PDA

View Full Version : Who Agrees With Me That

Ad
06-03-2003, 05:58 AM
ok it brings to my attention that all the movies today are just crap with the exception of two towers and hits like that most of the movies today are aimed for teens such as american pie crap. tenn movies. just whre is everything going now????

anie movies used to be great in the 80s

the 70s were the best time for movies

idiana Jones
godfather
Jaws
Star wars

whats going on???

I go to see whats at the movies and can't find anything decent actors like Mel gibson and anie are payed to do lethal weapon 4 and T3 its just turing bad and its a huge dissapointment

Horror movies are never like they use to be the helloweens friday 13th Exocist Omen

I just can't find any classic movies that appeal to me these days

RuntimeError
06-03-2003, 06:09 AM
ummm...matrix was good and ill be watching the next one in a longggg time

Ad
06-03-2003, 06:14 AM
ummm...matrix was good and ill be watching the next one in a longggg time

yeah to be honest I havnt seen it yet. so I cant judge that movie but it just seems to be that u have a look on whats at the movie in only 1 in 10 movies is decent to watch!!!

also what ive heard and read about reloaded was dissapointing like what happened to phantom Menece to much digial stuff which is exactly my point

but u have a look Lord of the rings X men 2 matrix reloaded ok theres the big 3 that are decent at the moment

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 06:39 AM
Well adthomp I dont entirely agree with you. Although it is true that the 70s had many excellent films, along with the 80s...they also had a majority of films being crap. Which is natural, cuz the Movie Studios are really just throwing out as much as they can to see what sticks. Now, as of recently there havent been to many great films...but I decided to test your 1 in 10 theory:

1 Finding Nemo (2003) 70.6m 70.6m
2 Bruce Almighty (2003) 35.6m 135.0m
3 Italian Job, The (2003) 19.3m 19.3m
4 Matrix Reloaded, The (2003) 15.0m 232.0m
5 Daddy Day Care (2003) 6.8m 82.0m
6 X2 (2003) 5.0m 199.0m
7 Wrong Turn (2003) 5.0m 5.0m
8 In-Laws, The (2003/I) 3.6m 14.4m
9 Down with Love (2003) 1.5m 17.2m
10 Lizzie McGuire Movie, The (2003) 1.0m 39.2m

Thats this past weekends top 10 grossers. Now out of the 10 films there ( I thankfully havent seen Lizzy...but Im going to make a large assumption <_< and say it was utter crap) Id say 3 are utter crap. 4 are mediocre...but can be entertaining at certain levels. And 3 are great films. The 3 greats are Finding Nemo, X2, and Down with Love.

Sure it isnt always like that...Im sure there are many times where your 1 in 10 is acurate. But there are others, most notably nov/dec where there were quite a handful of notable films. Now personally...I have favorites from every decade, and as for cgi (espechially in swep2 and reloaded)...I think if it becomes a leg of your film...your making a bad move. But if used correctly, it can add.

Those are just my thoughts though...plus its late so I may be completely off... :D

majinssjvegetto
06-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Whats down with love?

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Down with Love is a throwback to the old Doris Day romantic comedies of the late 50s early 60s.

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by thegroggman@3 June 2003 - 07:24
Down with Love is a throwback to the old Doris Day romantic comedies of the late 50s early 60s.
i thought it looked shit groggers....could be wrong tho

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Egh..well I typically dont enjoy romantic comedies...at least not those made in the past 20 years or so. But I have always been a big fan of 60s romance films. I dont know why. But Im just a big sucker for them, espechially Audrey Hepburn. And Down with Love is not as good as the classics...but it is still a charming film.

Edit: Morning Bill ;)

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 07:31 AM
i think a lot of movies made nowadays are complete and utter shite, and the ratio is more on the side of bad movies, but not as much as 95 %&#33;&#33;
i think the studios have too much money to burn, and occasionaly they make a good film out of their &#036;200 million.
cutthroat island, anyone? :lol: :lol:

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 07:36 AM
think a lot of movies made nowadays are complete and utter shite, and the ratio is more on the side of bad movies, but not as much as 95 %&#33;&#33; I completely agree. But I dont think anyone should say that one decade is paticulary better than any other (although if we did the 70s would take the cake) because the ratio has always been like that. The only reason it doesnt seem so is because people forget all the crap that was released and instead focus on the classics.

Ad
06-03-2003, 07:47 AM
crazy billy bats I think we have found a new spam king&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

over 369 posts in 3 weeks 16.3 posts a day

and people say I posted alot :lol: :lol:

anyway thegroggman yeah u are right we do forget about the crap in the 70s.

i think I egsatguated a bit about 1 out of 10 maybe 2 or 3

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@3 June 2003 - 07:47
crazy billy bats I think we have found a new spam king&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

over 369 posts in 3 weeks 16.3 posts a day

and people say I posted alot :lol: :lol:
:lol:
i cant help it&#33;&#33;
you guys are all so cool&#33; :D

right now i think the ratio is 5:2, of shit to good movies

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 07:56 AM
ALL HAIL THE SPAM KING &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; [hails...hails some more.....hails one last time]

Anywho, Id say 5:2 is a good estimate.

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 08:21 AM
recently releases have been atrocious tho....i mean, lizzy maguire? im in the UK and have no fucking idea what its about, but you can tell from the title its a piece of piss

any other example of embarrassments people?
and the most recent classic you have seen?

its a tough one....i liked Gangs Of New York....
probably the best most recent movie ive saw...
its sure as hell aint reloaded.

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Hmmm...the best movie Ive seen so far this summer is easily Finding Nemo. I mean...Pixar just doesnt make bad films. And...then X2...in a distant second. Most everything else has been pure mediocrity. But a few months ago there were some films I enjoyed. THere was the trecherous trio of Gangs of New York, Two Towers, and Catch Me if You Can. I thought they were all good...with Catch probably being my favorite of the bunch. Oh...and 25th Hour, Adaptation, and About Schmidt were all wonderful films. But its been quite some time since they were all released...

DarkBlizzard
06-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Jackass: The Movie&#33;&#33;&#33; Its always fun to see other people hurt themselfs

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by thegroggman@3 June 2003 - 08:25
Gangs of New York, Two Towers, and Catch Me if You Can. I thought they were all good...with Catch probably being my favorite of the bunch. Oh...and 25th Hour, Adaptation, and About Schmidt were all wonderful films. But its been quite some time since they were all released...
havnt seen catch me, 25th hour or adaptation....any divx versions on kazaa so i can rip it to svcd for myself?
dont remind me of about schmidt....forgot about that again :D .....that film was wonderful....and well....im going to admit it, i cried at the end, and well i suppose the fact i was with my girl added to that....but it was a deeply moving film, and ending, bit like schindlers list, about the only other movie made me cry...or wait, theres a beautiful life too.....the laurence fishburn death scene in apocolypse now...
well im coming off as a pussy here, so.... :lol:

tell me which of them to download first groggers, i only have like 3 weeks (or less) of gettin my free movies so i want the best &#33;&#33; :D

thegroggman
06-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Ok...well if your a big fan of the old Steven Speilberg get Catch me if You Can. Remeber how much fun it was to watch Back to the Future? Well this is a throwback to those films...same care-free style. A movie that is real enjoyable. Id say that first. Next Id say Adaptation...although it is a bit of a quirky film...but trust me it will make you think about your life. Than 25th Hour...what would you do if you had 24 hours left? More so than being a great film, this was a tribute to the people of New York. The first film that really even mentioned the World Trade Center. And Edward Norton gives a great speech early on...I like to refer to it as the "Fuck you" speech. Im pretty sure I saw a divx version of Adaptation...plus there is also a screener. Oh and theres a screener out of 25th hour. Catch me if you Can im not sure if there is or not.

And yeah...the first time I saw About Schmidt...I cried also. Not like bawling...but I got real misty...i mean...all that struggle of finding purpose in life...and to end it like that. It was perfect. That was my favorite film of 2002. And there are other films Ive cried during. I mean, I dont think anyone should be ashamed of that...thats what they are supposed to do. Plus that shows you how great a film is, when you become that attached to characters.

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks man, ill get onto that when i get home :D

i suppose im not so much ashamed, as....just reluctant to admit it, i am very emotional, but it takes a lot to get me going on movies....
even thinking about the ending of schmidt gives me shivers....

that 25th hour looks ok....and i would like one that tackles the isses that 9/11 threw up....and a tribute to the new yorkers....

anyway i wouldnt cry in front of my mates...
:lol: its just to get her to see my "sensitive" side :lol:

but really, i love films that can move me that much....
not very many out there

Ad
06-03-2003, 09:44 AM
:spam: :spam: crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@3 June 2003 - 09:44
:spam: :spam: crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:
come on dude im not...
i am talking about relevant subjects....
im at work and bored, can u blame me ?&#33;&#33;&#33;

leave me alone :( &#33;&#33;&#33;

Ad
06-03-2003, 10:09 AM
crazy_billy_bats I love ya man u remind me of me :lol: :lol:

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@3 June 2003 - 10:09
crazy_billy_bats I love ya man u remind me of me :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
nice one my man&#33;&#33;

btw....is it sacreligious of me to call meat loaf a twat....? :blink: :P

shit these boards are addictive...

Ad
06-03-2003, 10:30 AM
btw....is it sacreligious of me to call meat loaf a twat....?&nbsp;

lmao

shit these boards are addictive...

u got that right :lol: :D :D :wacko: :wacko:

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@3 June 2003 - 10:30
lmao

explain&#33;

and back on ur topic&#33;&#33;

95% is waaaayyyy too much

Ad
06-03-2003, 10:46 AM
what u dont know what lmao means (laughing my ass off)

95% well put it this way about 12 decent movies are good per year and how many do u think are made per year??

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 10:53 AM
i thought it was Imao &#33;&#33;&#33;

well ok, but not all are released to cinema&#33;&#33;

what bout those shite "made-for-tv" films&#33;&#33; they dont count&#33;

Ad
06-03-2003, 10:57 AM
yeah on cable I slick through 54 channells and nothing is on

well_butter_my_arse
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
the past couple of years havent been that good for movies but weve had some awsome ones this year. especaily comedy wise. But we have had some extreemly bad ones that i dont even know how they made it to the big screen

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by well_butter_my_arse@3 June 2003 - 11:05
the past couple of years havent been that good for movies but weve had some awsome ones this year. especaily comedy wise
:lol: you reffering to the classic lizzy maguire?

Jimmy_rabbit_2k3
06-03-2003, 01:02 PM
well i really liked bullet proof monk i thought that it was a gr8 film :ph34r:

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 01:08 PM
well can anyone name a classic from 2003 as of yet?
im trying to think......im not sure, theres no ones i can think ok

N£MO
06-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Movies today suck.

What a spamtastic topic this is. :D

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 01:42 PM
well whats your most recent classic then N£mo ? (love the name :D )
there has to be one within the last.....2 years?

N£MO
06-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Not in last two years but thought The Usual Suspects was a quality film.So was Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels but for different reasons.

Good to see you giving that spam slapper adthomp a run for his money :D

Ad
06-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Good to see you giving that spam slapper adthomp a run for his money&nbsp;

lol I am seriously worried I think Ive been given the sack :( :lol: :lol:

N£MO
06-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by adthomp@3 June 2003 - 15:09

Good to see you giving that spam slapper adthomp a run for his money

lol I am seriously worried I think Ive been given the sack :( :lol: :lol:
You been training up your young apprentice too well but your unique way with words will always make you No.1 spamslut ;) :D :lol:

Ad
06-03-2003, 02:18 PM
You been training up your young apprentice too well but your unique way with words will always make you No.1 spamslut&nbsp; &nbsp;

thanks that makes me so much happier now :) :)

Spamslut????

lmao :lol: :lol:

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 02:36 PM
come on im not a spammer&#33;

i told u my subjects have relevance &#33;&#33;&#33;

classic film in last 2 years: About Schmidt, Gangs of New York.....
hmmm dunno any other real recent ones off-hand

see?&#33;

spamm-free.

tha bats.

dont mess with me.

well do if u want, i wont do nuthin :lol:

Ad
06-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah Im the spamslut I sleep with all my posts all day :lol:

crazy_billy_bats
06-03-2003, 02:45 PM
personally i pimp out all my posts....

like Snatch N£mo? or piece of shit?

and u adthomp?

Homersimpson
06-03-2003, 02:47 PM
I loved The Transporter

Wizzandabe
06-03-2003, 03:12 PM
i would say more like 80% some are really shit and some are really good, there is more shit noes though. i must admit.

ShareDaddy
06-03-2003, 03:23 PM
I am an avid movie watcher as you may be able to tell from checking out my movie string, I strongly dissagree with you. I happen to like a wide variety of movies, Romantic / Comedy / Action / Adventure / Drama / Thriller and yes even Family, you name it I could point out some good movies in each category.

Now having said that, there are quite a few mediocre or worse films, but being that each year there are well over 1000 movies released by all of the studios there are going to be some tankers and there are going to be some great ones. I think you may be pointing out the fact that the studios are bringing back a lot of old television series and making numerous sequels, prequels and remakes. But you also have to understand that they would not be doing this if they did not do well.

The consumers habits are what eventually drives the studios to doing different things, so until people stop spending money on re-runs we will be seeing more of the same.

miffo
06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
agree that they make about 10-15 good movies every year
at least these good ones hold high standards (can u write that?)

Bait Master
06-04-2003, 04:28 AM
I hate those old 70&#39;s movies. Of couse it&#39;s just shy of my generation so why would i like out dated crappy looking films :P .

Not to many movies pre 90&#39;s that i like at all except the 80&#39;s horror movies.

Different strokes for different folks i guess.

thegroggman
06-04-2003, 06:21 AM
I hate those old 70&#39;s movies.
Im...shocked&#33; Really there isnt a single 70s film that you like? Godfather? Star Wars? The French Connection? Attack on Precint 13? Alien? The Shining? Animal House? Young Frankenstein? Annie Hall? Blazing Saddles? Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Chinatown? One Flew Over the Cookus Nest? Taxi Driver? Clockwork Orange? Apocalypse Now? The Deer Hunter? Dog Day Afternoon? Jaws? Manhattan? Dirty Harry? Rocky? The Exorcist? Patton? Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Netowork? And those are just my favorites...I mean there has to be some movies you like from the period.

3RA1N1AC
06-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@2 June 2003 - 21:58
ok it brings to my attention that all the movies today are just crap with the exception of two towers and hits like that most of the movies today are aimed for teens such as american pie crap. tenn movies. just whre is everything going now????
i disagree completely. i think you&#39;re only saying this because hindsight is 20/20. there was just as much crap in the 70s, the 60s, the 50s, etc as there is now, but it&#39;s mostly been (deservedly) forgotten and now we only remember the good movies from those times.

there&#39;ve been fantastic movies directed in the past several years by quentin tarantino, wes anderson, lars von trier, joel & ethan coen, paul thomas anderson, jean-pierre jeunet, david cronenberg, martin scorcese, paul schrader, takashi miike, roman polanski, milos forman, and many other talented people. if you&#39;re not satisfied with the movies that are most popular, maybe you should be making an effort to dig up lesser known things that suit your tastes... you can&#39;t rely on advertising or the general consensus to tell you which modern films are "good" or "important." popularity has never meant the same thing as quality-- citizen kane is considered to be the greatest film of all time by many people, but at the time of its release it was neither popular nor well-received by critics.

it seems like people are saying "movies are worse now than they used to be" because it&#39;s possible to watch so much nowadays from so many sources (cinema, television, cable, video rental, internet, etc) that we all watch so much more than we used to and we appreciate it less. of course movies seemed better back in the days when you had to go to the cinema and you might only see two or three per month.

i dunno, i could prolly state my opinion more clearly, but i think your claim that all movies are crap now... is just wrong. absolutely wrong. maybe 90% of popular culture is crap, but if it&#39;s like that now, it&#39;s because it has always been like that. it&#39;s just hindsight that helps us sort the good from the bad, later on.

Cl1mh4224rd
06-04-2003, 06:29 AM
Heh. I love it... People look to the past and only remember the good movies. They say, "Man... the 70&#39;s fucking rocked. What&#39;s wrong with movies today" ... forgetting that the awesome-to-sucks ratio is probably about the same.

Ad
06-04-2003, 06:32 AM
yeah but movies in the 70s wern&#39;t about money

and there was not as many teen crap movies like american pie and shit like that. its all appealing to young people now and its a big problem

thegroggman
06-04-2003, 06:37 AM
yeah but movies in the 70s eerbnt about money LOL...what?&#33;? There has never been a movie produced by a movie studio, no matter how good, that hasnt been about money. The bottomline is always how much money they can make off a property. As for teenie-bopper films, I think there was actually a sharp drop off in the 70s due to content restrictions being dropped. Directors for awhile would place anything into their films, so the innocent teenie bopper films of the late 50s and 60s dissapeared. But they made their return in the 80s during the Regean Administration...and havent left since. The only teen film I can think of from the time was Animal House...and that unlike current teen films, was funny.

Ad
06-04-2003, 06:46 AM
thegroggman lol u must have quoted me before I got to edit :lol:

DAMM U&#33;&#33;&#33;

Runik
06-04-2003, 06:46 AM
i agree with ya most of today&#39;s movies suck with a few execptions

but uh
indiana Jones

that movie was made in the early 80&#39;s

DarkBlizzard
06-04-2003, 06:50 AM
There&#39;s a ton of awesome movies these days. Watch MTV on June 5th. Thats when the MTV Video Music Adwards are. Wouldnt wanna miss those would ya... :) But if your lazy human ass&#39;s dont get out of ur damn bed from sleeping for 16 hours because u stayed up until 5 am the night before ( as will most likely happen to me) then u can just catch the VMA&#39;s the next day on MTV. :)

Ad
06-04-2003, 06:51 AM
no what I am saying is this

70s would u pay an actor to 4 million to do lethal weapon 4????

no they wouldn&#39;t Mel Gibson has admitted he is sick of doing this shit becasue he is board he has admitted that hes only doing it for the money.

also 70s had better actors im not saying that today we havent got good actors but 70s had more.

we are full of actors that are exremly overrated

70s had the best actors
marlon Brando
Robert Denero
Al Pachino

I can go on this is jsut a few example I know there still going today but name some good ones that are brought up in the 90s decade that are as good as these guys???

Nichle Kidman for example wtf??? how did she win?? worst performance ever in days of thunder I have ever seen actully.

3RA1N1AC
06-04-2003, 06:56 AM
o man, the 70s... they sure didn&#39;t make any disposable, exploitative adolescent crap back then...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6302316405/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6303102700/

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/pro...ean=43396062023 (http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=43396062023)

:rolleyes:

Ad
06-04-2003, 07:05 AM
lol just had a read of all that I didn&#39;t say the 70s had no crap I said that 60s had less crap and more classic movies.

these days its 4 million
teen
and special effects

thats what ruined Phatom Menece never live up to the original star wars

all those special effects ruined it and it seemed to appeal for a much much younger audience

U have a look at the 20 top movies of all time see what movie is there today

Titanic maybe the latest

and yes someone mention Quetson Tarintinos stuff yes I love it that is the decent 90s stuff of today.

I guess Im just getting too old already now I need Help&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:

thegroggman
06-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Well the reason Lucas has done what he did with the current Star Wars films is because he wanted to appeal to a younger audience...and apparently it worked, cuz when I went and saw Phantom Menace and AOTC both were packed with screaming 13 year olds. Id kinda say he sold out...but hes out to make tons of doe just like anyone else. Besides when you make a classic like the Star Wars series...its hard to strike oil twice.

As for the actors in the 70s being superior to todays...I think I would agree...although a lot of those actors are still acting...Actually my favorite actors would have to be from the 50s/60s...Jimmy Stewart, Peter O. Toole, Audrey Hepburn, and my favorite actor ever...Steve McQueen. But there are also good actors who have debuted in relatively recent years...Tom Hanks comes to mind...

Edit: Whoops left out the part about the money that actors are paid. I agree that actors are paid too much...kind of gives them the wrong motivation...but actors back in the day were also payed alot, just the economy was different. When a blockbuster cost 20 million tops, paying your lead &#036;500,000 was a lot of money.

Bait Master
06-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by thegroggman@4 June 2003 - 06:21

Im...shocked&#33; Really there isnt a single 70s film that you like? Godfather? Star Wars? The French Connection? Attack on Precint 13? Alien? The Shining? Animal House? Young Frankenstein? Annie Hall? Blazing Saddles? Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Chinatown? One Flew Over the Cookus Nest?&nbsp; Taxi Driver? Clockwork Orange? Apocalypse Now?&nbsp; The Deer Hunter? Dog Day Afternoon? Jaws? Manhattan? Dirty Harry? Rocky? The Exorcist? Patton? Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Netowork? .

Out of that list i can pick 2 that i like. The Shining and Monty Python. Even then i couldn&#39;t stand to watch either 1 more than once every few months.

See the problems i have with those 70&#39;s movies is: Picture quality (that erks me the most), the cloths(disco is dead, friggen hippies :P ), special effects (if there&#39;s one thing i hate more than total computerized graphics it&#39;s old crappy graphics/special effects.)

See the wierd thing is that i like allmost every time i have seen a movie in the past 5-10 years i have liked. Even the crappy ones everyone else hates.

darktiger
09-05-2003, 09:38 PM
What do/did you people like about Gangs of New York?

I saw it at a moviefestival in Holland, and I thought it was the biggest piece of crap I had ever seen.

(btw I&#39;m going to see Lizzie next Sunday (just out in Holland in theaters))

The Horror fanatic
09-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Most movies nowadays are overhyped. Take the horror films, best horror since exorcist, and crap like that. I seen exorcist uncut and it stank like hell, the end of the 70s to the mid 80s saw a big stream of horror films, and classics like friday the 13th and a nightmare on elm street totally piss on the exorcist. As for nowadays the only decent horrors i have seen are
Sleepless(dario Argento)
Opera(Dario Argento)
freddy Vs jason
Jeepers creepers 1 and 2
The ring
Ringu 1 and 2
The eye
All are very good and the one i look forward to next is HOUSE OF THE DEAD. Not one in the list was overhyped like Wrong turn, which was not as good as it said, and the same goes for My little eye and Long time dead

joops
09-06-2003, 06:40 AM
<_< just passin` but i thought jeepers creepers look like some buffy the vampire slayer shit, haven`t seen the 2nd. i liked requiem for a dream
pi;equibrium;memento;matrix 1&2;the hulk;audition;training day;the secretary
and a lot more.
there`s loadz of movies out there.Seek and you shall find. :ph34r: :blink: :ninja: :zorro: :w00t: :flame:

MUSLEMAN
09-06-2003, 06:42 AM
i agree its 95% crap with the exception of lord of the rings, maitrix

slimboyfatz
09-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Totally agree with people slating 90/00&#39;s Horror flicks (Scream, Jeepers Creepers, I Know what ya did last Tuesday&#33;?&#33;?&#33;)...They&#39;re all piss poor excuses for horror, Like Dawsons Creek on Bad Acid and PMT, they just dont scare ya..make ya feel uncomfortable etc...Thats a combo of things, and i&#39;ll let BAD acting slide coz 70/80&#39;s horror flicks had some of the worst acting ever commmited to cellophane&#33;?&#33; In the 80&#39;s, horror movies looked more Raw, shoestring budgets, unknown actors etc..and i think that definetely helped tha genre at the time..Maybe the Horror flick as we knew it has been and gone, had their time..coz this goes back to the question of the thread itself, about no good movies nowadays and i think its a combination of things...some styles of a certain genre have now gone...Horror flicks (made on the cheap, the argento stuff etc), Action movies (in the style of Arnies/Stallones 80&#39;s stuff, wave after wave of bad guys getting mown down), these type of flicks we all enjoyed immensely and i think thats what people think back to when judging todays movies.........Dont get me wrong some modern stuff has been f***in great-
The Usual suspects
Heat
Silence of the Lambs
Blade
The Matrix etc .etc...

But come on compare that to-
Beverley Hills cop
Robocop
Predator
A nightmare on Elm street (the 1st one people not part 32)
Cheech & Chong Up in smoke
The Empire strikes back
Rambo 2

No competition.....LOL....... :lol:

MUSLEMAN
09-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by slimboyfatz@6 September 2003 - 03:57
Totally agree with people slating 90/00&#39;s Horror flicks (Scream, Jeepers Creepers, I Know what ya did last Tuesday&#33;?&#33;?&#33;)...They&#39;re all piss poor excuses for horror, Like Dawsons Creek on Bad Acid and PMT, they just dont scare ya..make ya feel uncomfortable etc...Thats a combo of things, and i&#39;ll let BAD acting slide coz 70/80&#39;s horror flicks had some of the worst acting ever commmited to cellophane&#33;?&#33; In the 80&#39;s, horror movies looked more Raw, shoestring budgets, unknown actors etc..and i think that definetely helped tha genre at the time..Maybe the Horror flick as we knew it has been and gone, had their time..coz this goes back to the question of the thread itself, about no good movies nowadays and i think its a combination of things...some styles of a certain genre have now gone...Horror flicks (made on the cheap, the argento stuff etc), Action movies (in the style of Arnies/Stallones 80&#39;s stuff, wave after wave of bad guys getting mown down), these type of flicks we all enjoyed immensely and i think thats what people think back to when judging todays movies.........Dont get me wrong some modern stuff has been f***in great-
The Usual suspects
Heat
Silence of the Lambs
Blade
The Matrix etc .etc...

Beverley Hills cop
Robocop
Predator
The Empire strikes back
Rambo 2

i don&#39;t understand as both group have some realy good movies in them

olibomb
09-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Yeah they are both great lists but the bottom 1 is somewhat better, i think u forgot last of the mohicans tho

slimboyfatz
09-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+6 September 2003 - 09:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 6 September 2003 - 09:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-slimboyfatz@6 September 2003 - 03:57
Totally agree with people slating 90/00&#39;s Horror flicks (Scream, Jeepers Creepers, I Know what ya did last Tuesday&#33;?&#33;?&#33;)...They&#39;re all piss poor excuses for horror, Like Dawsons Creek on Bad Acid and PMT, they just dont scare ya..make ya feel uncomfortable etc...Thats a combo of things, and i&#39;ll let BAD acting slide coz 70/80&#39;s horror flicks had some of the worst acting ever commmited to cellophane&#33;?&#33; In the 80&#39;s, horror movies looked more Raw, shoestring budgets, unknown actors etc..and i think that definetely helped tha genre at the time..Maybe the Horror flick as we knew it has been and gone, had their time..coz this goes back to the question of the thread itself, about no good movies nowadays and i think its a combination of things...some styles of a certain genre have now gone...Horror flicks (made on the cheap, the argento stuff etc), Action movies (in the style of Arnies/Stallones 80&#39;s stuff, wave after wave of bad guys getting mown down), these type of flicks we all enjoyed immensely and i think thats what people&nbsp; think back to when judging todays movies.........Dont get me wrong some modern stuff has been f***in great-
The Usual suspects
Heat
Silence of the Lambs
Blade
The Matrix etc .etc...

Beverley Hills cop
Robocop
Predator
The Empire strikes back
Rambo 2

i don&#39;t understand as both group have some realy good movies in them [/b][/quote]
Its sorta Tongue in Cheek in m8...and also the list for Older flicks would be much extensive than the more modern movies (but i thought i had typed enough already).. ;)

The Horror fanatic
09-07-2003, 05:02 AM
and the end of the 70s to the mid 80s did spur some films being banned in the uk. Exorcist just aint scary at all. But i saw maniac other day uncut and man some of the stuff he does in it, no wonder it was banned. He blows this guys head to bits with a shotgun, real good stuff. They seem too scared to do it with some style nowadays, but i will give thumbd up to the following 3.
Final destination 2, totally ruled for the death scenes
freddy vs jason, because it was just ten times better than i expected
jeepers creepers 2, because it pissed on the 1st one and the killings were better as well. But if you want gore you cannot go wrong with any argento film, man did he go over the top in some of his horror films, no wonder i am a fan

ehnoismemu
09-07-2003, 08:47 AM
me.

Gooch2k
09-07-2003, 09:06 AM
I agree. This year has been dire for movies with only a few exceptions.

asmithz
09-07-2003, 09:09 AM
75% are crap not 95 thats way to high there are some discent one you just have to know what they are.

Turd Ferguson
09-07-2003, 09:44 AM
I would say the vast majority of new movies are rubbish, but 95% is probably a little high.

The figure is probably closer to 78.3%

The Horror fanatic
10-03-2003, 05:32 AM
well i usually see 1 turkey in 10, and at least 4 or 5 are okay. maybe 1 or 2 are brilliant. as for the rest they are very good. so for me it would probably be 10 to 50 per cent.

AngryChick
10-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Down with the crappy movies&#33;&#33; :angry:

We want some good entertainment dammit&#33; And we know you have the money to do it Hollywood&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; So don&#39;t be mad at us if we want to download all your garbage movies instead of paying to see them. Start making good movies again and people will actually fork over their hard earned money to go see it.

Jay
10-03-2003, 06:06 AM
gotta say yes

huuramis
10-04-2003, 10:55 AM
your wrong.

95% of the people todey just expect to much from movies. theres nothing wrong with most movies, just ignorant people that want every single movie that comes out to be exactly how they want it.

DarthInsinuate
10-04-2003, 12:51 PM
i think 95% of movies have always been crap, it&#39;s kinda how distributors make money - they only let cinemas have the good movies if they also buy the crap ones