PDA

View Full Version : This Forum

sArA
06-03-2003, 04:34 AM
Ok...well, I thought I would start a topic for discussion......

What do people consider the reasons for spending hour after hour sitting at a computer waiting for the next post of interest to appear on this forum often to contribute mere one line comments?

There are of course, many schools of thought on this topic...here is my penneth worth...

Some people genuinely do not get out much for whatever reason, some due to a lack of mobility, others because they have home based responsibilities, and yet others because they have no other outlet for their opinions. In some cases, there is a genuine desire to aid others with problems, and they are the truly altruistic ones.

I come to this forum for a stimulating read, and to enter into the fray with people I would otherwise not meet. However, there is also an element of loneliness that means that if I was not here, I would be alone, at home with the kids in bed and no one to talk to. Is it sad that I have no social life at the moment? Will I continue to spend as much time online once I return to the UK in just over a week, and start to see friends I haven't seen for nearly a year? In which case, could it be said that this forum is a stop gap?

Having spent some considerable time making friends here however, has the original reason for my membership changed? Perhaps I will continue to read, comment and discuss, choosing to spend time with people I have come to find either intellectualy stimulating, amusing, interesting nice or nasty? I am not sure, I do know whether the time difference between the US and the UK will make posting 'live' more difficult leading to a reduction in my contribution.

I am curious as to the reasons for others to post to this forum....why do spammers spam? Why do flamers flame? How much time do people actually spend here and are they avoiding doing other stuff that really ought to be attended to?

I guess this is a perfect opportunity for some people to pick up on my comments above and shout at me for saying that they have no social life...but I am just curious and offer merely some suggestions for participation.

So...this thread could include people giving their own reasons for posting plus an opportunity to provide their insight and opinion from a more theoretical perspective.

anyway.......

I will now stand back and watch for your responses.......

:lol:

Tikibonbon
06-03-2003, 04:51 AM
don't have much of a life with work, school, bird, and scooter club around. plus forums are better for me because so many people just make me want to punch em in the mouth.

j2k4
06-03-2003, 05:07 AM
I expect I will end up with a few more posts on your thread, sara, but I feel compelled to give my answer to your question regarding the 'why people post the way they do':

I think it is a reasonably accurate indicator as to personality type; spammers are lonely, or attention seekers; flamers are bitter, or somehow dissatisfied; etc., etc..........

I enjoy the debate and the genuineness of the give and take amongst the ever-widening crowd of regulars; kinda like a great pub, but without the spilled drinks, yes?

We will understand if your posting habits change once you get home; just check in when you can, OK?

clocker
06-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Interesting topic, Sara.

For me, participation in the forum and getting a computer/ going online were concurrent.
My niece introduced me to Kazaa in Nov. while I was in Chicago visiting. For Christmas I treated myself to a computer and by Feb. I was ghosting around the forum. After hovering about for a month I registered.
I have no other experience to compare/contrast this to.
It's been a very interesting place to visit.
I've learned a lot about how to manipulate and maneuver a pc here. I've learned about how much I have yet to learn.
I discovered today what "imho" means.
I've been exposed to software and techniques, websites and artists, shortcuts and no-no's.
Since I work alone and at odd hours (typically 3am till noonish) and am single and by nature solitary, this is my opportunity to interact with people. Intellectually, humorously, seriously or just silently. I find the imprecation to " get a life" invalid. I have a life, and right now I like just fine, thank you. That might change- who knows, I could become overwhelmingly obsessed with whitewater rafting or darts or jogging- but til that happens this place is a smorgasboard of opportunity. I can engage in discussion with some of the most literate, thoughtful and engaging minds I've ever met, I can be amused and even laugh out loud at the clever turn of phrase or twisted observation ( thank you, hobbes), I can gain perspective from people from around the world, or I can go to the guestroom and feel good by sharing what little knowledge I may have (and where they don't know that I just learned it yesterday).

So if I put off reading a book or taking a walk or (God forfend!) working, well, so what? I'm enjoying myself and life's too short.
The time will come ,no doubt, when my time here grows less, but I will remember where I began. You ALWAYS remember your first. ;)

MagicNakor
06-03-2003, 06:16 AM
Well, I hang around because I live in, quite literally, the middle of nowhere. ;) It's a village (yes, a village, not a town) up in the mountains. The only social life I get I have to drive an hour-hour and a half to see my friends. :lol: So I do that every other week.

Unfortunately, my only debate-partner moved out of the country, and most of the people I'm around don't do it too well. Not to say they're unintelligent, just that they aren't inclined in that fashion. And then I come here, and see a board full of Republicans. :rolleyes: :P

Well, it's amusing, at least. ;)

:ninja:

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-03-2003, 06:42 AM
hehehe
I'm stuck at home taking meds :lol:
http://www.trouw.nl/images/pills.jpg
But if I wasn't I'm shure I would make it here Daily!

clintonesque
06-03-2003, 08:19 AM
I like to come here to catch-up on what's going on in the p2p world. Keep up-to-date on the latest versions of file sharing software, I’m always looking to find different ways of doing things.

I work night shifts and most often on my days off it's hard to get to sleep before 3 or 4 so this helps to pass the time.

I'm also trying to promote some of my own content, like the Medfile in the ebooks section.

Reading others views & posts can also be a source of entertainment . . .and some can be quite informative.

Wizard_Mon1
03-05-2004, 10:42 PM
I thought i would bring this back from the depths because it seems relevant.

Personally i use this forum (too much) as a weird social life, because i moved into university halls and left alot of close friends in my home area so i don't see them to much, i have a very active life and in many ways this is my way of escaping from it.

When your life starts to suffer from doing anything too much then you need to descide to make a change. Personally i find that my college work suffers and that is not really acceptable.

I also notice that a number of members leave by saying they need to sort out some stuff in their lives and i wonder if this relates to their use of this board.

I have also learn't alot of interesting stuff here about the internet and filesharing and i have met some pretty descent people.

I would be interested to know what others think about this subject.

internet.weather
03-06-2004, 12:07 AM
I think of this as a separate and distinct part of my social life. I have an active work and family life which fulfills me. However when I come here I can discuss things with a wide and interesting demographic, which otherwise would not be available to me.

There are people here, with whom I have shared thoughts, who I will never meet in what is glibly described as the real world. They have enriched my experience and I thank them for it. I feel I am a more rounded person for having spent time here. Both literally and figuratively.

Busyman
03-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Personally I like the debate.
If I was banned tomorrow I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep.
There are wayyy more important things to do.

I think a wake up call to anyone is to NOT come here for about three days on purpose.
If you can't help but come here then you need to focus more on real life stuff.
I understand if you are bed ridden, disabled, or out in West BubbleFuck. If not, you should make a conscious and concerted effort to upgrade you real life and not wallow in your online personality.

Go workout
Learn an instrument
Make new friends
Read a book
Learn how to put brakes on your own car
Wash your damn car!!! It's filthy!!!

Do something!!!!

internet.weather
03-06-2004, 12:32 AM
I pay for my brakes to be fixed and my car to be washed. That's why I work, so I don't have to do those things myself.

While it is happening I talk to friends or read books or some other fun stuff. Life is fantastic and I would commend it to anyone who can be bothered making the effort.

I use this as a way to interact with people who I would not normally meet. There is no other way to do it.

Busyman
03-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by internet.weather@5 March 2004 - 20:32
I pay for my brakes to be fixed and my car to be washed. That's why I work, so I don't have to do those things myself.

While it is happening I talk to friends or read books or some other fun stuff. Life is fantastic and I would commend it to anyone who can be bothered making the effort.

I use this as a way to interact with people who I would not normally meet. There is no other way to do it.
Great!!!

I wasn't saying the YOU in particular have no life or anything. I'm addressing a basic issue to anyone.

internet.weather
03-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+6 March 2004 - 00:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 6 March 2004 - 00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-internet.weather@5 March 2004 - 20:32
I pay for my brakes to be fixed and my car to be washed. That&#39;s why I work, so I don&#39;t have to do those things myself.

Great&#33;&#33;&#33;

I wasn&#39;t saying the YOU in particular have no life or anything. I&#39;m addressing a basic issue to anyone. [/b][/quote]
I never thought, or even suspected, you were referring to me, I was just replying to your post.

I really have no interest in washing cars, if you have then cool. To each their own.

ilw
03-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by sara5564@3 June 2003 - 03:34
I come to this forum for a stimulating read, and to enter into the fray with people I would otherwise not meet. However, there is also an element of loneliness that means that if I was not here, I would be alone, at home with the kids in bed and no one to talk to. Is it sad that I have no social life at the moment? Will I continue to spend as much time online once I return to the UK in just over a week, and start to see friends I haven&#39;t seen for nearly a year? In which case, could it be said that this forum is a stop gap?
I think my use and reasons for using this board are similar ot those you state. When i was in switzerland over the summer, my social life dropped like a stone, that along with free fast internet access and the incredibly boring work i was doing, meant that my time spent on this board and general participation shot up. It was also a relief to be able to discuss serious and interesting things without having to resort to my shoddy german or using itty bitty words in English. Since i&#39;ve returned to Edinburgh and have my friends around, i visit the board a lot less. I still like to read the debates that go on as they are some of hte most entertaining and informative things on the internet, however, my participation in the debates has decreased.
In some ways this was a stop gap for me, but i continue to come here and enjoy it which in the end is all that really matters imo. Personally I would think your time online will (like mine did) decrease significantly when you return to the UK, but i&#39;m sure you won&#39;t be able to stay away :smilie3:

Wizard_Mon1
03-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Just to let you know that she posted that in june last year. :)

Busyman
03-06-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1@5 March 2004 - 21:01
Just to let you know that she posted that in june last year. :)
:lol: :lol:
Was I the only one who noticed that?

Still a good topic to bring back Wiz.

BigBank_Hank
03-06-2004, 11:12 PM
I like to come here to read while I&#39;m in-between jobs. I&#39;m a auto mechanic and I spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for parts to be delivered so that I can get back to work. I like to read more than I like to post, which is why I have a little over 600 posts in almost a year. I like to think of this forum as a supplement to real life, and there are people here who take this board way to serious. I like to come here and read but if I can&#39;t it&#39;s no big deal.

If I was banned I would be disappointed thought because its such a great reference to any question or problem that I might have. People here a very helpful and its nice to know that you can come here if you need some sort of help, or if you just want to hang out a chat.

Arm
03-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Arm comes here because hes very socially inept with no life and this gives him something to do.
Sorta like a half-ass imitation of having real friends I guess. Though I grow quite tired of the &#39;ol forums quite easily (and everything else in life >_<) but hey, it&#39;s better then sitting in front of the TV which is what ide be doing if there was no computer for me to use. :strongsad:

Though I dont care for friends and don&#39;t really find being around them very intresting. Seeing people at school on the few days I go is enough for me. Arm wants secks, not friends. :ph34r: :blink: :frusty:

100%
03-07-2004, 01:31 PM
I wonder about that question quit a bit
t definetly comes under leisure time
but at certain times it takes over my duties time
which aint good
anyway its winter so i guess its better than staing at tv
Interactivity is my only answer

sArA
03-08-2004, 12:01 AM
What a pleasant surprise to see an old thread revived&#33; :)

hobbes
03-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by sara5564@8 March 2004 - 01:01
What a pleasant surprise to see an old thread revived&#33;&nbsp; :)
More pleasant to see an old friend.

j2k4
03-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by hobbes+7 March 2004 - 21:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 7 March 2004 - 21:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sara5564@8 March 2004 - 01:01
More pleasant to see an old friend. [/b][/quote]
Both, actually. :)

sArA
03-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by hobbes+8 March 2004 - 01:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 8 March 2004 - 01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sara5564@8 March 2004 - 01:01
More pleasant to see an old friend. [/b][/quote]
Nice to see you too Hobbes...One thing though, I rather liked your rabbits...where are your rabbits????? I miss your furry friend selection.

Hey J2k4, great to see you too.

Its nice to get back into the fray from time to time. Its great to see that most of the old gang is still posting....hmm....I have a feeling that this is relevant to this thread...why are we all still here (even if I have been away for a while)? I guess that it shows that an online community of friends is actually not so different from IRL, we hang around those we like.

dont have time just now to add futher to this thread in any significant sense, maybe later when I have got some work done&#33; ho hum. <_<

clocker
03-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Ho-hum, indeed.

Tease.

Evil Gemini
03-08-2004, 03:05 PM
I think i come to this forum because i am a social outcast and i admit it.

I dont like it, but i am.

When i go out i dont like being around people and seeing people being happy and all pisses me off and too much people freak me out.

I dont know why. I know its not normal but thats the way i am and i wish i wasnt like this.

So, i come to this forum so much because i dont feel threatened and no one can make me feel like im only 2 inches tall like IRL.

j2k4
03-08-2004, 03:13 PM
A few more people show up, and this could be a right reunion of the original W.N. & E., crowd, eh?

The heady days of revolution.

Weren&#39;t we special? :lol: :lol:

I&#39;d like to think I can rustle up a modicum of insufferability, yet.

Hobbes-Perhaps you could charter an elevator for our little soiree?

A nice, large Otis, with facilities, would do nicely I think. :D

lynx
03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
So we are all here?

Just one thing though.

I never did quite understand what this thread had to do with World News & Events. :unsure:

oldmancan
03-08-2004, 05:43 PM
;) lynx: A meeting of such highly esteemed forum stalwarts, would rate as a World Event.

Hiya sara5564, suprised I missed or just didn&#39;t reply the first time this thread ran.

I came stumbling along to the forum for information and a clean version of Kazaa. I found an interesting community with a vast array of knowledge and interests. I continue to visit for the stimulation and humour.

I have an unusual work pattern and the result is I have alot of free time. I generally go online for a bit after everyone else has left the house in the morning. Usually have my second java and check the news and stuff.

If I see something interesting at the forum I might pop back in throughout the day to see how it is progressing.

I don&#39;t differentiate between "here" and real life. All part of the same package.

:beerchug: omc

j2k4
03-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by lynx@8 March 2004 - 14:03
So we are all here?

Just one thing though.

I never did quite understand what this thread had to do with World News & Events. :unsure:
I think the qualifying point was sara&#39;s consent to join our fray (when was that, anyway?); it truly altered the balance of "power", so to speak. ;)

hobbes
03-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by sara5564@8 March 2004 - 12:47
Nice to see you too Hobbes...One thing though, I rather liked your rabbits...where are your rabbits????? I miss your furry friend selection.

Rabbit is working at Rikk and Cowsy&#39;s forum here (http://www.rikk-cowsys.com/index.php?showtopic=404&view=findpost&p=25199) and due to an arthritic hip is unable work both forums.

For the gentleman, scroll down to my next post in that linked thread, well worth the effort.

shn
03-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I have a laptop and I am a drifter.

When I am in class I am here.
When I am at practice I am here.
When I am at the mall I am here.
I am here. Does that mean I do not have a life?

It sure beats staying at home B)

ck-uk
03-09-2004, 11:05 AM
I&#39;m on pc alot esp&#39;throught the daytime.Mainly from what i do,also because i&#39;ve been living back at my parents for the last yr due to probs at home,which is over the bitch.I have two kids corey(7) n joey(5).I&#39;m "very rarely" here in the nights after 9.pm,i either go to my local for a few or around some mates for a j n listen to some tunes. :)

j2k4
03-09-2004, 02:57 PM
For me, this is a guilt-free activity.

I get to correspond in interesting ways about interesting things with people I find, by and large, interesting.

What&#39;s cooler than that?

You&#39;re all aware of the "lurker" quotient; we actually have the nerve (less so the need, although there is that, also) to post and give forth with opinions thoughts or ideas.

We are partaking of something truly unique, to my way of thinking (those who don&#39;t care for "my way of thinking": piss off&#33; :D)

Some of you might want to view your efforts/presence here in a different light.

Canti
03-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by sara5564@3 June 2003 - 04:34
I will now stand back and watch for your responses.......

It&#39;s a good way to shave a few minutes off my workday...

Do I come here when I&#39;m not at work?
Hahahaha NEVER&#33;

sArA
03-11-2004, 11:07 PM
I come here cos I LOVE YOU ALL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Well, actually, its the stimulating conversation, the opportunity to use my dictionary and to be a self opinionated bitch without worry...he he

clocker
03-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by sara5564@11 March 2004 - 15:07

Well, actually, its the stimulating conversation, the opportunity to use my dictionary and to be a self opinionated bitch without worry...he he
You have learned well at the knee of j2, Butterfly.

j2k4
03-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by clocker+11 March 2004 - 22:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 11 March 2004 - 22:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-sara5564@11 March 2004 - 15:07

Well, actually, its the stimulating&nbsp; conversation, the opportunity to use my dictionary and to be a self opinionated bitch without worry...he he
You have learned well at the knee of j2, Butterfly.[/b][/quote]
If I were so inclined (that is to say, afflicted by a liberal&#39;s "victim" sensibility), I could construe that post as painting me as a "bitch".

I digress.... :lol:

Sara has nothing to learn from me, but her in any proximity to my knee would make that knee a bit weak, I think. :P

J'Pol
03-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,

A Flask of Apple, a Book of Verse---and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness---

And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

j2k4
03-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@12 March 2004 - 20:57
Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,

A Flask of Apple, a Book of Verse---and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness---

And Wilderness is Paradise enow.
Says you. :D

Greets, JP. :)

oldmancan
03-13-2004, 01:05 AM
:clap: J&#39;Pol Thanks for putting in an apperarance

There was the Door to which I found no Key

There was the Veil through which I could not see

Some little Talk awhile of Me and Thee

There seemed--and then no more of Thee and Me.

Cheers omc

chalice
03-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Reasons For Attendance.

The trumpet&#39;s voice, loud and authoritative,
Draws me a moment to the lighted glass
To watch the dancers - all under twenty-five -
Solemnly on the beat of happiness.
- Or so I fancy, sensing the smoke and sweat,
The wonderful feel of girls. Why be out there ?
But then, why be in there? Sex, yes, but what
Is sex ? Surely to think the lion&#39;s share
Of happiness is found by couples - sheer
Inaccuracy, as far as I&#39;m concerned.
What calls me is that lifted, rough-tongued bell
(Art, if you like) whose individual sound
Insists I too am individual.
It speaks; I hear; others may hear as well,
But not for me, nor I for them; and so
With happiness. Therefor I stay outside,
Believing this, and they maul to and fro,
Believing that; and both are satisfied,
If no one has misjudged himself. Or lied