PDA

View Full Version : Cant Everyone Calm Down ?!

crazy_billy_bats
06-04-2003, 09:29 PM
I mean, i know this is a forum and people are supposed to debate topics rationally, but doesnt anyone agree with me that more often than not people get a little bit carried away !!?

Calm down please! i dont like seeing so many heated arguments, resulting in insults and hurtful comments.
Just thought i'd let you know.
Sleep well. :D

Lamsey
06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
I'm trying to discuss things in a civilised and rational manner.

As you will see from my discussions with the Bass Man, Summerlinda and PBMontgolfier.

I take no responsibility for the actions of others - and yes, we can go OTT sometimes.

tite-wad
06-04-2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.w3.org/Icons/blank.gif

insanebassman
Most of my arguements are not heated, I just drop an opinion and wander off, like a free range chicken! (sorry, crack at Lamsey there)

I really enjoy much of the debate on this board, and would hate to see it cool off!

and I like your name there Crazy_billy_bats

edit: I mispelled sumthin'

Jimmy_rabbit_2k3
well i know what your saying but some ppl just can't be nice sorry to say but they just dont have it in them and thats life sorry if i pissed you off in anyway :ph34r:

crazy_billy_bats
06-04-2003, 09:34 PM
i dont mean to offend anyone :rolleyes: !

and bassman....who couldnt like ur name dude!? :D

and well i suppose the "ape" comes out in all of us now and then, causing us to be uncivilized.
Maybe they can be civilized, but i never liked them Planet of the ape movies.

Illuminati
06-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Well I'm usually calm and try to be so in my posts, but we all have our p*ssed-off times. I've just had one an hour ago in another thread (which is hopefully over for all involved :( )

But yeah - Guys! Peace. and. Love B)

Otherwise, the place is gonna go :nuke: (;))

Buffalo
06-04-2003, 10:38 PM
I've been drawn into agro by certain members, but I really agree with you billy, why can't we all just express our opinions freely without agro!
Bottom line is:- everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is just what it is whether you agree with it or not!

Stay cool everyone (including me) :D

Peace :)

Jonno B)

crazy_billy_bats
06-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@4 June 2003 - 22:38
I've been drawn into agro by certain members, but I really agree with you billy, why can't we all just express our opinions freely without agro!
Bottom line is:- everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is just what it is whether you agree with it or not!

Jonno B)
what can i say jonno?

ur my kinda guy :D

hobbes
06-04-2003, 10:48 PM
It all boils down to how you view yourself and what you have waiting for when you leave the forum.

Type 1 flamers (Trolls) are desperately seeking attention and negative attention is better than none.
They are also trying to establish themselves as "unique individuals" to escape from their otherwise nondescript and anonymous existences.
Their posts are obvious attempts to draw irate responses, so the more you respond to their posts, the more you fan their "flames" <_<

Type 2 flamers are the people who can be quite civil while on a neutral thread or if you are supporting their point of view, but degenerate into name calling instantly at the slightest criticism because this forum is how they define themselves and to be "beaten" is the equivalent to "death".

You have to learn to ignore these losers and stay on the high road. Here is my response to someone who just called me every expletive in the book and a few of his own.

" You chose the opposite path of vicious personal insults, rather than to give me the benefit of the doubt (which I honestly would have given you, had the tables been turned). This to me, stunk of an insecure adolescent who had to save face and could not risk exposing himself by extending a conciliatory olive branch. Defensiveness and anger are the hallmark someone with issues. "

So, who cares about flamers, just patronizingly tell them that they need a "time out", and move on.

Flames cannot exist in a vacuum, so only you can prevent forest fires
-partially stolen from Smokey the Bear

On the other hand, good topics generate real emotion and this is fine. Passionate exchanges are what we seek and hopefully both sides can learn from the other.

I must admit that every now and then, I burn incandescent when someone posts something that is intellectually dishonest. They are simply manipulating words to fit their agenda, rather than trying to actually discuss a topic. That shizzles my nizzle :angry:

insanebassman
06-04-2003, 10:50 PM
I was with you hobbes, until the shizzle part, then I was once again hopelessly lost... :D

Lamsey
06-04-2003, 10:54 PM
As I said, there is an entirely civilised discussion going on. Check out the &#39;hitler enigma&#39; topic.

A good example of how to exchange views in a courteous, respectful manner.

Curley
06-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Sadly, I can only see this problem getting worse, with the summer holidays approaching & what not. Seems to me that the majority of flamers here are teenagers (yes, I know some older ones flame too, but its mainly the younger ones who cause the aggro).

I think whats needed is a couple more mods to try & keep this board as trouble free as possible. Before anyone comments, no i&#39;m not hinting to be mod, its something I wouldn&#39;t enjoy doing one bit :D

All I can suggest is that you guys learn to ignore.

Buffalo
06-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by crazy_billy_bats+4 June 2003 - 22:41--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazy_billy_bats @ 4 June 2003 - 22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--CELEBS_ARE_US@4 June 2003 - 22:38
I&#39;ve been drawn into agro by certain members, but I really agree with you billy, why can&#39;t we all just express our opinions freely without agro&#33;
Bottom line is:- everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is just what it is whether you agree with it or not&#33;

Jonno B)
what can i say jonno?

ur my kinda guy :D [/b][/quote]
Yeah man&#33;

Join me in an ancient Jamacan ritual&#33; (in your case) :D
Ancient english ritual (in my case) :D

Jonno B)

Tyke
06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by curley
All I can suggest is that you guys learn to ignore.

It&#39;s a shame no-one&#39;s written a plonk mod for invision forums - that would be great :D

Anyway, I&#39;m plonking the lot of you now, otherwise I&#39;ll never get that futurama episode watched :lol:

}{R}{O}{N}{
06-05-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by crazy_billy_bats@4 June 2003 - 14:29
I mean, i know this is a forum and people are supposed to debate topics rationally, but doesnt anyone agree with me that more often than not people get a little bit carried away &#33;&#33;?

Calm down please&#33; i dont like seeing so many heated arguments, resulting in insults and hurtful comments.
Just thought i&#39;d let you know.
Sleep well. :D
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue] I AGREE WITH YOU 100% CRAZY BILLY BATS FOR SOME PEOPLE IT DONT TAKE TO MUCH TO HURT THERE FEELING. AND AS ALL MEMBERS TO K-LITE FORUM WE SHOULD TRY TO GET A LONG WITH EACH OUTHER AND HELP WHEN ITS NEEDED. WE ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS OUR WORSE MEMBER..

SO PLEASE BE NICE TO EACH OUTHER. i KNOW YOU CAN&#33;&#33;

SuperJude™
06-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Heh if people were not so weak minded and easilly exited it would not be so amusing to actually do the verbal jousting thing at a message board.

The internet is about 2 things. Entertainment and education. The sooner you accept that the sooner you can understand why "flaming" people is a bit of both.

Like the guy who just posted, in ALL CAPS, almost begging to have some snide comment made about their lack of ability online in the midst of a thread about chilling out.

Ironony?

-SJ™

insanebassman
06-05-2003, 05:09 PM
As usual, SJ, your pound the nail into the head&#33; B) :D :P

Neil__
06-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Yeah subtle SJ but you got a point
The problem I got is when people make shit up or twist what you said just to spoil a good thread.
that&#39;s not fun thats bitterness.

Chill a little and even the arguments will be fun.

crazy_billy_bats
06-05-2003, 08:19 PM
why cant there be more love peeps? :D

there should be no bitterness and hatred at all....

Curley
06-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by crazy_billy_bats@5 June 2003 - 21:19

Yeah, why?

crazy_billy_bats
06-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Curley+5 June 2003 - 21:12--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Curley @ 5 June 2003 - 21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--crazy_billy_bats@5 June 2003 - 21:19

Yeah, why? [/b][/quote]
i really dont know....
i wish i had an answer, but it appears we may never have one...