PDA

View Full Version : It Won't Play Some Wav Files!?!?!?!

Benigroom
06-02-2003, 02:48 PM
windows media player encountered an unknown error
winamp - missing codec

http://www.benigroom.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/grrrrrr.JPG

this is the file type - my comp will play wav's but not any of this type!
Help me - need this codec?!?!

but these wavs will play in cooledit?!?!?!?

:(

ilw
06-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Its a purely speculative guess, but maybe the compression thing? Or maybe the game people have done something to it so that u can't copy their sound bites?

Benigroom
06-02-2003, 11:58 PM
it's not that i'm trying to rip the wav's (that i can do) but i cannot play the wavs in winamp/media player OR THE GAME :(

Somebody1234
06-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Does your sound work at all on your system? If that's the case then this belongs in Softwareworld.

balamm
06-03-2003, 12:34 AM
I got the same errors from some sample .wav files last night in WMP. Nothing would make them play. tried Real player, irfan view, and every other player on my system. Nero wave editor just said there was an unknown error and wouldn't open them. I dunno what the hell they are????

h1
06-03-2003, 01:42 AM
try reinstalling sound card drivers? but im baffled because sound works selectively on ur pcs

balamm
06-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Actually, Real player even downloaded new codecs before giving me the error message that the extension might be incorrect or the file corrupt. The program they're from works fine but nothing else will open them.
I checked properties and it all looks ok there?????

I have all the WMP Codecs and the k-lite codec pack installed so one of my players should be able to open these.