PDA

View Full Version : giganews the best ?

timmy67
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
i am currently with usenetserver and have a 2mb dsl and am getting 240 kb/s so if i went with giganews would the download speed be quicker

MultiForce
04-29-2007, 11:17 PM
i am currently with usenetserver and have a 2mb dsl and am getting 240 kb/s so if i went with giganews would the download speed be quicker

Looks like you are @ max already.

..:: c.R ::..
04-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Timmy, not sure if you understand the way your ISP advertises it's bandwidth to it's consumers. What you have is 2-mega-bits of bandwidth, which is honestly not very much. So i will assume that you are in a semi-remote area or small town. When you tap into usenet access, everything you use to d/l binaries will be displayed in mega-BYTES per second, which is a different unit of measurement. There are eight-bits in a byte, so you need to interpret the output accuretly.

You have 2 mega-bits, so now divide that by eight: 2000 / 8 = 250 kB/s

So, what you are seeing w/ which ever newsreader of choice that you are using, is showing you the accurate amount of bandwidth you are throttling.

You ARE using all of your allotted bandwidth through your ISP.

Hope this cleared things up.

Good luck and stay safe.

Skiz
04-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Timmy, not sure if you understand the way your ISP advertises it's bandwidth to it's consumers. What you have is 2-mega-bits of bandwidth, which is honestly not very much. So i will assume that you are in a semi-remote area or small town. When you tap into usenet access, everything you use to d/l binaries will be displayed in mega-BYTES per second, which is a different unit of measurement. There are eight-bits in a byte, so you need to interpret the output accuretly.

You have 2 mega-bits, so now divide that by eight: 2000 / 8 = 250 kB/s

So, what you are seeing w/ which ever newsreader of choice that you are using, is showing you the accurate amount of bandwidth you are throttling.

You ARE using all of your allotted bandwidth through your ISP.

Hope this cleared things up.

Good luck and stay safe.

That's was a "No". :P

MultiForce
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
:happy:

har786
04-30-2007, 01:01 PM
i would say giganews is the best by far but has one problem
speed = excellent
billing = excellent etc

the only problem i have is sumtimes my connection cuts out and if that happens and nbpro is running then i close the prog i cant use nbpro for a little while as it comes up user/pass wrong coz it believes im still logged in

but thats only coz its my fault i close the prog so giganews servers dont know that i have closed the app

other than that i would say giganews is the best. also it now has 120 days retention and sites are following suit with 120 days retention on files.

teffers
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I recently had to choose between Giganews and Usenetserver as my isp was using heavy traffic shaping so an SSL connection was required (Newshosting, my then current supplier, didn't offer this).

I very nearly went with Giga but the fact that the cost (after the promo period) was double that of Usenetservers I deciding to go with UNS as 120 day retention just wasn't needed (for me personally)