PDA

View Full Version : File corruption from FAT32 to NTFS?

Shiranai_Baka
04-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I was just wondering if it'll corrupt files or do something to programs if I were to convert a FAT32 drive to an NTFS.

SHUVT
04-08-2007, 06:08 PM
You should not have any problems unless you are running MAC based software. Fat32 is universal and NTFS is more specific to MS I believe. You should not have any problems with re particianing your drive to NTFS. Is this a slave drive or a primary?

Storm
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
slave or primary wont matter, and the whole thing will go without a problem at all....... in theory. however there is always a small chance something will go wrong. backup important data if you really wanna be sure

actually FAT has been developed by MS, as was NTFS, but MS has given te specifications for FAT, whilest they hold NTFS' a secret (which is why NTFS is the only OS that supports NTFS)

SHUVT
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I also found that if you intend to transfer a single file larger than 4gb you can not do it in the FAT format. I just purchased a 500gb mybook and couldn't figure out why it gave me not enough memory message everytime I tried to move a dvdr image over to it. So I had to reformat to NTFS and no problems now.

Ludvig
04-10-2007, 02:05 AM
I also found that if you intend to transfer a single file larger than 4gb you can not do it in the FAT format. I just purchased a 500gb mybook and couldn't figure out why it gave me not enough memory message everytime I tried to move a dvdr image over to it. So I had to reformat to NTFS and no problems now.

That's just great ! :angry:
I'm exactly in the same case.I was targetting a WD 250 Go external drive.SHUVT,how much space did you loose in the process ?

Shiranai_Baka
04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
slave or primary wont matter, and the whole thing will go without a problem at all....... in theory. however there is always a small chance something will go wrong. backup important data if you really wanna be sure

actually FAT has been developed by MS, as was NTFS, but MS has given te specifications for FAT, whilest they hold NTFS' a secret (which is why NTFS is the only OS that supports NTFS)

Lol well its one of my uncle's PCs at his pharmacy. That thing is still using FAT32 and it gets VERY annoying when you have to install something, reboot and do that checkdisk thing that takes FOREVER. I tried canceling and it reboots and does it again I believe. They have loads of medical records and stuff on there and no time to back it all up so thats why I wanted to know if it'll fuck up the system.

Either way, I guess its way too risky.