PDA

View Full Version : Need a good psu for <$120

mbucari1
04-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey, I need a good PSU for less than $120 that will support the ollowing hardware...

2x WD Raptor HDD
1 Maxtor HDD
1 WD2500JS HDD
Ge-force 7950GT
Gigabyte 965p-ds3 mobo (24 pin)
e6600 C2D
1 optical drive

Needs to have enough stability to be good for overclocking.

clocker
04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Corsair 520. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001)

S!X
04-19-2007, 11:38 PM

He did say for less than $120, if spend a bit more and get that corsair though. Highly recommend it :cool:

clocker
04-20-2007, 12:44 AM

He did say for less than $120, if spend a bit more and get that corsair though. Highly recommend it :cool:
A classic example of the disparity between what one wants and what one needs.

mbucari1
04-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Well, There is no dispute that I NEED a new PSU (See (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardware/t-problem-trying-narrow-down-175060)) But I also WANT one that has consistent power output. However, I can only AFFORD $120 at the most.

S!X
04-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Well, There is no dispute that I NEED a new PSU (See (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/hardware/t-problem-trying-narrow-down-175060)) But I also WANT one that has consistent power output. However, I can only AFFORD $120 at the most.

That corsair is $114.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate. You can't scrounge up anything in order to get it?

mbucari1
04-20-2007, 04:16 AM

That corsair is $114.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate. You can't scrounge up anything in order to get it?
I guess I can put it on a credit card for now. However, I do want to try to get my money back for the old one.

UPDATE* Well, I broke down and bought it. I just hope that's ALL that's wrong with my pc.

S!X
04-20-2007, 04:33 AM
UPDATE* Well, I broke down and bought it.

:P This PSU shouldn't give you any problems.

mbucari1
04-20-2007, 05:18 AM
UPDATE* Well, I broke down and bought it.

:P This PSU shouldn't give you any problems.
Yeah, I hope not, but even more I hope that the old one didn't take any of my other hardware with it.

clocker
04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
I've personally built over 30 PCs using the Corsairs (probably 20 of the 520's and 10 of the 620's- including my personal machines) with absolutely no indication of a PSU related problem, so I'm sure you'll be fine.
It's my favorite low end PSU.

When you first install it, leave everything unhooked save the motherboard and vid card (if required) and POST the PC.
Assuming all goes well- we'll keep our fingers crossed for you- connect the HDD and rePOST.
Then the opticals.

Bon chance.

mbucari1
04-20-2007, 11:56 PM
OK, thanks! $120 is low-end?

Anyway, why should I post before I hook up the HDD's?

lynx
04-21-2007, 08:56 AM

Anyway, why should I post before I hook up the HDD's?To make sure that it does. You need to be sure that the mobo is ok before you proceed any further.

If you connect other things up and it doesn't work, how do you know where the problem is? The only way is to remove everything again. Take those few seconds to prove that it is ok and you don't have that worry.

clocker
04-21-2007, 11:43 AM

Yes, it is.
Given my druthers I'd have specced a higher output unit for your rig just to have some headroom but the budget didn't allow.

Elvenmunky
04-21-2007, 01:47 PM
this is a noob question but is ATX a brand or type of PSU?

..and is ThermalTake a good make?

clocker
04-21-2007, 02:24 PM
"ATX" describes the technical specs of the unit, not the brand.

Thermaltake (like many other brands) rebadges units made by other makers.
Thus, one "Thermaltake" PSU may be excellent while another is junk.

Check out Jonnyguru's website for the best info about power supplies.

Elvenmunky
04-21-2007, 03:53 PM
cheers mate

Seedler
04-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I've personally built over 30 PCs using the Corsairs (probably 20 of the 520's and 10 of the 620's- including my personal machines) with absolutely no indication of a PSU related problem, so I'm sure you'll be fine.
It's my favorite low end PSU.

When you first install it, leave everything unhooked save the motherboard and vid card (if required) and POST the PC.
Assuming all goes well- we'll keep our fingers crossed for you- connect the HDD and rePOST.
Then the opticals.

Bon chance.

You call the Cosair a LOW-END PSU?

WTF?

What do you consider mid-range, high-end, and top-of-the-line in terms of PSU?:blink:

Virtualbody1234
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Remember that clocker defines low-end differently than everyone else.

clocker
04-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Remember that clocker defines low-end differently than everyone else.
Not everyone but yeah, probably differently than most.
Forget for a moment my personal machines- which are toys/hobbies-and look at the PCs I sell.
After I've overcome the huge price/advertising hurdle of competing with the big guys and actually convinced a customer to have us build their computer, I can't afford to have something as mundane as the PSU take out the machine. Furthermore, power supplies can be the root cause of all sorts of weird little glitches that can take hours to track down, if they get caught at all. It's just not worth the post-sale trouble to cut corners and save a few bucks.

Also, it's common for my customers to willy-nilly add components with no thought whatsoever of the increased power draw, so I have to build in some headroom to account for all sorts of contingencies just so we don't look bad after Little Johnny decides to upgrade his video setup to SLI or something.

So calling a Corsair 520 "lowend" isn't snobbery (although I have no problem with that description at all), it's actually self-preservation and to a certain extent, protecting the customer from himself.

@Seedler...the units I consider "high end" change constantly...I monitor Jonnyguru's website almost daily and make decisions based on the most current info (and availability).
I'm not a "bigger is always better" advocate (I have yet to sell a >1KW PSU) but I also realize that although power supplies are not as sexy as say, vid cards, they are a very important core component of a nice PC and shouldn't be ignored.

Elvenmunky
04-22-2007, 09:59 PM
sorry to be off topic but does anyone recommend me getting a ThermalTake PSU?

DemonicFire
04-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Would yall consider this a good PSU:

http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BCYLFCqCSJVkTNzZp-NjyFA**.node1%7D/product/4806800;jsessionid=CYLFCqCSJVkTNzZp-NjyFA**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Reason im asking is cause im needing a upgrade on mine as its going bad really fast (Antec Smartpower 400watt thats only been used for 6 months).

Even if some people say its ;robably not that great, I will probably still get it as its only $60 after the rebate is sent in and such.

clocker
04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
The Raidmax Volcano Brings the best in modular power! The Volcano features a black brushed aluminum finish, dual 80mm blue LED cooling fans, custom tribal hydraulic machine punch outs, MODUALAR smart wire management system, and 630 watts of power! This power supply has everything you need and more!
I would certainly be leery of a PSU who's "custom tribal machine punch outs" (WTF?) are more important than the actual power specs.

From now on I'm just going to answer every PSU question with THIS (http://www.jonnyguru.com/).

mbucari1
04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
It just arrived and OMG it's BEAUTIFUL! really nice, I've never had modular before. However, the cables seem a little thin. Oh well, It will be easier to fit them.

HELP ME!! I installed the new PSU, but it will not post! No drives connected, but still won't post! It powers up for a few seconds, then shuts down then powers up again and so on and so on etc.

clocker
04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Do you have the front panel connectors hooked up?
If so, disconnect them and try starting by just momentarily bridging the two pins for the start button with a screwdriver tip.

I assume you have the RAM, video card, keyboard and mouse hooked up, right?

mbucari1
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Do you have the front panel connectors hooked up?
If so, disconnect them and try starting by just momentarily bridging the two pins for the start button with a screwdriver tip.

I assume you have the RAM, video card, keyboard and mouse hooked up, right?
Al right, I figured it out! When I was trying to narrow down the problem initially, I had switched the ram to positions 3&4 when I had to fill 1&2 first. I switched them back and it works great now! Thank you clocker for the PSU suggestion. I'm glad it's modular and I hope it will serve me well in the years to come.

clocker
04-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Me too...I couldn't bear the guilt.

will.atkins
05-02-2007, 06:35 AM
asaka is very quiet, powerful and good value only like $80 for 420Watt

mbucari1
05-05-2007, 02:12 AM
asaka is very quiet, powerful and good value only like $80 for 420Watt
it's no longer an issue, but thanks.