PDA

View Full Version : India working on $10 laptops

ven0m
05-06-2007, 07:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Hairbautt/News%20Images/LaptopsTrans.pngNew Delhi (India) - The ambitious one laptop per child (OLPC) project may actually have some competition, thanks to an Indian alternative that wants a price tag of $10 for each computer.

OLPC, which aims to bring laptops to schoolchildren in impoverished nations, recently pushed its price per laptop to $175, from $100. India's HRD ministry, which rejected the offer from OLPC, says it thinks it can push that price down to $10.

The manufacturing cost has already been scaled down to $47, reports the India Times. So far no manufacturer has agreed to the $10 price. "The cost is encouraging and we are hopeful it would come down to $10. We would also look into the possibility of some Indian company manufacturing the parts," said a ministry official.

A meeting is scheduled for later this month for industry officials and scholars to discuss the feasibility of this undertaking.

While OLPC is pushing to get its project up and running as soon as possible, the initiative from India will take a minimum of two years before it comes to fruition, according to the India Times.

:source: Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31906/113/

tesco
05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
$10?
I'd pay that for any spec'd laptop. :)

Hairbautt
05-06-2007, 03:57 PM
$10?
I'd pay that for any spec'd laptop. :)
Hey, if its Office and Internet ready I'm game too.

Could use one for school, ya know...:whistling

suprafreak6
05-06-2007, 04:33 PM
thats my india

Darth Sushi
05-07-2007, 02:01 AM
HMMM, one buck to build, 9 bucks for the OS?

mbucari1
05-09-2007, 06:35 AM
HMMM, one buck to build, 9 bucks for the OS?
:lol: LOL

ChotaZorro
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Pretty interesting. If they can actually pull that out then many of the poor people there would get computer access and hopefully be more productive.

mbucari1
05-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Pretty interesting. If they can actually pull that out then many of the poor people there would get computer access and hopefully be more productive.
Well, I think they already annually graduate more engineers than the US per capita. So considering that I don't think they're doing too poorly. (though they are submersed in insanity)

S!X
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
If these things are going for $10, the workers making them are probably working for free LOL. They're probably going to made so poorly that they won't even last a week.

Hairbautt
05-09-2007, 01:32 PM
the workers making them are probably working for free LOL.
:dabs: I'm thinking of a third world sweat shop now.

tesco
05-13-2007, 10:57 PM
the workers making them are probably working for free LOL.
:dabs: I'm thinking of a third world sweat shop now."Hey, kid, work for us a month and you'll get a free craptop" :lol: