PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP to be discontinued in early 2008

peat moss
04-14-2007, 03:42 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:mrOuLvEvcvW0RM:http://www.batkhela.com/wallpapers/9071/displaypics/pics/pic-3573.jpgMicrosoft's plan to phase out OEM shipments of Windows XP, the predecessor to the new Windows Vista platform, is not sitting well with some observers, based on Internet-driven feedback.

According to a Microsoft Life-Cycle Policy Web page, Microsoft plans to discontinue shipments of Windows XP to OEMs on January 31, 2008. The page also said retail licenses will be discontinued at that time. Editions affected include the Professional, Tablet PC, Professional x64, Home, and Media Center editions of XP.

Chatters on Silicon Valley.com cited issues with the suitability of Vista on existing machines and said they might just go to Linux instead.

"If Microsoft forces us to make a choice of Vista or Linux, they might just be unpleasantly surprised as to the choice many of us will make," one chatter wrote. "I am telling anyone who has not yet upgraded from Win 9x to XP that they had better do it right away because Vista will never run on their Win 98-era machine. If they don't upgrade to XP right away, they will have to switch to Linux. The only alternative to that is to throw away their computer and buy a brand new one!"

Another chatter said it was "time for enterprises to stock up on shrink-wrapped copies of XP Pro."

A chatter on the Direct2Dell site expressed similar reservations.

"I don't care how much you've tested your systems with Vista, it simply will not be enough," the chatter said "In the corporate world, there are countless applications that are going to fail miserably with Vista in offices that are standardized on XP Pro."

Dell on Direct2Dell said it plans to continue offering XP for now. "Dell recognizes the needs of small business customers and understands that more time is needed to transition to a new operating system. The plan is to continue offering Windows XP on select Dimension and Inspiron systems until later this summer," the company said.

In a statement, Microsoft acknowledged its Vista emphasis.

:source: Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070413/tc_infoworld/87681

After reading thought it was an April Fools joke as I thought it was good till 2014 ? The story date is Friday the 13 th tho . :ph34r:

With thanks to KLT .

tesco
04-14-2007, 03:56 PM
"I am telling anyone who has not yet upgraded from Win 9x to XP that they had better do it right away because Vista will never run on their Win 98-era machine. If they don't upgrade to XP right away, they will have to switch to Linux. The only alternative to that is to throw away their computer and buy a brand new one!"
BS. p2p. Or buy the disc at a garage sale or something. Or ebay. Or stores that may still be carrying copies (I've seen win95 a few years ago, and wasnt that discontinued a really long time ago?). Or get it from a friend. Or burn a copy of a friend's.:rolleyes:

peat moss
04-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Ross I thought it was a joke and spent more time searching this forum to see if it had already been posted than researching the flucking story it self . :lol:

Hairbautt
04-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I saw this and thought it was talking about XP support. :dabs: I was still looking forward towards SP3, but its not so.../death evaded

SaveFerris
04-14-2007, 05:30 PM
That's silly.

killuminati96
04-14-2007, 08:16 PM
What I'm getting from this is Microsoft isn't pleased with the low sales of Vista so they are forcing everybody to buy it by not making new copies of XP. :dry:

Virtualbody1234
04-14-2007, 08:25 PM
What I'm getting from this is Microsoft isn't pleased with the low sales of Vista so they are forcing everybody to buy it by not making new copies of XP. :dry:Exactly. They don't seem to want to admit that they could possibly create a product that flops. Who us??? :no2: :snooty:

donnied
04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know how this compares with previous Microsoft OS releases? Competitor's?

peat moss
04-14-2007, 08:51 PM
@VB , you mean a product that they can't secure or stop the prirate key's ?

Virtualbody1234
04-14-2007, 10:01 PM
@VB , you mean a product that they can't secure or stop the prirate key's ?

Yes. At least that.

S!X
04-14-2007, 11:00 PM
If vista's SP1 does it any justice, it'll take XP over by storm..... so I could see why this would happen.

Virtualbody1234
04-15-2007, 01:00 AM
If vista's SP1 does it any justice, it'll take XP over by storm..... so I could see why this would happen.

It's possible that the SP1 will fix things but I also see the possibility that Vista is just a flop.

Delorean
04-15-2007, 07:26 AM
I think I will just save money and get myself a Mac. Besides until 2009-2010 programs and Games etc will still be Supported by XP. I think by then Mac will be able to install on Intel hardware too.

Virtualbody1234
04-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I think I will just save money and get myself a Mac.

That just makes no sense. :noes:

Linux would be a better choice for that.

TorrenTy
04-15-2007, 11:56 AM
they want just money by stopping supporting xp in order that all the millions Xp useres MUST/HAVE to up grade to Vista = Milliards of $$$$ .... silly

Delorean
04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I think I will just save money and get myself a Mac.

Nah, it does. I like Mac more than Linux. And to be honest, I don't really like Linux :pinch:

But if by then Linux get better than Mac that much, I will Consider Linux too!

Virtualbody1234
04-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Nah, it does. I like Mac more than Linux. And to be honest, I don't really like Linux :pinch:

I was referring to your "save money" comment. A Mac won't save you money.

LegendaryU2K
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
hahaha silly, real silly. Me and my wife have a xp computer that we use only for business, and thats cool. But i use my windows 98 se for everything, gaming, internet and other business.

I'm either going to upgrade to xp from windows 98 se or just buy a gaming xp center. As for this Vista OS, i'm not even thinking about it, and most likely i wont buy it until like 8 years from now.

People think everyone is going to make a new switch to all this new stuff, ha not me.

Peace.

peat moss
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM

I was referring to your "save money" comment. A Mac won't save you money.

No probably cost a little more , is it worth it ? I do'nt know one day I may find out . :unsure:

brotherdoobie
04-16-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm running 98 now...fecking Vista!

bd

Laxxonn
04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
fck M$!! I hate them!!

Athl0nXP
04-17-2007, 06:53 AM
OMG, Noooooooo.... I hate Vista :(.

wishmaster2
04-17-2007, 07:42 AM
i didn't know that people still use windows 98!!! i am xp user and before that i was using windows 2000 pro...i never liked 98:P btw i tried vista few days ago but i didn't like them...the design is good and the colors and everything but they had a lot problems with the softwares...for example i had problems with mozilla firefox...i will try vista in a year from now...when they fix some problems...

doitnow
04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
we are living in an age of information. this beast called longhorn, will give the bavarian illuminati all the information they need, to dominate the world. can you think of a sane reason why they would want to discontinue and operating system that has made so much money and been more a success than any of their other operating systems to date? because longhorn contains unremovable data collecting features, that they wanted to include in xp but weren't able to at the time xp was released. so their hellchild will do they job. they will leave you no choice but to upgrade.

if you have access to an american dollar bill, you can look at the back of it, what is written in latin.

it reads "annuit coeptis"

this means "year of conception"

1776 was the year it started anew, the final thrust towards the new world order.

below it reads "novus ordo seclorum"

this means "new secular order" a blatant reference to the new world order.

Barbarossa
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
we are living in an age of information. this beast called longhorn, will give the bavarian illuminati all the information they need, to dominate the world. if you have access to an american dollar bill, you can look at the back of it, what is written in latin.

it reads "annuit coeptis"

this means "year of conception"

1776 was the year it started anew, the final thrust towards the new world order.

below it reads "novus ordo seclorum"

this means "new secular order" a blatant reference to the new world order.

Nigel? :blink:

doitnow
04-18-2007, 06:42 PM
i don't know who you are, but if you want more information yo u can try this .

Spam your own post please and than you .

albcoe
04-21-2007, 11:03 AM
For me i intend to keep using xp at least for 2 more years, until them all the bugs in Vista will be solved (i hope):rolleyes:

digmen1
04-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi Guys

I saw on BBC news.com the other day that Dell ran a survey of its customers and in response has decided to offer 4 machines (2 desk tops) and 2 lap tops with Windows XP.

What a slap in the face fro Vista !

Regards

Digby

dedlikeoscar
04-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I really don't think I will be using Vista. I've been dual booting XP and Linux the last couple of years and now that I have uTorrent running under Linux I have little use for XP. Of course from a tech standpoint I will probably have to buy it anyway so I am comfortable running it.