PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Internal HD

Creeping Death
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Just got it working, and I'm chuffed with the 250GBs of extra space I now have at my disposal.

My question is this, is it possible that installing a new HD can lead to your computer slowing down considerably? Just waited about 2 minutes for firefox to start up. Maybe it's unrelated but it hasnt done this before and now it is, just after I installed the HD...

zapjb
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
If it's an addition & not a substitute. Yes, you could be maxing your PSU & other hardware.

Virtualbody1234
05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Try disconnecting the drive temporarily and see if the problem persists.

lynx
05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Try VB's suggestion, if the problem looks like it is caused by the additional drive then you need to supply more info.

More info you could give:
how are the drives connected (sata, ide)

if ide:
what make/model is the original drive
how have you got the jumpers set (Master/Slave or Cable Select)
which drive is connected to which cable and in what position.

if sata:
is the original drive sata2 and the new drive sata1?

Creeping Death
05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, thanks for the suggestions lads... I unplugged it as suggested, and everything was back to normal as far as I could tell.

@lynx - It's sata, but I only know that because it says it on there... not entirely sure whether it's sata1 or sata2 or what my original drive is.

Formula1
05-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Just got it working, and I'm chuffed with the 250GBs of extra space I now have at my disposal.

My question is this, is it possible that installing a new HD can lead to your computer slowing down considerably? Just waited about 2 minutes for firefox to start up. Maybe it's unrelated but it hasnt done this before and now it is, just after I installed the HD...

consider creating a partition..

Creeping Death
05-12-2007, 12:20 PM

I'll ask google about that and I'll get back to you on how it went

Cheers

clocker
05-12-2007, 01:05 PM

What good do you think "creating a partition" is going to do?
The OP has already discovered that the physical connection is the root cause of the problem, partitioning isn't going to have any effect on that....

Check the motherboard specs and see if it supports SATA2.
Check your new drive and see if it can be jumpered to enable/disable SATA2.
Once you've got the drive reinstalled properly...i.e., the PC runs/boots normally...then you can partition it any way you like.