PDA

View Full Version : Computer Broked :(

Morque
04-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I went to turn on my computer the other day. I hit the switch and the lights came on, fans spinning and all, but the monitor didn't do anything. This had happened a few times before that week and it worked fine after I turned it off and back on, so I tried that. It didnt work :cry:. When I turned it back on, same problem. I get no video at all to my monitor. Not even the bios screen or anything.

Im thinking because it seemed to be having the same problem before that may have been an indication of the PS going bad? idk
Ive tried reseating the ram, the hd and the vid card and nothing has helped.

any ideas?

PS: Mobo is a DFI Lanparty 925x-t2 (I think)

clocker
04-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Power supply.
And motherboard...maybe.

killuminati96
04-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Try switching to onboard video (take out ur graphics card) and see if you see a picture. If you do then it's your card.

Barbarossa
04-10-2007, 11:33 AM
maybe you've got a bad monitor.

clocker
04-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Try switching to onboard video (take out ur graphics card) and see if you see a picture. If you do then it's your card.
None of the Lanparty boards have onboard video.

mahaya
04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
if you have some bipping when you start the computer, you can check with the motherboard guide what does it means...
else just chek another monitor or a video card from a friend before you buy a new one....
i don't think it's the ps because you said the computer lights are on....

clocker
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
That means nothing.
I routinely have to replace PSUs that will spin the fans and turn on LEDs yet fail to POST the motherboard.
Two today, in fact.

mahaya
04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
That means nothing.
I routinely have to replace PSUs that will spin the fans and turn on LEDs yet fail to POST the motherboard.
Two today, in fact.

Yet i think it's easier to check the rest first...

lynx
04-10-2007, 11:57 PM
That means nothing.
Two today, in fact.

Yet i think it's easier to check the rest first...Yes, it may be easier (though I don't see how), but it is less likely to find the fault.

Rule number one in hardware maintenance - check the most obvious components first.

Morque
04-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm hoping its the power supply because thats prtty much the last thing I can try. I just tried a diff video card and had the same problem. The motherboard has diagnostic LEDs that supposedly mean "initializing usb." but those only go on when i first turn the computer on, off then on again. Really weird, lol. Whatever, lol. I ordered a new PS from newegg so now all I can do is wait. Thanks for all the help :) ill keep you posted on how it works out.

On a good note, I was going through this old computer and noticed that it has kotor on it. I never beat that game because I never had time, but I guess now I can go ahead and give it a play through. :D

mahaya
04-11-2007, 10:54 AM
goodluck, hope the problem will be solved :)

clocker
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Rule number one in hardware maintenance diagnostics - check the most obvious components first.
Fixed.:P

Lynx is absolutely correct though- if the PC stops powering up, it's most likely the PSU, no matter if the fans spin or LEDs light up.
Manufacturers cut every corner they can and the PSU is the one component that will screw you most often.

If you're lucky, when it fails it doesn't take anything with it but approximately half the time, it does.
@Morque...you really should have tried to beg/borrow a PSU to see if that alone solves your problem- what will you do if it doesn't?
Anyway, good luck.

BTW...the first step in a diagnosis should be a visual inspection.
Specifically, the capacitors scattered all over the motherboard.
There was an industry wide plague of substandard caps several years ago that has now come home to roost- any sign of bulging and/or leaking and you need a new mobo.
Rarely do I see cabling that has just worked it's way loose (SATA cables would be the most likely since they suck big time but even they are usually dislodged when fumbling around the case interior) and most of the mis-seated cards are from rough handling during transport to the shop.