sure it has other uses.

From all the people that I've talked to about Peerguardian, most of them say that its hardly a foolproof method of staying invisible. Since it will likely slow down your downloads as Melvinmeow said, I doubt I'll ever use it.

DaMan05
04-06-2007, 01:07 AM
your ISP will always know your IP address... but sympatico is being AN ASS with me right now, actually for the past couple of weeks... they've been changing my IP EVERY 15 MIN!!!! it sucks!!! it kills all downloads and disconnects me from MSN and Xbox Live ... and that SUCKS when im playing with my friends... damn bell... i have to give them a call...

Melvinmeow
04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
your ISP will always know your IP address... but sympatico is being AN ASS with me right now, actually for the past couple of weeks... they've been changing my IP EVERY 15 MIN!!!! it sucks!!! it kills all downloads and disconnects me from MSN and Xbox Live ... and that SUCKS when im playing with my friends... damn bell... i have to give them a call...

Alot of times when that happens (At least where im from) it means the isp is doing network changes.
Ex: when it happened to me a bit last year my isp went from offering 8mbit speeds to 15mbit. So I wasnt all that mad when I noticed the speed differance. The internet connection was only acting stupid for a few days so the speed differance was well worth it.
P.S. What games you play on XBL? I use the same gamertag if you wanna game with me sometime.

STAGUY
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I won't recommend using a proxy to get access to torrent trackers because many of these trackers will BAN you on sight if you ever used proxy service or any Anonymizing software

DaMan05
04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Alot of times when that happens (At least where im from) it means the isp is doing network changes.
Ex: when it happened to me a bit last year my isp went from offering 8mbit speeds to 15mbit. So I wasnt all that mad when I noticed the speed differance. The internet connection was only acting stupid for a few days so the speed differance was well worth it.
P.S. What games you play on XBL? I use the same gamertag if you wanna game with me sometime.

kk... but this has been happening for 2 weeks now.. and i dont think its an upgrade, because they went from 3mbps to 5mbps about 6 months ago. my 360 is modded, so i play bout every game... add me, same gamertag, because i'll forget to add you... :D

Melvinmeow
04-06-2007, 04:32 PM

kk... but this has been happening for 2 weeks now.. and i dont think its an upgrade, because they went from 3mbps to 5mbps about 6 months ago. my 360 is modded, so i play bout every game... add me, same gamertag, because i'll forget to add you... :D

Out of curiosity you using Cox as your ISP?

maxrebo
04-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Your best/safest bet is just to get some cheap crappy unlimited VPS like Leeware and only torrent to that, and then download from it via FTP.

I HIGHLY doubt that Peer Guardian actually works. Think about it, the MPAA/RIAA/BSA/whoever has enough money to just continue to buy more IPs every time they see that one of theirs is listed on a blacklist.

Anyway, stuff like protocol encryption won't help for this, and using your average public proxy (and even your average paid private proxy) would be far too slow, besides that trackers don't like you using them.

victord66
04-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks maxrebo. Anyone else using this system? Wouldn't the VPS provider still keep track of ip addresses, usage, etc if queried by the authorities?

DaMan05
04-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Out of curiosity you using Cox as your ISP?

i said Bell Sympatico in post 16 dude... ;)

maxrebo
04-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks maxrebo. Anyone else using this system? Wouldn't the VPS provider still keep track of ip addresses, usage, etc if queried by the authorities?
The VPS provider would presumably track those things, but it would require a subpeona from a court to get information about the person, and then a subpeona to paypal/ebay to get information about the paypal account used to register. It is far less likely that the copyright holder will bother to deal with small VPS providers when large ISPs essentially have automated systems in place to deal with subpeonas.