PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth manager with very specific settings needed… any suggestions?

delimare
04-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Here’s the scenario. Comcast offers a patent pending service called PowerBoost. How it works is like this: I pay for 8mb down and a little under 1mb up. PowerBoost will kick in and allow me to get double my download and upload speed (although I’ve clocked it at almost 30mb/s down and sometimes 3mb up) for a certain amount of bandwidth before it brings me back down to what I pay for. I’m not sure what the specifics are but it lasts for 15-30 seconds at a pop and then drops you back down to what you’re actually paying for. The PowerBoost WILL NOT kick in again until the amount of usage falls to a certain percent for a certain amount of time.

I download from newsgroups at around 10mb/s without PowerBoost and that is fine for me, plenty fast. I do upload the occasional torrent though here and there and it would be nice to have that PowerBoost most of the time. The only way I can imagine doing this is to find a program that will limit and then un-limit my upload minutes at a time.

Example: I’m uploading a 5 GB movie using uTorrent. I set the upload cap to 75kB/s and wait 5 minutes. When I select unlimited, my upload skyrockets to 300kB/s with PowerBoost. When that is finished and it falls back to 90kB/s I limit it to 75 once more for 5 minutes. When unlimited is again selected it will rocket back to the 300 mark until it exhausts itself and I need to rinse and repeat the procedure.

Since I don’t plan on sitting in front of my PC all day and repeating this every 5 minutes, I’m on the prowl for a program that might do this for me, something like a netlimiter but with minute increments. Are there any programs out there that could do this? It would just be nice to get that extra oomph out of my service if I can, especially when uploading larger files.

Storm
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
The PowerBoost WILL NOT kick in again until the amount of usage falls to a certain percent for a certain amount of time.
now, im asuming here that they made it so that you will efectively NEVER get a higher speed that you pay for, since you can only use the PB if you speed drops.

lets assume the guys at comcast arent that fast though:

without the PB you have an upload of 90 KiB/s

with the PD trick you get (aprox):
4,5 minuits low speed (75 KiB/s), then 0,5 min high speed (300 KiB/s)
thats ((4,5 *75) + (0,5* 300))/5= (337,5 + 150)/5 = 97.5 KiB/s

even IF you find a prog that will do this, i seriously doubt it will give you any benefit. As you can see here, the theoretical speed advantage you're getting is not even a double digit percentage (this is assuming you only have to wait 4,5 min to get another PB kick, if you have to wait longer then it will actually slow you down)