PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland in China?

popopot
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Did I say Disneyland? I meant Shijingshan Amusement Park, an amusement park in Beijing that has absolutely nothing to do with Disney. Japanese bloggers seem to have recently discovered the existence of this park and have posted pictures of some of its characters.

http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/01/fake-minnie-donald.jpg

Some have claimed that the park is illegally copying Disney’s Minnie Mouse. However, the park’s operators have insisted that the character on the right is not a mouse. It is a cat with very large ears!

After some searching, I managed to find an English language news article that mentions this fine amusment park:

With its slogan “Disneyland is too far,” Beijing’s Shijingshan Amusement Park features a replica of Cinderella’s Castle, with staff dressed like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other Disney characters.

None of this is authorized by Disney - but that has not stopped the state-owned park from creating its own counterfeit version of the Magic Kingdom in a brazen example of the sort of open and widespread copyright piracy that has Washington fuming.

The United States announced Monday it would file a case at the World Trade Organization over rampant copyright piracy in China, a practice which US companies say deprives them of billions of dollars each year.

But 31-year-old housewife Zhang Li betrays a typical Chinese attitude on the issue while chasing her young son around the park.

“I don’t understand why that is such a big problem. Shouldn’t others be able to use those characters besides [Disney]?” she asks.

No, no, lady. You’ve got it all wrong. They aren’t using Disney characters. It’s a big-eared cat, not a mouse. Come on!

Snee
05-04-2007, 06:01 PM
That's the ticket. Copyrights are for pussies.

thewizeard
05-04-2007, 06:08 PM

Did I say Disneyland? I meant Shijingshan Amusement Park, an amusement park in Beijing that has absolutely nothing to do with Disney. Japanese bloggers seem to have recently discovered the existence of this park and have posted pictures of some of its characters.

http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/01/fake-minnie-donald.jpg

Some have claimed that the park is illegally copying Disney’s Minnie Mouse. However, the park’s operators have insisted that the character on the right is not a mouse. It is a cat with very large ears!

After some searching, I managed to find an English language news article that mentions this fine amusment park:

With its slogan “Disneyland is too far,” Beijing’s Shijingshan Amusement Park features a replica of Cinderella’s Castle, with staff dressed like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other Disney characters.

None of this is authorized by Disney - but that has not stopped the state-owned park from creating its own counterfeit version of the Magic Kingdom in a brazen example of the sort of open and widespread copyright piracy that has Washington fuming.

The United States announced Monday it would file a case at the World Trade Organization over rampant copyright piracy in China, a practice which US companies say deprives them of billions of dollars each year.

But 31-year-old housewife Zhang Li betrays a typical Chinese attitude on the issue while chasing her young son around the park.

“I don’t understand why that is such a big problem. Shouldn’t others be able to use those characters besides [Disney]?” she asks.

No, no, lady. You’ve got it all wrong. They aren’t using Disney characters. It’s a big-eared cat, not a mouse. Come on!

In fact we have decided to host the complete park, on Sealand, although Sealand is on the small side Prince Michael thinks with a little English and Chinese ingenuity, it should be up and running in August!

sArA
05-04-2007, 06:23 PM
meh....not found error code 404 :dry:

tesco
05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/01/7-dwarves.jpg
:glag: chinese snow white.

Mr. Mulder
05-05-2007, 06:49 PM
those dwarfs look hella scary

jimbo12345
05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
They are actually building a Disneyland in Shanghai, if not just about finished. They aregued wether to have it in Beijing or Shanghai, but they felt Shanghai was better.

I got in real trouble on April Fool's Day, when i posted on a local Beijing forum a joke rumor that they planned to build DisneyLand over the Forbidden City, and had already Chineseyfied several Disney Characters including Mickey Mao and Yosamite Khan (Ghengis).

I was described as racist, sick and dangerous. I thought it was quite funny myself. :dry: Agree?

tesco
05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
They are actually building a Disneyland in Shanghai, if not just about finished. They aregued wether to have it in Beijing or Shanghai, but they felt Shanghai was better.

I got in real trouble on April Fool's Day, when i posted on a local Beijing forum a joke rumor that they planned to build DisneyLand over the Forbidden City, and had already Chineseyfied several Disney Characters including Mickey Mao and Yosamite Khan (Ghengis).

I was described as racist, sick and dangerous. I thought it was quite funny myself. :dry: Agree?:lol: