PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Dreaming

sk8punk151
06-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I recently dedicated some useless time of mine looking up info on lucid dreaming because the thought of doing something like that sounded kool.. I've only been able to do it twice sucessfully.. Anyone else do it? What are your techniques and rituals before you go to sleep to make your lucid experience better?

J'Pol
06-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Like yourself I have managed this a few times.

One good technique is to get into the habit of checking if you are awake, whilst you are awake. Think about trying to float for example.

Once it is a habit then you will do it whilst dreaming and realise that you are dreaming. If you feel the lucidity leaving you then for some reason spinning in the dream apparently helps.

To those who don't know. Lucid dreaming is becoming conscious that you are dreaming. You can then do things like fly. It sounds really wierd but it can be done and is quite an experience. It's almost a Matrix like thing.

TheDave
06-02-2003, 10:30 PM
is that the out of body experience thing

Guillaume
06-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Happened to me once or twice, but I never mastered the technique.Will try it your way Jpaul...

J'Pol
06-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by TheDave@2 June 2003 - 23:30
is that the out of body experience thing
No it's becoming aware that you are dreaming, while you are still dreaming.

It gives you conscious control over the dream. However it's not as if you have total control, more of an awareness that you can do anything you want.

TheDave
06-02-2003, 10:41 PM
oh i get that its well cool.
oh thats how its like the matrix, sometimes im stuck and i think hmmm i could do with a something and its in my hand. im not sure if i realise before or after it happens but it gets cool then.

i didnt know it had a name, i thought it was just a normal thing.

but you get kinda depressed in the mornin when you realise you dont got everything in the world

MagicNakor
06-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Just fall and miss the ground.

:ninja:

J'Pol
06-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@3 June 2003 - 00:30
Just fall and miss the ground.

Particularly after a close escape from Agrajag, whilst a moutain is trying to fall on you, It helps if you also notice the lasb bottle of ..... oh never mind.

TheDave
06-03-2003, 12:20 AM
i had one of those dreams where your falling but i didnt wake up. i landed face-first on some jaggered shingley rocks then i realised and did it again

sk8punk151
06-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by JPaul@2 June 2003 - 23:28
One good technique is to get into the habit of checking if you are awake, whilst you are awake. Think about trying to float for example.

Once it is a habit then you will do it whilst dreaming and realise that you are dreaming. If you feel the lucidity leaving you then for some reason spinning in the dream apparently helps.
Yeah, thats really the only way of mastering lucid dreaming that I know of. I wonder if those machines they sell on the internet really work. If you don't know what I am talking about I am talking about some of the stuff they sell at lucid dreaming sites. I saw these gogles that flash a red light in your eye at a precise time while sleeping. I have no idea how it works, but supposidly if the light hits ur eyes at the exact time you hit deep sleep something triggers you so that you know your dreaming, thus you become lucid.. Pretty interesting stuff..

mrtilley
06-03-2003, 01:25 AM
I do lucid pretty much every night; I can control my self in my dreams

when im asleep and I dream I will get half way thorugh and say this is dream then I can control it does any one else have the same control (im talking every night here)

sk8punk151
06-03-2003, 01:27 AM
How do you do that mrtilley? You must have some ritual or technique before you go to bed. Tell us what it is! lol

mrtilley
06-03-2003, 01:34 AM
not a ritual I think it must be alot of 10 shifts at works they send me into a deep sleep after i finsish visiting kazaa forums

Z
06-03-2003, 01:35 AM
either you guys are nuts, or youre on shrooms. either way, i want in. :P

edit: also, have you ever had sex with jessica alba? :lol:

Got_brains?
06-03-2003, 01:50 AM
Stop posting everywhere!

Z
06-03-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Got_memory?@2 June 2003 - 20:50
Stop posting everywhere!
stop getting off-topic! :lol:

Skweeky
06-03-2003, 02:25 AM
I love lucid dreaming. I do it to relax myself when I'm stressed. During exams by example.
My method: I hold something in my hand untill I fall asleep. When I am on the verge of falling asleep the thing in my hand threatens to fall on the floor.....At that moment I realize I am falling asleep and it's easy to control ur dreams then. The only thing you have to learn is NOT to wake up at that moment.

I try not to do it too often though, as lucid dreaming robs you of your ability to deal with the stuff you deal with in your real dreams...I once did it a few weeks in a row practically every night, and I really felt like I lacked sleep.

hobbes
06-03-2003, 02:43 AM
My classic example:

I dreamed I was in my bathroom, looking in the mirror. I turned around to hold onto my towel rack and for some reason I became aware that I might be dreaming.

I reasoned to myself that everytime I dream, books are jibberish. So I walked from the bathroom to my bookshelf and selected a random book. Made no sense.

I became aware that I was dreaming, yet I was fully concious. I walked to my apartment door and realized I could leave and do whatever I wanted.

That is as far as I can go, I just blended into another dream.

Once I realize it is a dream, I know I am "making it up", so it fizzles.

Anytime anything fantastic happens in a dream (flying, finding treaure, talking with Michael Jordan) my concious mind calls bullshit and the fun is over. I wish I could just let it flow.

Do you guys ever have sleep paralysis? That is when your eyes are open, you are fully concious, yet you cannot move your body. This is rather unpleasant for me. If you have never experienced it, you might not understand what I mean.

But for me, every night has a memorable event. I can almost always remember several dreams from the night before, and "yes" we do dream in color. I noticed this in one of my concious dreams, a friend was wearing a green shirt.

sk8punk151
06-03-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@3 June 2003 - 03:25
I love lucid dreaming. I do it to relax myself when I'm stressed. During exams by example.
My method: I hold something in my hand untill I fall asleep. When I am on the verge of falling asleep the thing in my hand threatens to fall on the floor.....At that moment I realize I am falling asleep and it's easy to control ur dreams then. The only thing you have to learn is NOT to wake up at that moment.
I like that idea.. So do you think by like holding a remote control in my hand while my hand is dangling off of my bed would work? I think the reason why I cant lucid every night for the most part is because I am a bad insomniac and consume almost 1000 mg of caffeine a day (10 cups of coffee) which I have been informed, is really bad for me...

sk8punk151
06-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Nice.. For me when I found out I was lucid dreaming in one of my dreams was when a couple of my friends and I snuck out and were really stoned (in my dream? lol) We were smokin and we saw a cop so we ran, but while I was running it felt like I was running like 50 mph.. It was crazy, then I concluded that this must be a dream because I had no record of how I got there, what time it was, or even what the date was.. Once I had realized this I practiced lucid skills such as flying and gliding.. It was really fun, but after about 10 mins I woke up in a pool of sweat.. (i hate that).. I read somewhere that when your dream 'fizzles' like that, your supposed to rub your hands togetther in your dream.. I guess this keeps your 'dream brain' awake or something.. i duno

Skweeky
06-03-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by sk8punk151+3 June 2003 - 03:45--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sk8punk151 @ 3 June 2003 - 03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Skweeky@3 June 2003 - 03:25
I love lucid dreaming. I do it to relax myself when I&#39;m stressed. During exams by example.
My method: I hold something in my hand untill I fall asleep. When I am on the verge of falling asleep the thing in my hand threatens to fall on the floor.....At that moment I realize I am falling asleep and it&#39;s easy to control ur dreams then. The only thing you have to learn is NOT to wake up at that moment.
I like that idea.. So do you think by like holding a remote control in my hand while my hand is dangling off of my bed would work? I think the reason why I cant lucid every night for the most part is because I am a bad insomniac and consume almost 1000 mg of caffeine a day (10 cups of coffee) which I have been informed, is really bad for me... [/b][/quote]
I guess it could work, I usually hold a book....
BUt I think every needs to find his/her own trick to get into it...

Z
06-03-2003, 03:10 AM
wow you guys are serious. i need to try this. i would think if i became concious while dreaming, i would just wake up. when you guys wake up does it seem as if it really happened, like a real memory, or is it actually like you were dreaming, even if its just because the stuff that happened is abnormal?

isnt all this just like imagining or daydreaming while youre awake? how do you know youre actually asleep, not just thinking deeply about something?

Skweeky
06-03-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Z@3 June 2003 - 04:10
wow you guys are serious. i need to try this. i would think if i became concious while dreaming, i would just wake up. when you guys wake up does it seem as if it really happened, like a real memory, or is it actually like you were dreaming, even if its just because the stuff that happened is abnormal?

isnt all this just like imagining or daydreaming while youre awake? how do you know youre actually asleep, not just thinking deeply about something?
well....sometimes it feels like it was real...it can really brighten my day.
How I know I&#39;m asleep? Can u visually see yourself flying when you&#39;re wide awake or just thinking about something?

Z
06-03-2003, 03:19 AM
so it actually feels like youre in a dream? this is very cool.

has ne1 seen Vanilla Sky? terrible movie, but apparently "lucid dreaming" is a big part of it.

so if you can do whatever you want, have you stolen any ferraris yet?

can you make things pop out of mid-air, like in cartoons? omg, i need to master this... :P

Skweeky
06-03-2003, 03:20 AM
most of the time I dream of flying, that&#39;s fun. Other times I try to dream stories I&#39;ve read, that&#39;s cool too

hobbes
06-03-2003, 03:21 AM
How about naps, that is some intense sleep.

Have you ever awakened wondering if you are sleeping in, late for work/school, no idea what time of day it is?

My best nap EVER, I awoke and had no idea what my name was or where I was for about 2 minutes.

Imagine, not knowing your name, very weird feeling.

Z
06-03-2003, 03:21 AM
so what stops you from just waking up? isnt that what naturally happens when you become aware?

Z
06-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@2 June 2003 - 22:21
How about naps, that is some intense sleep.

Have you ever awakened wondering if you are sleeping in, late for work/school, no idea what time of day it is?

My best nap EVER, I awoke and had no idea what my name was or where I was for about 2 minutes.

Imagine, not knowing your name, very weird feeling.
this has nothing to do with it. but yes, i have had naps where i wake up not knowing what time it is. kinda shocks me for a sec until i see a clock. :lol:

if you dont know your name, it must have been a pretty harsh hangover, my man. :lol:

hobbes
Originally posted by Z@3 June 2003 - 04:21
so what stops you from just waking up? isnt that what naturally happens when you become aware?
I do wake up, darn it&#33;

Skweeky
yes, that is the natural reaction. You have to teach yourself not to have the reflex to wake up, that&#39;s the hard part. After that it&#39;s pretty simple

Wolfmight
06-03-2003, 03:25 AM
ah that is fun. Happend to me a few times and I felt like i was trapped in the dream in one of them.
Man what an experience. I was like trying to actually wake myself up&#33; yes&#33; and it was like soo hard to do.

n e 1 ever get this feeling?

I&#39;ve also had a dream were i thought i woke up (looked just like my room and everything..)
but, everything i thought would happen.. Happend&#33;&#33; lol freaky. Like I was thinking of walking outside and it was at the beach and all the sudden it was&#33; ... cant remember much of the rest

Z
06-03-2003, 03:28 AM
so how do you wake up? do you make yourself (like pinching) or it just happens? or it is like when something harsh happens, like you get punched in the face, or you fall and hit the ground or something like in a normal dream?

Skweeky
06-03-2003, 03:35 AM
....I just decide to wake up...in a way you control your consciousness

Z
06-03-2003, 03:39 AM
reading this...lucid dreaming faq (http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html) :P

hobbes
06-03-2003, 03:42 AM
Here is more on sleep paralysis..My Webpage (http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P2.html)

My favorite one is being in bed and having people at a carnival milling through my room and through the fabric of my bed.

All that other stuff about a presense and other worldliness is just crap from people trying to make something divine out of a weird mental experience.

Z
06-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@2 June 2003 - 22:42
Here is more on sleep paralysis..My Webpage (http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P2.html)

My favorite one is being in bed and having people at a carnival milling through my room and through the fabric of my bed.

All that other stuff about a presense and other worldliness is just crap from people trying to make something divine out of a weird mental experience.
the first part of that article scared me. i need something happy now. :P :D :lol: :) <<<smileys :w00t:

I.am
06-03-2003, 04:06 AM
I have always been interested in Lucid dreaming, but hardly was ever successfull.
Btw, why do you think we really want to do lucid dreaming? We can still think whatever we want and get it in imagination&#33;
Or else, I guess, Lucid dreaming is the closest you can get a dream to reality&#33;
What do you think? :unsure:

Z
06-03-2003, 05:03 AM
Lucid dreaming is the closest you can get a dream to reality&#33;
thats it. :P

sk8punk151
06-03-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@3 June 2003 - 04:25

I&#39;ve also had a dream were i thought i woke up (looked just like my room and everything..)
but, everything i thought would happen.. Happend&#33;&#33; lol freaky. Like I was thinking of walking outside and it was at the beach and all the sudden it was&#33; ... cant remember much of the rest
Thats called a False Awakening.. I have had those to. I have also had dreams when I dreamed my whole day and everything that happened in my dream actually happened in my real day.. Pretty scary shit.. I have also had dreams where I dream taht I just got back from school and I am really tired so I decided to take a nap. Right wen I lay on my bed (in my dream) to go to sleep I wake up in teh real world TIRED AS FUCK..

BTW, I suggest you all see the following movies because they all involve this subject

-Waking Life
-Donnie Darko
-Vanilla Sky (sucked, but was sort of interesting)

I.am
06-03-2003, 06:22 AM
Ever had the feeling when its hard to differentiate whether its a dream or reality&#33; Sometimes I would bet that I was awake and doing things at least seemed I was doing it but was actually nothing but a dream.
What happens after you see a dream? Does it go out of the sub-conscious, or is it possible the next night you sleep you would continue the dream you saw last? Now thats freaky&#33; It would be impossible to find out whether thats reality right there in the dream or the one here which you assume it is&#33;

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 07:55 AM
sometimes dreams become a freakish reality...

look at nightmare on elm street

guolung
06-03-2003, 08:12 AM
There is an old Chinese story of a Daoist Called Chuang Tzu.

He was sleeping one day,
And on wakening he said to a friend that he couldn&#39;t tell if he was a butterfly, dreaming he was a man.
Or or a man waking from dreaming he was a butterfly .

cool.

sk8punk151
06-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Was anyone able to lucid last night?? I didn&#39;t :( Maybe its because I was semi-drunk and I heard when your on the influence of any thing its harder to have dreams..

pyromonkey
06-04-2003, 01:06 AM
i have pulled off lucid dreams before... but i was unsuccessfull last night... the dream was much to ordinary, an i didn&#39;t realise it untill i woke up&#33;

i&#39;ll try again tonight&#33;&#33;

Skweeky
06-04-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@3 June 2003 - 04:42

erm....i&#39;ve had that too a few times, but I never felt a presence of some sort :lol: ........I was scared though....but I think that&#39;s pretty natural.

I didn&#39;t get to lucid last night...didn&#39;t try either, I was too tired....maybe today

hobbes
06-04-2003, 01:24 AM
For the rookie dreamers, here are my points for checking if you are in a dream.

1. Books make no sense.
2. Do you wear glasses/contacts, can you see without them in this dream
3. Are things where they are supposed to be, or where they used to be?
4. Are you smelling anything. Pick up something and smell it.
5. Ambient sounds, usually lacking in dreams.
6. Pain, pinch yourself.
7. For me, lights never work. This means "scary" dream.
8. Also, does your door swing open, despite locking it?
9. Are you talking with famous people.
10. Are you finding a dollar, then five, then 10, then money all over?

Lamsey
06-04-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Izzard
Why do you never dream normal things, like going to the shop to buy a Mars Bar?

It&#39;s always things like "you&#39;re being chased by aliens with big elbows and hairnet rays of death"... And then you go to a psychologist and he tells you it means something really mundane like "your parents didn&#39;t love you as a child" or something.

I bet if you went to a psychologist and said "I dreamt that I went and bought a Mars Bar" he&#39;d go "Aha, this means you&#39;re a martian with big elbows and you have a hairnet ray of death.....

I once dreamt that I was doing my paper round. Then I woke up and was really pissed &#39;cos I had to do it again for real and David Coulthard wasn&#39;t going to give me a £5000 tip this time... :(

MagicNakor
06-04-2003, 04:53 AM
I don&#39;t understand these people who say books make no sense.

Whenever there&#39;s books in my dreams, I can read them. They&#39;re in English. And they&#39;re usually very interesting. ;) And I usually remember what they said when I wake up.

clocker
06-04-2003, 04:55 AM
That&#39;s why you rule BookWorld, MN.

Z
06-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@3 June 2003 - 20:24
For the rookie dreamers, here are my points for checking if you are in a dream.

1. Books make no sense.
2. Do you wear glasses/contacts, can you see without them in this dream
3. Are things where they are supposed to be, or where they used to be?
4. Are you smelling anything. Pick up something and smell it.
5. Ambient sounds, usually lacking in dreams.
6. Pain, pinch yourself.
7. For me, lights never work. This means "scary" dream.
8. Also, does your door swing open, despite locking it?
9. Are you talking with famous people.
10. Are you finding a dollar, then five, then 10, then money all over?
ok if you have the ability to do these things in a dream, then obviously you are already able to think and are therefore aware that you are dreaming. normally in a dream you cant really think, to that extent neways. usually you are just observing something thats happening, even if you are in the first person point of view, and you can feel emotions such as fear. i dont think id ever get to a lucid dream, although it seems so tempting&#33; :P

MagicNakor
06-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by clocker@4 June 2003 - 05:55
That&#39;s why you rule BookWorld, MN.
:blink:

I didn&#39;t know I ruled BookWorld.

:devil: Time to establish an absolute monarchy. :devil:

TheDave
06-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@4 June 2003 - 04:53

Whenever there&#39;s books in my dreams, I can read them. They&#39;re in English. And they&#39;re usually very interesting. ;) And I usually remember what they said when I wake up.

i dont some stuffs like cardboard props in mine, not as in 2d but i could have a drink of jibberish and book and posters dont have writing or pictures on but i know what they are and what there reason is.

thegroggman
06-04-2003, 09:14 AM
LOL...i read the article one of you read about Lucid dreams...then that very night I had one, I was being chased by someone when I realized that this dream had already occured...I was in a dream...that I now had control of...then my damn clock went off <_<

DarkBlizzard
06-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@4 June 2003 - 04:53

Whever i try to read something in a dream its random letters and blurry and makes me confused and i dont know what im doing.....and......You all know u wanna have XXX in ur dream :lol:

MagicNakor
06-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Mmmm...no...not really. If I wanted that, I wouldn&#39;t have to dream about it. ;)

The last "book" I read in a dream was about Lenin. I think I&#39;m thinking too much about the Russian Revolution. :unsure:

TheDave
06-04-2003, 11:15 AM
hey i think i might have tip

if you dehydrate yourself before you goto bed then you sleep longer, i think thats why i can stay in them and i sleep in cos i dont drink much

ezyryder
06-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Lucid dreams are intresting, yeah. I sadly have an extreme case of ASP = Awarness During Sleep Paralasys. Few times everyweek my mind wakes before my body does - which is still paralysed in sleep mood - so I struggle to move and can&#39;t, often I can hear all going on arround me and aware someone is beside me so it is like im trying to move or scream to get someone to wake me, but I can&#39;t. Often this plays in my dreams too, I live an experience of dying and I need to alert this person but can&#39;t. God it&#39;s horrible.

However, it is easy enough to live lucid dreams you just have to think the night before about it then usualy it shall play in dreams. keep
practicing.

ps: A good test to see is to try walking through a wall or something impossible like that. Flight is a rarity, usualy symbolised by a sense of your mind having no "burdens" a quality we suffer to not have. DONT try and pinch yourself, often although your body may be paralysed to stop you sleep walking, but sometimes your fingers have sensation and you will wake yourself up.

hobbes
06-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@4 June 2003 - 05:53

I usually pick up my Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes compilations. The first few jokes are usually ok, but as I read on they become more confused and definitely not funny.

The thing that gets me is when I hear music I have never heard before, and it sounds good. If I could wake up and write it down, would I have a hit on my hands?

TheDave
06-04-2003, 01:33 PM
i had a dream where i wrote a really good song. then woke up and realised i left the radio on

crazy_billy_bats
06-04-2003, 01:41 PM
i used to have nightmares this fat guy i hated from school used to throw hard (cricket sized) balls at me in a large assembly hall/sports gym surrounding.

rather strange childhood i admit, but what the hey...

ToraBoraDweller
06-04-2003, 05:42 PM
This topic reminds me of the stuff I read by Carlos Castaneda (post-hippy)
He described several techniques to reach out-of-body experiences and
dreamcontrol .
According to his books it took him a lot of years (and mushrooms :D )
to accomplish this.

For myself :I like freedom in dreaming but realise the process serves also to get rid of
subconcious cobwebs in your mind. :sleeping:

insanebassman
06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
I do it all the time. It started as an accedent, and I began to explore. There are times I can "change the channel" when I see something comming I do not want to mess with. A psychotrickerest would have a feild day with that statement. Usually, I will simply hover above my dream self and watch what is going on. Some times, I stay in the dream becaus I enjoy the sensation. It is possible to feel all the senses in these dreams. Skweeky is right, though, it is not as restful as regular sleep. Unfortunately, I can not seem to stop doing it if I realise, even for a second, that I am dreaming.

sk8punk151
06-04-2003, 10:16 PM
hmm, I am shrooming this weekend :D Maybe that will play a good role in my lucid dreams.