PB Montgolfier
06-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Someone should look into it.

Z
06-04-2003, 11:08 PM
i take philosophy class. :P good stuff.

imported_stg1123
06-04-2003, 11:10 PM
My vote goes that this is the deepest topic ever started.

Z
06-04-2003, 11:11 PM
ive seen deeper. :P
we had a thread about philosphy a while back. the meaning of life and stuff. i dont feel like discussing and debating now though.

imported_stg1123
06-04-2003, 11:13 PM
no but really the whole eloquence of how it was put.

I think someone should look into it.
Actually I think hes as lazy as you are Z .
Hey PB why don't you look into it for us then tell us what you find. If its good enough I'll debate you!

WeeMouse
06-04-2003, 11:14 PM
Philosophy is trying to discover why. At least that is the Mouse's humble understanding! :huh:

I've never really been bothered with why. If I ask myself a question, I want to be sure that there is an answer for it (ie where is the cheeeez? Oh yeah - I ate it all!)

but then again, i am very tired.... :)

insanebassman
06-04-2003, 11:14 PM
though I have been accused of it, Philosophy is far too passive. I am a much better barbarian

imported_stg1123
06-04-2003, 11:15 PM
barbarianism is truthfully a lot simpler and less tiring on the mind

Pitbul
06-04-2003, 11:16 PM
i like Philosiphy im only 15 but still enjoy reading other ppls view on things. it amazes me how someone can think up and put all this stuff together and make it seem as tho its tru but still u know its still just an opinion

insanebassman
06-04-2003, 11:16 PM
that would be why! I am not truly that intelligent... Hell I can barely spell the word. I do , on the other hand, know how to use both destructive and creative forces with fire and blades....

Z
06-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@4 June 2003 - 18:14
Philosophy is trying to discover why. At least that is the Mouse's humble understanding! :huh:

I've never really been bothered with why. If I ask myself a question, I want to be sure that there is an answer for it (ie where is the cheeeez? Oh yeah - I ate it all!)

but then again, i am very tired.... :)
why what? there are many umbrella questions (ie. meaning of life, existence of god, etc..) and tons of questions under those. i have a debate next tuesday. and a project due friday. the project is on "what is art" and my debate topic is "a govt's primary objective is to ensure stability and prosperity in society at ALL COSTS" . i am against this. can you guys give me some points for it?? :P

Skweeky
06-04-2003, 11:19 PM
/me loves philosophy

I took this logics-class at uni last semester and it was pretty cool. With philosophy you can prove anything :lol:

imported_stg1123
06-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Z that is a very heavy topic and if you are against it that is going to be a tough one but not impossible. Which side of the debate do you need points for?

Kid1A
06-04-2003, 11:23 PM
A ? for you Philisopical people

To What Extent Can Thought Develop Without Language?

Z
06-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by stg1123@4 June 2003 - 18:20
Z that is a very heavy topic and if you are against it that is going to be a tough one but not impossible. Which side of the debate do you need points for?
i am against the statement. so far i have:
- people's rights and freedoms should not be violated
- a perfect society is almost considered communism, and has many fallacies.

i am going to focus on the part "at all costs" because that is the big issue. no wanted this side of this topic (i had a different one before) but i volunteered to suck up to the teacher. shes such a joker. neways, some other guy joined me, so at least im not by myself. the other side is four people i think. damn. :lol:

Skweeky
06-04-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Kid1A@5 June 2003 - 00:23

tricky one....

thoughts often are more images then anything else....but language helps you to develop urself....

I think thought without knowing language are more pretty limited

Lamsey
06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Philosophy is whatever you make it to be.

imported_stg1123
06-04-2003, 11:41 PM
@Z
ok. A perfect society is in truth a synthesis between the good of the group existing in a balance with the good of the individual. So the individuals rights are affected when a government can take any actions form an "at all costs" perspective. I have an old line which says that a governments job is to make sure the trash is taken away and our toilets flush propewrly through a decent sewege system. When they get that right they can start with health, eduaction, welfare, etc. If the government are running the country correctly (see it like a business) then they should be in profit like any well running company and then they wouldn't need "all costs" to ensure wealth and stability.
another point. Stability is a personal thing, you could argue that it has nothing to do with the govt. and that man's stability is dependant on a variety of personal and interpersonal factors.
Hope that helps a little

TheDave
06-04-2003, 11:44 PM
how can you learn philosophy. i thought it was stuff what people think up

PB Montgolfier
06-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@4 June 2003 - 23:34
Philosophy is whatever you make it to be.
Look a glibbist.

Lamsey
06-04-2003, 11:51 PM
:D

Lamsey & Co. - facetious, tongue-in-cheek remarks a speciality!

smellycat
06-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Both thought and language are mediums of our perception of reality.

Thought is internal.
Language is about communication, and therefore external.

Language is the visible/audible representation of thought.

Thought "Objectifies" reality. eg:
book, chair, table, love, philosopy, kazaa, self
Forms a framework of how we fit in with reality.

When a race has several words for the word snow, then
their view of snow is different from mine.

Does an aboriginal child, when forced to learn English,
have a different percepion of reality to his elders?

Does someone who was born deaf, dumb and blind think?
They may have brain activity reponsive to outside stimuli
but do they think? Or do they just live in some black
foggy dreamworld?

Z
06-05-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by stg1123@4 June 2003 - 18:41
@Z
ok. A perfect society is in truth a synthesis between the good of the group existing in a balance with the good of the individual. So the individuals rights are affected when a government can take any actions form an "at all costs" perspective. I have an old line which says that a governments job is to make sure the trash is taken away and our toilets flush propewrly through a decent sewege system. When they get that right they can start with health, eduaction, welfare, etc. If the government are running the country correctly (see it like a business) then they should be in profit like any well running company and then they wouldn't need "all costs" to ensure wealth and stability.
another point. Stability is a personal thing, you could argue that it has nothing to do with the govt. and that man's stability is dependant on a variety of personal and interpersonal factors.
Hope that helps a little
thanks for the help. i think the point "maintain stability and PROSPERITY by any means necessary" is a good point for the other side though. to help a society prosper, you are helping them, giving to them. so "by any means necessary", this is not necessarily a bad thing. how can i object and argue this?

ok, my main point must also object the fact that the govt's #1 priority is making the society stable and prosper. essentially, the govt's main objective should be to help the citizens, ie with healthcare, education, jobs, etc, keep a good economy with international trade, etc. keeping its society, culture, and people stable and prosperous is good, but not first priority. do you think this is a valid point?

Assultsniper
06-05-2003, 05:19 AM
Well Ladies and Gentelmen heres the meaning of life: Be nice to others,respect yourself and every one and everything,eat as much as you need to and kill only for self defence or if you need the food. :D

It's as simple as that the human brain is still not capable of understanding the reason of its existance, it's just not meant to be. I dont belive in any religion but I belive that People should be good to each other no matter what and people should treat animals the same.

What a deep subject.

chalice
06-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Philosophy is the love of knowledge. Nothing more or less. The Greeks coined it. That's their definition and it's good enough for me.

imported_stg1123
06-05-2003, 11:27 AM
ok, my main point must also object the fact that the govt's #1 priority is making the society stable and prosper. essentially, the govt's main objective should be to help the citizens, ie with healthcare, education, jobs, etc, keep a good economy with international trade, etc. keeping its society, culture, and people stable and prosperous is good, but not first priority. do you think this is a valid point?

Yes I think that was what I was trying to get to. Prosperity is nice obviously and helps a lot but doesnt mean Jack if the people are depressed and unhappy. etc...

J'Pol
06-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Assultsniper@7 June 2003 - 00:33
No! the meaning of live cant be explained by humans so instead the meaning of live is these rules to people.

Do you have to comment to everything?
Not everything.

However I feel strangely compelled to comment on the fact that your last post was drivel.

JPaul
08-22-2008, 04:12 PM
That was me as well, the chap who started it.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
@Z
<p>Hope that helps a little

A perfect society cannot be described.
Our intellec, knowledge, opinions are only a reflection of our experiences in life!
You describe this perfect society based on what you've been taught!
I would say it cannot be described with a human brain! A perfect society would have to include "pure" people. "Pure" in its whole meaning!

But a good society could be a communist place (like someone said earlier on). Where every one is equal, everyone has been "brainwashed" to be in complete agreement with his governors rules, ideals.
This means no place for freedom of thinking. Instore a way of thinking in each one of us to follow the rules with a complete natural. The exact same way we don't kill people today. Or in a more obvious situation, where having certain thoughts about some minorities are considered as "bad".
I am not saying be racist... But if the twat next to me wants to express his thoughts about white, blacks, jews, etc. why can't he? So that there is no chance to be persuaded he is right!!! After all, if he says "I hate jews", where's your freedom of making your own choice in agreeing with him or not?

Originally posted by Kid1A@5 June 2003 - 00:23

tricky one....

thoughts often are more images then anything else....but language helps you to develop urself....

I think thought without knowing language are more pretty limited

Develop is not the right word here my friend! How could you possibly develop thoughts with sound?! You can only express them!

Well Ladies and Gentelmen heres the meaning of life: Be nice to others,respect yourself and every one and everything,eat as much as you need to and kill only for self defence or if you need the food. :D

It's as simple as that the human brain is still not capable of understanding the reason of its existance, it's just not meant to be. I dont belive in any religion but I belive that People should be good to each other no matter what and people should treat animals the same.

What a deep subject.

I agree with you, The human brain is not capable of understanding the reason of its existance! IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE!
I do believe in GOD. And our aim is not to understand how everything started (in a scientific way). Even if it is an interesting subject.

Anyway, to put GOD in this question of "why?"
One thing I want you to think about:
Define small and large. You will find out that you can't do so without going all the way to infinity!
So now, what is infinity? Where does it begin? Where does it end?

:D :D :D

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Define small and large. You will find out that you can't do so without going all the way to infinity!

It starts in Croy and ends in a small motorway services just outside of Guildford.

100%
08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Alphabetize a stack of blank paper.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 06:41 PM

It starts in Croy and ends in a small motorway services just outside of Guildford.

Almost funny hehe

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Alphabetize a stack of blank paper.

Alphabetize comes from the word alphabet which means a set of letters, written symbols. Each of which roughly represents a phoneme of a spoken language, either as it exists now or as it was in the past.

So how could you put those two opposites together?
Doesn't make any sens.

100%
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Get the idea across and you are done, let the rest quarrel.

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Almost funny hehe

I'm glad you almost approve.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
lol I think I might get the idea... Not sure?!
Alphabetize as in to sort out in a certain way (i.e. from small to big, etc.???).
Then being controversial in using blank paper as a metaphor to anything identical?

But what is the meaning behind it?

Lol I wanna know now! please tell me :D

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Alphabetize as in to put order in a certain way (i.e. from small to big, etc.???).

What on Earth does that mean, alphabetize to put in order from small to large.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Oups I meant to sort them out.
In french we say to put in order.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Alphabetize as in to put order in a certain way (i.e. from small to big, etc.???).

What on Earth does that mean, alphabetize to put in order from small to large.

Oups I meant to sort them out.
In french we say to put in order.

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes buy why would alphabetize have anything to do with size.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry about the double post earlier.

Alphabetize means "in a certain extrem" to sort out in a logical sequence. Like sort out all the letters starting from A, all the way down to Z. You're not going to put the letter G before the letter D?
Same with sizes! It's either you sort it out from smallest to largest, or from largest to smallest.

That's what I meant, alphabetize = to sort out in a logical sequence.
Do you see what I mean?

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh I see what you're saying.

It's just that it's shite. Alphabetize does not mean to sort in a logical sequence. It means to arrange in alphabetical order (or give an alphabet but that's not important right now.)

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 09:52 PM

It's just that it's shite. Alphabetize does not mean to sort in a logical sequence. It means to arrange in alphabetical order (or give an alphabet but that's not important right now.)

Didn't you understand that we are going a bit futher away from logical thinking?!

If my explanation doesn't make any sens, then explain me what does "Alphabetize a stack of blank paper." mean?

I'm not an idiot, I know what "alphabetical order" means! I just took it in another context to TRY to understand the sentence!!

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Didn't you understand that we are going a bit futher away from logical thinking?!

If my explanation doesn't make any sens, then explain me what does "Alphabetize a stack of blank paper." mean?

I'm not an idiot, I know what "alphabetical order" means! I just took it in another context to TRY to understand the sentence!!

I think you should probably ask the person who posted it what they mean.

And also "Didn't you understand that we are going a bit futher away from logical thinking?!" By making up entirely new and nonsensical meanings for words. That's just talking shite.

eatchocolate
08-25-2008, 10:50 PM
And also "Didn't you understand that we are going a bit futher away from logical thinking?!" By making up entirely new and nonsensical meanings for words. That's just talking shite.

It might not work for this sentence, but it ain't talking shite. I was only trying to put some sens in a sentence that doesn't have any!

It works fine for me... You don't think the same way I do that's it.

Mr JP Fugley
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Fair enough, if you think it's OK to make up new meanings for words.

An hotel is a kangaroo with a trout on it's head.

clocker
08-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Fair enough, if you think it's OK to make up new meanings for words.

An hotel is a kangaroo with a trout on it's head.
And that would fall where in relation to Guildford?

Mr JP Fugley
08-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Between The Rock and a hardcase.

thewizeard
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Someone should look into it.

Breaking News!!

It's just been reported a deep hole has suddenly appeared in the middle of Piccadilly-Circus, central London.. A spokesman from the Metropolitan police stated; " Nothing to worry about, the police are looking into it."

eatchocolate
08-27-2008, 06:38 PM
clap clap :D