PDA

View Full Version : Computer Won't Turn On

PhEl
05-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I was sleeping and woken up at 3 in the morning by a sound like a clicking noise and i noticed my computer was turning on and off constantly so i pulled the plug and in the morning i tried pluging it in and it wouldnt turn on something smelled like burning i have an Emachines T1742 1Gb 1.8GHz can someone help me get my computer on.

peat moss
05-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Could have been a power surge and your mobo and or Psu are dead ? Take it to a friend or a shop let them have a look . If you had a burning smell I would n't play with with it , maybe you can still recover your Hdd .

Broken
05-04-2007, 05:26 AM
I would think that the most likely problem is the powersupply.
If so, it could have fried everything in the system when it went out; cpu, mobo, ram, hds.

Also possible that it was the fan to the cpu. This would only be slightly better because it would have only taken out the processor and the mobo.

Either way, it means some costly repairs. Probably time to invest in a new system, and be greatful that it didn't catch fire and burn down the house.

clocker
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
It's almost certainly the Bestec PSU and there is a 50% chance it took the motherboard with it.
The rest of your hardware is probably fine.

Skiz
05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
It's almost certainly the Bestec PSU and there is a 50% chance it took the motherboard with it.
The rest of your hardware is probably fine.

I think this is the first time you haven't ripped on the emachine. Usually, you don't let such opportunities slip past. :P

clocker
05-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I think this is the first time you haven't ripped on the emachine. Usually, you don't let such opportunities slip past. :P
Oh come on...I don't rip on eMachines...it's the owners who drive me crazy.
Why people think they can shop at the low end of the spectrum and get high end performance and reliability is beyond me.
You pay for cheap- you get cheap...it's only common sense.

Skiz
05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Why people think they can shop at the low end of the spectrum and get high end performance and reliability is beyond me.

Perhaps you're right. I haven't been in Hardwareworld too much in the past year, outside of my own problems. I guess I transversed the two. :ph34r:

Not remembering tells me it's been too long, so I'll have a look around when I have the time later. :)

Broken
05-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Almost five years out of a machine that originally sold for $399 isn't such a bad deal. No matter what you buy it's going to be obsolete in six months.

Besides, at that price tag these things are meant to be replaced almost yearly. I'd say PhEl got his money's worth if he was the original purchaser.

clocker
05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Almost five years out of a machine that originally sold for $399 isn't such a bad deal. No matter what you buy it's going to be obsolete in six months.

Besides, at that price tag these things are meant to be replaced almost yearly. I'd say PhEl got his money's worth if he was the original purchaser.
I agree completely.
It was a great deal and served well beyond the call of duty.

Now it's time to decide if it's worth @$220 (about what we charge for the mobo/PSU/software repair) to keep it going or if it's time for a new one.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Virtualbody1234
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Does that apply to most here?

clocker
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Most questions or most people?

Virtualbody1234
05-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Yes.

j2k4
05-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Yes.

Remember, clocker has ODed on both...;)

clocker
05-05-2007, 02:38 PM
You people are soooo cynical.

Oh, wait...

peat moss
05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Speaking from experience most of the good "deals" out there cheap out on the one thing you need most , a good PSU . Hey live and learn I guess . I showed a friend the difference by ,when replacing his dead Psu asked him to hold it in his hand . Oh, he said the new one weighs more , Ah Ah I said . Simple eh ? :)