PDA

View Full Version : GrabIt 1.7.0 ßeta released!

{I}{K}{E}
05-06-2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1035116379.jpgIt has been almost a year since our last release. A year with a lot of changes. One of the changes was the release of Microsoft Windows Vista. GrabIt 1.6.2 worked great with Vista, but needed some changes from the default configuration. GrabIt 1.7.0 has the default configuration changed to work with Vista immediately. I also restored the Windows 9x compatibility for people still working on Windows 95, 98 or Me.

Together with these compatibility changes I rewrote the search engine from scratch. Besides better scaling possibilities it can now search for partial words. This means that a search for 'rab' will also find binaries containing 'rab', 'rabbit', 'grabit' and 'arab'.

Another major update are two modules called RepairIt and ExtractIt that will automatically check your downloads for corruption (if PAR2 files have been downloaded) and when the downloads check out, they will be automatically extracted.

A full list of changes since GrabIt 1.6.2 is listed below. Go ahead and download the new build. Happy grabbing!

* New RepairIt and ExtractIt technology automatically checks, repairs and extracts downloaded binaries;
* Introduction of a new GrabIt Search method that enables you to find partial words (searching for 'rab' will find binaries containing 'rab', 'rabbit', 'grabit' and 'arab');
* New default Cache and Download folder locations for better Vista compatibility;
* The 1.7 generation is now fully compatible with Windows 9x again;
* Added a 'Create Folder' button to all folder select dialog boxes;
* Search and Browse Usenet code tweaked for better compatibility with some firewall software (eg. McAfee 2007 and Avast);
* Some small interface changes;
* Fixed the problem that caused some downloads getting stuck in the cache folder without being decoded;
* It is now possible to use the GrabIt Search over port 443;
* 'Article not found' errors can now be ignored to improve the chances of getting enough blocks for a PAR2 repair.

:view: Homepage: http://www.shemes.com/

Skiz
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Worth checking out for the auto extraction and auto repair features alone. :)

Mike Nelson
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Sweet. Mine is currently auto-extracting all the folders I couldn't be arsed to do myself. :happy:

bmh67wa
05-07-2007, 01:50 AM
This progam is still being updated? I have been using 1.5.3 since like forever now. I'll have to give this a try! :happy:

Skiz
05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
It seems it only extracts what it wants to. Down loaded 6 or 7 things tonight and it only extracted 3 of them. :unsure:

Mike Nelson
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
It is a bit buggy. I had all five seasons of Farscape in need of repairing and extracting and it went through them but I'm not missing 7 episodes. Looks like it failed to extract but deleted the rar files anyhow.

Still, it saved me a lot of needless clicking and I can re-download the missing episodes.

maynard
05-07-2007, 12:49 PM
It may be buggy but it still is what i use for news.

ezzzy
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
i find alt binz 10 times better, i did use grabit for a while though
this is what alt binz does, not so buggy as grabit, also no so cpu hungry, and free
Various usenet search engines fully supported.

Auto PAR & RAR

Full NZB file support.

Powerfull scheduler. this option is good for me, i have a limit what i can dl in the day

Full XPAT-server side search support.

Multi-server support.

Detailed log.

Collapse / Expand batches of files.

Customizable user interface.

Works on Linux !