PDA

View Full Version : Problems Playing Dvd Ripped Avi Files

carkeen
06-03-2003, 08:19 AM
hi there, i have problems playing dvd ripped movies that are converted into avi format. the sound is ok but the video is kind of lag/freeze/not smooth/no moving. i tried playing others avi files like "friends" with no problems.

i have also installed all possible codecs i've found on the web, i have the kazaalite codec, divx 5.05 player, 3.xx codec bla bla bla.

does the problem comes from my computer? im using celeron 400, with build-in graphic card 8mb, 156 ram.......

i tired playing the file (movie: freddy got fingered and the royal tenebaums) with divx player, W Media player 9, power dvd xp, avi preview but the result is still the same. or is it because of the file is ripped from a dvd? my cheap pc will certainly not be able to play a dvd file because of the graphic card problems.

please help!!! :(

ck-uk
06-03-2003, 08:31 AM
M8 ur specs may b a bit under,hav u tried playin'ur avi's with a
lite player like videolan or bsplayer :D

dumbster
06-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Since I don't know exactly what kind of AVI you're having problems with, I'm not sure about this, but; my guess is it's some kind of a vcd file. In that case; your box might be a big part of the problem. But advice you to download SVCD-player. It's a killer program (and free) that plays these files just fine, even on slower boxes! Sorry i don't have a link for it...

carkeen
06-03-2003, 09:37 AM
i've downloaded bsplayer and videolan, i can only hear the sound but no video.

and i cant find the svcd player.... can some one please give me the link :(

i have no problem playing other avi files with no "dvd ripped" word in the file's name.

ck-uk
06-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by carkeen@3 June 2003 - 10:37
i've downloaded bsplayer and videolan, i can only hear the sound but no video.

and i cant find the svcd player.... can some one please give me the link :(

i have no problem playing other avi files with no "dvd ripped" word in the file's name.
Carkeen uninstall all ur codecs,dowload and install the kazaalite codec pack,then tri and play the files

kazaalite codec pack (http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm)
Bs players included with the codec pack,so watch u dont install it twice.
I think theres a svcd decode include as well. :D

Chriscom
06-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Same thing here. I have a 400 MHz AMD processor with 256MB of RAM. I have an 8MB ATI all-in-wonder card in the computer in case we move the satelitte in this room and I wanna watch TV :) But right now I'm using a 32MB Verto PCI graphics card (nVidia TNT2 chip).

I downloaded The Fast and the Furious and using AVI preview it will skip and get behind on the audio where people will talk and then you'll see their lips move 5 seconds later. However, in AVI preview, when it's processing the audio bar has more than the video bar by about 1/5 or so. Could that be the problem?

I might have found the SVCD-player, but I'm downloading it now. Is this name "Elecard MPEG2 (SVCD) player"? There are acouple more I found doing a quick google search that I might try, too.

One more question, what is the best and quickest way to burn the DVD rips to CDs and watch on my DVD player? I don't care if it loses quality, but seeing as it takes about 3 hours to encode a 130 meg video file, it would take quick awhile to do a 800 meg one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chriscom
06-03-2003, 02:55 PM
I just got finished downloaded the SVCD player I mentioned above and it works better, not very much skipping, but the audio is off. I can even stop playing it, move the slider acouple minutes into the movie and the sound will be off from when I hit play. Now I'm thinking that the audio and video just aren't in sync. I'll have to try and download another movie. Thanks,
Chris

MUSLEMAN
06-03-2003, 08:15 PM
play it with a dvd player like power dvd, that will should do it. :lol:

Chriscom
06-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Well the DVD player (Power DVD) didn't work, same result. The sound is always ahead of the movie. It does the same in AVIpreview, Windows Media Player, and just about everything else I've tried. The except is BSplayer. The sound works perfectly using BSplayer, however at certain points it will start jumping between 2 frames. Sometimes it will get out of it and continue, but sometimes I can't get it to. It happens quite a bit. Any suggestions for fixing that in BSplayer? Or is there some other good player I can try? Can anybody explain why the heck it's doing this???? Thanks in advance,
Chris

dumbster
06-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Chriscom@3 June 2003 - 14:45
Same thing here.  I have a 400 MHz AMD processor with 256MB of RAM.  I have an 8MB ATI all-in-wonder card in the computer in case we move the satelitte in this room and I wanna watch TV  :)  But right now I'm using a 32MB Verto PCI graphics card (nVidia TNT2 chip).

I downloaded The Fast and the Furious and using AVI preview it will skip and get behind on the audio where people will talk and then you'll see their lips move 5 seconds later.  However, in AVI preview, when it's processing the audio bar has more than the video bar by about 1/5 or so.  Could that be the problem?

I might have found the SVCD-player, but I'm downloading it now.  Is this name "Elecard MPEG2 (SVCD) player"?  There are acouple more I found doing a quick google search that I might try, too.

One more question, what is the best and quickest way to burn the DVD rips to CDs and watch on my DVD player?  I don't care if it loses quality, but seeing as it takes about 3 hours to encode a 130 meg video file, it would take quick awhile to do a 800 meg one.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance,
Chris
Ok. Found the svcd player (lost it, and it's link, some time ago after the mother of all crashes). It's called STHSVCD. The best one i ever tried and the one i was talking about before:
STHSVCD (http://www.outcold.com/store/faq.html)
Fixed me right up on a real slow box!!! :lol:

MUSLEMAN
06-04-2003, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry i thought you said you didn't get a picture, if you have it and they don't match then you might be right the audio and video might not be in sync, but if you have tried every thing else and you don't want to download a fresh file and source you can use TMPGEnc to split the audio and video and then synce them your self, but i think it would be faster to download a new one.

Chriscom
06-04-2003, 01:48 AM
I'm downloading STHSVCD right now and I'll see if that works.

MUSLEMAN, well I'm using AVI Preview to watch what I have downloaded of Happy Gilmore (about half) and it's doing the same thing, but this time AVI Preview is showing that the audio and video are the same. Also, I can play the file we've been talking about (Fast and the Furious) in BSplayer, and the audio is in sync. The only problem with that is about every 5 seconds the video kinda freezes and jumps between two frames. It will do this for acouple seconds and then will go back to the movie. Thanks for you help so far, but if you have any more suggestions, send them my way. Thanks again,
Chris

Chriscom
06-04-2003, 02:14 AM
STHSVCD didn't work, it wouldn't even open the movie. I'm going to uninstall my codecs and reinstall them to see if that helps. Thanks,

dumbster
06-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Chriscom@4 June 2003 - 02:14
STHSVCD didn't work, it wouldn't even open the movie.  I'm going to uninstall my codecs and reinstall them to see if that helps.  Thanks,
Sorry I couldn't make it work (it obviously wasn't a svcd file). But on the bright side; now i just think it's a question of a slim player and the right codecs ;)

Chriscom
06-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Yep, same here. When I use the div3 codec in BSplayer, the video jumps. If I change the settings in BSplayer to use the divx 4 codec, that's where the audio goes ahead of the video. Now I just need to find out how to fix those codecs I guess. Thanks for you help,
Chris

MUSLEMAN
06-04-2003, 06:33 AM
try playing it in winamp3 or media player9 some times that works for me don't know why

carkeen
06-04-2003, 11:35 AM
im using WMP 9 and i have the latest winamp 2.91 that plays video. winamp3 will takes up many of my resources and make my cheap pc slow.

i have some problem with my winamp 2.91, when i first installed, it can play a video narmally, but after some codec uninstalling and installing i cant see any video when i play a movie file. i can only hear sound. please help :D

MUSLEMAN
06-04-2003, 11:58 AM
is this with all your video's??

carkeen
06-04-2003, 12:02 PM
yup, those which i've tried playing last time are now left with sound, no video.

uninstall and then install? :D

MUSLEMAN
06-04-2003, 12:05 PM
hmm i normally get them to play in one of these power dvd, videolan, bsplayer,winamp3,media player 9 one of these always playes it you have tried all aside from winamp3 you said?

Chriscom
06-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Whoa, I haven't tried Winamp 2.91, but Winamp 3 is the worst. If Winamp 2.91 works then post here and I'll try that.

I finished downloading Happy Gilmore and when I play it in BSplayer it doesn't jump like fast and the furious, but it seems like audio still tries to get ahead of the video. So about every 10 seconds the video skips to keep up. It's watchable this way, but kinda annoying. Thanks,
Chris

carkeen
06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
yeah, i have the same problem too, the video seems to be too slow. the audio goes ahead of the show, it annoying. this happens to some files only. any sollutions? :(

Chriscom
06-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Well I don't know what I did. Usually before I would try to play a movie I would close things like Kazaa Lite and IE. Well I started encoding The Fast and the Furious (using Nero) which slows down the computer. I also left Kazza Lite open downloading and I played the fast and furious full screen and amazingly it worked pretty darn good. I watched the whole movie and there were acouple times it would get behind, but it would always catch back up quick (this happened about 4 or 5 noticable times). I don't know what it was (maybe my computer likes to be challenged??)

On the other hand if I play happy gilmore (which is full screen dvd rip, instead of widescreen like fast and furious) it will slow down quite a bit. Oh yeah, this was all in BSPlayer. I doubt that helps anybody, but it might. Thanks,

dumbster
06-05-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Chriscom@4 June 2003 - 16:29

I finished downloading Happy Gilmore and when I play it in BSplayer it doesn't jump like fast and the furious, but it seems like audio still tries to get ahead of the video.  So about every 10 seconds the video skips to keep up.  It's watchable this way, but kinda annoying.  Thanks,
Chris
Bsplayer is a good player, but not the best. Try downloading Zoomplayer instead. There's a lot of options in that player that's booth good and easy to access. Try the "filter properties" and lower quality and stuff till your box plays it alright. If that doesn't work it's probably a bad rip... :ph34r:

carkeen
06-05-2003, 09:51 AM
oh i forgot something, i dont know if its related.

those avi files that i have no problem playing are usually around < or > 100mb.

while those which will lag are those around 200mb or more.....

does this have anything to do with the problems? :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

ck-uk
06-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Imo...only way ur goin to fix ur problems is to upgrade ur cpu:D