PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get annoyed when a show gets cancelled?

ArchStanton
04-14-2007, 05:48 AM
In recent weeks I found out that Kidnapped and 3lbs have both been cancelled. Both shows were excellent and I don't feel they were given much of a chance.

Are there any shows which you were sorry to see end or which you think were cancelled prematurely?

weenden
04-14-2007, 02:09 PM
yes yes and yes it ticks me off to no end

L3ST
04-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I got rly annoyed when they canceled Day Break, even if it the script wasn't that good it was kinda fun to watch and Brent's girl was HOT :D

killuminati96
04-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I couldn't believe it when they cancelled Futurama. That show was awesome.

DemonicFire
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Another show that they cancelled was John Doe. Really ticked me off. Most of the reason why they cancelled it was because the main character in the series went and started playing in Prison Break, which is why I don't watch Prison Break.

Busyman™
04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Another show that they cancelled was John Doe. Really ticked me off. Most of the reason why they cancelled it was because the main character in the series went and started playing in Prison Break, which is why I don't watch Prison Break.

That's weird since the shows came out 3 years apart.:huh:

They were both Fox shows at that.

vidcc
04-14-2007, 10:23 PM
While I can see how a certain favorite show being canceled can be disappointing, it's probably better than have your show become stagnant due to lack of new story lines or ideas.

DemonicFire
04-14-2007, 10:48 PM

Really? When I looked up John Doe, it said the season was over in 2004. And when I looked up Prison Break, it said that they started recordeing it in 2004:ermm:

kalel
04-14-2007, 11:47 PM
annoyed? LOL you have no idea. our world has come to REALITY SHOWS, EXAMPLE, The OC great show cancelled, The Black Donneleys cancelled, no one wants drama anymore thats not real. They wanna see real people doin stupid things for money. Why this is is the same reason as everything else. The world is changing badly at an alarming rate.

ArchStanton
04-15-2007, 11:41 AM
While I can see how a certain favorite show being canceled can be disappointing, it's probably better than have your show become stagnant due to lack of new story lines or ideas.

I agree with you to a certain extent, some TV shows definitely only have a limited shelf life and can become stagnant (I believe it is know as jumping the shark).

I don't think this was the case with 3lbs or Kidnapped however because both shows were cancelled before either series had been fully aired. I just think it is annoying when a show doesn't even get a chance to become established.

Busyman™
04-15-2007, 05:34 PM

If I could get 7 years of a good show and have the 8th and 9th years be shit, I'd rather have that then just 4 good years of the show.

I agree with you to a certain extent, some TV shows definitely only have a limited shelf life and can become stagnant (I believe it is know as jumping the shark).

I don't think this was the case with 3lbs or Kidnapped however because both shows were cancelled before either series had been fully aired. I just think it is annoying when a show doesn't even get a chance to become established.

No one watched 3lbs and it got shit reviews. Kidnapped was decent but no one watched. The same I think happened with Vanished.

Kidnapped and Vanished billed themselves as being 24-like and they weren't....at all.

Really? When I looked up John Doe, it said the season was over in 2004. And when I looked up Prison Break, it said that they started recordeing it in 2004:ermm:

John Doe's last episode aired on April 25, 2003.:dry:

Prison Break premiered Aug. 29, 2005.

I remember watching Firefly and John Doe around the same time period but John Doe lasted longer.

As a matter of fact they came on back-to-back on Friday night which was horrible for ratings.

DefX
04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
One not-so-recent show that got cancelled that made lots of folks miserable is "Freaks and Geeks".

One friend of mine is still grieving about it.

Cheese
04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
It's sad when a show is cancelled before its story is told (ie Firefly) but some shows just go on for too long and taint what was a good show. 24 and Lost are pale shadows of their former glory now. Same for Family Guy, Simpsons, and Scrubs. Angel and Buffy (two of my favourites) outstayed their welcomes by about two series each as well.

Commercially it all makes sense (flog the dead horse until not enough people are watching to sell ad space, etc) but artisically you're left with too much filler and no killer.

Busyman™
04-15-2007, 06:32 PM
It's sad when a show is cancelled before its story is told (ie Firefly) but some shows just go on for too long and taint what was a good show. 24 and Lost are pale shadows of their former glory now. Same for Family Guy, Simpsons, and Scrubs. Angel and Buffy (two of my favourites) outstayed their welcomes by about two series each as well.

Commercially it all makes sense (flog the dead horse until not enough people are watching to sell ad space, etc) but artisically you're left with too much filler and no killer.

The problem is that usually the opinions of those that think the shows stink are in hindsight and of the minority.

I imagine there were many that thought the X-Files should have stopped much earlier (it lasted 9 yrs) or that CSI should have been cut already (it's in it's 7th year and this one is absolutely awesome).

You say flog a dead horse but obviously it isn't dead.

Now there are shows that were just absolute masterpieces like Babylon 5 (my favorite sci-fi series ever) but I wouldn't rule out someone making a Babylon 6 if the story was right.

I'm pissed that the Crusade wasn't finished. I wanted to know more about the Apocalypse Box and whatnot.:angry:

Cheffy
04-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Seems like more and more are expected of the shows.
Perhaps become its easier selling expensive commercials to a brand now show, and the if the show gets bad ratings the commercial value falls.
But it pisses me off that they start like 10 new shows that get cut right in the middle, whiteout any ending what so ever. Just ops, sorry you did not not 500million viewers on your pilot, guess we have to cut you in 3 or 4 more eps, and another show can take your spot instead.
My nightmare was Farscape, it did not get its final season, it was suppose to end after 5 seasons, and season for ended with "To be continued" But thankfully the made peacekeeper wars. But i think it would have been alot better to get the entire series.

mr. nails
04-17-2007, 04:47 AM
only shows that "annoyed" myself for being cancelled was like said futurama when we ALL should know by now that the simpsons shoulda been cancelled 10 years ago. that show is crap now. and the like said again is firefly. i dug that film. as for that i don't really watch tv for it's mostly all crap soap operas.

Snee
04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly are shows I'd have liked to have had some closure on.

At least Firefly became a movie (and hopefully eventually a series of movies at that).

Another thing I hate when it comes to cancellations, are the shows that aren't allowed to run at all, just one pilot and then that's it. I still think Global Frequency could have worked, for instance.

Also: it's one thing to have your favourite show cancelled, and quite another to have the story left hanging on top of the cancellation. The latter sucks pretty badly.

Busyman™
04-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly are shows I'd have liked to have had some closure on.

At least Firefly became a movie (and hopefully eventually a series of movies at that).

Another thing I hate when it comes to cancellations, are the shows that aren't allowed to run at all, just one pilot and then that's it. I still think Global Frequency could have worked, for instance.

Also: it's one thing to have your favourite show cancelled, and quite another to have the story left hanging on top of the cancellation. The latter sucks pretty badly.

Thanks for reminding me. I going to get Space Above & Beyond on DVD....that and Earth 2.

Ghent
04-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Firefly!

WHRST
04-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Firefly!

that was fox problem, they screwed up the ep order

Busyman™
04-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Firefly!

that was fox problem, they screwed up the ep order

What's funny is that I didn't hear an uproar for the show went it was cancelled.

As I said before, it and John Doe were on on Friday which is an absolute horrible time for a show in America.

People like to go out on Friday evenings and not sit at home in front of a television. This is why Sunday evening is great. People like to relax before going back to work. Saturday is THE absolute worst day (unless it's a marquee boxing match).

Summer sucks since a show has to compete with recreation/vacationers.

Cheese
04-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Fox fucked Firefly from the get-go, I'm not suprised it had low ratings.

The Onion A.V. Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_A.V._Club) cited several actions by the FOX network that contributed to the show's failure, most notably the fact that FOX aired the episodes out of chronological order, making the plot more difficult to follow.[59] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29#_note-36) For instance, the two-hour episode "Serenity" was intended to be the series' premiere episode, and therefore contained most of the character introductions and back-story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-story). However, FOX decided that "Serenity" was unsuitable to open the series, and the episode, "The Train Job", was specifically created to act as a new pilot.[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29#_note-ttjc1) In addition, Firefly was promoted as an action (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_film)-comedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_film) rather than the more serious character study it was intended to be, and Variety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_%28magazine%29) magazine highlighted Fox's decision to occasionally preempt the show for sporting events.[57] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29#_note-variety)

The good has outed obviously in this case (I loved this story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm):happy: ), which is nice.

DV8type
04-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Hell yeah, i get pissed especially when the ending isnt satisfying....I was hella disapointed when HBO decided not to continue Deadwood and now Rome. I wanted to punch a couple of the executives

Wolf
04-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I wish The Sopranos could go on forever but alas no.

Colt Seevers
04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Threshold (http://www.tv.com/threshold/show/32983/summary.html?q=Threshold&tag=search_results;title;0), and Blade (http://www.tv.com/blade/show/22167/summary.html?q=blade&tag=search_results;title;0)... R.I.P. Two shows which I think bought the bullet after one season... pitty, ok sometimes the plots where a bit ropey and they may not have been to everyones expectations but I did kinda look forward to watching them. :(

Maybe it was bit torrent that killed them!?! Probably just a combo of bad acting, crap story arcs and low viewing figures tbh... :( But If the Execs could see the amount of times those shows were getting downloaded I'm sure there could have been some kinda reprive, but alas.. Shows like Farscape (http://www.tv.com/farscape/show/1029/episode_listings.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=episodessh&tag=episodes;more) get 5 fucking seasons!!111!1! :angry:

Some fat talentless TV exec decided to let the axe swing... I would have a at least given Threshold another season... it started well, where as Blade was just comedy gold! :D

Also I will be pleasantly suprised to see if The Dresden Files (http://www.tv.com/the-dresden-files/show/50381/summary.html?q=dresden%20files&tag=search_results;title;0) will make it to Season 2, I hope. :ermm:

whoiam
04-19-2007, 01:57 AM
It is the worst when the networks cut the show early so it doesn't even get to finish the season like it was intended to from the start of the season.

I also hate that it is all about the money, 4 million viewers is not enough they need 8 million or the show gets cut half way.

General2k
04-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Star Trek: The Original Series.
They were way before my time, but TOS are the only ones I like. The rest of the series, are all too.... Trekkie?

r9batista
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
I really get pissed off when that happens escpecially The OC great show cancelled

and I am scared that it would happen to prison break or lost

cmitch525
04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I really wish Arrested Development was not cancelled

99shassan
04-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I've just started watching tru calling, seems to be a good show that shouldn't have been cancelled.

emsee
04-21-2007, 08:59 PM
I hate when they cancle shows :(

magsimus
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I was REALLY upset when Futurama got cancelled! That's about the only one I can think of. Fox never really gave it a chance to survive.

Skengeboy
04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
To be a little offtopic, does anybody know if The Boondocks has been cancelled?

Busyman™
04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
To be a little offtopic, does anybody know if The Boondocks has been cancelled?

It has not been cancelled. I think it comes back in June or September.

Agent47
04-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Annoyed and Sad :(

//Agent47

ArchStanton
04-27-2007, 11:30 PM

No one watched 3lbs and it got shit reviews. Kidnapped was decent but no one watched. The same I think happened with Vanished.

Kidnapped and Vanished billed themselves as being 24-like and they weren't....at all.

I think you are right, ultimately that is what it boils down to - reviews and more importantly ratings - but it doesn't make it any easier (for me anyway) to accept.

ven0m
04-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Another show that they cancelled was John Doe. Really ticked me off.

Man that pissed me off sooo much! John Doe was really a bloody good show. They did a whole season, left it on such an amazing cliffhanger and then cancelled it! What a waste of time for those who followed it! They apparently cancelled it because it wasn't getting tonnes of viewers. And the reason for that was the time it used to air. At the time it was airing at the same time as friends and another popular serial as far as I can remember so its ratings were low. But people loved that show man. It was a bad decision on their part.

Another one they cancelled on a cliffhanger was Tru Calling, again after one full season. They were a few others they cancelled too that were good. Its so annoying and a shame that viewers don't get to vote for it or something!

:dabs:

merdek
04-29-2007, 05:58 AM
yeah, that sucks. Drive is the latest victim after 4 episodes, what is the point making the show anyway if it is canceled after only 4 eps

hiub713
04-30-2007, 06:31 AM

That was so unfair. they even won the emmy for best comedy 2 years in a row. gaaad. :(

I've just started watching tru calling, seems to be a good show that shouldn't have been cancelled.

Eliza Duschku :drools:

livelysory
04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
it`s very bad when our favourite shows are cancelled

Friendly Fire
05-05-2007, 12:55 AM

Now, there's an amazing show. At least it survived 3 seasons. Which is more than many of the new shows (granted that many of them nowadays are crappy) can speak of.

That's were i get ticked off. Some shows are really god and dont get more than a handful of episodes. They dont stand a chance. I was really angered with the cancelling of the black donnellys in favor of another stupid reality show. Some of the best episodes i've seen in a long time are buried in webcasts only. What a shame.

Saroman
05-14-2007, 07:16 PM
I got very frustrated wen Daybreak got cancelled..!!

and now Donnellys Brothers got cancelled..!! :x

Colt Seevers
05-16-2007, 12:21 AM
I see Jericho has been cancelled.... CBS :censored: ! :angry:

Jericho has been cancelled (http://jerichoboard.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=2926&nav=messages&webtag=CBSMBJericho)

:swear:

Smith
05-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Arrested Development was a hilarious show..fox dropped it :(

JA
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM

Jericho has been cancelled (http://jerichoboard.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=2926&nav=messages&webtag=CBSMBJericho)

:frusty:I love jericho...

Also loved firefly, kyle XY and Blade: The series...:frusty::frusty:

Stupid TV networks!

Saroman
11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
yeah, that sucks. Drive is the latest victim after 4 episodes, what is the point making the show anyway if it is canceled after only 4 eps

Seriosly i loved Drive...It was something different...Innovative and Interesting..:(

And now its ending is mystery..

Anyways are there any good shows that ended but were aired online..

like Daybreak was...

Also Kidnapped was aired online..

Six Degrees, The Nine.. even these were good..

AmpeD
11-05-2007, 10:50 PM
*cough* Prison Break *cough*

DooMeD68
11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
it was a sad when they cancelled - john doe - nowhere man - killer instinct !
what one person says is a good show another thousand will say it was crap show !!

Grind$oFine
11-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I was pretty upset when Dead Like Me got canceled, that was a fantastic show.
Freaks & Geeks was another one that hit me hard.

It was terrible to see the The Sopranos go, especially with THAT finale... but at least you can still go back and watch A LOT of old episodes.

My mom was horrified when Deadwood was canceled... I never watched it. :idunno:

IceTee
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM

+1 :angry:

svr
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM

+1 :angry:

Will it ever come back?

Aaxel21
12-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I was when they cancelled Firefly