PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Music

lightshow
04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
So my friend is going on a long road trip out to the great American west and he wanted me to look for him some cowboy music.

I'm not too sure exactly what cowboy music is, and I don't think he really knows either.

My closest idea of what to look for was a couple of songs off the American Kill Bill movie OST (original soundtrack). I've since lost the album but they were some really cool sounding songs that you would imagine an American Indian Tribe playing around a campfire.

Since I know everyone here is a music guru, what would you recommend looking for that is cowboy music?

Skiz
04-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Do you mean, country music?

lightshow
04-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Nope, I mean cowboy music.

Skiz
04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Maybe you could be more specific, then.

delimare
04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Boards of Canada has a song called Dayvan Cowboy that has a twangy, western yet electronic feel to it. Reminds me of Roland in The Dark Tower series every time I listen to it.

Jerry Reed's East Bound and Down is must have along with anything pertaining to Smokey and the Bandit.

Happy hunting for more songs, dude!!! :cowboy:

I thought of one more... Frankie Laine sings a song called Blazing Saddles for the 1974 movie called Blazing Saddles. Good song if you're going for some old school country.

bigboab
04-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I think you may be looking for the type of songs that Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and other cowboys sang in the 1930's to the 1950's. Those particular two were also movie cowboys. They sang songs like;

Home On The Range
Back In The Saddle Again
South Of The Border
Four Legged Friend,etc.

I hope that is of some help to you.:)

snowultra
04-17-2007, 09:21 PM
dont let you babies grow up to be cowboys. is what he means.

Skiz
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think he knows what country music is. :noes:

SHUVT
04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
He may be looking for the good old classics as mentioned above. I also do not think that he knows what country music is. Just check out some of the names above and you will be able to search related artists on any music web site to help get some names together. Oink would be the place to go for it all.

I prefer the old country tunes over the modern crap. Just look up Country genre on any music tracker and I am sure you find something to your liking.

Skiz
04-17-2007, 09:42 PM
He may be looking for the good old classics as mentioned above. I also do not think that he knows what country music is. Just check out some of the names above and you will be able to search related artists on any music web site to help get some names together. Oink would be the place to go for it all.

I prefer the old country tunes over the modern crap. Just look up Country genre on any music tracker and I am sure you find something to your liking.

I like the old Nashville. Truse that most of the modern stuff sucks.

My favorite is Texas country though.

Jerry Jeff Walker
Robert Earl Keen
Willie
Pat Green
Hayes Carll
etc.................................................................

SHUVT
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Good ol Willie... I saw him several times at a few small bars in San Antonio. Good guy and down to earth

Waylon Jennings
Melre Haggard
Johnny Cash
Conway Twitty
Hank Williams
George Jones
David Allen Coe
and so on and so on

Funny that I listen to all this and I also listen to East Coast Hardcore (Straight Edge) Punk and Ska

Lilmiss
04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
^ Ditto. Willie Nelson is a god. :happy:

I do also love David Allen Coe.
Although he is rather controversial, and I point blank refuse to listen to some of his tracks.

My faves inc;
3 Biggest Lies
Cum Stains On The Pillow
You Never Even Called Me By My Name :wub:

j2k4
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
As I recall, Kid Rock did a song about cowboys. :dabs:

Skiz
04-20-2007, 02:03 AM

Although he is rather controversial, and I point blank refuse to listen to some of his tracks.

My faves inc;
3 Biggest Lies
Cum Stains On The Pillow

That's freaking nuts that you live in England and know who David Allan Coe is. :O

I saw him in concert in a bar in Nacogdoches (aka: "Naco-nowhere") a long time ago. I have been to many, many, many shows in my life, but never was scared for my life until that one. Ex-prison bikers everywhere.

Reminded me of the long-haired redneck song -

BUT THE COUNTRY D.J.'S ALL THINK I'M AN OUTLAW
AND THEY'D NEVER COME TO SEE ME IN THIS DIVE
WHERE BIKERS STARE AT COWBOYS
WHO ARE LAUGHING' AT THE HIPPIES
WHO ARE PRAYING' THEY'LL GET OUT OF HERE ALIVE

I think my favs are

If That Ain't Country
The Ride
Now I Lay Me Down To Cheat
Please Come To Boston

bigboab
04-20-2007, 08:01 AM

My faves inc;
3 Biggest Lies
Cum Stains On The Pillow

That's freaking nuts that you live in England and know who David Allan Coe is. :O

I saw him in concert in a bar in Nacogdoches (aka: "Naco-nowhere") a long time ago. I have been to many, many, many shows in my life, but never was scared for my life until that one. Ex-prison bikers everywhere.

Reminded me of the long-haired redneck song -

BUT THE COUNTRY D.J.'S ALL THINK I'M AN OUTLAW
AND THEY'D NEVER COME TO SEE ME IN THIS DIVE
WHERE BIKERS STARE AT COWBOYS
WHO ARE LAUGHING' AT THE HIPPIES
WHO ARE PRAYING' THEY'LL GET OUT OF HERE ALIVE

I think my favs are

If That Ain't Country
The Ride
Now I Lay Me Down To Cheat
Please Come To Boston

Why does that freak you out? I have been listening to Country Music since the 1940's. I have seen a lot of country stars in concert. The recent being a couple of weeks ago.(Kris Kristofferson.) Who was brilliant.

LilMiss@ Sadly Willie is just a wee old man now. Saw him recently. Still great but has lost that magic touch, probably due to his age. Age affected Cash and a lot of others. Exceptions being Kris Kristofferson who still sounds great at 71 and Ole' Waylon who kept his voice till the end.:)

Skizo@ I also know of Coe, Kid Rock, Hank Jr, Scooter and all those other 'rebels'. Is that the original(1974) Dave Loggins version of 'Please come To Boston' that you like?