PDA

View Full Version : Zero Post "members"

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Well I keep having a problem connecting to the board.
I just got a message that said there were too many connections to the server.
I managed to get in, in a roundabout sort of way only to find that there were 84 actual members online.
84!!
C'mon you guys, do something about all the leechers and zero post members.

Edit
As a matter of fact I can't get the post posted because I keep getting "connection busy/my sql" crap.

Edit again
This is day two of having probs connecting to the board.
I had to get in again in a roundabout way again.

MagicNakor
06-27-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Curley@7 June 2003 - 22:29
Can someone turn that speech into a couple of sentances for me?? :blink:
-S&A is on other boards
-S&A registered because there may be something good on them
-S&A shares the information from those boards here
-And does likewise there, so isn't terminated
-S&A has brought new people to this board, who then registered
-S&A believes no boards should be shown to guests except the Lounge and Guest Room
-S&A believes that 0 post members are almost always leechers
-S&A believes that it would be a Bad Thing if the guests get to the verifieds
-And if, after 2 months with no posts, the account is deleted
-S&A believes that restrictions on email accounts should be in place
-Ignore spam

I hope bullet points are fine. ;) I have to disagree with not allowing free email accounts. My email account here is based in Hotmail, and I'm sure many others' are as well. I don't give my ISP email to forum boards, no matter how well-intentioned they seem.

:ninja:

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-27-2003, 05:45 AM
:lol:
That's to the point, but that was from weeks ago.
I had to go and dig this one out of obscurity and back into the main stream.
Heck with all that.
I think somethings got to be done when you get a "too many connections the server is busy" notice and one minute later you enter from a backdoor of sorts, to find there's only 84 members online.

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-27-2003, 06:12 AM
Just happened again
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/warning.jpg

Lady Kohoutek
06-27-2003, 05:20 PM
I’m a SuperNode who shares, but I didn’t make any immediate posts when I first joined this board because I really didn’t have much time for it. I’ve also had some bad experiences with messageboards so I wasn’t sure if I should bother being an active poster. Even after I joined, I got all my verifieds at VerifiedDownloads.com and Kazaalite forums (speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to that place? Is it gone for good?). Not to say I’ll never use the verifieds here-- after all, there are some things that I am interested in, so more than likely I may utilize the Verifieds forums at a later date.

I’m sure there are people who have joined and will join just to see the verifieds, but getting verifieds may not be the only reason people are here. From what I’ve seen, this place does have a lot more to offer besides the verifieds. :)

Rat Faced
06-28-2003, 09:52 AM
The verifieds here are the least interesting part of the board IMHO.

As we have no database, and verifieds are not "verified" half the time, I have to admit to going elswhere for my verified downloads, unless im desperate or its been posted by someone i know and trust.

That doesnt mean i dont go into the worlds.

There are a lot of people posting in them, that are a lot more clued up than myself, giving excellent advice much of the time. There are also a lot of interesting threads, which often confirm a verified or condemn one, as well as giving objective/subjective opinions on a veriety of subjects.

There are 2 ways for a board to go:

1/ The admins can put their energies into verifieds, in which case the help/chat/community part of the baord suffers and is of less importance.

2/ The admins can concentrate on helping the members with problems and interaction in a laid back environment, in which case the verifieds suffer.

This board is probably among the best in the 2nd category.

Its been my personal opinion for a while that we should link up with a board in the 1st category, in a partnership type of style.

This would let us do what we do best; help people (and moan) without worrying about the verifieds. It would also let the other board do what it does best; keep a comprehensive database of verifieds upto date, without worrying about the "community" stuff that is required to have a growing board.

RF

mrax
06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Speaking as a guilty party myself, I do apologize if I've taken advantage of the generosity and knowledge of the peeps here. I've tried not to, as I do at least share.

For what it's worth, though, the reason I haven't posted much (so far) is that my knowledge of p2p and computers in general, is somewhat limited. I have been learning here, but so far, my 'contributions' have been limited to an occasional "Thanks" or "Hey, nice list!". I figure it's better than nothing, at least until I can contribute something of more value. And I sincerely hope to do so in the near future.

In the meantime, I appreciate you guys letting me hang out, and I DO share a respectable amount. At times, I've been sharing up to 10GB of data here. I don't cut off leechers, though, as I wouldn't want to cut someone legitimate by mistake. So until I learn more here, I don't cut off anybody. I will continue to share, and, as my collection and knowledge grows, I'll hopefully be posting some hashes before too long.

Thanks again,
mrax.

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-29-2003, 03:09 AM
hehehe
I don't give a lick about the verifieds either and rarely use them myself. ;)

mrax, don't worry man.
Your trying!

C'mon, shouldn't there be some time limit or something for not posting anything? :huh:

nostalgia
06-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@29 June 2003 - 03:09
mrax, don't worry man.
Your trying!

C'mon, shouldn't there be some time limit or something for not posting anything? :huh:
You mean like Hotmail.com? Get your mail within 30 days or you're out?
I agree with Mrax. If someone doesn't have the knowledge to help someone, he/she can get it reading the posts.
Also, ther are a lot of experts on this forum who do seem to know everything about anything so if someone wants to post an answer he/she should be faster than Lucky Luke or the answer is already there :D

loz
06-29-2003, 08:24 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping:

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-30-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by nostalgia@29 June 2003 - 20:47
You mean like Hotmail.com? Get your mail within 30 days or you're out?
I agree with Mrax. If someone doesn't have the knowledge to help someone, he/she can get it reading the posts.
Also, ther are a lot of experts on this forum who do seem to know everything about anything so if someone wants to post an answer he/she should be faster than Lucky Luke or the answer is already there  :D
It seems to me that if someone doesn't have knowledge they would ask a few questions from time to time.
I would also think if someone knows nothing they would be posting quite a bit.

People with zero posts after lets say... 2 months, do not want to contribute or be a real part of this board at all.
It's that simple!
Once again I said ZERO

There's really no excuse for not having any posts after 2 months, except if you are a bandwidth clogging leecher that prevents the people (who you say know quite allot) from even connecting to the board.

tite-wad
06-30-2003, 03:50 AM
I still don't understand how a registered user with a zero post count requires any more bandwidth than an unregistered guest. :huh:

Perhaps they do, but no one has ever made that clear.

brotherdoobie
06-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by tite-wad@29 June 2003 - 22:50
I still don't understand how a registered user with a zero post count requires any more bandwidth than an unregistered guest. :huh:

Perhaps they do, but no one has ever made that clear.
U are right they dont.
Please ShockAndAwe^i^...........quit beating this dead horse!
You are stating your views which is fine........but haven't u realized that your
views are yours and not everyone elses.

Thats what makes life interesting........We all have our opinions......
Again we want to grow.......... this board is not yours or mine.
It lives and breaths because we all are part of the machine.

Peace brotherdoobie B)

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-30-2003, 04:03 AM
They don't, but they do take up bandwidth keeping those who do post out.
And there aren't just a few either!
There's a vast kingdom of these people.
It's not small, it's big!

Haven't you ever wondered why you can't connect or why pages won't load or they load really slow sometimes.
I get 404 errors now all the time when switching between worlds.

There's a bunch of people just connecting to see what they can leech and contribute nothing to this board.
Hell, some of them do nothing but hang out in the guest room forever.

brotherdoobie
06-30-2003, 04:26 AM
For Christ sake(and if not his how... about Pete) Please the guys from the cruelety
to animals department are on there way!..........I repeat quit beating this dead
horse(what did she ever do to u anyway? ;) )

I repeat put down the stick .......come and sit we will have a cup of tea and
everything will be better ;) :unsure:

Peace brotherdoobie B)

tite-wad
06-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@29 June 2003 - 23:03
They don't, but they do take up bandwidth keeping those who do post out.
And there aren't just a few either!
There's a vast kingdom of these people.
It's not small, it's big!
But if registered users don't use any more bandwidth than guests, then how will deleting them help anything?

If they are still here, then they are still using bandwidth whether they're registered or not.

I don't understand how it will solve the problem. :huh:

I'm not trying to argue with anyone - just trying to understand the issue.

brotherdoobie
06-30-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by tite-wad+29 June 2003 - 23:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tite-wad @ 29 June 2003 - 23:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ShockAndAwe^i^@29 June 2003 - 23:03
They don&#39;t, but they do take up bandwidth keeping those who do post out.
And there aren&#39;t just a few either&#33;
There&#39;s a vast kingdom of these people.
It&#39;s not small, it&#39;s big&#33;
But if registered users don&#39;t use any more bandwidth than guests, then how will deleting them help anything?

If they are still here, then they are still using bandwidth whether they&#39;re registered or not.

I don&#39;t understand how it will solve the problem. :huh:

I&#39;m not trying to argue with anyone - just trying to understand the issue. [/b][/quote]
It wont.........that is ShockAndAwes delusion........Some people have never realy
learned what sharing is about...... ;)

Peace brotherdoobie B)

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-30-2003, 05:04 AM
Obviously this is way over your head.
If you don&#39;t want to discuss it "brotherdoobie" go away and you won&#39;t have to. ;)
Quit replying by attacking me personally&#33;
Any idiot can do that. ;)

tite-wad
06-30-2003, 05:28 AM
I can&#39;t speak for brotherdoobie, but I&#39;m neither attacking nor arguing - just asking questions to try and better understand the issue.

brotherdoobie
06-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@30 June 2003 - 00:04
Obviously this is way over your head.
If you don&#39;t want to discuss it "brotherdoobie" go away and you won&#39;t have to. ;)
Quit replying by attacking me personally&#33;
Any idiot can do that. ;)
I am not attacking u personaly.........I am doing it over a computer....... :lol:
All kidding aside.... the board is going thru growing pains, more members
mean more problems.

It also means more files in the verified&#39;s(if u still use verifieds,how reto...ughhh ;) )
and more files in general.

Shock,I see some of your points.........However your ideas seem to restrictive
as far as limiting this and that.

I am sorry for any feelings hurt :)

Peace brotherdoobie B)

[B][O][T]
06-30-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by VB@7 June 2003 - 09:34
and no we won&#39;t integrate such a complex accessing system ... but it&#39;s possible that we delete some thousands of 0 posters in the future ;)
If some of You missed His post.

BOT

theharleyguy
06-30-2003, 05:58 AM
Well, on the behalf of one of the zero posters, the reason I havnt posted in the past is that I didnt feel anything I had to add was worth while. While reading posts asking for help there was already an enormous amount of help in the replys. Not to mention that alot of the time I was reading to find the answer myself. I do share but am limited to how much by a 40 gig drive. As far as asking questions most of the time that I have had a problem I foud the answer in the faq. Isnt that what were supposed to do? When it hasnt been covered in the faq, normally it is covered in one of the posts or threads. I am sorry that you feel that we are not worth while. Maybe with time some of us can become as worthy as you.

Untill then just give us a chance. :unsure:

theharleyguy

tite-wad
06-30-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by {B}{O}{T}@30 June 2003 - 00:48
If some of You missed His post.
We missed His post???

I didn&#39;t realize that VB was a god.

I must&#39;ve really missed a post&#33; http://members.roadfly.com/tite-wad/laugh.gif

ZeroSk8r4L
06-30-2003, 06:40 AM
This happens to be my first post, I&#39;ve just signed up a little while ago though

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-30-2003, 07:38 AM
Okay brother doobie...it&#39;s cool.
By the way new members I&#39;m not talking about you, as you are here and actively posting.
Welcome&#33;:D
But why would someone join and for 2 months not post anything.

Btw, VB is a klite Pagan God and has the power to rip your entrails out and have them dragged through the streets of Damascus.
And I did see it, but it&#39;s been a while and I keep getting "too many connections warnings" and 404 errors going between worlds and posts.

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Just got another one
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/Desktop.jpg
Is any one besides me getting these messages?

VB
06-30-2003, 02:26 PM
i know about the errors, really
we all get them
no i can&#39;t really do anything against them atm
this is a very big board with many users wo want to access it
i have no money to pay an own dedicated server
i also don&#39;t have any possibility to collect some money ( i don&#39;t have a credit card )
for using paypal you need one
i&#39;m glad that jon is hosting us for free
someone ( not jon ) set the max connection limit from 500 back to 250 ( it&#39;s not jon&#39;s server ) and i have not the permission to set it back .. he will ask why the admin did this
NO it won&#39;t change anything when i delete 10.000 0 Posters
it&#39;s like destroying thousands of not used cars just because of constant traffic congestions ... no sense; correct ?
stop posting mysql errors ... if you believe it or not i see them too :rolleyes:
why am i pagan ?
HAND :)

nostalgia
06-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by VB@30 June 2003 - 14:26
[ someone ( not jon ) set the max connection limit from 500 back to 250 ( it&#39;s not jon&#39;s server ) and i have not the permission to set it back .. he will ask why the admin did this

So there won&#39;t be a new record will there? (users on-line that is).

Rat Faced
06-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Btw, VB is a klite Pagan God and has the power to rip your entrails out and have them dragged through the streets of Damascus.

I dont know any Pagan gods that would require this....and we do have Pagans on the board (other than me, that is) so please give them the same respect you would give practising Christians/Jews/muslims etc.

Yes, I know you were joking, but people get upset by this type of joke :P

As to your topic....it really wont make any difference, as VB has said.

Unless you are suggesting closing the forum to guests, and then where would we get new members?

I would suggest that it would do more good if people that were logged in but werent here; actually left the forum, when not actively posting/reading etc....but how would you police this?

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Ok ok
I&#39;ll be quiet.
Pagan God?
Just a joke that came to me from "the naked gun" movie. :lol:

HAND :)

geothermal78
07-03-2003, 08:50 AM
>>>Unless you are suggesting closing the forum to guests, and then where would we get new members?>>>

A few message boards I am on, we have zero guests. All viewers must register and become a member.

Another message board I am on emails people who have not posted or signed on in 60 days and in the email it says to post or sign on in a week or be deleted for inactivity.

I think some users of this message board only sign on if they have issues with downloading or get error messages. So they very rarely need help, it would be a shame to delete anyone.

Too bad paypal requires credit cards.

geothermal

VB
07-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Another message board I am on emails people who have not posted or signed on in 60 days and in the email it says to post or sign on in a week or be deleted for inactivity.

I could do that too, but why ?

geothermal78
07-03-2003, 06:40 PM
>>>I could do that too, but why ? >>>

It could be an automated response telling and reminding people that they are about to be deleted for lack of posting or contributing to the boards. It might jump start people into contributing ?

geothermal

zapjb
07-03-2003, 08:57 PM
I guess there is no simple solution to my original post. ;)

N£MO
07-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by geothermal78@3 July 2003 - 19:40

It could be an automated response telling and reminding people that they are about to be deleted for lack of posting or contributing to the boards. It might jump start people into contributing ?

geothermal
Thats a good idea,at least it should get more members active.

loz
07-03-2003, 10:14 PM
It just encourages spam, if they&#39;ve not got anything to say then thats ok with me :)

VB
07-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by N£MO+3 July 2003 - 23:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N£MO @ 3 July 2003 - 23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-geothermal78@3 July 2003 - 19:40

It could be an automated response telling and reminding people that they are about to be deleted for lack of posting or contributing to the boards.&nbsp; It might jump start people into contributing ?

geothermal
Thats a good idea,at least it should get more members active. [/b][/quote]
We already have problems with handling the current active users .. you know the error "Too many connections" ? :lol:

thewizeard
07-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Is it possible to introduce a membership fee? (I have seen the arguments regarding paypal and credit cards.) This may encourage administrators to allow the amount of connections to be returned to 500?

This is the basic idea then, you have three catergories; guests, members and paying members(with extra priviledges)

For guests nothing changes.

Members would be on a sort "hotmail system".No post inside 30 days then they have to renew their membership.

Paying members would always be on the short list for connection, they automatically jump the connection queue and also would not have any posting requirements. Other priveledges could be formulated in the future.

The only problem that remains is how to collect the membership fees. I myself have an internet bank account. This is an ABNAMRO account. I can instantly write money over to any bank account while I eat my breakfast&#33; All I need is the account number.( And of course money on my account)

In any case I hope that vou find a solution, it would be a pity if this Forum dissapeared because of its own popularity&#33;

2nd gen noob
07-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by nigel123@5 July 2003 - 08:43
Is it possible to introduce a membership fee? (I have seen the arguments regarding paypal and credit cards.) This may encourage administrators to allow the amount of connections to be returned to 500?

This is the basic idea then, you have three catergories; guests, members and paying members(with extra priviledges)

Members would be on a sort "hotmail system".No post inside 30 days then they have to renew their membership.

Paying members would always be on the short list for connection, they automatically jump the connection queue and also would not have any posting requirements. Other priveledges could be formulated in the future.

The only problem that remains is how to collect the membership fees. I myself have an internet bank account. This is an ABNAMRO account. I can instantly write money over to any bank account while I eat my breakfast&#33; All I need is the account number.( And of course money on my account)

In any case I hope that vou find a solution, it would be a pity if this Forum dissapeared because of its own popularity&#33;
no-one is gonna pay to use a forum

that idea would flop badly

thewizeard
07-05-2003, 08:50 AM
If its true what you say, 2nd gen noob, that nobody would pay; then the senior members should just be given priority of connection. followed by members and then the guests.

MagicNakor
07-05-2003, 08:51 AM
A membership fee is a bad idea. Not only is it against the entire point of file-sharing, it&#39;ll discriminate against those who aren&#39;t well-off financially, who are too young to have credit cards, or who have currency worth far less than whatever currency you&#39;d decide to have.

[B][O][T]
07-05-2003, 09:13 AM
no-one is gonna pay to use a forum

True, I wouldnt anyway :blink:

BOT

denis123
07-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Maybe a new life fot the participation level of course without the cheating option&#33;

ShockAndAwe^i^
07-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by nigel123@5 July 2003 - 08:43

OMG
Your an f**King genius&#33;
I would pay&#33;&#33;

who are too young to have credit cards
I think they&#39;ll give a credit card (in the US) to a 12 year old if the parent would allow it.

brotherdoobie
07-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^+5 July 2003 - 22:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ShockAndAwe^i^ @ 5 July 2003 - 22:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@5 July 2003 - 08:43
Is it possible to introduce a membership fee? (I have seen the arguments regarding paypal and credit cards.) This may encourage administrators to allow the amount&nbsp; of connections to be returned to 500?

The only problem that remains is how to collect the membership fees. I myself have an internet bank account. This is an ABNAMRO account. I can instantly write&nbsp; money over to any bank account while I eat my breakfast&#33; All I need is the account number.( And of course money on my account)

OMG
Your an f**King genius&#33;
I would pay&#33;&#33;

who are too young to have credit cards
I think they&#39;ll give a credit card (in the US) to a 12 year old if the parent would allow it. [/b][/quote]
I am amazed at the number of people who seem to want to pay for things that are free.
The system is beautiful as it stands.

It&#39;s realy a matter of paitence,which I dont think some of our younger members have found out yet.
Hey I know it can be annoying when u want to post and the forums down,but it is only posting.
You know the board is going to be up soon again......it allways is :)
so just wait awhile and dl the files were all on here for in the first place.

Enjoy the web while it last in it&#39;s current configuration,The old model is changing :(
Soon we will be flooded with subscription models for everything.
If u realy enjoy a site or a freeware program donate thru pay-pal,a littel something.

There are very littel things in life that are free,I for one am going to enjoy the things that are&#33;

Peace brotherdoobie

thewizeard
07-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@6 June 2003 - 21:42
I&#39;m sick & tired of these takers. There&#39;s like way over 10,000 members on this board without even 1 fn post. Members with 1 post or more deserve priority over those 10,000+ with none. When the servers getting slammed we deserve priority. Those with 0 post count are just leechers. I don&#39;t know if this is feasible or not. How about when the servers getting slammed. When nobody can get to the forums. It trips a switch or something. Then members only with 1 post or more can get in. If at least 10,000/25,000 members have 0 zero posts. Then theroretically this cuts down server traffic by at least 40%. Yes I&#39;d like to see this implemented. Or some fairer variation. I&#39;m only talking about "members" with zero (0) posts. How can they help anybody here directly with zero posts. And don&#39;t tell me even 0.1% of the 10,000-14,000 members with zero posts pm or otherwise contact members of this forum in a helpful way. One of my points is that they&#39;re (0 posters) not helping anyone. So if the servers busy they should have to get in line BEHIND posters to get into the forum. Simple in concept anyways. Hardly anybody gets it. I&#39;m talking about people who never ever posted. Not once. I&#39;m not talking about low post counts. But about NO post counts.
Its so true what you say brotherdoobie. This was a response not to my impatience, but to the original post from senior member Zapjb.

I also wish you peace.

Nigel.

Rat Faced
07-06-2003, 01:21 PM
These problems, and possible solutions are under constant consultation/debate.

We do look in here and take your views into account.

Think of this post as merely encouragement to stay on topic, and post ideas.

Rat Faced

Wolverine
07-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Why don&#39;t you just delete accounts with no posts after say a week or two of inactivity? I created my account approxomatly 3 minutes ago, and I have managed to post, it does seem a bit unfair, and pointless, that thousands create accounts and then ignore them.

brotherdoobie
07-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@6 July 2003 - 08:16
Its so true what you say brotherdoobie. This was a response not to my impatience, but to the original post from senior member Zapjb.

I also wish you peace.

Nigel.
@Nigel....Yes I understand what you are saying,and u do have some good ideas.
I just feel that things are fine the way they are.

It is good however to hear some constructive comments and ideas.
That is what makes this forum great.
Keep thinking and posting we need more of this on the forum :)

Peace brotherdoobie

Guillaume
07-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Wolverine@6 July 2003 - 14:27
Why don&#39;t you just delete accounts with no posts after say a week or two of inactivity?
One or two weeks would be too short a time... What if you go on vacation for two or three weeks, let&#39;s say in Spain or wherever? Some well-known active members have left for summer...

Wolverine
07-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Sorry, slight misunderstanding from my post, I meant delete accounts after a set time that have no total posts whatsoever, that way someone with more than say 1 post can go on vacation with no worries.

Guillaume
07-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Sorry, my mistake...
Won&#39;t post again today, seems I&#39;m still to hung-over to read posts correctly...
Goin&#39; back to bed seems the right solution, or uninstall then reinstall my brain functions&#33; :lol:

Anyway, I thought this some kind of automatic function... Live and learn, I always say.

zapjb
07-06-2003, 09:17 PM
nigel123, Thanks for responding to my original post. Though I don&#39;t concur with your pay system, it is on topic & thought provoking. I would like to hear other non-pay solutions from you & other members. TY :)

ShockAndAwe^i^
07-09-2003, 05:25 AM
How about this&#33;
After you hit your 100th post you have to pay a small yearly fee of &#036;20.00 or something.
This would most certainly cut down on spamming and help the board pay some bill&#39;s for bandwidth and board improvments.

I don&#39;t know....just batting around some idea&#39;s.
What do you think?

Ad
07-09-2003, 05:48 AM
f*ck that

[B][O][T]
07-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@9 July 2003 - 07:25
How about this&#33;
After you hit your 100th post you have to pay a small yearly fee of &#036;20.00 or something.
This would most certainly cut down on spamming and help the board pay some bill&#39;s for bandwidth and board improvments.

What do you think?
WTF are You serious?

BOT

MagicNakor
07-09-2003, 06:57 AM
My previous point still stands. ;) If people wish to pay for the use of the board, they&#39;re able to donate. If people are unable to do so, they shouldn&#39;t be excluded.

Ad
07-09-2003, 07:03 AM
its a bit like reall life pay for help

N£MO
07-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@9 July 2003 - 07:57
My previous point still stands. ;) If people wish to pay for the use of the board, they&#39;re able to donate. If people are unable to do so, they shouldn&#39;t be excluded.

You are spot on there Magic ;)

angellynn26
07-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@6 June 2003 - 17:42
I&#39;m sick & tired of these takers. There&#39;s like way over 10,000 members on this board without even 1 fn post. Members with 1 post or more deserve priority over those 10,000+ with none. When the servers getting slammed we deserve priority. Those with 0 post count are just leechers. I don&#39;t know if this is feasible or not. How about when the servers getting slammed. When nobody can get to the forums. It trips a switch or something. Then members only with 1 post or more can get in. If at least 10,000/25,000 members have 0 zero posts. Then theroretically this cuts down server traffic by at least 40%. Yes I&#39;d like to see this implemented. Or some fairer variation. I&#39;m only talking about "members" with zero (0) posts. How can they help anybody here directly with zero posts. And don&#39;t tell me even 0.1% of the 10,000-14,000 members with zero posts pm or otherwise contact members of this forum in a helpful way. One of my points is that they&#39;re (0 posters) not helping anyone. So if the servers busy they should have to get in line BEHIND posters to get into the forum. Simple in concept anyways. Hardly anybody gets it. I&#39;m talking about people who never ever posted. Not once. I&#39;m not talking about low post counts. But about NO post counts.
I agree that people who are not on the forum to post or help should not be allowed the same priority in forum traffic as posters....

Except for one little detail that many of you are overlooking. I have quite a few friends who are members of the forum, but don&#39;t post because they are AFRAID to&#33; People on the forum tend to flame newbies, and yell at them for the same newbie mistakes that just about everyone makes. There is little tolerance here for people who do not have a degree in P2P language.

What I think the forum needs is a little more maturity and a little less newbie discriminating. If the forum were less threatening to speak in, there might not be so many people with zero post counts&#33;

I, for one, wouldn&#39;t mind seeing much less blatant rudeness, anal retentiveness, and sarcasm here... especially from big posters, they should know better. Newbie behavior is innocent of the ways of the forum... rude behavior by veteran posters is inexcuseable.

Barbarossa
07-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@9 July 2003 - 05:25
How about this&#33;

What do you think?

All you&#39;d get is about a billion members all sticking to 99 posts and then re-registering as someone else...

thewizeard
07-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Quote angellynn26:

Except for one little detail that many of you are overlooking. I have quite a few friends who are members of the forum, but don&#39;t post because they are AFRAID to&#33; People on the forum tend to flame newbies, and yell at them for the same newbie mistakes that just about everyone makes. There is little tolerance here for people who do not have a degree in P2P language.

What I think the forum needs is a little more maturity and a little less newbie discriminating. If the forum were less threatening to speak in, there might not be so many people with zero post counts&#33;

I, for one, wouldn&#39;t mind seeing much less blatant rudeness, anal retentiveness, and sarcasm here... especially from big posters, they should know better. Newbie behavior is innocent of the ways of the forum... rude behavior by veteran posters is inexcuseable.[/QUOTE]
Unquote:

Any truth in this? Excuse us then angellynn26. It is a little bit like running the gauntlet sometimes&#33;

About the idea of when you reach a hundred posts; you HAVE to start paying, is to say the least a bit over the top. I think in retrospect that MagicNakor suggestion of a donation is better.

I am not convinced it would help the original problem of getting on the board. There are a lot of members

CornerPocket
07-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by angellynn26@9 July 2003 - 04:43

Except for one little detail that many of you are overlooking.&nbsp; I have quite a few friends who are members of the forum, but don&#39;t post because they are AFRAID to&#33;&nbsp; People on the forum tend to flame newbies, and yell at them for the same newbie mistakes that just about everyone makes.&nbsp; There is little tolerance here for people who do not have a degree in P2P language.

What I think the forum needs is a little more maturity and a little less newbie discriminating.&nbsp; If the forum were less threatening to speak in, there might not be so many people with zero post counts&#33;

I, for one, wouldn&#39;t mind seeing much less blatant rudeness, anal retentiveness, and sarcasm here... especially from big posters, they should know better.&nbsp; Newbie behavior is innocent of the ways of the forum... rude behavior by veteran posters is inexcuseable.
Only thing overlooked is the fact the newcomers fail to review any part of forum that provides hints, guidelines, instructions, etc. The same questions are asked over and over and over again and it becomes a bore to give repetitive answer. 99.99% of all newcomers questions have been asked and answered many times over, all it takes is a few minutes to utilize the "search" feature or poke around. Most just sign up and ask away, so most get the non-tolerated treatment. Not hard to click on search, is it? If so maybe they shouldn&#39;t be here.

It&#39;s not discrimination, it&#39;s called have some common sense. If you can read/fill in the registration field lines and click to sign up as a member, then there is no reason why a newcomer cannot fill in the search field and click to search.

If that cannot be done newbie behavior is not innocent of the ways of the forum, but mere laziness.

Ma5t3rM1nD
07-09-2003, 01:29 PM
I&#39;m going back quite a bit by saying this but all those "Zero" post&#39;s aren&#39;t only leechers. Some register at some time thinking the forum is sweet then maybe just maybe they make a few posts or even one and after a while forget about the forums they probadly even forget their username, password. So the reminder thing is a good idea not everyone bookmarks site they vist so after their account has not been active in a while a email can be sent informing them about the board and their account all of a sudden it will remind them about the board and they could be back. A lot of people probadly don&#39;t even know about the Verfieds section how are they supposded to when they can&#39;t see it so they don&#39;t register with those sections in mind, give them all a chance&#33;

geothermal78
07-09-2003, 11:31 PM
A few specific questions.....

Should we create a poll on what to do with zero post members ?

Does clicking a choice on a poll constitute a post ?

How much money does this board need to increase the number of users it can hold at one time ?

How much &#036; per member would it take to upgrade the message board bandwidth ?

How much in donations has been received so far ?

geothermal

BlizZ
07-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Whoaa, I have no idea what the heck you just said. You are smart. I hate math.

Snowdog
07-10-2003, 02:03 AM
I came, I saw, now I&#39;ll start posting. Just shy I guess. :(

angellynn26
07-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket@9 July 2003 - 08:15
Only thing overlooked is the fact the newcomers fail to review any part of forum that provides hints, guidelines, instructions, etc. The same questions are asked over and over and over again and it becomes a bore to give repetitive answer. 99.99% of all newcomers questions have been asked and answered many times over, all it takes is a few minutes to utilize the "search" feature or poke around. Most just sign up and ask away, so most get the non-tolerated treatment. Not hard to click on search, is it? If so maybe they shouldn&#39;t be here.

It&#39;s not discrimination, it&#39;s called have some common sense. If you can read/fill in the registration field lines and click to sign up as a member, then there is no reason why a newcomer cannot fill in the search field and click to search.

If that cannot be done newbie behavior is not innocent of the ways of the forum, but mere laziness.
yes, I realize this.. however, it IS awfully optimistic to think that everyone is going to read the FAQ&#39;s, etc.. because, let&#39;s face it, I&#39;ve never been on a forum with so many RULES and REGULATIONS. Most people just assume that it is a forum like any other... you sign up, you post your question, you wait for an answer.

As for doing the search... THE FORMAT OF THE FORUM WEBPAGE IS A LITTLE OVERWHELMING&#33; It takes some time spent on the forum before you even notice things like this... have some patience with new posters&#33; Guide them to the light, DO NOT ABUSE THEM&#33; AND... It is also common sense to treat people with courtesy, but if your mama did not teach you any manners, then I guess you lack a little common sense yourself&#33;

As anal as everyone is about it, you should force people to read the FAQ by making them answer questions on a quiz and get, like 70% correct before they can complete their registration for the forum... then we could all stop listening to complaints about this n00b and that not taking the time to read the damn FAQ&#39;s&#33;

Also, on the main webpage, www.k-lite.tk ... when you click on the forum button, you get a message before you enter that you should read the FAQ before entering. While that is allll good in theory, when you click on the forum button IN your Kazaa, it puts you right into the forum, WITHOUT that message. I dunno about most other people, but this is where I found the forum... NOT through the main webpage&#33;

I was not specifically talking about the information you can get in the FAQ either. I am also referring to all of the people that go into posts, and resort to name calling and rudeness as a way to tell people "The Way It Is" in this forum. It is ENTIRELY uncalled for, retarded behavior, no matter how you look at it. My whole point was that a LOT of people do not post on the forum because of that. Not everyone will sit by and allow others to abuse them, so why should they bother to post? If you get on the forum and read n00b flame like this, I&#39;m sorry but, most people are intimidated enough to not post, but only look around and get verifieds. I do not have an issue defending myself, but a lot of people refuse to even put themselves in that position.

And saying that people shouldn&#39;t be here if they can&#39;t do everything right from the first post... that is not only ridiculous of you to say, it is entirely UNREALISTIC. We all wish everyone would do things OUR way in this world, but don&#39;t you know that the wish is nothing more than wishful thinking?