PDA

View Full Version : hard drive problem

The_Hunter
04-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I have a 160 gig seagate ide drive. Its been beeping and not working all the time, so took to computer shop he said it was stuffed. Brought it home and connected it to second ide cable and its worked since. Could it be something is wrong that it beeps because it was the main drive. Is there a program i can test with or fix any errors

S!X
04-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a 160 gig seagate ide drive. Its been beeping and not working all the time, so took to computer shop he said it was stuffed. Brought it home and connected it to second ide cable and its worked since. Could it be something is wrong that it beeps because it was the main drive. Is there a program i can test with or fix any errors

Download seatools for windows from here (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools) and run all of the tests if you can, and see what they report.

zapjb
04-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Bad IDE cable?

The_Hunter
04-15-2007, 12:10 AM
no cable 100% ok ...............tried seagate program didnt even pickup that i had a seagate drive

clocker
04-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Could it be something is wrong that it beeps because it was the main drive.
HDDs don't "beep".

What is actually making the noise/giving a warning code?

lynx
04-15-2007, 03:33 PM
It sounds suspiciously like you had more than one drive jumpered as the master drive, or one drive jumpered as master and another jumpered as cable select, with the drive set as cable select in the master position.

mjcooper
04-15-2007, 07:50 PM
If the unit is failing -- as may be indicated by the suggested tests above - many hard drives have a 3 year warranty. You can go the manufacturer home page and see the warrany status of your drive. You may be entitled to a free replacement (you pay postage to return failing unit).

The_Hunter
05-01-2007, 11:56 AM
well have had drive connected on second cable for nearly 2 weeks now still picking it up, but everything i copy to it then try to copy back to other drive comes up with: data error (cyclic redundancy check)

clocker
05-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Drive is borked.