PDA

View Full Version : Dilema of HDTV and Storage.

worldpease
04-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Ok, I'll try to make the story short.

First I started making my TV Series collection by downloading the 350mb videos as they came out,
then I stumble upon these 700mb HR versions, wow I was impressed by the quality improvement of the video....
Then, yesterday, I made a mistake;
I said to my self: Well, lets get an actually HDTV 720p video, so I dld the newest episode of Heroes to watch on my PC.
and why was it a mistake?, well, because now HR just wont be enough :P ...
and I can't think of a way to store 1GB 720p files, I mean, I would need like 30Gs to store an entire season of any show,
and with only a DVD-R it doesn't seem doable, and Im not about to spend hundreds of Dlls with BlueRay or HD-DVD, :lol: .

So basically that is my dilemma...
I just thought I'd tell you guys about it, i would be interesting to hear your ideas.

mbucari1
04-26-2007, 05:11 AM
hitachi, seagate and I think a couple of other companies will be coming out with a 1TB SATAII HDD very soon. They're only gonna be like $00-$500. Pick one up :). Plus they have 32MB cache!

memnom
04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
hitachi already has it out and Anndtech has a very goo review about it. check it out its good.

Virtualbody1234
04-26-2007, 10:17 AM
and with only a DVD-R it doesn't seem doable, and Im not about to spend hundreds of Dlls with BlueRay or HD-DVD, :lol: .

So basically that is my dilemma...
I just thought I'd tell you guys about it, i would be interesting to hear your ideas.

Explain why "only a DVD-R it doesn't seem doable". Why not?

lynx
04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
My next major purchase in this area is going to be a HD capable PVR, with ethernet connection.

Hopefully by the time I get round to this DivXHD will be commonplace, but if not then a system capable of receiving streaming media via ethernet and a copy of VLC will work just as well.

That way, either downloading or streaming from my PC means I will only need to store videos on hdd.

accat13
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
My next major purchase in this area is going to be a HD capable PVR, with ethernet connection.

Hopefully by the time I get round to this DivXHD will be commonplace, but if not then a system capable of receiving streaming media via ethernet and a copy of VLC will work just as well.

That way, either downloading or streaming from my PC means I will only need to store videos on hdd.

Well an hdpvr sure is truly addictive. I managed to talk my cable company into a 2 year free trial. Don't know what is going to happen after the 2 years they are a bit on the pricey side..The one feature I truly liked was the ability to start recording a movie, go out for 45 min come back in and start watching where you left off before the movie ended...

Busyman™
04-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Well an hdpvr sure is truly addictive. I managed to talk my cable company into a 2 year free trial. Don't know what is going to happen after the 2 years they are a bit on the pricey side..The one feature I truly liked was the ability to start recording a movie, go out for 45 min come back in and start watching where you left off before the movie ended...

Cable companies have had this available for years now. Tivo sucks cuz the HD STB costs over $500 (normal Tivo has been out for years).

If there was a sound PC solution, I'd jump on it since I'm looking into either building or buying a small form factor PC.

lightshow
04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
The current PC solutions are mainly Linux based.

Linux MCE (uses Myth Tv and tons of other automation devices)
Myth Tv
etc. (google for linux PVR)

The main problems is finding the right hardware since drivers are not as common for the Linux Operating Systems.

worldpease
04-27-2007, 01:30 AM
hitachi, seagate and I think a couple of other companies will be coming out with a 1TB SATAII HDD very soon.
Well, that is an option to consider,
but still, does a PC need to fill any special requirements to handle it?
for example, is SATA the same as SATAII?

Ok, you see a few months back it took me like two DVD discs to store an entire season of a show,
at the time, and since I stater getting the HR(700Mb) eps, it takes me four discs.
So by my rough calculations, by using DVDs to store HD 720p files,
I would need like 8 discs per season; to me that seems like a lot of everything, physical space, discs, and all that.
Do I explain my self?

Virtualbody1234
04-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Ok, you see a few months back it took me like two DVD discs to store an entire season of a show,
at the time, and since I stater getting the HR(700Mb) eps, it takes me four discs.
So by my rough calculations, by using DVDs to store HD 720p files,
I would need like 8 discs per season; to me that seems like a lot of everything, physical space, discs, and all that.
Do I explain my self?

Yes but I don't think there's anything less costly than DVD±R right now.

worldpease
04-27-2007, 03:06 AM
Mmm, actually now that I re-think about it, you make sence :dabs: .
I mean, I could get a 100 disc pack in one of those special sales!

St0ry
04-28-2007, 06:26 PM
You can find 100pk blank DVD-/+s on sale for $20 practically every other weekend.

Btw, what's wrong with watching and deleting? Or watch it in HD but store the HR ones. I used to store entire seasons of shows I watch but I never felt the urge to rewatch something I've seen before.

Busyman™
04-30-2007, 01:27 PM

On Black Friday they are free after rebate. I buy my stock for the year on one day.

DemonicFire
04-30-2007, 09:49 PM

On Black Friday they are free after rebate. I buy my stock for the year on one day.

What store is thas "Black Friday" at? I wouldnt mind getting me alot of DVD-R's as im running low atm.:happy:

Busyman™
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM

What store is thas "Black Friday" at? I wouldnt mind getting me alot of DVD-R's as im running low atm.:happy:
It's the day after Thanksgiving.

pencap
05-04-2007, 10:58 PM
yeah i have the same problem, now that i use a 32in lcd hdtv as my comp monitor I cant watch many movies or shows in reg def :( I already have close to a 100 gigs of hd movies and about 50 gigs of shows and am gonna have to start deleting soon. most things are only worth one watch tho. the only shows i keep now are Band of brothers, firefly, simpsons, and south park. everything else gets Deleted after a month of non-watching :)

worldpease
05-05-2007, 11:10 PM
:( I already have close to a 100 gigs of hd movies and about 50 gigs of shows and am gonna have to start deleting soon... ... everything else gets Deleted after a month of non-watching :)
Yeah, I kind of understand what you mean,
but it turns out that I actually would like to 'save' most of my downloads,
so later, may be months from now I can watch them again... I already do that.
But heck, this thing with the video technologiesis just Crazy :P .
I mean, will there ever be an end to 'upgrade'?, don't think so. :lol: