PDA

View Full Version : AVG is pissing me off...

Seedler
04-21-2007, 04:14 PM
It would random use around 10% processing power just idle in the background, creating massive lag when I play games and I can't disable the complete system scan that initiates itself every time I boot into windows. Also, the complete system scan takes FOREVER to complete (Hours after hours after hours...), and I remember using Mcfee it only took at most 2 hours.

How do I frigging optimize AVG...:frusty:

I only use it because it's free...

allen(s)
04-21-2007, 04:28 PM
same, i went back to zone alarm because i had too many problems with it, and after uninstalling it, it's still showing 2 running processes :blink:

pandapop
04-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I started out using AVG and had the same problems. i heard a quote once, "AVG isnt worth the price you pay for it" lol.

Anyway, ive been running NOD32 ever since, smallest memory usage of all the good anti-virus software. highly recommend it.

S!X
04-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Apparently Kaspersky is one of the best, I may have a go at it.

peat moss
04-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Apparently Kaspersky is one of the best, I may have a go at it.

Good choice ! Why use AVG just because it's free ? Ca is free also ( one year ) and a much better program . JMHO

Appzalien
04-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I use avg and have no problems, of course I have it schedualed to run its scan starting at 3:30am because I have three hard drives, and I only leave it run over night if I'm downloading something. Your problem could be caused by alot of unnecessary files, cluttered registry and fragmented hard drive. So before you give a free gift the boot, clean up the drive and defrag with something like Perfect disk that will defrag system files and the page file as well during a boot. If the drives are fragmented Avg has to search out all the fragments, jumping all over the drive, in order to check for viruses.

Smith
04-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Nod32 is free too.. :)

Seedler
04-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Nod32 is free too.. :)

Will give it a try:D

Skengeboy
04-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Use the NOD32 tryout version, and then you patch it with NSANE-fix, which is completly legal (http://www.nsaneproductions.com/) to get 40 000 years free updates.

S!X
04-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Use the NOD32 tryout version, and then you patch it with NSANE-fix, which is completly legal (http://www.nsaneproductions.com/) to get 40 000 years free updates.

It's not legal! :ph34r:

lee551
04-24-2007, 01:18 AM
It would random use around 10% processing power just idle in the background, creating massive lag when I play games and I can't disable the complete system scan that initiates itself every time I boot into windows. Also, the complete system scan takes FOREVER to complete (Hours after hours after hours...), and I remember using Mcfee it only took at most 2 hours.

How do I frigging optimize AVG...:frusty:

I only use it because it's free...

do you terminate the on-access scanner? i click 'terminate' on that every time i boot up. i don't know what other scan it would be doing every time you boot up.

DeepN3lue
05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Use Nod32 :)

zapjb
05-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Been using KAV6 for about a year.

Went whole hog yesterday & am running KIS6.

I am amazed. KIS6 runs better & ligkter than KAV6 alone.

mossy123
05-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Symantec Client used to be the best but for some reason it looks like the Syamntec crew have put thier feet up and started to relax. They must have 2 women on each side masssaging thier backs while they are working because all syamntec anti virus products have been lame in the last year or 2.

NOD32 is the new king in town!

peat moss
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Been using KAV6 for about a year.

Went whole hog yesterday & am running KIS6.

I am amazed. KIS6 runs better & ligkter than KAV6 alone.

Ya good choice Zap , that's what I'm using too . I'm trying out Kav6 and "just" Windows firewall on a friends new install . I installed using XP Black and thought it was the Internet security suite , silly me . :D

david02
05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
???

I use AVG a very long time and I do not have these problems. Can't you just simply turn it off in avg? my AVG does not start scanning , only when I want to .

rightclick on scheduler and select scheduled tasks.here you can chance that as far as I recall.

btw I use the free version. the firewall I use is the inbuild firewall from win XP.

never ever had a problem. my system runs smoothly. ok ok maybe there are some ''phone home'' proggies. But I do not care.

My system is still clean. I scan sometimes with the online housecall from trend micro. one , if not the best online virus scanner just to doublecheck. It does not find any dangerous code either.

gogurles
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
i use AVG for about 2 years its grait sofare

evilpants
05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
dump avg its crap. nod32 ftw.