PDA

View Full Version : Leeware Users ....

import_fighter
04-06-2007, 03:57 AM
im considering getting one of these.whats everyones thoughts. im kinda weary only because it doesnt have windows but im sure i can learn everything i need to use it efficently... is it very troublesome getting the files downloaded to your hd?

thoughts , comments, suggestions.

RTFM
04-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Setting it up is quite easy, especially if you use Buggyme's walkthrough on running uTorrent. However, if things get screwed up, Linux can be a pain to work with for an someone with little experience, and the VPS is unmanaged, so you won't get much help there.

However, for the price and speed, I'd say it's worth it if you can't afford a dedicated box.

import_fighter
04-06-2007, 04:13 AM
yea i figured id follow the walkthrough and if things got messy there was enough people running it on here to be able to help.

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm greatful for mine, but the HDD space is just not enough! I think I will hold on to this for a few months and get another company with over 100GB HDD space. Also, low RAM seems to have an effect. I use the VNC viewer a lot to get mu torrents up and going, so RAM and processor is a bottleneck (especially for hashing/checking torrents).
Otherwise, it is a great but. Price/speed is fantastic. Atso, the bandwidth is unmetered unlike many other companies.

RTFM
04-06-2007, 05:03 AM
I would recommend loading your torrents through the WebUI (setup is explained in Buggyme's tutorial). Don't have to deal with the lag of the VNC. Although it doesn't have all of the same features that are accessible in uTorrent, it's easier to deal.

NYGiants
04-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I would recommend loading your torrents through the WebUI (setup is explained in Buggyme's tutorial). Don't have to deal with the lag of the VNC. Although it doesn't have all of the same features that are accessible in uTorrent, it's easier to deal.
i agree 100% with this comment, i got the firefox plugin and load them through webui, it is soooooo much easier that way and also faster:D

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 05:23 AM
i agree 100% with this comment, i got the firefox plugin and load them through webui, it is soooooo much easier that way and also faster:D
Normally, I too would agree. However, I am an uploader at Revtt. They have a bad system where you upload a torrent with the announce tracker set as tracker.revoluttion.net/announce.php. Then after you upload, you have to download the torrent again and rechack the file. So when I upload files to my server to seed to revtt, I have to recheck the files (i do it in vnc so that I can make sure it is saving to the right path). Also, If I download files from another site to upload to revtt, I need to create a torrent. To do that I need to be in vnc.

import_fighter
04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
so do you continue to seed stuff off your normal connection and still seed off the leeware at the same time? im wondering simply because the site would show 2 ip or is that not a problem.

darkseekers
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
so do you continue to seed stuff off your normal connection and still seed off the leeware at the same time? im wondering simply because the site would show 2 ip or is that not a problem.

read the site faq b4 u proceed..
for me..so far so ok

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't use the files that I download from my box. I only use it to boost my ratoi. If I want something, I will download it directly.

Leecher101
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM
If I download something and it starts dieing and looks like it won't hit 1:1, I leech it from the FTP and continue to seed at home to meet the 72h requirement. Otherwise, I never seed the same file on the same tracker at home and on leeware.

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
it's not a problem at a lot of places.

RTFM
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
I never seed on both my leeware box and from home. It's not the I think I'm going to get diabled/banned for using 2 IP's, but it's just too much of a hassle to FTP everything to my home computer and then start seeding. I haven't had a problem getting to a ratio of 1 yet, so no need.

import_fighter
04-06-2007, 01:52 PM
so its seems like its a good way to build a buffer....but anything i actually want i should download with my home connection.

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
so its seems like its a good way to build a buffer....but anything i actually want i should download with my home connection.
No, not necessarily. That's just the way that I do it. Either is fine, but Leeware has limited HD space, so I only download things onto it that I am confident there will be a high demand for. Most of the things that I see and want already have many seeds. I use the limited HD space to strategically seed and build a buffer.

gamer4eva
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
It is a good substitute for a dedicated box. Dedi are pretty expensive. Although i hate linux but its worth it for the price....

doda32
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
hello guys, I'm thinking of using a seedbox from Leeware as I think it worth its money. But I would like to know your experiences from various trackers. I have heard, that there is a problem using a seedbox in various trackers, because they think of you as a cheater. Trackers like Oink..
Is this true? Have you ever experienced trouble?

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I explicitly asked oink mods before I tried, and they said that if they are suspicious of your speed, they (or their system) looks at your isp to determine if it is capable of uploading at those speeds.

I use it on revtt, thor's land, rsr, oink tl, and iplay. no problems yet.

doda32
04-06-2007, 04:27 PM
thanx mbucari for your answer. I'm thinking of using it on oink, of course I would ask first the mods, but the oink's staff doesn't have the reputation of being polite and helpful..

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 06:09 PM
your welcome. If you want to double check, go to their irc channel and say something like
"I want to help make this community by providing fast upload speeds, but will I get banned if I seed/upload from a fast remote server?"

Digital01
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
When I dl torrent to leeware server, can I use two computers to dl through ftp, at the same time? One is at my work and the other one is at my home?

QstorM
04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I wonder if Lee knows where all his business is coming from :lol:

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 10:25 PM
When I dl torrent to leeware server, can I use two computers to dl through ftp, at the same time? One is at my work and the other one is at my home?
you can't be connected to the sftp server from 2 differet ip's with 1 user account. However, you can go into your user control panel and set up a new user account.

Ecca
04-06-2007, 10:39 PM
How come I ain't seeding that fast? How can I do a speedtest on my server?

joyntkid
04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I wonder if Lee knows where all his business is coming from :lol:

i believe he knows people use them for torrenting.
a friend talked to him(i say him, someone at the company) about it one time, they don't care.

ElGatoo
04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I want a leeware VPS. Someone can post a screenshot of the speed =)

Thx

RTFM
04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leeware2bv3.jpg
I want a leeware VPS. Someone can post a screenshot of the speed =)

Thx

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1349/leeware2bv3.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leeware2bv3.jpg

mym_2006
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
:whoosh:

ElGatoo
04-06-2007, 10:55 PM
nice very nice =)

ifkstab
04-06-2007, 11:01 PM
I've had mine for a week now and it's been great so far. I use vnc so that i can skip hash check when i add the torrent file from another site, because the check takes probably a half hour with the cheapest setup.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2148/utorrentwebuicutya4.jpg

mbucari1
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, what do you consider fast?
Probably the reason you aren't seeding "fast" is because you can only upload what your peers bandwidth can handle. If you already have a bunch of fast seeds, then one more (you) is not that great of an aset. Add on top of that fast uploading while downloading, and it becomes hard to seed (unless you were the original uploader)

To do a speedtest, go into putty and type "wget http://mrgneissguy.centelia.net/ff.exe"
download the file
go into your vnc viewer (close utorrent if open) and type "wine ff.exe"
firefox setup will now start. Just install firefox as normal, then start firefox (if it didn't start automatically after installation, type "wine firefox.exe" in the console)
Type http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ in the addressbar.
download and install flash player. After download, click the "open" button from the downloads bar.
restart firefox
goto speedtest.net and do your speedtest

import_fighter
04-07-2007, 12:00 AM
man do those speeds look good...

RTFM
04-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Probably the reason you aren't seeding "fast" is because you can only upload what your peers bandwidth can handle. If you already have a bunch of fast seeds, then one more (you) is not that great of an aset. Add on top of that fast uploading while downloading, and it becomes hard to seed (unless you were the original uploader)

To do a speedtest, go into putty and type "wget http://mrgneissguy.centelia.net/ff.exe"
download the file
firefox setup will now start. Just install firefox as normal, then start firefox (if it didn't start automatically after installation, type "wine firefox.exe" in the console)
download and install flash player. After download, click the "open" button from the downloads bar.
restart firefox

Nice instructions, I'll try that out later tonight.

Buggyme
04-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Heh, you don't need to run FF through wine.
Just yum -y install firefox will do :)
And then to run it, just go firefox &

Also, if you want a light window manager so you can resize/move windows...
This is the command yum -y install twm
You need to restart VNC server, I think or maybe just type twm & on the VNC X terminal.

:)

nikmash232
04-07-2007, 01:07 AM
yea listen to buggyme he set mine up and his walkthrough is great!

maxrebo
04-07-2007, 01:09 AM
I just ordered a 512mb package. Looks like the cheapest possible way to get that kind of bandwidth.

Ecca
04-07-2007, 02:43 AM
I got firefox working but when I downloaded flash the download box came in the way and I cant move or close it or the firefox window. I tried the window yum -y install twm but it says nothing to do :(

got it!
Download speed: 3611 kilobits per second
definately wont be buying this next month

Xaeron
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Heh, Leeware started out ok for me... got speeds as good as 2000kB/s.
Now I'm doing 90-150kB/s. Peeking at 200kB/s. Seeding, I mean.

I guess fst made leeware too popular amongst seedbox seekers... ;)

And nah, it's not about too seeder/leecher ratio, I'm doing torrents which have very few seeders and a lot leechers. :/

Well, you get what you pay for, won't be staying with leeware for another month, though.

How's everybody else? Did I just have bad luck and got crammed with all those other heavy torrent seeders? ;)

maxrebo
04-10-2007, 01:40 AM
It's hard to tell what is happening at the moment. Speeds have been back to normal for me for the last hour or two. I think there were still network problems until then. I guess it is fixed.

QstorM
04-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Works great for me, I just need to know how in the world can I download from the server to my computer faster!! I don't pass 50-70 Bytes. I feel like its 1999 for me again with these speeds.

Ecca
04-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Yeah I only get 20kB. Help?

TorrenTy
04-10-2007, 05:24 AM
if you ike to use your downloaded files on the seedbox , you can use ftp client to connect your macomputer to the seedbox in order to download the files .

sperm
04-10-2007, 08:25 AM

:yup: i agree with that.

i do seem to get speeds of 2MB+ up /down when other leeware boxes are on the same torrent, though i do have to be on it before them :)

i was getting slow ftp transfers untill i spotted a post somewhere about trying one of those internet download accelerator thingys... and now i get speeds of around 715kB/s (my max) :w00t:

Pelorus
04-10-2007, 08:42 AM

:yup: i agree with that.

i do seem to get speeds of 2MB+ up /down when other leeware boxes are on the same torrent, though i do have to be on it before them :)

i was getting slow ftp transfers untill i spotted a post somewhere about trying one of those internet download accelerator thingys... and now i get speeds of around 715kB/s (my max) :w00t:
can you please explain how do you get 715kb/s cause my speeds especially in ftp/sftp are sucks

sperm
04-10-2007, 09:14 AM
you will probable need someone to explain (buggyme :P ) how to setup proftp cause it took me a while to figure it out and i'm still not to sure how i got it working... but i configured it so that my ftps root contains my autostart folder (utorrent) for dropping torrent files straight into it from my desktop and my completed folder for downloading from...

anyway it works and i get good speeds...

just downloaded this smartftp to try and the results are below :)

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/743/smartftpdf7.jpg

Xtremist
04-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Any one with leaseweb seedbox?pls pm me

Ferha
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Where are leeware servers located? I am really interested in one because its cheap. Would it be a problem because i would seed *cough*illegal*cough* stuff :) and i how fast is uploading? Is it more then 2mB/s?

GINZY
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
you will probable need someone to explain (buggyme :P ) how to setup proftp cause it took me a while to figure it out and i'm still not to sure how i got it working... but i configured it so that my ftps root contains my autostart folder (utorrent) for dropping torrent files straight into it from my desktop and my completed folder for downloading from...

anyway it works and i get good speeds...

just downloaded this smartftp to try and the results are below :)

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/743/smartftpdf7.jpg

good speed. i use cuteftp smartftp but the speed is slow.
Lunix is really complicated.my friend spent 2 hours to set up for me to download with IDM through http and get my max speed 200KB/s

sperm
04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Also, if you want a light window manager so you can resize/move windows...
This is the command yum -y install twm
You need to restart VNC server, I think or maybe just type twm & on the VNC X terminal.

:)

i've just tried this, and have had to request a reinstall :cry:

not sure if it was the twm & command that killed me, but i had to reboot my box using webmin cause the X terminal stopped responding, and it never came back up.

so may my box R.I.P for now :lol:

Buggyme
04-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Hahaha, maybe cuz the VPS is so slow it cant handle a GUI window manager :P

phosita
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I'll have to try this daveed.
Could you tell me the necessary things to be installed? YAMM?

RTFM
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Where are leeware servers located? I am really interested in one because its cheap. Would it be a problem because i would seed *cough*illegal*cough* stuff :) and i how fast is uploading? Is it more then 2mB/s?

FDC datacenter in Chicago. As long as Lee doesn't get a DMCA notice about your IP, you'll be fine. Speeds have slowed down recently, not sure if that's because FDC's bandwith isn't that great or because of the influx of torrent users. I'm around 800 kB/s right now, but have seen 4 mB/s.

phosita
04-17-2007, 10:06 PM
@RTFM
It sux... the price is higher and the quality is lower...

RTFM
04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
@RTFM
It sux... the price is higher and the quality is lower...

I wouldn't say it sucks at all. For someone who is short on cash and fed up with a slow home connection, it's a good deal. If you expect Leaseweb speeds from it, however, you'll be disappointed.

phosita
04-18-2007, 01:51 AM
That's not what I meant... :P
Sorry... what I wanted to complain is about a worst service for a higher price...

Ferha
04-18-2007, 05:23 AM

FDC datacenter in Chicago. As long as Lee doesn't get a DMCA notice about your IP, you'll be fine. Speeds have slowed down recently, not sure if that's because FDC's bandwith isn't that great or because of the influx of torrent users. I'm around 800 kB/s right now, but have seen 4 mB/s.

How much bandwith does the server for 20$ have? If i would use proxies would it be harder to find me? What problems would i get if i would seed movies (I am younger then 18 years)? I would mostly use seedbox for my private tracker (not big, maybe 3000 users) and tracker is located in EU would then the speed be slower?

ElGatoo
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
yeah, if Lee get a DMCA notice about my IP .. they only close my box or something else?

Pelorus
04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Someone knows how can I run proxy server on my leeware box ?

Toufas
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
why is leeware so slow :S
122 peers on a torrent and only 100k/s upload speed :/

DVito
04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
yeah, if Lee get a DMCA notice about my IP .. they only close my box or something else?They can't do anything... I paid via PayPal without disclosing my address so all he knows is my name + paypal email.

Ferha: The $20 box gets me about 15mbit (up) when I'm on a good torrent. I don't think you'll have any problems as long as your tracker isn't public. I'm less than 18 years old.. I'm 13.. and my box is running fine :)

I've seeded about 500GB with leeware since the beginning of the month.

sperm
04-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Someone knows how can I run proxy server on my leeware box ?

this is what i've been using, though you will need to do a bit of googling on how to set it up

http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/

Toufas
04-19-2007, 04:45 AM
ok i sorted out the speed problem.
now can someone tell me how to access the server as a vpsXXX.leeware.com/whatever.mp3 and to be able to download that mp3/file/whatever

edit: i figured it out, they have to go to /var/www/html

Toufas
04-19-2007, 02:41 PM
ok...serious question now
how can i install an unraring program to the server?
and how can i create a torrent file there? should i login to vnc and create it from the utorrent interface?

shadowking
04-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I ordered a leeware more than 36 hours ago. Still waiting to receive it. :(

NYGiants
04-19-2007, 02:47 PM
patience is the key m8, same thing happened 2 me

mbucari1
04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
patience is the key m8, same thing happened 2 meyeah, me too

You know, leeware is ok. the price is good and bandwidth is ok, but I have decided that I'm gonna switch to leaseweb. I bought an account with them for a deal, and after he's finished I'll be using it.

Toufas
04-19-2007, 06:28 PM
also, is there a command on putty or any other way to see how much disk space i am using ?

doda32
04-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I see the disk space, when I'm adding a torrent to utorrent

GINZY
04-20-2007, 12:49 AM
don't know what happen with my leeware. I' can't connect to it , even with putty, the utorrent webui , i can't not download from the server .

DVito
04-20-2007, 01:09 AM
also, is there a command on putty or any other way to see how much disk space i am using ?

simply type

"df -h" without quotes in putty

it will tell you how much is used and how much free

ds22
04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
How can I tell how much bandwidth has been used over a month?

shadowking
04-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Finally, I got my leeware. But I am not able to connect to it. In putty, I get a timed out message. I also can't connect through the web browser. (http://vps***.leeware.com/)

sperm
04-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Finally, I got my leeware. But I am not able to connect to it. In putty, I get a timed out message. I also can't connect through the web browser. (http://vps***.leeware.com/)

can you ping it?

ping vps***.leeware.com

if not, contact support :)

ifkstab
04-20-2007, 02:54 PM
don't know what happen with my leeware. I' can't connect to it , even with putty, the utorrent webui , i can't not download from the server .

Same thing happened to me the other day, just send him an email with your details and ask him to reboot.

redMonster
04-21-2007, 04:00 AM
How can I know how much disk space is left on my leeware box?

RTFM
04-21-2007, 04:05 AM
How can I know how much disk space is left on my leeware box?

Login via SSH

Type "df -h"

redMonster
04-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Oh, thanks buddy.

I also have few more questions.

1) How do I change the default password which was issued to me in the welcome email, which I use to access through putty as well as in the webmin?
2) Can I use Remote Desktop Connection to access my leeware box? If yes, what are the settings required?

DVito
04-21-2007, 05:08 AM
1. use putty, type "passwd" and then follow the prompt
2. no, the only thing you can use is vnc

redMonster
04-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Ah, thanks. I changed the default password now. :)

redMonster
04-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh, I need one more help.

How do I delete some files which I downloaded? My HDD is full now. I want to delete a directory. I am a n00b in linux. :D

Xaeron
04-21-2007, 11:39 AM

How do I delete some files which I downloaded? My HDD is full now. I want to delete a directory. I am a n00b in linux. :D

rm -rf directory

tip: if the directory you want to remove is Miami.Vice.The.Movie.DVDRXviDHDDBluRayZIPRAR

then you can just type in putty: rm -rf Miam and press tabulator. It then fills the rest automatically.

zehsay
04-21-2007, 11:39 AM

rm -rf directoryname

Please be careful with the -rf flag, as it will remove everything in the specified directory including sub directories. With root access and the rm -rf command you can wipe out your entire system if you make an error.

darkseekers
04-21-2007, 12:14 PM
lol..it down now..

redMonster
04-21-2007, 12:31 PM
What is tabulator?

I think I messed up something in VNC. I get this when I open VNC viewer.

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leewaredq3.jpg

Pelorus
04-21-2007, 01:20 PM
How can I extract files ?
for example :
XXXX.partXX.rar
and xxxx.00 ...xxxx.rar

zehsay
04-21-2007, 01:28 PM
for example :
XXXX.partXX.rar
and xxxx.00 ...xxxx.rar

It's better to let the files in RAR format in your seedbox, since:

1. You can keep seeding.
2. You don't waste your seedbox HD space with double content
3. When you try to download your PC, your transfer less data.

Anyway, if you really want to extract them, use WinRAR for Linux (http://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-3.6.0.tar.gz)

Pelorus
04-21-2007, 02:55 PM
for example :
XXXX.partXX.rar
and xxxx.00 ...xxxx.rar

It's better to let the files in RAR format in your seedbox, since:

1. You can keep seeding.
2. You don't waste your seedbox HD space with double content
3. When you try to download your PC, your transfer less data.

Anyway, if you really want to extract them, use WinRAR for Linux (http://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-3.6.0.tar.gz)
i want to extract them because in oink and bitmetv the files are not rared

maybe you can guide me how to install and extract
i am noob in linux

redMonster
04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Please guys, help me. I think that I have used too much disk space, so VNC server is not working properly. That is just a guess.

I am not able to find which directories are present on my leeware box. I would delete one DVD-R which I downloaded yesterday. I already tried the vdir command, but to no help.

Eazil
04-21-2007, 05:01 PM
If is fedora the os search in their forums http://forum.fedoraforum.org/

darkseekers
04-21-2007, 05:07 PM
damn..lee wiped my acct...because not paid for the next subscription..lol

prima1
04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
damn..lee wiped my acct...because not paid for the next subscription..lol

kamiliana can you please elaborate? when are we supposed to be for the next month? i just got mine

DVito
04-21-2007, 08:42 PM
say if you signed up today (21st) you would need to pay by may 21st or ur stuff will be wiped

redMonster
04-22-2007, 01:57 AM
I am too confused. I want to delete eveything I have downloaded and start all over again. Any help? If not, I will have to ask in fedora forums.

DVito
04-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Ask lee to reload your VPS.

doda32
04-22-2007, 02:57 AM
redMonster why don't you try through FTP? with an ftp program, you can delete, copy, download, access... all you files. It's much easier

kabir
04-22-2007, 03:31 AM
redMonster why don't you try through FTP? with an ftp program, you can delete, copy, download, access... all you files. It's much easier
totally agreed.
u shud use some ftp program such as WS_FTP. its much easier to manage files like tht.

prima1
04-22-2007, 05:34 AM
can't utorrent delete torrent+data?

redMonster
04-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Oh, I totally forgot about FTP. Currently, there is some problem with my server. I am not able to ping it. I am also not able to connect through SFTP. I will try later. I will reply back when I am able to connect.

RTFM
04-22-2007, 06:22 AM
can't utorrent delete torrent+data?

It can, just right-click on the torrent and it is one of the options.

Oh, I totally forgot about FTP. Currently, there is some problem with my server. I am not able to ping it. I am also not able to connect through SFTP. I will try later. I will reply back when I am able to connect.

If you can't connect, it's likely that your server has crashed. Email Lee and he'll reboot your server when he checks his email. :)

redMonster
04-22-2007, 06:38 AM
All right, I freed up about 6.5 GB of space. But I can't view µtorrent using VNC Viewer. This is the screen I get.

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vnfn9.jpg

TorrenTy
04-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't use the files that I download from my box. I only use it to boost my ratoi. If I want something, I will download it directly.

You might be caught because you will be found on spreading unauthorized material . downloading from your seedbox through ftp is much secure .

prima1
04-22-2007, 11:24 AM
By the way guys, how do you go about being connectable on leeware?
What options to use in utorrent? What port ... etc
Any settings need to be changed on the box itself?

kabir
04-22-2007, 11:29 AM
its not windows, so any random port will work in my opinion.
just check the status at in the status bar, whether u r having connectable status.

prima1
04-22-2007, 11:33 AM
just check the status at in the status bar, whether u r having connectable status.

Thanks Kabir, I ordered my leeware but haven't received the email yet, but I was just wondering
Great people around here, very helpful people, and great community.

doda32
04-22-2007, 12:39 PM

he is very right on that, moreover the firewall on leeware boxes is disabled by default so you won't have any problems with connectivity. You might also want to pick a port from the range 10000-60000, that is the port range many trackers suggest.. but I don't think there would be any problem with that either, cause there's no traffic shaping at leeware boxes (at least I think so :huh: )

redMonster
04-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I think I will uninstall VNC server and then reinstall it. How can I remove VNC server? I tried this command.

yum remove vncserver

The above command doesn't work. It just gets stuck there without any progress.

doda32
04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
redMonster I don't remember exactly the commands for linux/Unix right now, try googling "linux cheatsheet", it might help you with the commands

prima1
04-22-2007, 01:25 PM

he is very right on that, moreover the firewall on leeware boxes is disabled by default so you won't have any problems with connectivity. You might also want to pick a port from the range 10000-60000, that is the port range many trackers suggest.. but I don't think there would be any problem with that either, cause there's no traffic shaping at leeware boxes (at least I think so :huh: )

I have the firewall disabled in my router at home, and I still have to forward the utorrent port to become connectable. But if I use uPnP I don't have to do that. But I guess ADSL is different from the connection on leeware.

doda32
04-22-2007, 01:38 PM
prima1 it's a little different this.. you port forward your router at home, cause a router is virtually a specialized computer that connects the home network (yes even with one computer only), to outer world (that's is the Internet). When you port forwarding the router, you simply tell the router, that data which comes in/out in a specific port, comes from a specific computer in the network. So imagine if you had 2 computers connected in the router (if the router has a built-in switch), and data were coming for example in the port 54321, the router would haven't any idea, to which of the two computers to send the data, to first one? or to the second one? that's why port forwarding is needed (if with one computer connected to the router), in fact you assign a port to a specific ip address in the home network. I tried to make it as simple as possible, hope that helps..

Now in the leeware case, I think every VM has a different ip for the outer world( the Internet), that's to say that even we may share the same computer (cause many VM are simultaneously running on the same computer), we still have different ip address for the Internet..

prima1
04-22-2007, 02:45 PM
prima1 it's a little different this.. you port forward your router at home, cause a router is virtually a specialized computer that connects the home network (yes even with one computer only), to outer world (that's is the Internet). When you port forwarding the router, you simply tell the router, that data which comes in/out in a specific port, comes from a specific computer in the network. So imagine if you had 2 computers connected in the router (if the router has a built-in switch), and data were coming for example in the port 54321, the router would haven't any idea, to which of the two computers to send the data, to first one? or to the second one? that's why port forwarding is needed (if with one computer connected to the router), in fact you assign a port to a specific ip address in the home network. I tried to make it as simple as possible, hope that helps..

Now in the leeware case, I think every VM has a different ip for the outer world( the Internet), that's to say that even we may share the same computer (cause many VM are simultaneously running on the same computer), we still have different ip address for the Internet..

Thanks my friend. Silly me. I didn't realize that on leeware each VM has a static IP. It makes sense now.

prima1
04-30-2007, 09:53 AM

download the file
restart firefox

Well there are 3 problems
1. when you download flash player the downloads window blocks the firefox windw >>> to get rid of it press ctrl+g
2. flashplayer needs firefox to be closed so that it can be installed >>> close firefox with alt+4
3. problem is that typing wine firefox.exe to start firefox again doesn't work
wine cannot find firefox.exe in windows/system32 >>> I still didn't find a solution to this one