PDA

View Full Version : Moving threads out of The Lounge

JPaul
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Does that make sence.

Seriously, if someone posts something in The Lounge, then they accept that it doesn't have to be treated in a serious manner. They accept that it will be spammed, that's the point. So why move threads out of The Lounge.

If someone thinks that the topic deserves serious discussion, then start another thread, in a serious part of the board. Whether it be File Sharing, Sport, Current Affairs, Movies, whatever.

Threads which have gone off topic should be moved to The Lounge, fair enough. However to move threads which started in The Lounge elsewhere is a bit mental.

Cheese
04-05-2007, 11:19 PM
If the thread starter asks for it to be moved or agrees for it to be moved then fine enough, otherwise keep it where it was.

JPaul
04-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I hate you Chebus.

Imagine_If
04-06-2007, 08:51 AM
He always comes and does that.

JPaul
04-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah but he uses phrases like "fine enough" so you can't really hate him.

Particularly when he's ripping the pish out of me. I like that, but only if it's done well.

Anyway, it still doesn't make sence to me. People chose The lounge to post in for a reason. Unless the topic itself breaks the rules it is unlikely they have done anything wrong when doing so. What then justifies moving the thread, what rule have they broken.

tesco
04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't see how moving threads out of the lounge is mental...

Snee
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Unless they ask for it moved, why touch it at all?

Only reason to move a serious thread out of the lounge if the original poster doesn't see the need for it would be 'cos of that old idiocy about it not being possible to find intelligence in the lounge, or whatever some idiots used to say.

Now and again, and a lot more some periods in the past, there were lots of good, thoughtful threads in the lounge. If people are going to start messing with good or at least serious threads in it now, I can only assume that they are doing it to keep the lounge as stupid as some seem to think it these days.

WTF, like?

tesco
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Unless they ask for it moved, why touch it at all?

That's not what jp is saying.
He's saying it's mental to move the thread out of the lounge even if the thread poster asked for it to be...

i think :blink:

Snee
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I think he's saying that threads that were intentionally posted in the lounge shouldn't be touched. If some noob or something messed up, and put a thread in the lounge, then realises it and asks for it to be moved to an appropriate section, I don't think him to be against that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, JP.

tesco
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
okay then when did a mod move a thread out of the lounge without the original thread poster having asked?

Snee
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Look at the drawing room.

Top thread.

That's one.

JPaul
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I think he's saying that threads that were intentionally posted in the lounge shouldn't be touched. If some noob or something messed up, and put a thread in the lounge, then realises it and asks for it to be moved to an appropriate section, I don't think him to be against that.

That is exactly what I mean. Wish I'd said it so well.

Remember Rossco, we had this before. I started "darts" threads in The Lounge, because I wanted to have a jokey discussion, loosely darts related. More a stream of consciousness, mates in a pub type feel. Someone moved them to the Sports place and said they belonged there. Probably because of VB's report if memory serves.

I asked if people really wanted me spamming SportsWorld, or did they want to keep it for more serious discussions. Further pointing out that The Lounge was for anything, however people should bear in mind that it is moderated very loosely and if your topic gets spammed that's kind of tough shit.

The same applies to any subject, in my opinion.

And also, I agree that The Lounge is actually the most interesting and stimulating part of the forum. It is also inhabited by patently the most intelligent people.

j2k4
04-06-2007, 09:25 PM

That is exactly what I mean. Wish I'd said it so well.

Remember Rossco, we had this before. I started "darts" threads in The Lounge, because I wanted to have a jokey discussion, loosely darts related. More a stream of consciousness, mates in a pub type feel. Someone moved them to the Sports place and said they belonged there. Probably because of VB's report if memory serves.

I asked if people really wanted me spamming SportsWorld, or did they want to keep it for more serious discussions. Further pointing out that The Lounge was for anything, however people should bear in mind that it is moderated very loosely and if your topic gets spammed that's kind of tough shit.

The same applies to any subject, in my opinion.

And also, I agree that The Lounge is actually the most interesting and stimulating part of the forum. It is also inhabited by patently the most intelligent people.

I know what you're referring to...I was doing a bit of housekeeping and noted the two threads individually, but moved them both at once, perhaps jumping too quickly in one instance, but not in the other, I don't think.

The difference is SnnY (from whom intent could rightly be assumed) originating the "prisoners released" thread and this other fellow (whom I am not familiar with, but who isn't an old-timer, so far as I know) on the other hand possibly not being familiar with certain things, and posting about war and religion in the lounge.

The last is a rife with potential for nastiness, and such nastiness belongs where I put it.

Not even a judgment call, to my mind.

Snny, please accept my apologies for the forced sojourn; perhaps you could give us a hint, next time.

Having said all that, I've long been of the opinion that the Drawing Room is a bit under-utilized insofar as it is perfectly suited for any and all serious subjects, not just news/politics/social issues.

I might go so far as to say that any issue introduced for discussion, serious or otherwise, would be proper, as long as each post brings with it a tiny bit of propulsive fuel to drive things...this as opposed to the lounge, where, indeed, anything should go, especially the creativity and sparks of brilliance and humor it has become known for, much of which comes through lags and intentionally careening wildly off-topic.

There is some overlap, however, and that small slice of things will continue to be subject to movement, and though I am certainly open to the individual persuasive argument to the contrary, there is the difficulty of attending with the thread's author, for which I will beg your indulgence on those occasions it presents.

Mr JP Fugley
04-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Kev,

I love you like the brother I never had (I have two). However if you feel that clears things up then...nah, not really.

The chances of anyone actually reading, never mind understanding, what you said are slim. I did both but that's the type of guy I am and I really respect you as a person, so I'm willing to put the effort in.

However can I suggest the following. If someone like Snee posts in The Lounge, then they probably meant it, they knew what was going to happen. If someone who appears to be a bit of a n00b posts there, then perhaps point out to them the likely outcome and offer to move the thread to the appropriate section.

To just move things out of The Lounge because you think they should be elsewhere is actually a bit of a liberty. I think we have established that we can post what we want in The Lounge, subject to the boards rules. If someone else feels that a similar topic should be elsewhere there's nothing to prevent them starting a similar thread, in the section of their choice.

I think that's reasonable.

j2k4
04-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Kev,

I love you like the brother I never had (I have two).

I have no brothers at all (at all), so I wouldn't have any idea how to love you.

I do have two sisters, however, who I will try to love like brothers if you think that will help me understand your sentiment. :huh:

The chances of anyone actually reading, never mind understanding, what you said are slim. I did both but that's the type of guy I am and I really respect you as a person, so I'm willing to put the effort in.

However can I suggest the following. If someone like Snee posts in The Lounge, then they probably meant it, they knew what was going to happen. If someone who appears to be a bit of a n00b posts there, then perhaps point out to them the likely outcome and offer to move the thread to the appropriate section.

To just move things out of The Lounge because you think they should be elsewhere is actually a bit of a liberty. I think we have established that we can post what we want in The Lounge, subject to the boards rules. If someone else feels that a similar topic should be elsewhere there's nothing to prevent them starting a similar thread, in the section of their choice.

I think that's reasonable.

There now, you've cleared things up by undertaking an admirable interpretation of my post, with the exception of that bit about offering my services to a noob.

Noobs have steering wheels, and I have driving gloves.

Apart from that, it's perfect, which is only appropriate, 'cuz I was speaking directly to you. :)