PDA

View Full Version : security software...

fz_shurtugal
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
My Norton security software expired (which I never knew was limited).....Now I can't download any torrents or anything too risky for that matter which really SUCKS!......Does anyone know of any free antivirus software and spyware stuff that I can easily download and is reliable?..... please let me know -my life really depends on it.......

fourier
04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
AVG is free and dependable free.grisoft.com and Windows Firewall should be enough. You can additionally use Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Virtualbody1234
04-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I disagree about the Windows Firewall being enough. There's no outbound traffic control.

Here is a free version Zonealarm firewall (for personal home use):

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1025_update/zlsSetup_70_337_000_en.exe

fourier
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I disagree about the Windows Firewall being enough. There's no outbound traffic control.

Yes, really depends on the OS, Vista's firewall has outbound control

Virtualbody1234
04-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Yes, really depends on the OS, Vista's firewall has outbound control

Yes but I don't think this is Vista. In fact an expired Norton Internet Security confirms this.

Moreover, I wouldn't trust Microsoft with this task. With Vista, use Kaspersky.

fz_shurtugal
04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
The zone alarm one only provides Basic Network and Program Firewall and the trial lasts for fifteen days only.....I was thinking about Anti spyware betal (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx) or
AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1).....I'm not sure whether they would be enough though.....I need something compatible with Azuerus so that my PC (my parents PC) doesn't get hacked....do these look reliable and sufficient?......

tobb3
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
off topic

Yes but I don't think this is Vista. In fact an expired Norton Internet Security confirms this.Moreover, I wouldn't trust Microsoft with this task. With Vista, use Kaspersky.

Kaspersky isn't free..they only have 30 days trial versions..
on topic
AV: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic. /// AVG
AS: ewido (free edt.) /// SUPERAntiSpyware (free edt.) /// Spyware Terminator
FW: Jetico 1 or CHX-I

These are the programs u should consider if u wanna be safe at no cost!

Virtualbody1234
04-06-2007, 06:37 PM
The zone alarm one only provides Basic Network and Program Firewall and the trial lasts for fifteen days only

Not true. The one I posted has no time limit. It's not a trial version.

You'll need an Antivirus too. AVG should be ok but I recommend NOD32 but it's not free. ;)

fz_shurtugal
04-06-2007, 09:04 PM
NOD32 seems brilliant, but my dad is in no mood to buy any anti-spyware after how disappointing Norton turned out......spyware terminator and super antiSpyware seems decent enough.........if anyone has any other suggestion that would be great, though for now I'm going to have to risk it with these two -they better keep the hackers out.....

I just realized I have Windows security center which includes a firewall but no virus protection.......whats the most reliable and efficient free hacker blocking spyware?......

Appzalien
04-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Of the things you mention "NOD32 seems brilliant....spyware terminator and super antiSpyware seems decent enough", only Nod32 is an actual anti-virus. Be careful, don't confuse anti-spyware with anti-virus they are two different animals.

I have used the free versions of ZoneAlarm and Avg for years now and although I do not use Azuerus any more I have in the past. "The ZoneAlarm one only provides Basic Network and Program Firewall and the trial lasts for fifteen days only.....I was thinking about Anti spyware betal" you have to be so noobee to mix up a firewall with spyware scanners. You need:

1. A good firewall (google "zonealarm free")
2. A good Anti-Virus (google "avg free")
3. Several spyware scanner/cleaner applications (like A-Squared, Adaware Pe, and spybot search&destroy and all have free versions)

Zonealarm and grisoft (avg) have pay for versions as well as free versions and I don't blame them for kind of hiding the free versions so you will buy instead. If you visit their sites it will be difficult to find the free one but if you google "Avg free" it will get you to the page and the same for ZoneAlarm.

Finally, you should never be connected to the internet for even a minute without a firewall, so disconnect physically when you uninstall Norton and install whatever you choose. Before you start, google "remove symantec completely" and look for a link to the symantec page for their removal tool. People have had great difficulty when uninstalling Norton because they don't go willingly. If any traces are left of it, your system could become buggy when they conflict with your new software.

UntamedDarknes
04-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I use avast to protect me from viruses but the problem that I have found with zone alarm is it does protect you but I have had problems with it when I download music it makes the music Skippy and horrible...

Virtualbody1234
04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Zonealarm and grisoft (avg) have pay for versions as well as free versions and I don't blame them for kind of hiding the free versions so you will buy instead. If you visit their sites it will be difficult to find the free one...

That's why I posted a direct download link to the free version earlier in this thread.

fz_shurtugal
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I really am a noob in all this spyware stuff......

1. A good firewall (google "zonealarm free")
2. A good Anti-Virus (google "avg free")
3. Several spyware scanner/cleaner applications (like A-Squared, Adaware Pe, and spybot search&destroy and all have free versions)

that makes alot more sense......are all the extra spyware scanner/ cleaner applications neccesarry though?......

linkintek06
04-08-2007, 05:53 AM
fz_shurtugal, no worries, you can download firewalls, av, and anti-spyware programs without having to pay (though you pay for these programs but youll get them for free from this site http://www.nsaneproductions.com/?page=apps/security) just go there and you wont have any problem

TorrenTy
04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Free AVG Antirvius + Zonealarm Pro = maximum security.

Proved since 6 years of daily net use.

alesarmin
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
nod32-best antivirus
Zonealarm Pro-best firewall
counterspy-best anti-spyware
TrojanHunter- best anti-trojan

this is the maximum security but you should also get System mechanic so it can recover your system from errors and etc...

Appzalien
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Even the experts say that having several spyware scanners is a good idea. No one scanner will find everything and each has its own qualities, so running four or five is a good idea. Unlike a firewall or anti-virus, you can run as many spyware apps as you like, they don't really conflict with each other like anti-virus and firewalls do. The type of spyware app that prevents the initial installation of spyware (webroot spysweeper) is much better than one that scans for it after you have it but most of them cost money. Spyware Blaster is one free one that runs in the background but how good it is is a puzzle to me since its never once made a peep since I installed it. Spybot Search & Destroy also has an immunization function (preventative) but it needs to be manually reconfigured each time you update the definitions.