PDA

View Full Version : WHo IS DDoSing RTS and WHY!?!?!

DaMan05
05-05-2007, 04:50 PM
its pretty damn annoying... its the second time!!! all my frigging torrents stop also and i have to change the tracker to https... :angry:

DAMN YOU WHOEVER'S DOING IT!!!

wildbytes
05-05-2007, 04:57 PM
its pretty damn annoying... its the second time!!! all my frigging torrents stop also and i have to change the tracker to https... :angry:

DAMN YOU WHOEVER'S DOING IT!!!

Why do you think is a ddos. There are other threads out there telling you to use https. I would bet its no ddos and maybe server setup/mysql setup.

Wild

Memphy
05-05-2007, 05:07 PM
i heard that if you use https it works fine...

DaMan05
05-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Why do you think is a ddos.

an uploader and an admin wrote that in a comment for a torrent

i heard that if you use https it works fine...

i know... I am doing that... but after the last DDoS stopped, you could use http again... now you cant again. and when i browse in https in firefox, it tells me some certificate or some shit not valid or something... i'd rather just browse normally. :)

phrenzy
05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
You would think that there would be a mass pm or somethingnot just a torrent comment....

fisz
05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
https is not working anymore at least for me

Patriot foreve
05-05-2007, 05:17 PM
The Tracker is being raided by ddos attacks ,it seems that some people don't want the tracker to grow because they think it's adanger on their own

DaMan05
05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
The Tracker is being raided by ddos attacks ,it seems that some people don't want the tracker to grow because they think it's adanger on their own

thank you for answering my question. THESE PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES!!! :angry:

walczanin
05-05-2007, 05:27 PM

:blink::blink::blink:

wildbytes
05-05-2007, 06:14 PM

:blink::blink::blink:

If your on a linuxs boxs read this http://www.dos-attacks.com/html/stop_attacks.htm and with some brains i am sure you get it some what under control. No real way to stop it 100% but this will help ;)

Wild

Cmon
05-05-2007, 07:04 PM
ddos is always annoying to any tracker site, it happens a lot lately sadly :(

mikechrobot
05-05-2007, 07:07 PM
it's either the scene, which doesn't like their files widely distributed, jealous trackers ddossing each other, copyright protections agencies, n00b hackers who find it fun and funny to fuck with other people

j0hn
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM

are u an idiot?? seriously? since when did other trackers ddos each other.
90% of ddos'ing on torrent sites is done by the scene. or by a banned member(s) with a grudge. this site is no threat to other torrent sites.

DaMan05
05-05-2007, 07:21 PM

90% of ddos'ing on torrent sites is done by the scene. or by a banned member(s) with a grudge. this site is no threat to other torrent sites.

maybe it is being done by another torrent site... im sure patriot knows more than you dude.. :)

f@flot
05-05-2007, 07:22 PM
dunno why these ppl attacking the site but https won't work either. it will stop eventually.

j0hn
05-05-2007, 07:33 PM
[maybe it is being done by another torrent site... im sure patriot knows more than you dude.. :)

how? he can tell where a ddos attack is coming from? well hes the worlds 1st for that.

mikechrobot
05-05-2007, 07:38 PM
just for your information j0hn it is possible to trace the ips, often, the ddosed sites ask the hosting company to trace the ddos and block certain ip ranges to prevent ddosing, maybe Patriot is admin, or knows an admin or sysop at RTS and therefore has that information

j0hn
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
yes, bacause tracker A is gonna ddos tracker B from their own i.p
they would just deserve to get caught for that

ven0m
05-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I would suggest closing threads like this. Let RTS work at it and sort it out amongst themselves. Threads like this are only going to create flaming and arouse suspicions or cause fingers to be pointed and that is not necessary at FST. Live and let live people!

r77
05-05-2007, 07:45 PM
nobody told that rts is ddosed by another torrent site .this is in ur imagination ;)

mikechrobot
05-05-2007, 07:47 PM
j0hn i wasn't opposing your words about trackers not ddosing each other the main point was that you can trace the ip of ddos, and the rest was a big maybe

seppypom
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM

at 898 users you think that "the scene" is attacking it?

j0hn
05-05-2007, 08:00 PM

no, i dont. but at 898 users u think other trackers think its a danger to their own? enough so that they feel the need to ddos it?

mikechrobot
05-05-2007, 08:03 PM
ok, i from what i know and have heard both the scene and other trackers have no reason to ddos RTS, so, in my opinion, it's probably a group of disgruntled n00bs who either got banned or are pissed that they can't get an invite to the site.

That sounds reasonable enough doesn't it

wildbytes
05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Trust me no torrent site is worried about RTS in any way. Most are not even worried about any other site but there own. Some sites do get pissed off when you steal there releases and upload them to a so called site and then rename them packs. But even these ddos are very small as they just dont have the server power and other things to make it last.

You you know what you are doing and what to look for you can spot the ip's scanning ports and ddosing you, then send there host a pm with screen shots of what they are doing and 9 times out of 10 it will stop in 24 hours or less from that ip.

Best bet is to install some kind of linuxs firewall and other things to help save load. Alos just incase its not a ddos, maybe check your server setups mostly mysql and apache. You be shocked at how many times this is not set up right and they choke them self out.

Most People ddos ing torrent sites are anti P2P groups, and maybe some scene groups but even then most scen groups can care less and wont spend there time. But different new comers to the scene might try and ddos to make a name for them selfs. Seen this a few times.

Wild

r77
05-05-2007, 08:53 PM
i like Mr Wilds lecture

mikechrobot
05-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Atilla please don't spam the forums, thank you

nemesi54
05-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Guys stop arguing..Dont accuse anyone without proofs...Rts is down and thats a fact..just wait...its pointless to start "if its this" and "if its that".....

X
05-05-2007, 11:21 PM
its really quite funny that if RTS is down due to DDOS people think it might be some other tracker... stop pointing fingers if u don't have proof to back it up...

DaMan05
05-05-2007, 11:47 PM
..Rts is down and thats a fact..j

working fine for me on http and https.. but theres some wierd shit in the news page, looks like someones post or something... :wacko:

DemonicFire
05-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Recently, ST has been ddosed a lot. Dont know who did it, but it was going on for about a week, then it just stopped after they switched to a new server. Then it went on again for another 24 hours or so and that was all. Must have been a really pissed off group of people...

EDIT* As for RTS, I dont know what that abbrev. means, so I cant tell you if im a member there or not and if it works, so...

DaMan05
05-06-2007, 01:12 AM
EDIT* As for RTS, I dont know what that abbrev. means, so I cant tell you if im a member there or not and if it works, so...

lol... that ones easy... its in many ppl's sigs... and if you were a member, im sure you would know what it meant ;)

RTS
05-06-2007, 01:15 AM
We have filtered DDos attack and http and https are working fine. If you have any problems, PM me, instead of making another thread or posting here.

seppypom
05-06-2007, 01:19 AM

no, i dont. but at 898 users u think other trackers think its a danger to their own? enough so that they feel the need to ddos it?

No, i don' think that either

LinkS v2.0
05-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Great first one to start pointing fingers without backing anything up

Im cool with my red text also...

IceMan
05-06-2007, 03:41 AM

Great first one to start pointing fingers without backing anything up

Im cool with my red text also...

:lol:

RTS
05-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, its happening again, except this time they are ddosing both http and https and attack is different. Looks like the ddosers havent given up on us.

Edit: Https is now working fine again. We are going to try and filter the http attack again.

JA
05-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Eeeekkk what sad people to do such a thing

Ratzy Rox
05-06-2007, 11:10 AM
im sure patriot knows more than you dude.. :)

Oh dear, you are sadly deluded.

To be honest its probably wild with all his unfounded rts hate. Its getting a bit ridiculous now.

pandapop
05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
tbh it doesnt suprise me... with the amount of advertising and hyping that goes on in this forum and the fact it (and the bt community generally) is populated with silly teenagers full of hormones and depression, its no wonder that sites find themselves having problems from either people outside or inside other trackers.

wildbytes
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM

To be honest its probably wild with all his unfounded rts hate. Its getting a bit ridiculous now.

Yep its me, and when i am done with rts i am going to ddos your home connection ;)

If it was me you think i would have posted a link where they can get stuff to help block this. I would have said nothing and kept on going. If they used what i told one in pm and have it set up right in apache, then even if they ddos it would stop 70 to 80% of it. Site might be slow at times but at least its up untill they give up.

We still get ddos every day, but we are fast to act and email there host with screen shots of what there servers are being used for.

So before you start blaming people get a fucking clue

Wild

ExT
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Just received a message from RTS saying that i have a pm lol but i can't access the site..

kirktrix
05-06-2007, 01:02 PM
C'mon peppzzz Stop blaming other people....Most of the private trackers are also attacked by DDOS...It is common problem in torrent site...just wait and let the admins of RTS fix it...:)

DaMan05
05-06-2007, 04:29 PM
the fact it (and the bt community generally) is populated with silly teenagers full of hormones and depression

HEY! :angry:... lol :P

i wish i knew how to ddos... that would be wicked cool... :D

bytetorrent
05-06-2007, 04:50 PM
tried the mod_dosevasive Apache Module??:mellow:

mikechrobot
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
to ddos you would have to have a very fast connection or connection with very fast proxy which could do it for you, but if you're more advanced you can stall the server by sending some datasheets.

Melvinmeow
05-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I myself can vouch for wild.. I know for a fact he would not be doing stupid stuff like this no matter how retared the site may be.

Most staff from other communities are worried about their own sites and could litterally gives a rats testicle about other sites.

Their site doesnt really have enough users, files, or good pres to reach any concern by the scene in my opinion.

My honest bet would be that its a server setting not configged correctly. If sites use alot of SQL that often causes it to seem like the sites being attacked.
Another thing maybe the server itself that the sites on just sucks. Ive seen it alot of times.
Or quite possibly someone who got banned or couldnt get an invite ect... but I doubt it would be anyone mad cause they couldnt get an invite cause the invites are a dime a dozen from what ive seen. So Of the banned/invite I would guess it would be someone who was banned.

Alot of sites get ddos'ed daily... mine included. The reason for the dos attackes are ussually unknown. Sometimes the staff may have an idea.. Mine in particular is due to the fact I ban queer release groups like Neptune and MVS off my site when I catch them stealing our releases.
Other sites like F*N and SCT get attacked due to the fact they release stuff with good pres ect..
It all depends. Wild acctually mentioned a few good ideas on how to somewhat solve the problem if it is in fact even a ddos attack.

Hopefully you guys find the exact reason/people ddos' and can get the issue fixed.

P.S. Another thing you can check the connection timeout settings in appache. If its set higher than 10 then you should reduce it since high numbers are not even needed and can really kill a server.

RTS
05-07-2007, 12:45 PM

I myself can vouch for wild.. I know for a fact he would not be doing stupid stuff like this no matter how retared the site may be.

Most staff from other communities are worried about their own sites and could litterally gives a rats testicle about other sites.

Their site doesnt really have enough users, files, or good pres to reach any concern by the scene in my opinion.

My honest bet would be that its a server setting not configged correctly. If sites use alot of SQL that often causes it to seem like the sites being attacked.
Another thing maybe the server itself that the sites on just sucks. Ive seen it alot of times.
Or quite possibly someone who got banned or couldnt get an invite ect... but I doubt it would be anyone mad cause they couldnt get an invite cause the invites are a dime a dozen from what ive seen. So Of the banned/invite I would guess it would be someone who was banned.

Alot of sites get ddos'ed daily... mine included. The reason for the dos attackes are ussually unknown. Sometimes the staff may have an idea.. Mine in particular is due to the fact I ban queer release groups like Neptune and MVS off my site when I catch them stealing our releases.
Other sites like F*N and SCT get attacked due to the fact they release stuff with good pres ect..
It all depends. Wild acctually mentioned a few good ideas on how to somewhat solve the problem if it is in fact even a ddos attack.

Hopefully you guys find the exact reason/people ddos' and can get the issue fixed.

P.S. Another thing you can check the connection timeout settings in appache. If its set higher than 10 then you should reduce it since high numbers are not even needed and can really kill a server.

To let everyone know, the site is back up and running perfectly fine. The server has now been secured completely to help prevent ddos attacks.

Just to let you know Melvinmeow, it was definately a ddos attack and I am completely sure that a site with 900 users and hosted on a dual xeon 2.8ghz, 2gb ram is not the problem:) (infact I think the server would run fine with 10000+ members)

Anyway, if anyone has problems accessing the site, please dont complain in this thread, send me a PM, and you will be sorted out. Or simple go onto RTS Irc.

Melvinmeow
05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Wasnt saying it was your server. Regaurdless to the server specs if configs are not set properly for hosting torrents then it would overload pretty much any server. I was merely giving you ideas of where to look in the event it was not a ddos attack.

Most server defaults have the timeouts set for higher numbers because it doesnt normally matter really. When you are hosting torrent sites with the same settings for regular web it doesnt work too well. Due to the fact there are alot of announces and queries that a normal website would not receive.

Glad you got the issues solved. Hopefully whoever was ddos'in your site will knock it off now that they know you guys figured out how to block em.

wildbytes
05-07-2007, 01:43 PM

To let everyone know, the site is back up and running perfectly fine. The server has now been secured completely to help prevent ddos attacks.

Just to let you know Melvinmeow, it was definately a ddos attack and I am completely sure that a site with 900 users and hosted on a dual xeon 2.8ghz, 2gb ram is not the problem:) (infact I think the server would run fine with 10000+ members)

Anyway, if anyone has problems accessing the site, please dont complain in this thread, send me a PM, and you will be sorted out. Or simple go onto RTS Irc.

Well like Melvinmeow already said you can have the a quad server with 10gb ram and you will still have problems. if apache is not set up right it can act like a ddos. Also wb uses 3 servers at 3.0 xeon and 2 gb ram in 2 and 4 in the 3rd. And when i first broght the servers on line i over looked some small apache seetings and the site was crawling for 24 to 48 hours. Also you can set up mysql different so it only uses so much ram per connection :whistling which will help save load. You might also want to do the same thing with connections as you do with writes per sec. This can add up fast on sites with alot of toys and slow your site down. many things to look at when setting up a site.

But with about 5000 members and using mysql and apache default settings that server should handle it just fine, depending on the addons you are using.

Wild

Army
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
good news RTS
so close this thread

DaMan05
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
good news RTS
so close this thread

yip... i would if i could... we should be able to... :(

Buggyme
05-07-2007, 11:08 PM