PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good PSU? (its free after rebate!)

slim150
05-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Ultra X-Finity 600W Power Supply

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4548667

NEW! X-Finity PSU - Featuring FlexForce Cables Breakthrough technology! Phenomenal power distribution. Easy to manage cabling system! Extraordinary airflow! This sizzling new X-Finity power supply features the innovative new dual rail technology for better power distribution. You'll get the smooth, trouble-free performance that's perfect for your powerful gaming system. The FlexForces' incomparable cables are dressed in a great looking titanium silver finish. Specially engineered cable design promotes easy cable management and 30% better airflow than ordinary cables. Crafted to accommodate both AMD and Intel CPUs! 24/20-pin motherboard connection. 4-pin +12V Molex connectors. 4-pin floppy power connectors. PCI Express, SATA and 8-pin EPS connectors. Versatile. Dependable. Affordable. The X-Finity FlexForce ATX power supply

Additional Features

* Supports AMD and Intel Motherboards
* NVIDIAŽ SLI Ready
* Low Acoustic Noise
* 120mm Fan
* Meets ATX Version 2.2, v1.3, and ATX 12V Version 2.03 Specifications
* Short Circuit Protection
* In-Rush Current Protection
* Thermal Overload Cutoff Protection
* MTBF > 100,000 Hours at Full Load, 110VAC and 25°C Ambient Condition
* FCC and UL Recognized

zapjb
05-05-2007, 05:25 PM
no

S!X
05-06-2007, 04:04 AM
no

...... I haven't heard anything bad about ultra products, so it should be alright.:yup:

shapeless
05-06-2007, 05:36 PM
i've heard that when under a heavy load, it will get unusually loud and hot. If you have the psu mounted on the bottom of the case, that should be ok, but if it's on top, you may want to look into another psu, even though it's free.

tesco
05-06-2007, 06:16 PM
i've heard that when under a heavy load, it will get unusually loud and hot. If you have the psu mounted on the bottom of the case, that should be ok, but if it's on top, you may want to look into another psu, even though it's free.
heat rises. at the bottom wouldn't it heat up the whole case?:huh: I guess at the bottom the power supply itself would stay cool though.
I think no matter where it is put it's a bad thig for it to run hot.

For free, how can you go wrong? Keep it as a backup if you don't want to use it as your main power supply.

morethanlazy
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Some of the Ultra products are ok but it depends on what the Amperage is on the +12, can't find the specs easily now.

DemonicFire
05-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I think I might get that. Even if what yall say is true, my antec has been getting really screwy lately and dont feel like messing with it anymore.

EDIT* If yall want a review of this PSU, heres one I found on google:

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1584_1.html

clocker
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
And here's a real review. (http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=34)

Appzalien
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
The bottom line is if they're giving it away there is something wrong that previous reviews might not show. They are obviously dumping this line and the reasons are only known to the company but my guess would be they were made with bad caps or transformers and it wasn't discovered until they were already shipped all over the place.

Its like russian roulette, 1 in 10 may be ok and if your lucky you'll get one that will last. The bad news, often when a power supply blows it does so with a spike which can take out your $200 motherboard. Are you willing to take the risk?

suprafreak6
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
You know its funny, i dont wanna jinx it, but my Power supply has been fine since purchase date...and i remember everyone but me and gam3guy wanted me to buy a different one

boneko
05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
hello,

for the price looks good :)

lynx
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
You know its funny, i dont wanna jinx it, but my Power supply has been fine since purchase date...and i remember everyone but me and gam3guy wanted me to buy a different oneThey are all perfect until they fail.

silent h3ro
05-09-2007, 02:11 AM
You know its funny, i dont wanna jinx it, but my Power supply has been fine since purchase date...and i remember everyone but me and gam3guy wanted me to buy a different one:cool: Hell yeah. How has it been?

Imo, the review does show that it's not a bad PSU and probably worth it if it's free but you never want to skip on a PSU.... I've had two die on me already.

S!X
05-09-2007, 02:14 AM
I've had two die on me already.

Which ones were those? :ermm:

suprafreak6
05-09-2007, 03:30 AM
You know its funny, i dont wanna jinx it, but my Power supply has been fine since purchase date...and i remember everyone but me and gam3guy wanted me to buy a different one:cool: Hell yeah. How has it been?

Imo, the review does show that it's not a bad PSU and probably worth it if it's free but you never want to skip on a PSU.... I've had two die on me already.

hey buddy, hows life been? mines been pretty good...get on aim you freak...
(N master EAL)

silent h3ro
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I've had two die on me already.

Which ones were those? :ermm:Both were Aspire. :frusty:

slim150
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Which ones were those? :ermm:Both were Aspire. :frusty:

even i've heard about those, they call them asspires

silent h3ro
05-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Both were Aspire. :frusty:

even i've heard about those, they call them asspireslol

@Neal - I'll be on AIM soon, dawg... life has been busy for me.

S!X
05-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Both were Aspire. :frusty:

No wonder :pinch: :rolleyes:

slim150
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
for anyone else interested, this item is now at fry's with free shipping making it 100% free after rebate

DemonicFire
05-13-2007, 10:32 PM
I ordered me one of these before they went out of stock and also before the shipping was changed to free. And because of that, they messaged to me and told me that they will mail it 2 day air instead of ground.

I ordered it Wdnesday, and got it in that Friday. After I put it in, my system started to work way better than when I was using the Antec. And because of that, I put it in my old case (the antec PSU) :)